• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are Internet cafes obsolete?

Davis Baltz

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
How available are so-called Internet cafes where one can rent a computer by the hour and log onto the web to check email, etc.? With the advent of smart phones, are Internet cafes a thing of the past?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They are not a thing of the past, but they are dwindling rapidly. I succumbed to the iphone forces and have carried one for the last two caminos, so I now don't need to go looking for an internet cafe. Wifi is everywhere, virtually. I can't believe the tiny unpopulated little places where the bar offers wifi.

There are still a number of "locutorios", which provide phone services mainly to immigrants who want to call their distant homes. These places will also likely have computers that you can use for a couple of euros an hour. But they are decreasing -- I just learned that my favorite little place in old Santiago on the Rua Nova has closed. It had great sentimental value to me because it was there I learned my daughter was pregnant, and also where I got the news of my son's engagement. No stopping the change, I guess.

The other place you may still find computers for public use are in a "casa cultural" or a "hogar del jubilado" or some other government-run place in a small town. It's these small towns with high percentages of elderly, frequently unconnected people, and the government makes an effort to provide them instruction and opportunities for getting online and on email, etc. etc. Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you peregrina2000...
Another communication questions: I plan to buy a Spanish SIM card after arrival and install in my unlocked phone. If I then buy a plan that is talk and text only (no data), is it possible for me to connect to the internet where there is free wi-fi?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How available are so-called Internet cafes where one can rent a computer by the hour and log onto the web to check email, etc.? With the advent of smart phones, are Internet cafes a thing of the past?
Yes Davis, gone are the days of Telex, Slide-rulers, Kodak films, Walkman's, Betamax (and VHS too), Polaroid, etc., etc......and of course the internet cafe. Obsolete. The remaining few coin-operated computers in albergues, loaded with virus (both physical and virtual) are of another time. We live in 2015....at least for another few months. accept it.
Buen camino

There were some internet cafes and internet kiosks at some bars and albergues in December 2012. The machines were usually old and the connections usually slow. If I were you I'd bring a wifi device for e-mail and for e-tickets.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes Davis, gone are the days of Telex, Slide-rulers, Kodak films, Walkman's, Betamax (and VHS too), Polaroid, etc., etc......and of course the internet cafe. Obsolete. The remaining few coin-operated computers in albergues, loaded with virus (both physical and virtual) are of another time. We live in 2015....at least for another few months. accept it.
Buen camino

Betamax? Gone? Oh No!

Thank you peregrina2000...
Another communication questions: I plan to buy a Spanish SIM card after arrival and install in my unlocked phone. If I then buy a plan that is talk and text only (no data), is it possible for me to connect to the internet where there is free wi-fi?

Buying a SIM with data is already inexpensive to begin with, most are less than €20, cheaper than any prepaid plan with data in the US, Canada, and Mexico. http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

We found very few internet places this year. For the first time we had a wi-fi enabled phone. We did the following to avoid excessive charges/data usage:- Turn off data on the phone side and put into airplane mode. Then turn on wi-fi and enable wi-fi data. How you do this depends on the phone. Then you can access the internet with wi-fi without incurring phone/data charges on the account or using your data allowance. We only used it occasionally and then only where the wi-fi was secure and required a password.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like many pilgrims I use my smartphone as a computer generally via a local wifi connection. Nevertheless after 10 years/10 CF caminos I am constantly conscious of changes both architectural/spatial and social along the way. Thus if you wish a list of those albergues remembered as still offering computers for pilgrim use as of last autumn (2014) just ask via a private conversation link.

MM

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The internet cafe is still handy for printing boarding passes or train tickets.
Sorry Wayfarer, but all airlines these days use and work with electronic boarding cards (this being to their own advantage) and it worked well for me also with Renfe, several times.

Sorry Wayfarer, but all airlines these days use and work with electronic boarding cards (this being to their own advantage) and it worked well for me also with Renfe, several times.
Not where I come from.
Still need to print them out.
Sometimes technology takes a while to reach Middle Earth.

Not where I come from.
Still need to print them out.
Sometimes technology takes a while to reach Middle Earth.
Sorry to you too, Gerardcarey, but I correct this in the interest of this community. When you book online (especially with the low-cost carriers favored by most peregrinos) you either get electronic confirmation and/or boarding card, no need to print-out. Spain* is not part of the Middle Earth.

