• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

My single most important mistake, repeated on all my 5 Caminos

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
RUSH.

Even if I am fully aware of it, (to som extent), at some point I begin to think that I should reach this or that place during the day, or not being contempt by walking less that 20K/day, and so I stress myself a little, instead of just walking in peace. I remind myself all the time to not worry, and relax/slow down and enjoy the now, but still I get the urge. It is really irritating, especially as I am retired, have no return ticket, and can be on the Way as long as I want. I am also VERY aware of the anti-climax when hittting Santiago and realising that my walk has ended, :(

Also, the temptation to skip some stretches (especially out of Leon) by bus, instead of just going on in peace and accept the Way as it is...

Oh well, next time... And it will not be long until I go again... Maybe med Sept. or just after Easter 2016: The Way is constantly calling on me...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Also, the temptation to skip some stretches (especially out of Leon) by bus, instead of just going on in peace and accept the Way as it is...
Ah, the converstations I have with myself nonstop: "how much further do I have to go", "I can't go any further", "Where can I find a bus", " When I find the next cafe I will call a cab", etc., etc., etc., only to keep walking, arriving to my destination, and looking forward to walking the next day, and the next year

Love my Ingles...l an sauntering on purpose and am loving it. I was so stressed for time on the Portuguese in July and the Sanabres early August...l promised myself not to repeat that for my walks in Galicia.

But I understand what you mean..who knows how l would feel and act on the CF.

I thing l still have not mastered to my satisfaction is the packing...but at least Ivar gets some business.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
RUSH.

Even if I am fully aware of it, (to som extent), at some point I begin to think that I should reach this or that place during the day, or not being contempt by walking less that 20K/day, and so I stress myself a little, instead of just walking in peace. I remind myself all the time to not worry, and relax/slow down and enjoy the now, but still I get the urge. It is really irritating, especially as I am retired, have no return ticket, and can be on the Way as long as I want. I am also VERY aware of the anti-climax when hittting Santiago and realising that my walk has ended, :(

Oh well, next time... And it will not be long until I go again... Maybe med Sept. or just after Easter 2016: The Way is constantly calling on me...

This is a great reminder. Thanks.

Since you've done the Camino a number of times, any suggestions for when to start out in spring of 2016 that will help me avoid both late spring rain and early summer heat? I'm thinking of doing my walk from the beginning of May into mid-June, or mid-May through the end of June. And of course, Mother Nature can be completely unpredictable regardless! Especially with El Nino looming in the future! Any suggestions? Advice? Thanks!

Love my Ingles...l an sauntering on purpose and am loving it. I was so stressed for time on the Portuguese in July and the Sanabres early August...l promised myself not to repeat that for my walks in Galicia.

I thing l still have not mastered to my satisfaction is the packing...but at least Ivar gets some business.

Sauntering-- I love that word. I'll try to remember it when I am on Vdlp. If I don't make it all the way to Santiago, it'll be a good excuse to come back.

RUSH.

Hey, Alex, maybe you should try to walk with me - no such problems ;)
"Caminar rapido, descansar tranquilo" they say about me (or something like that...). Nothing strange for me to do just 10kms. On the other hand 40kms isn't rare also :p

Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Since you've done the Camino a number of times, any suggestions for when to start out in spring of 2016 that will help me avoid both late spring rain and early summer heat? I'm thinking of doing my walk from the beginning of May into mid-June, or mid-May through the end of June. And of course, Mother Nature can be completely unpredictable regardless! Especially with El Nino looming in the future! Any suggestions? Advice? Thanks!

Hello dee bright,

Mother Nature rules!

If you are intending that your Camino will be the Camino Frances, then I believe opting for a mid-May start (from where-ever that may be), given the records that are available would present your best chance of getting what you want.

My Caminos were mid-May starts from StJPDP and the weather was pretty good most days.

If you plan on walking through Galicia be prepared for rain any time of the year

Buen (fair-weather) Camino.

