• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrying Collapsable Poles on the Plane

Judd

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2015
My wife and I are hoping to avoid checking a bag and wondered if anyone has tried to carry on collapsable hiking poles. The TSA site mentions ski poles and we tried to get a straight answer from them, but were unsuccessful. I've seen other threads where people mention checking them in, but didn't know if anyone just takes the small collapsable ones on the plane inside their pack.

Cheers,
Judd

A selection of Camino Jewellery
we tried to get a straight answer from them, but were unsuccessful.
TSA ignores direct questions on trekking poles. It will be a crap shoot; some agents will ignore them, others will confiscate them. Coming home, Santiago security is fairly consistent in confiscating them. To be safe, check them as hold baggage.

My wife and I are hoping to avoid checking a bag and wondered if anyone has tried to carry on collapsable hiking poles. The TSA site mentions ski poles and we tried to get a straight answer from them, but were unsuccessful. I've seen other threads where people mention checking them in, but didn't know if anyone just takes the small collapsable ones on the plane inside their pack.

Cheers,
Judd

Ask your airline.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Falcon. At least I have an excuse to pack some comfy cotton clothes for the flight

Where are you flying from? I've flown twice from the U.S. with my poles (that when collapsed were the length of my pack), passing through several checks, including London Heathrow, without a problem. I cross them at the back of my pack - maybe they look like part of the frame... I also have rubber tips on the ends. I was, however, stopped when returning from Bilbao, Spain. I had attached them to the exterior so I'm not sure if I would have been stopped if they were inside. I'm guessing yes because I understand the TSA is more strict in Spain. Your airline really can't help you as it really depends on the TSA agent.

I have carried my poles on, inside my pack, for the past six years. Rubber tips on ends. Sometimes pulled apart for more room.
Never an issue! Includes U.S. And transfers in Europe...except Santiago.
Ask the TSA and they say no on the phone because that is the easy answer.

It probably is a chance that an individual agent might deny. I do not know anyone who has been denied. I hear stories... but never first person accounts in the U.S.

The worst that would happen is that you would have to go back and check the poles. I used to carry a tube in case that happened....but no longer bother as they simply go through without a question.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Cheers,
Judd

Hi, Judd,
I always jump on the soapbox when this topic comes up, because I think there is too much misinformation out there.

I'm limiting my comments to the US and TSA. Other countries are probably different. There are some who say it's impossible to carry on poles, there are some who say it's risky, and then there are some like grayland and me who say we have done it time and time and time again and have never had a problem. I have frequently asked the naysayers for a specific example of someone who was prevented by a TSA agent in the US from carrying poles through security and I have never found any. Other countries, yes -- England may be a problem (so if you're making a transfer within Europe you need more information from others), Santiago definitely won't let them through, etc etc.

It is always possible that an individual TSA agent will exercise his/her discretion and prevent you from bringing them on, but my batting average now is 0/20 or 30, because I frequently bring my poles to do hiking within the US.

To be ultra careful, I always carry a lightweight duffel bag so that if the agent prohibits the poles, I can run and check them in. Upon arrival in Spain, I then ship that duffel up to Santiago to my hotel so I can bring home lots of goodies, but you could just bring a throw-away bag that would serve to check the poles if needed.

The odds are high that checked bags will make it with you. I never have checked my pack but used to check my poles -- until they got lost and I had to scramble in Madrid to buy a new pair before my train to Sevilla and the Vdlp. Too much hassle, I much prefer to have them with me.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. I have also never heard of any airline flying to Europe from the US who prohibited a passenger from bringing them on.

Come to think about it, I even passed through airport security in Madrid on route to Pamplona with my poles in my carry on pack.

Come to think about it, I even passed through airport security in Madrid on route to Pamplona with my poles in my carry on pack.

Yes, I have transferred in Madrid from my US flight to an internal Spain flight and have also carried them on with no problem on flights to Bilbao, Pamplona, Valencia, and Barcelona. I do know for a fact though that you can't get them through Santiago's security, so I always pack them up on the way home. Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Yes, I have transferred in Madrid from my US flight to an internal Spain flight and have also carried them on with no problem on flights to Bilbao, Pamplona, Valencia, and Barcelona. I do know for a fact though that you can't get them through Santiago's security, so I always pack them up on the way home. Buen camino, Laurie

Well in 6 days I will be attempting to do the same as I will fly from Salt Lake City to Dallas to Madrid to Pamplona. I will be carrying my backpack with my collapsed poles sticking out the top.

Mike

Ok, one more test case! Mike, do you have a Plan B just in case? Good luck and a very buen camino to you. I'm sure you have all those pre-camino jitters, anxieties, and nerves right now, what I would give to be suffering in that way at this moment!

