• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Halfway SJPDP & Roncesvalles

Ellen St John

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2015
I am leaving SJPDP for my first Camino on Sept 12,2015. I am coming from the states and think I will be too tired to make it to Roncesvalles the first day. I'm having anxiety because Refuge Orisson is full. Does anyone know where else I can stop. I want to hike the mountain route.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Ellen,

I'm having that same anxiety. I'm traveling from Canada and planning to spend a couple of nights in St Jean before starting out. I tried to book a place in Orrison but it was full as well. I think you have to listen to your body and only leave St Jean when you feel rested. If it means an extra day I think you will be thankful you didn't push it for your first day. It's all about enjoying yourself.

Buen Camino
Melissa

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is an albergue at Hunto, about 5.6km from SJPdP.

The best thing for jet lag is to walk 27 km ... then you will be very tired when you want to be awake ... a surreal experience.

Some folk walk as far as they want then call a taxi to take them back to St Jean. They then taxi back up the next morning to where they finished and recommence walking.
If you aren't taking a phone it may be possible to phone from Orisson for a taxi. Could someone pse advise as to the availability of a public phone at Orisson. I can't remember.
Buen Camino
Gerard

Its possible to get picked up at the virgin or the cross by taxi as well .. Check out the jacotrans site ...they pick up and drop off .... You can also walk to Orrison and taxi back to town for the night. I walked to Orrison and stayed the night there this spring but due to illness had checked out the jacotrans option and took advantage of it as well on my second day to roncesvalles ... Better to take it easy by cab specially when we were not well that day :(

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Some folk walk as far as they want then call a taxi to take them back to St Jean. They then taxi back up the next morning to where they finished and recommence walking.
If you aren't taking a phone it may be possible to phone from Orisson for a taxi. Could someone pse advise as to the availability of a public phone at Orisson. I can't remember.
Buen Camino
Gerard

Based on virtual walk using google earth, there are no overhead wires at Orrison ... so no public phone.

I am leaving SJPDP for my first Camino on Sept 12,2015. I am coming from the states and think I will be too tired to make it to Roncesvalles the first day. I'm having anxiety because Refuge Orisson is full. Does anyone know where else I can stop. I want to hike the mountain route.

I spent a full extra day at SJPdP ... I was jet lagged and ended up dozing on a park bench up at the citadel ... SJPdP was a good place to get caught up on sleep and stress from traveling. There are shops to aid in getting ready for the camino. Its a historic town and is well geared for tourists as well as pilgrims.

Si yo fuera tu ... spend a day there then go for a full day to Roncesvalles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi
Yes there is a place to stay around 5 km after SJPP and 2:4 kms before Orisson.at Hunto, " Ferme ithuburia" +33 0559-371-117 I stayed there in the winter this year. also does food. there is accommodation at the rear of her home and across the road there a building with rooms...I decided to stay to recover from too much wine the night before, also had dinner with the owner(lovely lady)and some non walking guests in the main house....
This way your fresh next morning after breakfast and ready to launch up the hill stopping at Orisson for a morning cuppa.
hope this helps

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thank you for your replies. I think I will walk then as far as I can the first day and taxi back to SJPDP. I will have a cell phone. Do you think I can get a taxi only in Orrison or are there places if I hike further that I can get a taxi or will I be in the middle of no where? I guess they can help me in the Pilgrim office when I get there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Ellen,

I'm having that same anxiety. I'm traveling from Canada and planning to spend a couple of nights in St Jean before starting out. I tried to book a place in Orrison but it was full as well. I think you have to listen to your body and only leave St Jean when you feel rested. If it means an extra day I think you will be thankful you didn't push it for your first day. It's all about enjoying yourself.

Buen Camino
Melissa

What day are you going? I just want to split up the day over the mountains even if I feel rested . I don't think my body will hold up to do 9 hours up and down. Don't want to risk pushing my body the first day. Think I'll taxi back and try to do 4 to 5 hours a day for two days to Roncesvalles.

Hey Ellen,

I'm leaving Vancouver on Aug 30th and arriving in SJPDP on Aug 31st. Planning to start walking Sept 2nd. I think I am going to attempt to make it all the way to Roncesvalles on that day. Hopefully I will be rested enough. If not, I will chill out an extra day and enjoy SJPDP.

I will let you know how it goes.

Buen Camino

Hi, you can walk the mountain route in two days by using Express Bourricot’s “Persons Transports” services. Check out their “Morning Shuttle”, which leaves at 8.30am outside the Tourist Office in St Jean: http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/persons-transport/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will have a cell phone.
Will it work? There are some areas without cell coverage. If you have a France SIM, you may be out of range by Orisson. If you have a Spain SIM, you may not be in its coverage area. If you have some other cell provider, it will be roaming, and it will depend on the signal of the cooperating carrier.

A taxi will come from SJPdP or Roncesvalles; there will not be any hanging around looking for a fare! When you reach Orisson, they can help get a taxi. Good luck. :)

I would say, just go to bed early, have a good night sleep and walk to Roncesvalles the next day.
This is what 95% of all pilgrims do and they are of all ages and all fitness levels and come flying in from all corners of the world.
The first day really isn't as gruesome as some threads here make it out to be. Just take your time. Take plenty of breaks and in the end you too will get there.

