• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Got My Pack to 22 lbs./10 kilos!

tomnorth

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: September 24 - October 31 (2015)
I've been working hard to get my backpack down to 22 pounds/10 kilos. Right now, my backpack is at a net weight of exactly 22 pounds. This is just under 10% of my body weight. I'm leaving on the Camino Frances from SJPDP on 9/24/15. I'd be interested in feedback on my packing list. Have I missed anything obvious? Do you have something on the list that is completely unnecessary?

I've learned quite a bit by reviewing other lists posted here. I think I'm ready for feedback on my own list. By the way, the Nikon D800 is nonnegotiable for me, as are the medications (I have asthma). I have factored in what I will be wearing in the net weight noted above. The items that will either be worn or carried outside the backpack are listed in italics.

• Bag - compact: 1.5 ounces
  • Bandana: 1 ounce
  • Biking gloves: 2 ounces
  • Camera battery - 1 extra: 3 ounces
  • Carabiners - 3: 3 ounces
  • Charging cables: 1 ounce
  • Cork puller: 2 ounces
  • Ear warmer: 1 ounce
  • First aid kit - includes Compeed: 3 ounces
  • Fleece - zippered: 12 ounces
  • Flip flops - Croc: 12 ounces
  • Gloves: 3 ounces
  • Hiking boots - Keen
  • Hiking pants - convertible, 2 pair tops, 1 of legs: 1 pound, 4 ounces
  • iPhone 6+: 6 ounces
  • Journal: 4 ounces
  • Leatherman - w/scissors: 1 ounce
  • Medications: 9 ounces
  • Memory cards - 1 extra SD and CFC: 1 ounce
  • Microlight: 0.5 ounce
  • Night shorts - 2: 6 ounces
  • Nikon D800 with 35mm lens: 3 pounds, 1 ounce
  • Osprey Stratus 36 backpack: 3 pounds, 3 ounces
  • Pocket knife - 3 inch blade: 2 ounces
  • Power unit with USB port: 4 ounces
  • Rain coat - REI: 1 pound, 1 ounce
  • Rain pants - REI: 13 ounces
  • Safety pins - 0.5 ounce
  • SanDisk Wireless Media Drive: 4 ounces
  • Sewing kit: 1 ounce
  • Sink stopper - universal: 2 ounces
  • Sleeping bag - North Face: 2 pounds, 1 ounce
  • Socks, Smartwool liners - 3: 6 ounces
  • Socks, Smartwook pHd - 3: 8 ounces
  • Sweater - SmartWool: 12 ounces
  • Spork: 0.5 ounce
  • Stuff sacks - 4: 4 ounces
  • Sun screen: 3 ounces
  • Thermal underwear bottoms: 6 ounces
  • Toilet paper: 1 ounce
  • Toiletries: 9 ounces
  • Trekking poles: 14 ounces
  • Ultralight towel: 6 ounces
  • Ultralight wash cloth: 1 ounce
  • Under Armour long t-shirt - 1: 7 ounces
  • Under Armour short t-shirt - 2: 13 ounces
  • Underwear - 3: 10 ounces
  • Water - 1 qt.: 2 pounds
  • Water bottles (collapsible) - 2: 3 ounces
  • Wide-brimmed hat: 6 ounces

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been working hard to get my backpack down to 22 pounds/10 kilos. Right now, my backpack is at a net weight of exactly 22 pounds. This is just under 10% of my body weight. I'm leaving on the Camino Frances from SJPDP on 9/24/15. I'd be interested in feedback on my packing list. Have I missed anything obvious? Do you have something on the list that is completely unnecessary?

I've learned quite a bit by reviewing other lists posted here. I think I'm ready for feedback on my own list. By the way, the Nikon D800 is nonnegotiable for me, as are the medications (I have asthma). I have factored in what I will be wearing in the net weight noted above. The items that will either be worn or carried outside the backpack are listed in italics.

• Hiking boots - Keen
Hi @tomnorth - Your list looks pretty good. Just one thing I noticed - you have on your list a cork puller and a leatherman with scissors and a pocket knife (total weight 5 ounces if 1oz for the Leatherman is really correct - sounds incredibly light, must be a mini). You could find a single tool which weighs the same or less and includes all those attachments (one of the Victorinox models for example). That said, I took their most basic model (without scissors) and really all I used was the knife and (once) the cork puller. You could almost definitely manage without the Leatherman if you have a knife as well.

Buen camino!

