• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who's Walking the Coastal Route in 2015?

I am starting on Sept. 23 from Lisbon. I am arriving on the 22nd around 8:30 and will take the metro to the Cathedral and walk back to Parque de Nacoes Hostal and spend the night. From there to Povoa de Santa Iria is only 16 km, hopefully there is somewhere to stay there, someone on the forum mentioned there was a not too nice place, which is ok so long as there is a bed and a shower. Hope to see you somewhere along the way, but as I am taking it rather slow, might not catch up to you.
In Póvoa de Santa Iria is a 4 star hotel.
A few kms on you are in Alvera do Ribatejo where are some hostals but advise it there to walk to the station and take the commuter train to Azambuja to skip the walk along the dangerous N10 busy main road.

If you do not like to walk 30 kms + per day you can use Mario's excellent pickup and drop service from Santarèm but as you have a look on the Portugese map(f.ex. Google maps) you'll see that the commutertrain from Lisbon offers great services to skip about 10kms on each trails as far as Santarèm and Gōlega

My wife and I do not walk more than 20kms a day and coped with it all the time and all the way to Santiago.
In july 2014 I posted our whole walk from Lisbon to Santiago aswell did Amorfati1. on this forum. It is worthwhile reading back on this forum. It takes some time but it is nice and interesting to read about experiences of others and you will be well prepared..

My next caminho Portugues within 2 weeks from now is prepared .the only thing we have to do is make the first step and copy that one a million times to get in Santiago.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you Albertinho, you are always so generous with your advice. I have your and Amorfati's itineraries as well as looking at Magwood's blog. I know that once you step foot on the Camino, it takes over. But I enjoy the planning and anticipation, it is what keeps me going between caminos!

The commuter trains are a very good option, I'm glad to see that 20 km a day is doable. I am sure I will also use Mario's Pick and Drop service.

Good luck on your upcoming caminho, and I will be following your blog as you go.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Its in rua Hortas, which is the street you enter after you go down the steps at the side of the Parador. ( that narrow street before crossing over the main road - can't remember the name of it). Anyway, it's on your right hand side after going down the steps. It's small ( 7 rooms), looks charming and reasonably priced! Once the new Pilgrim's office is opened, it's just around the corner.
Anna - I stayed in Hortas in 2012 can recommend it, basic but adequate. They don't serve evening meals but they recommended Tarara which is just around the corner in Rue das Carretas, nice food not expensive. Café Tertulia is just at the bottom of Rue das Carretas. The hotel will store rented bikes to be collected.

We know our way around Santiago well enough FlyingScotsman, as apart from our various Caminos, we served as Amigos in the Pilgrim Office 2 years ago, so we're privileged to be able to get to know the town better. Every day, we walked past this little hotel to our lodgings and I was curious to stay somewhere else than S. Martin Pinario.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello again its martyn, I am planning a walk from valenca to santiago in 2015 celebrating my 70 th birthday.
I am going to be walking to celebrate my 40th. Cool. I turn in June, so fly in on June 14th. Blessings on your birthday!

We will be walking the coastal route in reverse, Santiago to Porto, in the first 2 weeks of August 2015.
Hello! I'm planning on walking this route backwards too, starting end of August. Have you found anything useful to help planning? I'm going with a few friends and am in charge of organising!!

Thank you :)

I have a half warmed fish rising in my breast that I'd like to walk from Porto in late September.
I have a friend who is keen on the walking, but less so on communal living. Accepting this desire,
rather than debating it, is it possible to cover this route using non dormitary accommodation ?
( Dormitary being a made up word meaning less than or equal to 4 people to a room. He's not
insisting on a private room each evening but doesn't relish the prospect of 10+. He's not a snob, he's
not a posh lad ...... he's a snorer like myself and is tired of the confrontation it brings from people
who should have spent £3 in Boots buying decent ear plugs )

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It most certainly is possible. As well as the reasons to which you refer, but also because my aged, tired body reguires complete recuperation every evening, I've stayed in private Pensaos, hotels and hospederias since I left Porto three days ago having pre-booked the first night in Matosinhos and the planned last night in Santiago. Because I didn't book ahead for Viano do Castelo, currently enjoying considerable comfort this evening. Not the 'authentic peregrino communal experience perhaps, but my body, particularly the feet cry out for it and I can eat when it suits me best viz. not late - so I can sleep.

Hi Meldelcamino. Thanks for the reply. I see you're from Suffolk, my favourite holiday destination in England !

Buen Camino

Hey Dacce! If you'll be in Porto before the 29th, we can meet up and compare notes. Right now, I'm just tying up loose ends for my pre-Caminho trip to Lisbon.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm planning to walk from Porto to Santiago de Compostela sometime in 2015, probably September. Walked the Frances route last year. Anyone else making a plan for the coastal route ?

I and my two sons are leaving from PORTO on about June 13, 2015...planning on a mixture of coastal, then inland. We have about 10 days..We are very fit, adventurous ( I have done francis + Norte= solo previous) We are coming from Lisbon...If anybody has SUGGESTIONS regarding best town to cut over to main route, "do not miss places"...." you can skip this place"...etc. I WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IT. thanks( I may just start a thread on this) .....Dave, Chico, CA.