*and Australia neither, from what I heard lately.

I have to say that I was getting a bit worried about boarding passes for my return journey to the UK. The marvels of technology allow me to book through my phone using the EJ App and also using an electronic boarding pass.
Where will it all end!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Pano, if you use Ryan Air you must print your boarding pass, not an option, unless you want to,pay more,at the registration desk.

I have to say that I was getting a bit worried about boarding passes for my return journey to the UK. The marvels of technology allow me to book through my phone using the EJ App and also using an electronic boarding pass.
Where will it all end!!
I am waiting for "Star Treck" type transporters where I will be beamed to STJPDP and my bag will be beamed to Romulan sector. :):)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Like many pilgrims I use my smartphone as a computer generally via a local wifi connection. Nevertheless after 10 years/10 CF caminos I am constantly conscious of changes both architectural/spatial and social along the way. Thus if you wish a list of those albergues remembered as still offering computers for pilgrim use as of last autumn (2014) just ask via a private conversation link.

MM
MM I just upgraded from an old flip phone to a Smartphone (now all it needs is a smart owner). It's a Nexus 5 so it came already unlocked. What I am thinking of doing, is removing the sim card and just using it for email and perhaps sending a photo now and then when I'm in a wifi zone. I'm still trying to determine if I really need a phone during my time in Spain…… Maggie

If you have an iPhone, and you can find wifi, you can call for free to another iPhone. You don't need a Sim card.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you have an iPhone, and you can find wifi, you can call for free to another iPhone. You don't need a Sim card.
The only 'i' product I have is an iMac desktop. My phone is a Nexus 5. I chose this because it is the only phone that came unlocked. All carriers (I'm in Canada) require a minimum 90-day period before the phone can be unlocked. I didn't have 90 days. I'm quite happy with it.

They are not a thing of the past, but they are dwindling rapidly. I succumbed to the iphone forces and have carried one for the last two caminos, so I now don't need to go looking for an internet cafe. Wifi is everywhere, virtually. I can't believe the tiny unpopulated little places where the bar offers wifi.

There are still a number of "locutorios", which provide phone services mainly to immigrants who want to call their distant homes. These places will also likely have computers that you can use for a couple of euros an hour. But they are decreasing -- I just learned that my favorite little place in old Santiago on the Rua Nova has closed. It had great sentimental value to me because it was there I learned my daughter was pregnant, and also where I got the news of my son's engagement. No stopping the change, I guess.

The other place you may still find computers for public use are in a "casa cultural" or a "hogar del jubilado" or some other government-run place in a small town. It's these small towns with high percentages of elderly, frequently unconnected people, and the government makes an effort to provide them instruction and opportunities for getting online and on email, etc. etc. Buen camino, Laurie

I too was disappointed to discover that great internet place on the Rua Nova in Santiago was gone. I use my phone for most everything now when I'm travelling but once or twice along the way it's much easier to reply to messages and send longer emails sitting at a real keyboard.

Just to add my two penny's worth. Just my take, but no need of a the very expensive iPhone as android and windows (tablet or phones)ones do exactly the same job at a fraction of the cost - I personally always buy unlocked phones and do pay as you go. Android is the better choice of these two as it supports more of the electronic boarding passes for the low cost airlines, I didn't think boarding passes were an issue on long haul as you just present passport and they print out boarding pass. Would not use an internet café these days as they are just not secure and would always go to public library or equivalent if my phone/tablet is not available. Took a very cheap 7 inch android tablet last year and had no problems connecting it just about everywhere.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When i was on camino i found the public libraries in the cities great for getting on the internet. I always found the library staff very friendly and helpful and no problem using a computer.

Yes, as AML said, public libraries are a good resource.
If you have an unlocked iPhone, you can get a SIM that will work in Spain for under €20
And often, the albergues will have a computer that you can use.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Remember that WiFi is pronounced "WeeFee" in Spain. ...if you are asking in a bar or other venue. You may get a lot of blank looks and denials if you ask for "WhyFy".

They usually have very difficult modem generated passwords because the owners have not changed them to something more usable. They can be a long jumble of upper and lower case letters and numbers. It is difficult to enter into the password box with the entry xxxed out.
My solution has been to type the password in "Notes" where I can see and edit the entry.
I then copy the password from "notes" and paste in the password box.
Works for me.