Hi @tomnorth - Your list looks pretty good. Just one thing I noticed - you have on your list a cork puller and a leatherman with scissors and a pocket knife (total weight 5 ounces if 1oz for the Leatherman is really correct - sounds incredibly light, must be a mini). You could find a single tool which weighs the same or less and includes all those attachments (one of the Victorinox models for example). That said, I took their most basic model (without scissors) and really all I used was the knife and (once) the cork puller. You could almost definitely manage without the Leatherman if you have a knife as well.

Buen camino!
Thanks for the feedback. I do have one of the mini Leathermans. I find I use the scissors all the time. I'm toying with the idea of leaving the pocket knife behind. I was thinking of using it for cutting cheese, meat, bread, etc. The blade on the Leatherman is pretty short. I'm not a huge fan of the Swiss army knife type tools, so I'd rather not invest in one of those.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Generally the 10% guidance is for bare pack weight, ie with no consumables but including the pack weight, not just the net load. Noting you are carrying a heavy camera and associated bits and pieces, you might find a from the skin out target gives you a better idea of where you can adjust you consumables load in particular and still be light enough not to have too much impact on walking speed.

I would recommend using a FSO target of 20% of your ideal walking weight. Once you have worked out what you bare pack weight is together with your worn clothing and carried equipment, you will then know what residual you have for food, water and other consumables.

Two pairs of gloves? I don't bother with a corkscrew but then I only buy wine by the glass. Otherwise it looks pretty good - rather heavy on the electronics and gadgets but it is a matter of what is important to you.

Two pairs of gloves? I don't bother with a corkscrew but then I only buy wine by the glass. Otherwise it looks pretty good - rather heavy on the electronics and gadgets but it is a matter of what is important to you.
One is a pair of biking gloves (no fingers) to keep from getting blisters from using the trekking poles. The other is a slightly warmer pair for cold weather. It's possible I might leave the warmer pair at home. My hands tend to run warm anyway. Thanks for getting me thinking about this.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Generally the 10% guidance is for bare pack weight, ie with no consumables but including the pack weight, not just the net load. Noting you are carrying a heavy camera and associated bits and pieces, you might find a from the skin out target gives you a better idea of where you can adjust you consumables load in particular and still be light enough not to have too much impact on walking speed.

I would recommend using a FSO target of 20% of your ideal walking weight. Once you have worked out what you bare pack weight is together with your worn clothing and carried equipment, you will then know what residual you have for food, water and other consumables.

Let's see if I have this right, are you saying that the weight of everything I'm wearing and carrying, including consumables, should not exceed 20% of my ideal walking weight? I'm a big guy, so 20% of my ideal walking weight would be 45 pounds. The gross weight of everything I'm wearing or carrying is 28 pounds 8 ounces, which is about 13% of my ideal walking weight. This includes water but no food.

@tomnorth you should not get blisters on your hands from the trekking poles. If you have your hand threaded through the wrist straps correctly you can put downward pressure on the strap, instead of gripping so tightly. You probably know how to hold them but have not thought about releasing your grip and relying more on the straps. If done properly it is possible to let go of the handles almost completely - do it at least one in a while to give your hands a rest. It sometimes needs the straps to be tightened so they sit comfortably. Try it and see. This video does show the correct method of holding but unfortunately the fellow is gripping tightly so not really showing what I'm talking about.

Oh, my gosh I am jealous. I have chosen to leave my D800 home and I miss it already. :(

I do understand now why you are struggling to get the pack down to 10kilos. I will be three weeks ahead of you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Let's see if I haveheiright, are you saying that the weight of everything I'm wearing and carrying, including consumables, should not exceed 20% of my ideal walking weight? I'm a big guy, so 20% of my ideal walking weight would be 45 pounds. The gross weight of everything I'm wearing or carrying is 28 pounds 8 ounces, which is about 13% of my ideal walking weight. This includes water but no food.
@tomnorth, 6ft 7in is indeed pretty tall, and there there are clearly advantages using these formulaic approaches being that tall. I am assuming that your ideal walking weight is your BMI=25 weight, and you are not under tall for your weight. If the latter is the case it is probably appropriate to adjust your target weights accordingly.

Otherwise, if all your weight calculations are correct, then you appear to be well within the FSO20 target even carrying some extra food and water. That doesn't mean you should stop paring off any extras you still have - walking lighter is always better.