I think it's just a mindset, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it in one go, than don't. Nothing worse than starting out your first day with a bad feeling.

I'm totally with Dutch. If one isn't infirm or massively obese it is just a walk. Sure, rest a day not to be jet lagged but then go. Also, don't get drunk the night before! Carry water and some bread and cheese and start at dawn. It isn't this terrible awful thing you know. St Jean is already a couple of hundred metres up, over half of it is on surfaced road. This is the frontal chattering mind filling you with fear to turn you into a coward. Halfway refuges, taxis, luggage carrying - crikey next thing will be a troll service to carry the pilgrim.

Look, don't be afraid, just follow the millions of previous pilgrims and walk to Roncesvalles. If you do find it hard, well, this is good! It is a pilgrimage, it is supposed to be hard.

Burn Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you for your replies. I think I will walk then as far as I can the first day and taxi back to SJPDP. I will have a cell phone. Do you think I can get a taxi only in Orrison or are there places if I hike further that I can get a taxi or will I be in the middle of no where? I guess they can help me in the Pilgrim office when I get there.
I read somewhere that Express Bourricot will pick you up from Orisson and drive you back to Sjpp for the night then back up to Orisson the next morning. Check them out maybe.

Just a note. I was in St Jean yesterday and saw three pilgrims, two men and a woman, all of whom had big and full and spanking new packs. I watched the woman lift hers - so full it looked like it had been over-inflated! - she staggered sideways as she put it on her back. Crikey, I wondered what on earth she had in there. I think all three will have problems, carrying so much weight.
Just a thought

Buen Camino - and don't be afraid, all will be well.

Thank you for your help! I ended up getting a bed in Orrison. I'm in good shape but have been doing all of my walking in Florida....very flat! Guess I'll get to Orrison and see how I feel and maybe just keep going!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fr Forida? Mountainous is the negative but on the plus side, no alligators!
Glad you have been helped to what you were looking for and I hope that you have a wonderful Camino!

Guess I'll get to Orrison and see how I feel and maybe just keep going!

Hi Ellen, have you paid for your bed at Orisson? If not, you don’t have a secure reservation yet. It’s 36 euros via PayPal. Having paid that amount of money (the most expensive for some people on the whole route), it will not be easy to just walk on by. I know I couldn’t!

For day 1 if you want to walk to Orission you can arrange transport back to SJPDP through expressbourricot.com. They have many options - speak English & are extremely helpful. The next day they will transport you back up to Orission & you can start your walk from there the next day. The wind was very strong on the mountain. Many of us got blown about and had to really fight to maintain our balance. I was thankful to have split the SJPDP to Roncesvalles into 2 days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am very grateful for this thread, as this part of the trip is quite daunting for me. It's a shame that Orission is not futher along the trail, it seems like you must just get started then are stopping for the day.

Does anyone know how far in advance you need to book at Orission? My rough dates for next year are to leave in early May, but since I am not sure yet if I am walking alone, I haven't made exact plans.

Make sure to practice with your loaded pack for 12 miles and you will be fine. If you can find a hill in Florida (hill repeats with a pack would be great training - I found the last two miles down to be the most difficult). As Dutch said, be sure to bring water and food. Also, band-aids, comfortable shoes, and walking poles. I, too, debated between Orisson and Roncesvalles for several weeks before our walk. We ended up walking the entire way because we arrived in Orisson by noon and there is nothing to do there for the rest of the day. We ate lunch there, and then continued the very difficult walk over the mountain (in fog and snow), but it was awesome!!!! (I am an overweight 55 year old) We didn't get into Roncesvalles until 8:30 p.m. Our phone battery died midway, so if you are going to be calling a taxi, make sure you keep your phone off until needed. The first day of the walk was definitely the most challenging, but it was also the most life changing. It set the stage for the rest of the way - learning what one is capable of, realizing that no matter how much one plans, one can't be prepared for everything (snow!) and more importantly, it's all going to be okay.

I would say, just go to bed early, have a good night sleep and walk to Roncesvalles the next day.
This is what 95% of all pilgrims do and they are of all ages and all fitness levels and come flying in from all corners of the world.
The first day really isn't as gruesome as some threads here make it out to be. Just take your time. Take plenty of breaks and in the end you too will get there.

I think it's just a mindset, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it in one go, than don't. Nothing worse than starting out your first day with a bad feeling.

Great advise Dutch. I too was unsure as what to do after 3 days travel to get to SJPDP. Be there next week, now knowing what I want to do. Thx

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am confused. Is this basic Camino info not available,in guide books or are pople jist not silling to buy the. And hope for free info? It's an honnest question?

Hi Ellen, have you paid for your bed at Orisson? If not, you don’t have a secure reservation yet. It’s 36 euros via PayPal. Having paid that amount of money (the most expensive for some people on the whole route), it will not be easy to just walk on by. I know I couldn’t!