If in Santiago, try the Pilgrim House at 19 Rua Nova, the street parallel and to the east of Rua do Vilar (Pilgrim Office). They offer free internet for those with devices, and I believe tablet access. They have a tablet attached to the desktop. They can print boarding passes and do other printing too. They suggest donativo pricing. Plus, all the staff are outstanding at helping pilgrims.

The other conveniently located place in Santiago with coin-operated computers is the Hospederia San Martin Pinario. The two computers are located just beyond the registration desk along the left hallway wall. At leas tone of them is connected to a printer located behind the registration desk.

If you are on The Way into Santiago, good luck. I use an iPod v.5 that does everything an iPhone can do, except for those functions that require a cellular connection. But for simple Wi-Fi in hostals or albergues along the way, or in cafes that offer it, it is very convenient. Plus, it is SMALL.

Apple does make a v.6 version of the iPod with a faster processor and a higher resolution camera over my v.5. However, they are retiring (killing off) the iPod line within the next few months, as they sell very few of them and most people use smart phones. So, if you were interested in obtaining an iPod v6, you need to scurry to your local electronics shop and pick one up. As this device also has a fine digital camera and can play videos / movies, as well as mp3 music, I strongly recommend paying for the 64 Gb model.

For voice and text use, I carry an old-school Samsung flip phone that I put a EU SIM card into when my plane lands in Europe. Although this means carrying two devices, I find it is more secure and less exposed to security problems.

I hope this helps.

I also used to have an old GSM phone but found that coverage wasn't that great outside towns. In the end I took the plunge and bought a windows phone that supported the latest 3 and 4 G technologies. I use it just for text and emergency calls and have the data turned off. I use the in built Wi-Fi to connect to the many free networks and use skype/Facebook and emails to keep in touch - also has a great camera and music store/player. It cost me about 80 pounds for a new unlocked one - bargain!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry to contradict you too, Anemone; with a very few exceptions (and not concerning the Camino-relevant airports), Ryanair uses mobile boarding cards (see https://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/does-ryanair-have-a-mobile-boarding-pass-service/)
Good luck being stuck at the Santiago airport, and with all people reading your advice being stick there as well. One of the key services offered by Pilgrim House is just that. Print your boarding pass and pack your poles: the 2 Ryan Air in Santiago rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
:D
Good luck being stiuck at the Santiago airport, and with all people reading your advice being stick there as well. One of the key serives offered by Pilgrim House is just that. Primt your voaridng pass and pack your poles: the 2 Ryan Air in Santiago rules.
I don't know why some try to confuse this community so persistently.
In the last two years passing a half dozen times through SdC airport using Ryanair, Vueling and Swiss Air, I never had a single issue using mobile boarding passes, but here you go: MOBILE BOARDING PASS: it is an electronic file with a bar-code, the flight number and (usually) a seat assignment, looking very much like a printed boarding pass. It has to be specifically claimed at the time of the online booking and is usually sent 24hours before departure to your email address or by SMS. Ideally, it is stored on an app like "Passport" (IOS) or a similar Android app so that it can be produced on screen anytime and quick.
An e-ticket, an email with a flight confirmation, a payment confirmation, a flight itinerary.....all this is NOT A MOBILE BOARDING PASS.* With the proliferation of smartphones, e-boarding has rapidly become a general standard and it saves airlines big money, this is why they have a strong incentive to promote it.
But I consent to Anemone's advise: If you are not familiar with these rapidly progressing innovations of modern traveling....or if you simply like paper in your hands (not meant ironically), the print-out is an option, be careful that you don't loose it :D

*) PS. Beware: Many bookings are actually made with third parties other than the airline itself. These third parties advertise themselves on internet search engines as "Cheapest flights" etc., buying empty seat-options in bulk.
Basically nothing wrong with that except that they cannot issue boarding passes. In order to get one, you therefore have to log-in with the carrier directly and apply for a boarding pass.
I believe that this is the major cause of confusion.

