• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long........

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You definitely will not be the only one nor the slowest. Many people have no set schedule and are actually able to walk short distances each day without guilt. Even when I try to go slowly I seem to push myself. Personally I am just turning 59 and have 40 days on the trail. Somehow I think my body will not allow such a pace as I am a fast walker. Five more days until I hit the trail.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many of us will never see the majority of the 70's again. (Age not decade )
We do the Camino every year ...usually at the same pace as the guides suggest or faster.
I don't think your age is the factor...your level of fitness will be the decider.
If you are willing to dedicate the time to get fit before you go you will find yourself the match of the adventure.
Go for it.

I am past the magic 65 and walk slowly anyway, do give yourself a few extra days for intial jet lag, later on the Camino for rest, for sightseeing, for suprise side trips, and getting back to your return flight home. Santiago has a lovely airport, small user friendly and a good travel agent can often swing a deal cutting expenses back to Madrid etc, Madrid and not Paris-from Santiago Paris means crossing half of Europe just to get back home!. The train works too but don't be tempted by a bus.

Be sure to check out this earlier Forum thread with advice and tips especially for those of us 60 years old and more. Once walking do go slowly; ease into the effort. Remember the fable of the tortoise and the hare.

What matters most at any age is to continue to move!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi roblsh,
I planned my Camino also in april-may 2016 (63 years young). Now, i've already start my preparation to meet this objective.
And like Margreth says; "Remember the fable of the tortoise and the hare."
I wish you much succes in your preparation.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi there,
My daughter (24) and I (61) will be starting our camino on september 24th. We took the Bierley and one other book can't remember author name and i put recommendations for stages onto an excel spreadsheet and then made adjustments taking it slower in the beginning and where they said the terrain was more difficult to get a BASIC plan to come up with how many days we think we'd like to plan. Main reason we did that was we needed to make our flight arrangements to come home. The 'magic' number for us is 42 days. We have reservations in SJPP the first night and in Orisson the second night then from there we're just going to play it by ear keeping an eye on where we are in relations to our flight out...eg if we are falling to far behind our plan we might want to speed it up, conversely if we are feeling good and making good time we might want to take a rest day. Anyway we hope the Camino will set our pace.

once we start i'll be blogging our path, time, etc for the folks back home so you can check it out at some point. Keep in mind neither my daughter nor I are athletic and up to this point never walked with a backpack or hiked over a mile (if that) and we didn't get our 'call to walk the camino' until this past month so we didn't have a whole lot of time to prepare but it was a now or never kind of feeling so we signed on.

Fear is bubbling up and fighting with the excitement recently...reading the forum helps a lot with that as I know we aren't the worst prepared for the journey.

You came to a good place to get the info...buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My amigas walked the Camino Frances this spring 2015. I was the youngest at 68. One was 72 and the other 74. We walked 40 days from St. Jean to Santiago with 1.5 days in Burgos, 1 in Logrono, 1.5 in Leon. We did, for various reasons, take a taxi from Mansilla de las Mulas to Leon and from Triacastela to Samos as well as the bus from Leon to La Virgen del Camino. Many pilgrims, post camino, say they wish they had walked slower in order to savor the journey. Give yourself time to, as Joyce Rupp wrote, "Walk in a Relaxed Manner."

I did my first Camino at 67. It took 5 weeks, but I allowed myself 8 weeks. Fortunately, I sustained no injuries, but be sure to allow yourself enough time to enjoy your Camino. Don't push yourself, and take time to smell the roses. You won't regret it !

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings From Canada - My plan is to walk the Camino Frances (St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago) April/May 2016. I've read it should take me approximately 35 days - so with my being 65 years young, i was wondering what the longest it's ever taken anyone to complete it. Cheers!
Looking at it another way roblsch no matter what your age your camino is never completed the Way is a lifetime's walk:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings From Canada - My plan is to walk the Camino Frances (St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago) April/May 2016. I've read it should take me approximately 35 days - so with my being 65 years young, i was wondering what the longest it's ever taken anyone to complete it. Cheers!
Hi Roblsch, it takes as long as it takes.
It is your decision how long you will / can
walk. I walked this last April / May and I walked for 37 day's , at that time I was
61 years old. During my journey I met a pelgrim of 76. And when I saw him in SdC he walked the Camino Frances in
42 day's. And he was feeling great he said. Don't worry you will do fine.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

That's when i'm planning on walking! when do you intend to start?