Hi, I would change the sweater for a second short-sleeved t-shirt. You have the fleece and rain coat to put on if cold. Jill

@tomnorth you should not get blisters on your hands from the trekking poles. If you have your hand threaded through the wrist straps correctly you can put downward pressure on the strap, instead of gripping so tightly. You probably know how to hold them but have not thought about releasing your grip and relying more on the straps. If done properly it is possible to let go of the handles almost completely - do it at least one in a while to give your hands a rest. It sometimes needs the straps to be tightened so they sit comfortably. Try it and see. This video does show the correct method of holding but unfortunately the fellow is gripping tightly so not really showing what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the video. I do use the straps as shown in the video. Perhaps I do grip too tightly though. I haven't actually gotten blisters from the poles, but I have noticed a hot spot on my right hand. That's what prompted me to try the biking gloves.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@tomnorth, 6ft 7in is indeed pretty tall, and there there are clearly advantages using these formulaic approaches being that tall. I am assuming that your ideal walking weight is your BMI=25 weight, and you are not under tall for your weight. If the latter is the case it is probably appropriate to adjust your target weights accordingly.

Otherwise, if all your weight calculations are correct, then you appear to be well within the FSO20 target even carrying some extra food and water. That doesn't mean you should stop paring off any extras you still have - walking lighter is always better.
I'm not that tall. I'm 6' 2". My ideal weight is based on body fat percentage.

I don't get too concerned about formulas. I take what I need. Normally that comes to about 7 kilos but on the Norte when we had tents and associated gear I carried 12 kilos without any problems, and that is far more than 10% of my body weight.

@tomnorth I think you are doing fine - you have carefully considered what you need. You will find lots of people on the Camino who are not anywhere near as well organised as you. At this stage I'd say - just enjoy!

If you're flying to Spain, you may have a problem with the knife and Leatherman unless you check your backpack. I'd leave them behind and buy something like a Swiss army knife in SJPP or Pamplona.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm flying nonstop into Paris. I plan to check my pack. That is an idea though. I could pick something up along the Way. If I weren't flying nonstop I wouldn't consider checking my bag.

Hi Any spare socks or just what you are wearing?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I would change the sweater for a second short-sleeved t-shirt. You have the fleece and rain coat to put on if cold. Jill
In true Minnesota fashion, I'm really into layers when it comes to keeping warm. My warmest outfit on top will be a long t-shirt, a Smartwool sweater, a fleece and finally the rain jacket. I figure that will keep me warm at freezing temps. That may be overkill, but I'm hesitant to go with less given the time of year. The fleece is not a heavy one.

Tomnorth, where is the kitchen sink? Hahaha 22 lb? God bless you friend better you then me. :) and I'm trying to cut down from 9 lb haha go figure

Buen Camino amigo

Zzotte

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not that tall. I'm 6' 2". My ideal weight is based on body fat percentage.
@tomnorth, I understand that body fat percentage is preferred by body builders and elite sports people who bulk up, but I don't count myself in that class. So I might stick to BMI based measures for the time being.

My challenge is that at a BMI of 25, my body fat percentage would be at an unhealthy and unsustainable 0%. I am not a weightlifter, but I am a large man who works out four times a week, twice with strength training and twice with cardio. BMI doesn't work well for me.

• Items to reconsider:
  • Biking gloves: 2 ounces - unless you are biking
  • Cork puller: 2 ounces - just encourage the local bars by paying a bit more than for supermarket wine, 0r wait to get to the albergue to have a bottle of wine
  • Ear warmer: 1 ounce - not at that time of the year. Gloves if you must, but not ear warmers.
  • Fleece - zippered: 12 ounces - that seems a bit heavy to me
  • Gloves: 3 ounces - why gloves and biking gloves?
  • Journal: 4 ounces - if you wanted to be a purist the Iphone could serve as a journal, but that might be pushing it, and if journaling is important to you, like photography, so be it.
  • Microlight: 0.5 ounce - assuming this is a flashlight, your Iphone will do the job.
  • Pocket knife - 3 inch blade: 2 ounces - what is the difference between the pocketknife and the leatherman? Pickone
  • Socks, Smartwool liners - 3: 6 ounces - I would not taken the liners, the Smartwool PHDs are great on their own.
  • Sweater - SmartWool: 12 ounces - you already have a fleece, don't you? Pick one.
  • Stuff sacks - 4: 4 ounces - this is rather heavy.
  • Ultralight wash cloth: 1 ounce - leave it
  • Water bottles (collapsible) - 2: 3 ounces - just by a bottle of water upon arrival and use that as you refil it. Probably lighter.