:D
I don't know why some try to confuse this community so persistently.
In the last two years passing a half dozen times through SdC airport using Ryanair, Vueling and Swiss Air, I never had a single issue using mobile boarding passes, but here you go: MOBILE BOARDING PASS: it is an electronic file with a bar-code, the flight number and (usually) a seat assignment, looking very much like a printed boarding pass. It has to be specifically claimed at the time of the online booking and is usually sent 24hours before departure to your email address or by SMS. Ideally, it is stored on an app like "Passport" (IOS) or a similar Android app so that it can be produced on screen anytime and quick.
An e-ticket, an email with a flight confirmation, a payment confirmation, a flight itinerary.....all this is NOT A MOBILE BOARDING PASS. With the proliferation of smartphones, e-boarding has rapidly become a general standard and it saves airlines big money, this is why they have a strong incentive to promote it.
But I consent to Anemone's advise: If you are not familiar with these rapidly progressing innovations of modern traveling....or if you simply like paper in your hands (not meant ironically), the print-out is an option, be careful that you don't loose it :D

I must agree with PANO. Last March I used a Mobile Boarding Pass for Ryanair at Malta, Madrid and Santiago Airports. Absolutely no problem. Just make sure you have enough battery power and your mobile is in good working condition. As a precaution, if accompanied and not alone, it would be good if both have applications on which the Boarding Passes are uploaded.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry to you too, Gerardcarey, but I correct this in the interest of this community. When you book online (especially with the low-cost carriers favored by most peregrinos) you either get electronic confirmation and/or boarding card, no need to print-out. Spain* is not part of the Middle Earth.

Hello PANO,

This past summer when I flew back to Dublin from Santiago I needed a print-out of my ticket. Had I not had this paper ticket Aer Lingus would have charged me 50 euros. I sure am glad I read the fine print. I couldn't find anywhere along the way to print it and had someone post me print-out of my ticket to the Santiago Post Office. Airlines are strange and wondrous entities seeking our coin in creative ways having nothing to do with proximity to Middle Earth.

So, here goes, from the horse's mouth - Ryanair: "Mobile boarding passes are available to EU/EEA Nationals. Eligible customers must hold a valid passport or national identity card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country and must be departing from an airport that will accept a mobile boarding pass"
https://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/who-can-avail-of-a-mobile-boarding-pass/

While I have Spanish citizenship I do not live in Europe so I do not have EU/EEA ID. I cannot use a mobile boarding pass.

Also: "
Once a passenger has checked in online the boarding pass can be reprinted up to 2 hours before the scheduled flight departure time. Click here to reprint your boarding pass. Passengers who arrive at the airport who have lost/forgotten their printed online boarding passes will be required to pay a Boarding Card Reissue Fee in order to receive a new boarding pass at the airport (Business Plus customers can check-in free of charge at the airport) . This facility is available up to 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure."
http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/i-have-forgotten-lost-my-online-boarding-passes/

Not sure I am trying to "confuse this community so persistently" but rather just sharing a bit of reality that may not be that of someone living in Switzerland. Mind you, I'm assuming that in this case like in many others the Swiss are getting lumped in with the EEA citizens).

So, here goes, from the horse's mouth - Ryanair: "Mobile boarding passes are available to EU/EEA Nationals. Eligible customers must hold a valid passport or national identity card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country and must be departing from an airport that will accept a mobile boarding pass"
https://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/who-can-avail-of-a-mobile-boarding-pass/

While I have Spanish citizenship I do not live in Europe so I do not have EU/EEA ID. I cannot use a mobile boarding pass.

Also: "
Once a passenger has checked in online the boarding pass can be reprinted up to 2 hours before the scheduled flight departure time. Click here to reprint your boarding pass. Passengers who arrive at the airport who have lost/forgotten their printed online boarding passes will be required to pay a Boarding Card Reissue Fee in order to receive a new boarding pass at the airport (Business Plus customers can check-in free of charge at the airport) . This facility is available up to 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure."
http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/i-have-forgotten-lost-my-online-boarding-passes/

Not sure I am trying to "confuse this community so persistently" but rather just sharing a bit of reality that may not be that of someone living in Switzerland. Mind you, I'm assuming that in this case like in many others the Swiss are getting lumped in with the EEA citizens).
Hello PANO,

This past summer when I flew back to Dublin from Santiago I needed a print-out of my ticket. Had I not had this paper ticket Aer Lingus would have charged me 50 euros. I sure am glad I read the fine print. I couldn't find anywhere along the way to print it and had someone post me print-out of my ticket to the Santiago Post Office. Airlines are strange and wondrous entities seeking our coin in creative ways having nothing to do with proximity to Middle Earth.

