• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Other "caminolike" walks

ton vaessen

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Starting 25 march 2015 from Sevilla
Hello,
In march and april I walked my first camino from Sevilla, a few days after Zamora I had to quit because of muscle problem. (Next year I'll be back) I enjoyed walking the camino mainly for three reasons :
the changes in lifestyle and lifepatterns that follow from many days of walking and
The meeting of many interesting fellowwalkers from all over the world and with many different backgrounds and t
The cultural and historical aspects of walking through an old country like Spain and cities like Sevilla, Merida and Salamanca.
Most people I met had been walking other caminos (in fact only after more than 4 weeks I met another pilgrim for who this was his first camino too) I wondered what made people come time and again to the camino, I asked many other walkers, their answers came for the most part down to the same points I mentioned earlier. I also asked what they find in the camino what they cannot find elsewhere. I expected that many people would mention spiritual or religeous reasons. This was not the case (for me this applies too)
Any answers from readers to these questions are very welcom.
This brings me to my second question. About 25 years ago I travelled 3 times to Nepal to trek in the Himalaya Mountains. I enjoyed this very much, for the same reasons I liked the camino so much. My question to the forum: do you know from your own experience other walks that are similar relating to possibilities of meeting other trekkers, nice landscapes and cultural interesting. I like walking alone but it would be nice to meet others in the resting places. (Its a precious balance between being "cosy" and being "overcrowded") Of course I could go again to Nepal, but if I would have the same muscleproblems which made me quit this camino I probably would have a major problem in " getting out"
Anyway this is for future plans, first I'll finish the Sanabresway and probably also walk the Primitivo.
Thank you for your reactions.
Greetings from the Netherlands
Ton Vaessen

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Ton,

My reasons have to do with being able to strip all the chatter and clutter from my life, to be fully aware every day of how very lucky I am, and to walk. No matter how hard I try, and no matter how many people tell me there are lots of Camino-like walks all over the world, I keep coming back to walk a Camino every year. There are so many to choose from, each one so different one from the other, that I think I will be well into my feeble years and still have a few un-walked. But if you figure out how to break the hold the Camino exerts, please let me know and I will try to follow your example. :)

Buen camino, Laurie

Hello,
In march and april I walked my first camino from Sevilla, a few days after Zamora I had to quit because of muscle problem. (Next year I'll be back) I enjoyed walking the camino mainly for three reasons :
the changes in lifestyle and lifepatterns that follow from many days of walking and
The meeting of many interesting fellowwalkers from all over the world and with many different backgrounds and t
The cultural and historical aspects of walking through an old country like Spain and cities like Sevilla, Merida and Salamanca.
Most people I met had been walking other caminos (in fact only after more than 4 weeks I met another pilgrim for who this was his first camino too) I wondered what made people come time and again to the camino, I asked many other walkers, their answers came for the most part down to the same points I mentioned earlier. I also asked what they find in the camino what they cannot find elsewhere. I expected that many people would mention spiritual or religeous reasons. This was not the case (for me this applies too)
Any answers from readers to these questions are very welcom.
This brings me to my second question. About 25 years ago I travelled 3 times to Nepal to trek in the Himalaya Mountains. I enjoyed this very much, for the same reasons I liked the camino so much. My question to the forum: do you know from your own experience other walks that are similar relating to possibilities of meeting other trekkers, nice landscapes and cultural interesting. I like walking alone but it would be nice to meet others in the resting places. (Its a precious balance between being "cosy" and being "overcrowded") Of course I could go again to Nepal, but if I would have the same muscleproblems which made me quit this camino I probably would have a major problem in " getting out"
Anyway this is for future plans, first I'll finish the Sanabresway and probably also walk the Primitivo.
Thank you for your reactions.
Greetings from the Netherlands
Ton Vaessen
You're probably well-aware of the Grand Randonees in France. There is much to pick from and I'm sure you could string together a wonderful long hike on them - the French walk them alot - I don't think the lodging is as inexpensive as on the Caminos, though. We hiked one on the northern coast of Brittany that was beautiful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In Japan there is the Shikoku pilgrimage which involves visiting 88 main temples which is 1200 km long, the Japan 100 Kannon and the Kumano Kodo 258 km as well as a variety of others.The Shikoku and Kannon have a Japanese credential similar to that on the Camino. Japan can be very expensive though if you are using private accommodation. These are pilgrimages where I would use a tent whenever possible to keep the costs down!

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back