Plan B would be to check the poles as I am bringing the lightweight bag that they came in so I can check them in Santiago for the trip home.

Yes a little bit of jitters but they are of a little different type than I thought they would be. I feel physically ready and now am (just a little) concerned that I spent all this time getting physically ready and very little time preparing spiritually.

Thanks for the good wishes Laurie.

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've never had a problem. Often I'll put one (collapsed) in my carryon pack and collapse the other to about cane length, limp and walk slowly. If I start to get the hairy eyeball from TSA I just start talking about the Americans With Disabilities Act and needing it not to fall down and break my arm again (which I did while walking about 10 years ago and have the scar to prove it although I've never had to show it yet) - Zoom, right on through. Helps to get early boarding too. Of course being 72 helps but hey, age has to have at least some privileges, no?

MIKE....
Remember that your poles pull apart and then are quite a bit shorter. I often do this to fit in a loaded pack.
Easy to do and easy to refit when you get there.
Looks like trouble when you first pull apart but is really very simple

Good point, I will try it. I am using PacerPoles though and I don't think they break down as short as some of the others. I'm also using a small size Osprey Talon 22 which isn't very tall.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My wife has carbon Pacer Poles. The do pull apart easily and go back just as easy.
The handle does make them longer than others...but shorter than when not pulled apart. Give it a try.
She takes them through TSA with no problem...including transfers in Frankfurt or Madrid.
Like Laurie says...we have been both been waiting for the first person to tell us that they were personally denied.
It probably has happened at some time but is so rare that no one is coming forward.
However...the myth that You cannot carry poles on board continues. Bummer!

It really is a disservice to others..

Cheers,
Judd
We're thinking of leaving ours at home and hoping that we can buy something in SJPdP - does anyone know if that's an option? I've heard there is a really good outfitting store there.
Thanks, Allan

We're thinking of leaving ours at home and hoping that we can buy something in SJPdP - does anyone know if that's an option? I've heard there is a really good outfitting store there.
Thanks, Allan
Because British Airways seems adamant about 'no poles' on board, (I fly from Vancouver, Canada to Madrid) I am purchasing my poles in St. Jean. I am told they are approx 15 euros for a pair. If you are starting from St. Jean, the shop is Boutique du Pelerin, 32 rue de la citadel Tel: 05 59 37 98 52.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maggie...
I wonder how the airline (British) would know what is in your pack? Most airports around the world have a government agency that screens luggage and passengers before boarding. Airlines would normally have no part in checking the contents of packs....at least that is my experience.

Maggie...
I wonder how the airline (British) would know what is in your pack? Most airports around the world have a government agency that screens luggage and passengers before boarding. Airlines would normally have no part in checking the contents of packs....at least that is my experience.
Hi grayland, the poles I'm using for training are not the the collapsible type. They do shorten, but not enough to go into my 36L pack. Even if they did, I just don't want to chance it. I'm quite happy to purchase poles in St. Jean. Then when I return to Canada, if and when I'm asked to check them, it won't matter near as much to me.

Good decision, Maggie. I just wanted to point out that the airline probably would not decide whether you carried the poles on board.

There are actually two good Pilgrim shops in SJPdP. I am familiar with the one by the bridge on the main highway/ street in town. Good people and most things you are looking for including poles.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Good decision, Maggie. I just wanted to point out that the airline probably would not decide whether you carried the poles on board.

There are actually two good Pilgrim shops in SJPdP. I am familiar with the one by the bridge on the main highway/ street in town. Good people and most things you are looking for including poles.
Yes, I have been in email contact with the shop La Boutique du Pelerin; nice folks.

Thanks all for the info. We're flying from Seattle to Atlanta then Madrid. We decided to just check them since we are staying after a few days with friends and wanted non-hiking clothes with us at the end. We're lucky that we can just give our friends the bag at the start.

Thanks all for the info. We're flying from Seattle to Atlanta then Madrid. We decided to just check them since we are staying after a few days with friends and wanted non-hiking clothes with us at the end. We're lucky that we can just give our friends the bag at the start.
As a former Seattleite (West Seattle), I wish you a Buen Camino Judd. I'm sure the poles will find you just fine. I moved back to my homeland 12 years ago to Victoria. I too will fly to Madrid on the 21st from Vancouver.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Because British Airways seems adamant about 'no poles' on board, (I fly from Vancouver, Canada to Madrid) I am purchasing my poles in St. Jean. I am told they are approx 15 euros for a pair. If you are starting from St. Jean, the shop is Boutique du Pelerin, 32 rue de la citadel Tel: 05 59 37 98 52.
Thanks!
Would anyone know if you can buy permethrin in St Jean?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back