I stand corrected. Thanks Anemone, Fieryone, for contributing this valuable information about a totally senseless and arbitrary regulation. One good reason to avoid Ryanair.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just an added tip re mobile passes and phones. If your device is out of battery and cannot be turned on, to prove it is 'just' a phone or tablet, it may well be confiscated as a possible security threat. Not sure if this is just a UK ruling/EU or different carriers, but be safe and make sure the device is well charged. :)

To return to the OP:-
There was an internet cafe at the far end of the Rúa Vilar, to the left on the main road at the far side and down some steps.
For those on the Norte there is one near the FEVE station in Santander. It is in a grocery store with a sign outside again down some steps. Walk down the very wide main road with the FEVE wall on your right, cross at the crossing near Nicolás Salmerón and walk back towards town. It was functioning in May 2015.

I recently flew Easyjet from Bristol to Bilbao and had to print my boarding pass.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just an added tip re mobile passes and phones. If your device is out of battery and cannot be turned on, to prove it is 'just' a phone or tablet, it may well be confiscated as a possible security threat. Not sure if this is just a UK ruling/EU or different carriers, but be safe and make sure the device is well charged. :)

Regrettably, this is a worldwide threat. The field of counter-terrorism is like a cat and mouse game, with each side constantly learning new tricks and techniques to catch-up the other.

Unfortunately for all of us, that means that travel, especially by air is a constantly changing paradigm. Because the threat environment constantly changes, so too must the counter-measures.

In the specific case of electronic devices (not just mobile or smart phones), the savages have discovered how to make very small, but very powerful explosives, and to fit them to the casings of small electronic devices. Mobile and smart phones are the most popular to exploit, because they are the most commonly used and carried. Tablets and smaller notebook computers are next up the preference-chain.

Commonly, airport security does not make you remove these from a handbag or other carryon that is scanned. However, if they are in the slightest doubt, you will be asked to turn the device on to prove it is what it appears to be, and harmless.

Regrettably, this is something that will constantly change over the months and years...

I hope this helps.

Hello OP,

As a few have already stated, there are indeed a few Internet cafes but there are not many and I reckon with the rise of smart phones they will soon be gone. I don't have a mobile phone and I don't travel with any electronics, so WiFi is a moot point for me and I can't speak to it's availability. However you didn't ask about WiFi you asked about Internet cafes. This was my experience this past summer.

I found a whopping total of three Internet cafes (Pamploma, Leon, and Burgos) along the Camino Frances. I also found a few lonely coin-operated Internet computers in train/bus stations (I wasn't taking a train/bus but there because of a tip from a local Spanish woman), libraries, and tourist offices. Twice I went into a hotel and asked to use their coin-operated terminals, and both times the desk staff graciously allowed this scruffy pilgrim into their lobby. I've heard that you can also find coin-operated Internet computers at some of the larger post offices but I never checked that tip out. Some albergues do have coin-operated computers but they are almost always rife with viruses and they are expensive.

Despite the spottiness of finding public Internet computers I was able to touch base via email with my friends and family about every 3-5 days. It's possible to do but it takes a bit of searching. I often asked a local where to find a public Internet computer. Revealing my troglodyte ways was great comic relief and started some wonderful conversations.

Buen Camino Davis!

One little tip to add to the e-boarding pass discussion -- for all important travel documents (accommodations, travel confirmations) that you received via email, take screen shots so you have them in your photos. I learned the hard way in a taxi in NYC when I couldn't recall the name or address of my hotel which were in my email but for some reason that I don't recall, I couldn't get into it.

Buen Camino!

Some food for thought, with the prevalence of identity theft, would you want to log onto your bank to check balances, transfer funds, pay bills, etc. on a public computer/public wifi? All of the albergue coin op computers I saw were ancient (Windows XP) and I doubt they were secure or even had any security software installed.