€149,-
In true Minnesota fashion, I'm really into layers when it comes to keeping warm. My warmest outfit on top will be a long t-shirt, a Smartwool sweater, a fleece and finally the rain jacket. I figure that will keep me warm at freezing temps. That may be overkill, but I'm hesitant to go with less given the time of year. The fleece is not a heavy one.
What freezing temps? Last year when walking the Norte at the same time you will be walking I was walking in 34 degree heat. Even if it is cooler, it will not be Minnesota winter temps ;0) No Prairie Companion stories in Spain ;0)

Tom, I have looked over your list and really don't see a problem. You may be able to cut a pound but would it really be worth it? It does seem to me that the weight will be quite manageable by you. Do you feel the need or desire to have a lighter pack?

What freezing temps? Last year when walking the Norte at the same time you will be walking I was walking in 34 degree heat. Even if it is cooler, it will not be Minnesota winter temps ;0) No Prairie Companion stories in Spain ;0)
In doing my research I found that the average low temp in late Oct for some of the cities on the Camino Frances is 5C. If it's a rainy day, that could feel plenty cold. I'd rather have enough layers to be able to stay warm on such a morning. By way of comparison, the average low in Minneapolis in late Oct is 0C. I'll admit that I am also reacting to some of the weather in the movie, "The Way," which was filmed during the same time period I will be walking.

• Hiking boots - Keen
Hi.
I have been told by many who have completed the El Camino that you really need a sleeping bag because it is very often cold in these large old buildings.
I know I am packing one!!! Nothing worse than being cold. Also ear plugs and an eye mask are recommended.
Ciao and happy trails to ya.

Suzer

Thanks, I am definitely packing a sleeping bag. I also am bringing ear plugs and an eye mask, if nothing else for the flight over.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi.
I have been told by many who have completed the El Camino that you really need a sleeping bag because it is very often cold in these large old buildings.
I know I am packing one!!! Nothing worse than being cold. Also ear plugs and an eye mask are recommended.
Ciao and happy trails to ya.

Suzer
The sleeping bag is an excellent idea at that time of the year.

Consider replacing the eye mask with a Buff.
Works well. Thinking multi-purpose here guys.
Regds
Gerard

Tom you starting medio Okt 2015?

€149,-
Tom, if you've been comfortable with that weight during your training hikes I wouldn't over think it. However, if you're looking to lighten your load here are my suggestions:

Bag-compact, unless this is for the camera ditch it.
Biking gloves, ditch them.
Extra camera battery, probably don't need this. If you can go a day and a half on a charge, ditch it
Leatherman/knife/cork puller, swap these for a Leatherman CS4.
Carabiners, ditch them, or at most take one. You would likely be better served with a short legenth of 550 paracord.
Crocs, you could go lighter here if you wanted to
iPhone 6+, you already have the Nikon, no need for that. If you're an Apple guy see if you can find a cheap, used iPhone 5 and all your stuff will sync to your 6+. Otherwise, any cheap phone will do.
Night shorts, only need one.
Power unit, do you need this?
Rain pants, I'd ditch them, but that's personal preference.
Sink stopper, for some it's a must have, I didn't take one and never missed it.
Stuff sacks, do you need 4?
SanDisk WMD, do you need this?
Sweater/fleece, pick one or the other and substitute a long sleeve wool T-shirt for the other. For me a fleece over a wool T-shirt was a great combo. If it's really cold put your UA short sleeve shirt on first.
UA long T-shirt, swap this for the Smartwool mentioned above.
Water bottles, just refilled throw a ways. They are lighter and you don't need to clean them. When they get funky get a new one. Plus, you won't worry about using them for wine or olives.

That should save you a couple pounds. If you are dead set on the camera (& its accoutrements) it's going to be tough to get down really light. Personally, I like to use 10% of body weight from the skin out, minus water, as a goal weight.

Yaayyyy!! Excuse the over enthusiasm but proper use of trekking poles is a hobby horse of mine. Correct use of wrist straps on walking poles and a little practice actually propels you up hills. Some of the new poles have straps with cushioned linings to assist this and it does wonders for resting your hands and arms. I was taught by Sherpas in Nepal and it makes an amazing difference (they also taught me how to walk downhill - amazing what you don't know you don't know).

Then again I've had long talks with other experienced trekkers who would never put their hands through the pole straps with stories of having broken a wrist in a fall...

As always, try everything and what works for you is best.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Agreed. I use the straps as shown in the video. I've decided to bag the biking gloves. My hands were getting too sweaty with them on. I will just have to be careful not to grip too tightly.