My wife and I are the same age as you and we may be walking the same time as you When we were 60 we did it in 32 days with no real problem and last year we took 40days and 40nights and really enjoyed it. I believe that the longer you take the more you get out of it, it seems that it soaks in to you . Just give yourself time and enjoy it it is not a race it is and experience. By the way on our first camino an eighty year old man doing the walk for the 19th time. do not fear you will not be on your own unless you want to be.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you're fixed to a specific return date and you find yourself running behind schedule, you can always take the bus and skip a couple of stages as required to get back on schedule. Just be sure to do your make-up rides before the last 100 km, which you have to walk to get your Compostela.

I plan to go to Spain for 10 weeks, and will go from Pamplona to Santiago to Finisterre as slowly as feels right. If I finish early, I'm going to the beach. I have time at this point of my life, not going to rush, not going to keep up with anyone else, going to enjoy the experience. Celebrating 70 years old!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Camino Frances the first time when I was 70...easy 34 days..my wife (who says she is much younger) was with me all the way. The next year we did it again in about the same time. Not rushing anything..that is just how long it took.
We have walked the VdlP, Norte, LePuy route, Primitivo, Sanabres and the Portuguese, all in about the guide book suggested time, but not necessarily on the same stage points.
We always allow much more time than needed so we can stop when we want.
Allow yourself plenty of time and then just see how it works out. If you get to Santiago early there is always things to do or places to go to use up extra time.

Thanks for the welcome Mike! I'm reasonably confident that i can do this but was just curious to know if i'm still on the trail after day 40+ that i won't be the only one.
You will not be the only one, and not because of your age. Best lesson I learned on my 1st Camino (following the etaps in a Spanish guidebook) was from an early 20s Estonian with long legd: if she liked a village she was walking by, be it after 5 km only, she would stay there. Id she felt like walking she could do 30km. It had never occured to me

Not trying be funny but its taken some people years to walk it. They can only get off for a few days or a week or money is a issue so they do it a little each year. Friend Craig and I are allowing ourselves 45 days door step to door step. This will be our third Camino and our first French Camino. Based on what I have seen on this forum, 30 days appears to be the norm.
We will be on the shady side of 66 when we start our Camino. Our plan is to walk 5 to 6 days a week with 1 or 2 off depending on how we feel. 15 kilometers or less the first week or so then increasing our distance as we walk into our Camino. After all is a pilgrimage not a race. Our start date is April 14th or 15th from SJPD . Our goal to to walk to Santiago then walk to Fisterra an Muxai. Company is always welcome on the way. Bien Camino

Happy Trails

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I plan to go to Spain for 10 weeks, and will go from Pamplona to Santiago to Finisterre as slowly as feels right. If I finish early, I'm going to the beach. I have time at this point of my life, not going to rush, not going to keep up with anyone else, going to enjoy the experience. Celebrating 70 years old!
Cheers, Imsundaze! Walking slow ... is walking fast. Enjoy it!
Enjoy life,
Enjoy each other.

It's all about fitness providing you are a healthy individual 63 myself and a fellow I was with 74 from SJPDP to Santiago he did in 26 days I did in 27. Stop thinking how old you are and star moving :) like I said as long as you health is good and don't worry about what other people did either take as long as you want who cares? No one

Buen Camino
Zzotte

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't know what the longest is, but a fellow member of my church community, and also a senior, took two months to do it several years ago. I have also given myself two months, but with the thought that that should be lots of time to face the challenges of the walk and I shall be free to follow my further inspirations if I arrive in Santiago before my two months are up. I may want to see more of Spain or continue the pilgrimage theme by going to Finisterre and/or Muxia, or possibly go on a post-camino retreat. The cheapest airfare from Calgary to Spain (Madrid) was found by booking a return flight back in February. My current challenge is facing the fact that the Canadian dollar has been significantly devalued since then and I must pay living expenses for any extra time in Spain if I finish my camino early. You must decide how much time (and money) you can afford, being away long enough to finish your camino at your own pace. I think that I made the best decision for me, but time will tell. I leave September 28 and return November 30.

You definitely will not be the only one nor the slowest. Many people have no set schedule and are actually able to walk short distances each day without guilt. Even when I try to go slowly I seem to push myself. Personally I am just turning 59 and have 40 days on the trail. Somehow I think my body will not allow such a pace as I am a fast walker. Five more days until I hit the trail.
It is so exciting to hear from someone about to set out. I set out in 9/24.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi. I am 70 and plan to do the same at the same time. I have also allowed 35 days and from my research I am confident this is achievable even with 2 or 3 rest days.