It's nice to see that this thread has returned to the original question - as someone who doesn't bring a phone on my camino, I have two possible choices with Ryanair - pay extra to reserve my seat more than seven days ahead and print off my boarding pass before I leave - or find an internet cafe on the camino to print off my boarding pass

On the Norte, I found computer shops that sold internet with printer access on the couple of occasions that I needed them - once in Laredo and then in Gijon - but they are certainly a dying breed - though I did find internet access at a couple of hotels along the way in Cadavedo and Navia

It's nice to see that this thread has returned to the original question - as someone who doesn't bring a phone on my camino, I have two possible choices with Ryanair - pay extra to reserve my seat more than seven days ahead and print off my boarding pass before I leave - or find an internet cafe on the camino to print off my boarding pass

On the Norte, I found computer shops that sold internet with printer access on the couple of occasions that I needed them - once in Laredo and then in Gijon - but they are certainly a dying breed - though I did find internet access at a couple of hotels along the way in Cadavedo and Navia

spursfan
You can print off your boarding pass in Santiago a few hours before...some of the albergue owners (private could do this for you if your nice)on there private printers.

internet cafes are not secure and never were on the camino and neither are your phones in some situation as was shown to me recently......Ryanair is cheap if you play by there rules..

You could buy a smart phone like I reluctantly did, install a ryanair app ask any very young person and they will show everything you need to ever know about apps etc and how to use these things... you can print your own boarding pass then with ryanair.......on my first camino I was asked do I use whatsapp, alien language to me then......now with free wi-fi on the camino so you if you need to keep in touch with people you meet on the camino who are ahead or behind you can to meet up in Santaigo....easy to book flights to suit you....ALSA bus apps......

you don't need a phone on camino.......by the way...however I am one of the newest victims

I don't intend buying a smartphone anytime in the future - occasional access to my email and a printer is all that I need on the camino

I don't intend buying a smartphone anytime in the future - occasional access to my email and a printer is all that I need on the camino
So you expect somebody (else) has a computer and a printer ready just in case you walk by? Not an attractive business plan and not many enough of you, mate.

Libraries still have some computers , often located in the council offices, or similar. You can try asking in the tourist offices if there is internet available in town. We found one (but off Camino), time limit and usage defined but free and a printer available. They are still there for study purposes so avoid times when the students may be using them

I rea

Spursfan

I for one respect your stance

with a phone you can have "occasional access to mail "and most smart phones are able to print from..
you can keep it off when not needed...if you had a serious fall and out of sight or sound of other pilgrims at least your phone location enabled will help you even when your not 100% sure exactly where you are when you call the emergency services...they will locate you because of the modern features now.

you can even send a location sms so they can see where you are......all you need to do is ask any young person and before you know it your up to speed........I found that aspect practical and a potential life saver.

They also save you loads of money .. you can book on line when BARGAIN flight comes up with out being attached to a PC.

I rea
Spursfan
I for one respect your stance
with a phone you can have "occasional access to mail "and most smart phones are able to print from..
you can keep it off when not needed...if you had a serious fall and out of sight or sound of other pilgrims at least your phone location enabled will help you even when your not 100% sure exactly where you are when you call the emergency services...they will locate you because of the modern features now.
you can even send a location sms so they can see where you are......all you need to do is ask any young person and before you know it your up to speed........I found that aspect practical and a potential life saver.
They also save you loads of money .. you can book on line when BARGAIN flight comes up with out being attached to a PC.
@mountaingoat999, I am afraid that your reasoning (which of course is absolutely correct) may be futile. There is a category of people that simply cannot be accessed because they are, -for whatever reasons-) not ready to accept that things change, requiring a certain amount of curiosity to learn. Many have somehow missed the chance to acquire knowledge and understanding of new technologies incrementally and now they are lost because the learning-curve to catch up seems too steep for them. Consequently, they are in a state of denial and often hide their lack of competence with an attitude.
Aged solidly at the wrong side of seventy myself, I hate to think that it is also a sign of age; my curiosity still is fully intact and I am frequently being asked for help in all things IT by people half my age.
What I'd like to say to @spursfan and others: You are embarrassing yourselves by "proudly" publicizing your denial and tech-phobia. You say that you don't want to be disturbed on your camino; fine, these "thingies" have a switch-off button. You don't want to spend money to be connected; sure, put your phone on airplane mode and use it for free when you have WiFi signal. You say that you don't need a smartphone; well, but not having one you don't really know, do you? The camino and your lifestyle in general are NOT contradictory with the (intelligent-) use of a modern smartphone; on the contrary, not carrying one is unreasonable and foolish. The problem is not the smartphone, its you, but you can change that. All you have to do, is to put a little effort into LEARNING, which should NEVER be embarrassing! Give up your attitude and find out about how to use these things. Where I live, frequent courses are offered to seniors or "technical dummies" and are btw excellent opportunities to mingle socially; "there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers" and its easier to learn in a group.
Smartphones are what the vast majority of people including your family use to communicate and without, you are making it difficult for them to reach and to include you. By learning how to use these really practical tools, you'll discover new opportunities and its fun. The mere fact that you are able to be part of this forum proves that you can do it, its not any more difficult than logging-in.
Utreya!

