• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Like B/W photography? Take a look at my Camino Photo Book

Charl

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis 2014
Tada! It's been about two months since we returned from Madrid after completing a 1140km Camino from Lourdes to Santiago. And finally my book of black and white photographs of the pilgrimage is finished and up on ISSUU. If you like black and white photography, I'd like to hear what you think, especially if you quite recently completed the Camino. Or you can just page through it for a few minutes, it'll certainly bring back a few memories of places you'll recognise. It's doesn't tell you where to sleep, what sleeping bag to take, or how to stop blisters, it's really just a few dozen black and white interpretations of the road we walked.

Once I've had some constructive feedback I may consider printing a few copies.

Here's where you'll see the whole book online: http://issuu.com/charldurand/docs/caminob-w2

The book is best viewed on the biggest computer screen you can find. Please, please, don't try and look at it on a smartphone. The photos need to be seen BIG.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Beautiful! Thank you so much for posting. My camino is still ahead of me, so no memories to bring back. But lovely glimpses of what's in store. Great album, and I enjoyed the stats as well -- especially "bedbugs - 0" :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Loved your photos - you are an amazing photographer. I am starting the Camino Frances in eight days, and this made me feel even more excited to be going. Thank you for sharing.

Tada! It's been about two months since we returned from Madrid after completing a 1140km Camino from Lourdes to Santiago. And finally my book of black and white photographs of the pilgrimage is finished and up on ISSUU. If you like black and white photography, I'd like to hear what you think, especially if you quite recently completed the Camino. Or you can just page through it for a few minutes, it'll certainly bring back a few memories of places you'll recognise. It's doesn't tell you where to sleep, what sleeping bag to take, or how to stop blisters, it's really just a few dozen black and white interpretations of the road we walked.

Here's where you'll see the whole book online: http://issuu.com/charldurand/docs/caminob-w2

The book is best viewed on the biggest computer screen you can find. Please, please, don't try and look at it on a smartphone. The photos need to be seen BIG.
Thank you for this.It brought back many memories.Somehow the rain looks wetter and the cold seems more bitter in black and white photos,but the atmospheric effect is greater for that.My one "complaint" is your statement that Spanish wine is bad.There is a current thread in this forum in which many members would dispute that with you.Thanks again.

Thank you for sharing - it is a lovely collection of images. I rather suspect that the on-screen format doesn't do justice to them, even on a larger laptop.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Beautiful. The commentary as well. And the pictue of the church in ruins in Viana was made for B&W. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Dear Charl = beautiful photo album! If you publish it, I'd like to buy a copy. What camera did you use? I'd like to do some black and white photography - I leave 9/27 - any suggestions greatly appreciated. - Leah

Astonishing photo album, well done!

Thank you for all the kind comments! Philip, I really wasn't being fair about the Spanish wine, there some good ones too. Few and far between, but there were, yes ;)

Then, apologies, I actually opened the book for comment before final proofreading so yes, there are a few literals and mistakes to be corrected, like 'Germany' being mentioned twice. Should have it all sorted by tomorrow.

About cameras - I used an iPhone 6 and an Olympus m10 mirrorless. Both were worth taking along. By the way most of the photos I appear in were taken by Adeline, all credit to her.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wonderful photos. Wonderful presentation. Wonderful interpretation of the Camino experience. If and when it goes to print, I'd love to have a copy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thankyou so very much for sharing these absolutely wonderful photos......a wonderful reminder of your journey. Black and White photography has such a special place in my heart and your photos are superb....I would encourage you to publish if you can. There are SO many Camino Books out there, detailing journeys in words, but, I see very few such as yours....I for one would love to purchase a copy, if and when you do print it. Regards, Susanawee.

Thanks. Very good photos. Black and with photography makes a different. Apparently not taken with a film camera. Maybe one time I'll bring a film camera with me. What lenses did you have on the road? How many batteries you had?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wonderful! I too would like a print copy please. :)

Thanks. Very good photos. Black and with photography makes a different. Apparently not taken with a film camera. Maybe one time I'll bring a film camera with me. What lenses did you have on the road? How many batteries you had?

Quite right, not a film camera but a mix of iPhone and an Olympus M10 mirrorless camera. I certainly wasn't going to carry my regular Canon 5D all the way! What made a huge difference is the 12-40mm 2.8 lens I had on, making it possible to shoot inside cathedrals with quite good results. I took one spare battery for it, and obviously chargers etc. also a small tripod which came to good use a few times. And yes, taking a small film camera might just be something I consider as well, on my next Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nice book!, above all, the texts , pure essence.

Thanks

Ime in trouble then
I can take adequate B&W with my lil Canon 130
But i can take more better adequate B&W with the 60D..

Ooohh the abject shame....
I will be one of"Those"pelegrinos..with the overstuffed pack.
Wonder what a Mamiya 645 would do..
My memories are carried forever wrapped up in the totality of my senses..
But it is the Camino..and I want others to see the wonders of it,
Charl.thanks,again for the time you spent their,giving us a taste of the Way!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Excellent piece of work, well done! I've always said B&W photos of Spain are timeless - a lot of your shots could have been take 70 years ago (but not as sharp!).

I love the way you put colour shots of your credential and compostela at either end.

I'm a rubbish artist (civil engineer so my drawings lack "life" according to my daughter) but I took a lot of Sketch-photos on my Android phone this year with an app called Paper Artist - instant pencil sketches!

Wow, those are beautiful pictures. What I want to know is where you ate in Monreal. I think that was probably our worse meal of the 1000 kms, so I am eager to hear what I missed!! Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ime in trouble then
I can take adequate B&W with my lil Canon 130
But i can take more better adequate B&W with the 60D..

Ooohh the abject shame....
I will be one of"Those"pelegrinos..with the overstuffed pack.
Wonder what a Mamiya 645 would do..
My memories are carried forever wrapped up in the totality of my senses..
But it is the Camino..and I want others to see the wonders of it,
Charl.thanks,again for the time you spent their,giving us a taste of the Way!
I saw a few hardcore photographers with large DSLRs and they survived reasonably well. I think the distance you walk in a day has a lot to do with it, and the type of carrying mechanism you have. You don't don't want to carry a DSLR around your neck the whole time! I really found the mirrorless Olympus to be the best trade-off between size and pic quality. It's not art gallery quality but good enough for everything else.

I beg to differ sir!
Respectfully...I think the Met,the Louvre or any Museum of character would be forever blessed to show what a true vision,presented faithfully of the Camino would be like.
Its not the brush
Its the soul of the artist most valued i think.
Keep up the work,the walk and show us the wonder of your vision!

Beautiful! Thank you so much for posting. My camino is still ahead of me, so no memories to bring back. But lovely glimpses of what's in store. Great album, and I enjoyed the stats as well -- especially "bedbugs - 0" :)
Really lovely photos, thanks for posting....I have 15 more sleeps before my first Camino begins....SO EXCITED!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well done.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.