I've not really given this thought before, but on each of my three caminos I have averaged around 27 km's per day, without any days off. On my first camino, the CF, the daily distances were fairly similar, but the second and third (CP and Mozárabe) varied hugely from as little as 15 km to as many as 45 km. yet still averaged at 27 km. It is obviously a rhythm I am comfortable with, and thus far I have always preferred to take a short day into a town of interest, rather than take a complete day off.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are beginning to lean towards September 2016 also. I have learned that skipping some of the long residential sidewalks and commercial areas is a better option for us, pavement is not our friend. It was never more apparent then we walked the Portuguese this spring. We have at times through physical euphoria and painless days walked faster and longer than needed, we paid for them. In 2014 we met a wonderful priest from upstate New York (he was Spanish by birth), he was walking the Camimo in sections each year. When we met him he was fresh to another leg of his Camino and not showing the signs of 22 days on the Camino. Anyways we pushed ourselves to walk with him and our knees paid a price.

Lesson learned, listen to your body.

Last edited:
RUSH.

Alex, I have the same problem! I seem to have a rhythm of walking that is naturally fast. I find that no matter how much I berate myself and try to slow down it won't last. My solution is to take longer stops in the little villages on the way. Always an excuse for cafe or cerveza, huh?

I stress myself a little, instead of just walking in peace. I remind myself all the time to not worry, and relax/slow down and enjoy the now, but still I get the urge.
There is a difference between "rushing" and "walking quickly." Rushing means you are going too fast for your comfort. That's an unfortunately thing to be doing on the camino. However, if you feel like brisk walking at a fast pace, that does not necessarily mean you are rushing. One can "enjoy the now" at various speeds!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ah, the converstations I have with myself nonstop: "how much further do I have to go", "I can't go any further", "Where can I find a bus", " When I find the next cafe I will call a cab", etc., etc., etc., only to keep walking, arriving to my destination, and looking forward to walking the next day, and the next year
I'm tired, my feet hurt, I'm hungry, are we there yet, I need to go to the bathroom, I'm thirsty.

There is a difference between "rushing" and "walking quickly." Rushing means you are going too fast for your comfort. That's an unfortunately thing to be doing on the camino. However, if you feel like brisk walking at a fast pace, that does not necessarily mean you are rushing. One can "enjoy the now" at various speeds!

I just want to second C clearly's observation. Walking quickly has nothing to do with how much you enjoy the camino or "smell the roses." It only determines how long it takes you to walk from point A to point B. What you do at Point A and Point B is totally up to you -- you can "rush" through or you can smell the roses.

I stress about getting a bed at the albergue, and often stops earlier than I really want for the days walk to get the damned bed !
It helps a lot, at the times with less pilgrims on the same camino, or when I can pre-book a private albergue ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I should have been more precise: By RUSH I do not mean walking speed (I do 4.5-5 km/h; pretty fast?).

I mean the RUSH you build up inside to get from A to B, forgetting that you are on (for many) a life-changing journey, and in the midst of it, you let your (my) stressful experiences from a 21st century lifestyle push you onwards and forward, instead of appreciating the now, and SLOW DOWN. Santiago comes quick enough, and then it's game over. I know I am extremely lucky not to have time constraints, and can stay in Spain as long as needed. Still this RUSH infects me from time to time... Must work hard on it.

And yes, I can understand the stress of the bed-chase; but honestly, I have never been rejected in an albergue, maybe due to the fact that I start out at 6.30-7 AM, so by 1-2 PM I get me a bed, enjoy the place I'm in, do food shopping and prepare the rest of my day- And always do the best of the situation, including interacting with interesting people from all over the world. Just my 0.02$.

PS: But of course, if you walk into a village/town at 5-6-7 PM, you may be in trouble finding a bed. I have seen a couple of them in my years on the Camino.

Last edited:
I should have been more precise: By RUSH I do not mean walking speed (I do 4.5-5 km/h; pretty fast?).

I mean the RUSH you build up inside to get from A to B, forgetting that you are on (for many) a life-changing journey, and in the midst of it, you let your (my) stressful experiences from a 21st century lifestyle push you onwards and forward, instead of appreciating the now, and SLOW DOWN. Santiago comes quick enough, and then it's game over. I know I am extremely lucky not to have time constraints, and can stay in Spain as long as needed. Still this RUSH infects me from time to time... Must work hard on it.