I and my two sons are leaving from PORTO on about June 13, 2015...planning on a mixture of coastal, then inland. We have about 10 days..We are very fit, adventurous ( I have done francis + Norte= solo previous) We are coming from Lisbon...If anybody has SUGGESTIONS regarding best town to cut over to main route, "do not miss places"...." you can skip this place"...etc. I WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IT. thanks( I may just start a thread on this) .....Dave, Chico, CA.

If you ask me - I would NOT cut down to the central route - not before Redondela.
But that is me...

I'd say go up to Vila do Conde then to S. P. Rates. No a pleasant section this, but from Rates onwards the Caminho is interesting.

If it was July or August, with the heat in the day and the warm nights, the towns in the coastal would be really great to relax after the walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you ask me - I would NOT cut down to the central route - not before Redondela.
But that is me...
But that is me...

I have just booked a flight to Porto to start walking September 14. My partner will walk the first few days with me. Neither of us has done any camino before.

I also think a mixture of coastal and inland would be great, but just starting research (guide book en route). I was assuming the coastal route only would become repetitious but not sure how easy it is to cross over.

I'd also love any recommendations on the route and I'll be sure to search this site for more info.
Thanks, Amy, Denver, CO

I have just booked a flight to Porto to start walking September 14. My partner will walk the first few days with me. Neither of us has done any camino before.

I also think a mixture of coastal and inland would be great, but just starting research (guide book en route). I was assuming the coastal route only would become repetitious but not sure how easy it is to cross over.

I'd also love any recommendations on the route and I'll be sure to search this site for more info.
Thanks, Amy, Denver, CO

Well, I have not walked the central Portugues yet. So I can´t say anything about that. All I know is many pilgrims love it!
I have walked the coastal route twice and it is gorgeous. Very lonely though. But I don´t mind that at all.
If you need a camino family and lots of other pilgrims you should rather walk the central route. But we all are different which is fine :)

€46,-
Yes, a lot of road walking on mostly quiet roads. Also a lot of walking on board walks. Not that much narrow walking paths.

I'm planning to walk from Porto to Santiago de Compostela sometime in 2015, probably September. Walked the Frances route last year. Anyone else making a plan for the coastal route ?

Hi Milepost99,
I am planning to do the same, arriving in Porto on 30 or 31 August, to hopefully walk the coastal route and planned arrival in Santiago; 10 or 11 Sept. My friend will meet me in Valenca or Tui. Hope to see you on the way. Cheers; Kylie M.

Hi Milepost99,
I am planning to do the same, arriving in Porto on 30 or 31 August, to hopefully walk the coastal route and planned arrival in Santiago; 10 or 11 Sept. My friend will meet me in Valenca or Tui. Hope to see you on the way. Cheers; Kylie M.
So you are not walking the complete coastal route ?
The coastal goes from Porto via Esposende, Viana do Castelo, Vila Praia de Ãncora, Caminha, A Guarda, Oia, Baiona and Vigo to Redondela where it hits the central route.
By going to Valença you come as far as Caminha and then head to the central route.
The crossing of the Minho river by ferry or a fisherman's boat is very nice and following the Spanish coast from A Guarda to Vigo is a beautifull walk.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So you are not walking the complete coastal route ?
The coastal goes from Porto via Esposende, Viana do Castelo, Vila Praia de Ãncora, Caminha, A Guarda, Oia, Baiona and Vigo to Redondela where it hits the central route.
By going to Valença you come as far as Caminha and then head to the central route.
The crossing of the Minho river by ferry or a fisherman's boat is very nice and following the Spanish coast from A Guarda to Vigo is a beautifull walk.
I doubt everything now!! I'm not sure which is best, but thanks for taking the time to give advice. Cheers; Ky

I am leaving Porto for the coastal route on Sunday mornig, the 19th of July, 2015. I am very excited about it... :)

September it is! Flying into Lisbon end of August, then will begin walking in Porto somewhere around 1 Sep. This will be my first Camino; so excited now that I can say I'm headed to Europe 'next month'!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Leaving Porto 15 Sept might see you on the way.

My 2 friends and I from N.Ontario, Canada will begin walking the coastal route from Porto 9/9/2015. Wondering how well the route is marked? This is my first camino. I'm excited! Any advice?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My 2 friends and I from N.Ontario, Canada will begin walking the coastal route from Porto 9/9/2015. Wondering how well the route is marked? This is my first camino. I'm excited! Any advice?
The caminho Portugues is well way marked.
Are you following the whole coastline or only the first one or two days out of Porto to Vila do Conde ?

Bom caminho

Most read last week in this forum

Hi We are on the Camino and wanted to warn our fellow travellers to stay away from O MUINO camping/ bungalow Park. They have signs on the road from Mougas saying pilgrim breakfast available...
I seem to recall reading somewhere that some of the Hotels or Pensions may have pilgrim rates that are lower than what you see on booking.com? If this is true how common is this and do you...
Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back