Great list. But if you want to polish it:
- flip flops in autumn? Do you have 5-finger socks or maybe take something warmer, that you can use to walk in the cities / around villages in the evenings;
- journal when you have smartphone?
- pocket knife + cork puller + leatherman. If you can get a knife with cork puller would be perfect. Yes, there's lots of nice wine in supermarkets, just look for no label bottles with just a small address strip, those are big brand leftovers sold locally (and soooo cheap, can't believe), also lots of local speciality sheep cheese, smoked sausages, oranges - knife comes handy. Sunday mornings the bars are closed, you need your own breakfast;
- power unit. Could find an electric outlet everywhere, even in bars they no simply allowed to charge things but on occasion unpluged their own computer to make space;
- sink stopper. Or just throw your clothes you will wash in the sink, they block the water;
- wash cloth: you have bandanna. Make things multitask. Actually bandanna, wide brimmed hat, ear warmer all more or less do the same. Look into buffs, they have summer versions and fleece. That doubles as scarf too;
- biking glows. Hold the walking poles really lightly. I would have broken my long Camino nails if I grabed them tight. The warm glows might be necessary, especially on rainy days when it feels much colder.

Don't see sunglasses on the list. In autumn the sun is lower and shines in the eyes more. Sleeping bag, its october, nights may be really cold. Piece of paracord or just any rope will be handy - your own washing line, for repairs, extra belt, shoe lace, etc, etc.

Then again I've had long talks with other experienced trekkers who would never put their hands through the pole straps with stories of having broken a wrist in a fall...

I slipped and fell on some rocks once, and at the same time my pole got trapped between other rocks. Had a seriously sore wrist for a couple of days. So now I never have the straps round my wrists over tricky terrain.

€149,-
I slipped and fell on some rocks once, and at the same time my pole got trapped between other rocks. Had a seriously sore wrist for a couple of days. So now I never have the straps round my wrists over tricky terrain.
I am glad to see a personal anecdote, rather than the plethora of hearsay one normally gets on this topic. My question is, what possible damage did using the poles prevent, a question that is, of course, impossible to answer with any certainty. And if you were in similar circumstances again, would you have been able to prevent that without using the straps properly?

The few times I have personally bmet people who have been in similar circumstances to this, the answer is invariably that the poles saved them from potentially far more severe injuries, and they wouldn't have been able to do that without using the straps properly.

Last edited:
I am glad to see a personal anecdote, rather than the plethora of hearsay one normally gets on this topic. My question is, what possible damage did using the poles prevent, a question that is, of course, impossible to answer with any certainty. And if you were in similar circumstances again, would you have been able to prevent that without using the straps properly?

The few times I have personally bmet people who have been in similar circumstances to this, the answer is invariably that the poles saved them from potentially far more severe injuries, and they wouldn't have been able to do that without using the straps properly.

Hi dougfitz. You have a very valid point: how can we ever know whether poles - and the correct use of straps - are good or bad in certain or all situations. We can only ever recount personal experience.

I have used my trekking poles - the same Leki ones with straps correctly positioned - for 15 years now in all my training and long self supported walks in Australia and around the world. They have saved me from falls in all sorts of terrain and weather conditions. More importantly, they have aided my dodgy knee and acted as support crutches for injuries. I have flicked away snakes and spiders and cobwebs, tested the depth of mud, snow and water, temporarily replaced a broken tent pole, retrieved out of reach lost items, dragged myself back up a cliff using them as a hook on trees and bushes, used them as ski poles on the scree downhill of mountains, splinted another walkers injured leg, held together a broken pack, dried wet boots on them, fought off an aggressive dog and also some suspect humans.

I have also tripped myself up when they got stuck in between rocks, got firmly stuck in the famed south coast Tasmanian mud and bruised my wrists in a couple of sudden falls.

On balance, they are the swiss army knife of my walking gear and, correctly used, have been of more benefit than harm to me. However wonderful that is, they may still not be suited to everyone. So, as always, it's a try and see if this bit of gear suits your situation recommendation.

I never hike without trekking poles and would never suggest anyone hiking without them, but once in Hawaii I set my pole, slipped on some wet mud, and broke my arm. Just be aware. The pole won't break; you will.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

• Hiking boots - Keen

And how did all this work out for you? anything you missed/anything you never used? SY

And how did all this work out for you? anything you missed/anything you never used? SY
Good questions. I did drop the Smartwool sweater off the list. For the most part, I didn't miss it, but there were a few days where I wished I had it. I could have left the compass home. All in all, I was happy with what I packed.

Back