And yes, I can understand the stress of the bed-chase; but honestly, I have never been rejected in an albergue, maybe due to the fact that I start out at 6.30-7 AM, so by 1-2 PM I get me a bed, enjoy the place I'm in, do food shopping and prepare the rest of my day- And always do the best of the situation, incvluding interacting with interesting people from all over the world. Just my 0.02$.

PS: But of course, if you walk into a village/town at 5-6-7 PM, you may be in trouble finding a bed.
#^\€!!! Here you go encouraging people to wake the rest of us up to get a bed but I do get the difference between able normal speed and rushing, hence why I posted about my "Am I yet there" demon....☺️

He, he, dear Anemone: I can assure you that if I could sleep to 10 AM I would be a very happy man, but the maniacs getting up insanely early just makes me get up and start going. :mad:
Having said that: Each night I prepare my pack and stuff, so that when I wake up, I am out of the albergue 10 mins. later. I am the fastest (and most tired) morning packer/pilgrim you'll ever meet. Teeth brushing, shower, repackaging, can be done at arrival, and breakfast/coffee is enjoyed in the next village. And of course a cold (very cold) beer as soon as the sun takes its toll.:) Aaahhhh, I miss the Elvis bar! I was alone there for 1 hour with the owner: 2 cold beers, and he served hamon (ham) on the house! Needless to say, I left some coins on the table when leaving.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
He, he, dear Anemone: I can assure you that if I could sleep to 10 AM I would be a very happy man, but the maniacs getting up insanely early just makes me get up and start going. :mad:
Having said that: Each night I prepare my pack and stuff, so that when I wake up, I am out of the albergue 10 mins. later. I am the fastest (and most tired) morning packer/pilgrim you'll ever meet. Teeth brushing, shower, repackaging, can be done at arrival, and breakfast/coffee is enjoyed in the next village. And of course a cold (very cold) beer as soon as the sun takes its toll.:) Aaahhhh, I miss the Elvis bar! I was alone there for 1 hour with the owner: 2 cold beers, and he served hamon (ham) on the house! Needless to say, I left some coins on the table when leaving.
@alexwalker , I think you and I should write a book about pm and am routines it's all in the planning, and that only comes from experince. Practice makes perfect, so, If you do not have practice, do not get up with the manoacs who force people put of bed, and one day we will all rise at a reasonable hour.

Well, good judgements come from experience;
Experience comes from bad judgements.

The worst was a Scottish old couple walking in shorts only, in April, where we had 21 days of rain, cold and wind on the VdlP. The man got up (solid state alarm clock) with much noise at 5 AM, made a lot of noise in the kitchen, came back into the dormitory at 5.30 and proudly announced in a high voice: "Breakfast is ready dear!" Everybody was wild awake! They were still in the kitchen eating some funny veggie food when the rest of the pilgrims, very tired, left at 7.30... After 2 nights I had had enough: I sat in a bar and watched them pass, then booked a bed in the nearest albergue, and never saw them again until Santiago (& Finisterre), but that's another horror story...

Last edited:
Another reason I'm walking less walked Caminos. And will continue to do so ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

And yes, I can understand the stress of the bed-chase; but honestly, I have never been rejected in an albergue, maybe due to the fact that I start out at 6.30-7 AM, so by 1-2 PM I get me a bed, enjoy the place I'm in, do food shopping and prepare the rest of my day- And always do the best of the situation, including interacting with interesting people from all over the world. Just my 0.02$.

PS: But of course, if you walk into a village/town at 5-6-7 PM, you may be in trouble finding a bed. I have seen a couple of them in my years on the Camino.

There's a little irony here -- you're suggesting that the people who walk faster actually may rush less, and I agree with you! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Ingrid

Just saw your post, and immediately remembered you and the very friendly welcome that you gave both me and Pia on our first day when we arrived in Zamora. We had a great walk, though absurdly hot and far too many unplanned deviations, especially the first week after leaving Zamora. We are now planning for walking on the San Salvador during Easter next year ! The young Pia remains as enthusiastic and determined as ever.

Very warm wishes

Andrew

Ps : We came across the Korean man who you told us about, though we were surprised that his approach was to walk a few kms and then when he chose to, he hitched a lift.

