• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking near Assisi

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
This is not Camino-related - though St Francis is reported to have been to Santiago- but I thought some might be interested. I am leaving home in a week for a 10-day walking tour based near Assisi. I am doing it through a commercial company, with my bag carried, and accommodation booked etc, so quite different from what I have done before. Am looking forward to walking in some of the steps of St Francis. Will keep a blog, but not sure how much wifi/internet I will have, so may end up posting it when I get home again! For anyone interested, you can download a pdf of my route outline from this page.
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Margaret, many thanks for this info. I'm relocating to Umbria when I retire later this year, and I'll definitely be interested in your comments on this touring setup.
Buen Camino italiano!
Suzanne :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Margaret, Good Äşuck for your new Italian journey! Looking foward to following your blog as you follow the way of St Francis. Carpe Diem and, as always, Ultreia, Margaret Meredith
Thanks Margaret. Short and sweet this time- hard to believe I will soon be in a different hemisphere in early springtime! Margaret

Oh Margaret you're in for a real treat ( and well deserved it is to!) it's just lovely countryside! I walked from Assisi to Gubbio in 2008 one word- gorgeous (check out the Wolf of Gubbio story though you probably know it). When you're walking along in the gentle sunshine of an italian Spring perhaps stopping off to imbibe a glass or two of wine and some local delicacies whilst viewing a perfect landscape or sitting in the warmth of a charming piazza watching the world go by….spare a thought for me trudging along Hadrian's Wall in somewhat less salubrious conditions! But I promise I'll raise a glass of ale to you Margaret no matter how sodden me rain gear……. ;) (Jealous moi!)

Last edited:
Oh Margaret you're in for a real treat ( and well deserved it is to!) it's just lovely countryside! I walked from Assisi to Gubbio in 2008
Assisi to Gubbio is part of my route :) I have seen photos of Gubbio and it looks amazing. Will think of you on Hadrian's Wall and hope you are in a weather bubble immune from the rain!
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"A weather bubble" in the Border country! God bless your innocence ……you'd need to light a candle in every church for that - and there are a lot of churches but thank you for your kind thoughts Margaret. I guess you'll be going to Assisi? If you do, and have the time, make your way to St Francis' little mountain hermitage. It's perched high above the ecclesiastical powerhouse below and the two sites present the same contrast as Suso and Yuso on the CF.
Arrivederci:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Fuerte, peregrina! Hadrian's Wall : _/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_ x 7 days
Yes I think the term 'corrugated' is applicable here…..and I think I'll need as much Fuerte as I can get lovingkindness as it's snowing in Once Brewed and Corbridge they say. But you know what I've crossed the flipping Pyrenees in snow and waded waist deep through the stuff in Franconia so what harm? (now that is what my father used to call 'a full belly talking')

Looking forward to you blog/postings (as always), Margaret. Have a great walk! Dolfina

€149,-
You are right, Margaret, about St. Francis going to SdC.
There is a beautiful church dedicate to him right there in the city. Last year they were offering a special certificate to pilgrims who visited the church and had a pilgrim passport.
DSCF7021.JPG
Have a lovely time on your camino!
Stephen.
x

Sounds lovely. Enjoy your walk, Margaret. I have fond memories of Assisi, although it is 40 years ago. I'm guessing it may have changed somewhat.

Have a great Camino Margaret, looking forward to readin your blog. We holidayed in Italy for many years when the kids were young and we love it, our last holiday there was without the kids and was in the mountains in Emilio Romano, great walking country.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was recently wondering what you are up to Margaret! I'll watch your trip with interest. Can you keep an eye open for whether or not you think this could be done easily without the tour group?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Margaret I don't know what you did but I got Mediterranean temperatures in April on Hadrian's Wall! In fact it was so hot I had to carry my boots and walk in my old pair of ecco trainers up and down those crags /\/\/\/\/.\/\ (the small dot on the last but one is me labouring up it) Lovingkindness you were-as ever-on the money ;) not only is it "corrugated" at times I found it b%$x@y corrugated:eek: As I write this at home small and not so small ice pebbles are hailing down at a heck of a rate so I'm grateful for the sunshine and the views it gave.

Last edited:
I was recently wondering what you are up to Margaret! I'll watch your trip with interest. Can you keep an eye open for whether or not you think this could be done easily without the tour group?
I did it 'self-guided', and actually walked on my own each day- with only a day pack. It was early in the season, and I met hardly anyone going my way, though I did meet a few large groups heading towards Assisi. My route was constructed of a few different routes, but there were sections of well blazed route. The terrain is very hilly- most days I had two biggish ascent/descent combos. As a result of that though, there were absolutely magnificent views!
There are guide books to the 'official' St Francis routes, but an experienced French pilgrim using one in Italian said you needed to be very sceptical of the time allowances, which just seemed to be done on a 4km/h basis, whatever the hill climbs were like.

The area was very rural. I was staying in B&Bs and hotels, so am not sure how frequent the cheaper accommodation was. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more.
Margaret

Well, apart from the magic of snow around Assisi the morning I headed off uphill to visit St Francis' hermitage, I had great weather- sunshine all the way- so much so I ran out of water a few times! I have put a collection of photos up on Flickr -Umbria 2015. (The album has a few en route/Rome photos sandwiching the walk proper.) The hills were many and large, and the views were spectacular as a result.
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, Nomad, I just chanced on this entry of yours today when the possibility of another camino dawned faintly and unexpectedly (as it usually does, after seeming impossible). I'll maybe have six weeks before Chrissy or after, and I've been thinking Saint-Gilles Regordane from Le Puy. But - after checking out your photos - maybe Assisi now!

Well done.

Rob

Hi Rob,
The area around Assisi is very beautiful, and I recommend walking in Umbria wholeheartedly! But if you have six weeks you might have to start further north in the more mountainous part of it all- and I am not sure if it might be too snowy up there then. You might want to look back to August of last year and read your compatriot Janet's blog. She has started further north, and gone further south- but of course in mid-summer. If you get a guide book, be wary of the timings. "3 hours" might be more like 4-5 hours in "our" timing, as it seems to base timing on 4km/h, regardless of the up and down nature of the terrain.
As for me and my future plans, I would have to say I quite liked getting my luggage carried this time!!!! So maybe I will take a leisurely sojourn somewhere like the Cotswolds with my luggage meeting me at the end of the day again!!!
Margaret

€83,-
Ah now Margaret surely you're due a return visit to Ireland by now!

Ahhhh no I hadn't- but I see it now. I was on the Via Francigena a major part of the time, but not always- and mostly I was heading away from Rome. I actually met a Frenchman who was walking it in 'reverse', going to Santiago- for his fourth time.... He was going to switch from the Via Francigena onto the Arles route once he got further north.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Margaret-
I am in early stages of planning for a possible walking trip on the Way of St. Francis and/or the Via Francigena for 2016. My husband is interested in using a company that does self-guided trips. On your blog you mention two different companies - did you use both or just one for your pilgrimage? Thanks!

Hi Nancyo,
I booked via World Walks which is a company based in England. But the St Francis Trails tour itself is run by Ecologico Tours, on a self-guided basis. You can actually book directly with them. I was very impressed with the service from both companies.
Petra from Ecologico Tours met with me when I arrived in Assisi, and went through all the trip details, and gave me my maps. My luggage was always transported and waiting for me when I arrived at my next day's destination, and I was confident that if I had a problem, I could ring Petra for assistance.
Margaret

thanks, Margaret, for the info!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.