To answer your question regarding the longest it has taken someone to walk the Camino, the most I have heard from someone starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port was four months. The pilgrim was a women who was 90 years old. She had plenty of time so she made the most of it. Good for her! While you may not have that kind of time to savor every nuance of the Journey as she did, I am sure your 35 days will provide more than enough time to drink in the beauty and spirit of the Camino. Enjoy your journey!

Greetings back at cha neighbor.
I am Suzette from Utah in the USA and I am also doing my 1st pilgrimage this April/May. I am 50 years young and I hope to see you on the path. You will do just fine. I suggest training prior to your Camino commencement; walking with your backpack on for at least 10 miles/day. Get good hiking boots that are one size to big so as to have plenty of room for the toesies. I hike and walk a lot but will still be training myself.

Ciao for now.

It takes as long as it takes and it isn't a race.

In 2002 I met a Dutch lady of 73 and it took her two months to get to SdC - mind you she started walking in Amsterdam ;o) Oh, and she also walk back again!

On my first day of the Camino Francis, toiling up the hill towards Orisson, I passed a pilgrim who was just starting out from a private pension. He was a similar age to me, but looked in a pretty poor state of fitness. I thought to myself that he would never make it. He arrived in Santiago a day after me, 32 days later!

Good luck for your Camino, roblsch, and don't fret too much about the speed you are walking.

I believe that the longer you take the more you get out of it, it seems that it soaks in to you .

Have a wonderful time Roblsch! Our return plane ticket from Nova Scotia allowed us (then ages 60 & 59) two months in Europe. We had taken a few days in the beginning to adjust from jet lag before beginning the walk from SJPP to Santiago. Although we would have bussed if we'd had to, happily we were able to walk all the Way, in our case taking 45 days (no dead-stop rest days, but a few very short ones that served the same purpose)

We had expected to have extra time for a couple of weeks at a beach in Portugal in the absence of injury on the Camino. In the end, when we arrived in Santiago we could not imagine saying a hasty good-bye to our Camino family. The beach in Portugal lost all its appeal. Our arrival group was extremely fortunate to be able to find a cheap, lovely short-notice apartment rental for a week in Santiago. We treasured a gentle transition to 're-entry', supported by these other 'recovering pilgrims' as we gradually dispersed across the globe.

Retirement is great! My husband and I may be back on the Camino next spring. We'll certainly allow at least two months on the plane ticket, maybe more, because Rector is so right with his comment, "I believe that the longer you take the more you get out of it, it seems that it soaks in to you" Enjoy!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi. I am 70 and plan to do the same at the same time. I have also allowed 35 days and from my research I am confident this is achievable even with 2 or 3 rest days.
Hi Richard, I was 61 last April / May when I was on the Camino Frances. Walked for 37 day's, there where some short day's because I wanted to do some side seeing. Enjoyd every day of it.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Three things to remember and on thing to forget
1 preparation
2 preparation
3 preparation
1 forget your age.

Thank you all - Not setting my boots on the path until April 2016 but starting my prep now - part of which is taking in the ever so valuable advice and past experiences from the amazing souls on this forum - getting "antsy" to leave already and i still have 8 months to go!!!
Hi, those 8 months will fly by. T
Three things to remember and on thing to forget
1 preparation
2 preparation
3 preparation
1 forget your age.
Hi, you are so wright. Age is not an issue for lots of pilgrims.
Wish you well, Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Greetings Roblsch...I am fairly new to this site myself and thinking about walking the Frances in April/May of 2016 as well. I am 72, with approx. 1700 miles of the Appalachian Trail under my belt as well as the West Highland Way and the Wicklow Way completed. I will be interested in any responses you may generate. Perhaps we should keep in touch as we plan

Hi Roblsch, I walked the camino last year from StJPdP to Santiago in 30 consecutive days. I was 64 years of age. I met many pilgrims of my own vintage along the way. I prepared well for it in the Wicklow Hills in Ireland, carrying my rucksack weighing around 8/9 kilograms including water. Many of those I met on the camino ,appeared to be finding it tough, but they still arrived in the albergues, one /two hours behind me and some before me. I then met them all in Santiago. So don't be frightened by it, just prepare well in the hills/mountains. Get used to carrying a rucksack up and down hills.
Also make sure you eat lots on the way, a good breakfast (tortlla patata),good lunch and a good dinner(lots of soup). Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back