Hi Ingrid

Just saw your post, and immediately remembered you and the very friendly welcome that you gave both me and Pia on our first day when we arrived in Zamora. We had a great walk, though absurdly hot and far too many unplanned deviations, especially the first week after leaving Zamora. We are now planning for walking on the San Salvador during Easter next year ! The young Pia remains as enthusiastic and determined as ever.

Very warm wishes

Andrew

Ps : We came across the Korean man who you told us about, though we were surprised that his approach was to walk a few kms and then when he chose to, he hitched a lift.
Hi Andrew. Did Pia get her clothing..we tried very hard to figure out were you would be. D'Olors drove it somewhere.

It was such pleasure to have you at Zamora... well l guess when you are 81 one makes allowances..lngrid

Hi Andrew. Did Pia get her clothing..we tried very hard to figure out were you would be. D'Olors drove it somewhere.

It was such pleasure to have you at Zamora... well l guess when you are 81 one makes allowances..lngrid

Oh Ingrid, we had no idea that Pia had forgotten her PJ's in the shower room at Zamora until we arrived at the Albergue in Riego de Camino and then we began the process of arranging to try and catch up with them. Sadly, we never did catch up with the PJ's - which were just the first of a few things that were lost to the Camino this year. Whatever, really appreciate your efforts to ensure that it was returned to Pia - so many thanks to you and Dolors.

If anyone does find a light green peaked sun hat somewhere around about Pont Ulla - it has the name tape with the name Pia Isabella inside - it would be really great to see this hat again !

Regards
Pia Isabella
Pelegrina

There's a little irony here -- you're suggesting that the people who walk faster actually may rush less, and I agree with you! Buen camino, Laurie

I walk fast, most of the time i'm the last one to leave the albergue, i take my sweat time packing, washing, brushing teeth while listening to some cool wake up music on my tiny bluetooth speaker attached to my pack, i stop a million times a day for my beloved cafe cortado and tortilla, usualy overtake all 6am pilgrims, sometimes like to walk until 6 pm (if weather is nice) and always have a bed, often end up with another 40+km day and eventhough many pilgrims think i am rushing through it all, i sometimes feel i'm the most relaxed pilgrim out there.

Go figure

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello dee bright,

Mother Nature rules!

If you are intending that your Camino will be the Camino Frances, then I believe opting for a mid-May start (from where-ever that may be), given the records that are available would present your best chance of getting what you want.

My Caminos were mid-May starts from StJPDP and the weather was pretty good most days.

If you plan on walking through Galicia be prepared for rain any time of the year

Buen (fair-weather) Camino.

Thanks, John. Unfortunately your recommendation comes just after I booked my air! So I'll be stepping onto the Camino on May 2 instead of mid-May. Oh well, whatever ensues, it's all part of the Camino experience, right? :eek:)

I walk fast, most of the time i'm the last one to leave the albergue, i take my sweat time packing, washing, brushing teeth while listening to some cool wake up music on my tiny bluetooth speaker attached to my pack, i stop a million times a day for my beloved cafe cortado and tortilla, usualy overtake all 6am pilgrims, sometimes like to walk until 6 pm (if weather is nice) and always have a bed, often end up with another 40+km day and eventhough many pilgrims think i am rushing through it all, i sometimes feel i'm the most relaxed pilgrim there.

Go figure
Long strides. I walk like a geisha amd envy you because in the end I imagine I am putting preasure on my feet twice as many times than you do with one long stride for my 2 short ones. Oh the envy!

I'm flying out on May 3rd and starting my Camino from SJPP on the 4th. I don't think that there is any guarantee of the weather patterns as they can differ wildly from year to year. Maybe see you there. Buen Camino!

RUSH.

I think that the writers of the guidebooks that have broken the Camino into “stages” (like the Tour de France) have done us a favor by breaking a seemingly impossible journey into do-able daily components. But we do ourselves a disfavor if we look at the stages as if it were the Tour de France, i.e. each day as a non-negotiable endurance test as we compete against ourselves and the field for time, place, and yellow jersey (choice of beds in one’s choice of Albergues).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Back