I actually paid for the bed through PayPal but then I have not heard from Orrison. I emailed them & asked for a conformation but they are very slow to respond. I will email them again and make sure they got the payment. Hopefully it all went through !

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Make sure to practice with your loaded pack for 12 miles and you will be fine. If you can find a hill in Florida (hill repeats with a pack would be great training - I found the last two miles down to be the most difficult). As Dutch said, be sure to bring water and food. Also, band-aids, comfortable shoes, and walking poles. I, too, debated between Orisson and Roncesvalles for several weeks before our walk. We ended up walking the entire way because we arrived in Orisson by noon and there is nothing to do there for the rest of the day. We ate lunch there, and then continued the very difficult walk over the mountain (in fog and snow), but it was awesome!!!! (I am an overweight 55 year old) We didn't get into Roncesvalles until 8:30 p.m. Our phone battery died midway, so if you are going to be calling a taxi, make sure you keep your phone off until needed. The first day of the walk was definitely the most challenging, but it was also the most life changing. It set the stage for the rest of the way - learning what one is capable of, realizing that no matter how much one plans, one can't be prepared for everything (snow!) and more importantly, it's all going to be okay.

Thanks for the advice. I have been walking with loaded pack but usually only 8 miles because it is so time consuming. I'm going to push it up to 10-12 miles this week. No hills here. Going to start doing the stairs this week. That should get my legs strong ! I have the poles but I haven't even tried them yet. That's on my list too. I honestly wouldn't mind just relaxing in Orisson for the afternoon/ evening. Think by the time I get everything organized with my kids here I'd like to have nothing to do for an afternoon !

I actually paid for the bed through PayPal but then I have not heard from Orrison. I emailed them & asked for a conformation but they are very slow to respond. I will email them again and make sure they got the payment. Hopefully it all went through !

Hi Ellen, that’s great news that you have got a reservation at Orisson after all. I was a bit confused because the whole thread has been about where you should stop, Orisson being already full for the date you wanted. Have a wonderful camino! Jill

I read somewhere that Express Bourricot will pick you up from Orisson and drive you back to Sjpp for the night then back up to Orisson the next morning. Check them out maybe.

Yes, and this is an excellent option.
I've seen many many pilgrims ruin themselves on that first day from SJPP to Roncesvalles.
It can be grueling if a person is not in shape.

With my groups, we walk to Orisson the first day from SJPP.
Express Bourricot picks us up around 2 pm and delivers us back to SJPP where we spend our 2nd night.
Next morning, EB picks us up and delivers us back up at Orisson, where we have breakfast, then continue on to Roncesvalles.

It makes both stages easier and saves injuries.

Just to be clear, the first section up to Orisson is only 8-9 kilometers, but they are VERY STEEP for most people and it can take 2-4 hours to walk it.
The next day, it's not so much the climb that is dangerous, but the steep descent down into Roncesvalles when you are exhausted.
If it is raining, it is as slippery as snot and scary.
You definitely need walking sticks.

And then, the next day, the descent into Zubiri is also steep and slipper if it's raining.
If you've done the first stage in one day, your legs will be like rubber.

So, if you are in excellent shape, do it in one day.

However, if you have doubts, break it up into two days and don't break yourself.
There's no shame in being smart.

If you DO decide to do it in one day, this is my advice:
Start early
Walk slow - pace yourself
Take a break every hour or two where you stop, take off your shoes, rub your feet, and hydrate
Take food/snacks and eat every couple of hours
Don't be in a hurry - there are plenty of beds in Roncesvalles and I have never heard of any pilgrim being turned away there

My own experience on my very first Camino was that I made reservations at Orisson.
Then the hospitalero at SJPP told me, "Oh, don't stop at Orisson - just walk it all the way through!"
So I cancelled my reservation at Orisson.

I cried (literally) every step down that freaking hill into Roncesvalles and I said very bad things about that hospitalero for days.
That night, when I had to put my feet on the hard, round ladder step to get down from my bunk to use the toilet, I cried again, as my feet were so painful.
Those were the worst two days of my Camino and it took about a week to recover completely.
I never have done that again.
I always break it up into two days.
If you can't get a reservation at Orisson, it's easy to get a 2nd night in SJPP and use the taxi service.
That's my advice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ellen, I'm starting from SJPdP on Sept 14. Perhaps I'll run into you! Tali

For day 1 if you want to walk to Orission you can arrange transport back to SJPDP through expressbourricot.com. They have many options - speak English & are extremely helpful. The next day they will transport you back up to Orission & you can start your walk from there the next day. The wind was very strong on the mountain. Many of us got blown about and had to really fight to maintain our balance. I was thankful to have split the SJPDP to Roncesvalles into 2 days.
I've just returned from the Camino, my 2nd. While I was sitting in Roncesvalles I became aware that as early as about 3 pm pilgrims were having to walk on. There was no accomodation anywhere!! Many were already struggling so it might be worthwhile booking La Posada for the night if you have any concerns about your fitness or arrival time. They are much dearer too, but nowhere as expensive as the new Hotel, which was also full because groups book into there through travel companies from their home countries months earlier, as part of the overall package. But the Alburgue was full.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back