I like this conversation.

I believe the last time I saw an Internet Cafe was during a port visit to Sydney about 16 years ago.

Internet Cafe and the 1-800 number (in USA) are becoming obsolete.

Like calling 1-800-Obsolete.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Public computers in libraries are great when they are open, then again this is Spain, catching them when they are open is key.

The truth is rather more prosaic - I spend the rest of the year never far away from my email so people can get hold of me through that - so part of the attraction of the camino is getting away from the otherwise ever-present email

The truth is rather more prosaic - I spend the rest of the year never far away from my email so people can get hold of me through that - so part of the attraction of the camino is getting away from the otherwise ever-present email
I do this by simply disabling the "work-"email account and by setting-up one exclusively for the camino; practical when I give that one to my co-peregrinos as it keeps the precious correspondence with them separate. Voila. :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please don't sneer at those of us who pefer to walk without certain modern technology. Part of our Camino is to be away from its pervasiveness. We carry simple 'talk and text' phones. The relief from constant contact gave time for reflection etc. Our family are happy with that, they too go 'out of contact' when in Namibia or Botswana and in the bush.
We too for the camino have a seperate e-mail address (family only) so even if we do access a library computer we are not accessing all the other e-mails which have accumulated.

I think the point is that smart phones are only pervasive if you personally set them up to be so. If you don't want to be in contact with anyone 99.999% of the time, it takes a second to set the phone up for that. If you never want to be interrupted but only want to send a single text every third day, it takes seconds to set the phone up for that. If you want no contact with anyone whatsoever, it takes seconds to do that. Meanwhile, you can still have a decent camera, compass, maps, GPS trails, calendar, calculator, currency converter, music box, flashlight, books, emergency phone, boarding passes, itinerary information, copy of important documents, etc. all in a single device the size of...... a phone. If you don't want some of those things, great - turn them off. With al the obsessing that people do about cutting toothbrushes in half to save a gram, it seems like smart phones look pretty darn useful even if you want "to be away from its pervasiveness" and " relief from constant contact to give time for reflection".

Please don't sneer at those of us who pefer to walk without certain modern technology. Part of our Camino is to be away from its pervasiveness. We carry simple 'talk and text' phones. The relief from constant contact gave time for reflection etc. Our family are happy with that, they too go 'out of contact' when in Namibia or Botswana and in the bush.
We too for the camino have a seperate e-mail address (family only) so even if we do access a library computer we are not accessing all the other e-mails which have accumulated.

@MichaelSB: you beat me in posting the same opinion....:D
No-one is sneering here, Tia Valeria, just trying to weed-out prejudices resulting from lack of knowledge. A smartphone merely is the modern version of that "simple talk and text phone" of yours, giving you additionally:
- Detailed and scalable maps of your location
- Availability of information about landmarks and history, guides;
- Translation services; instant phrases;
- Access to itineraries, timetables, booking-services, Camino-forum;)
- Personal physical data (walking-time, distance, elevation, etc.)
- Accommodation information and instant reservation (think of bad weather, exhaustion)
- Emergency button to call for instant help, connecting with nearest medical assistance, police;
- Local weather information, forecasts
- taking notes, diaries, blogs;
- camera, video-recorder, voice-recorder with save back-up in the cloud, flashlight, compass;
- News (for those interested)
- Data storage (boarding cards, schedules, back-up of credit card- and other important numbers, etc)
- Music (for those interested)
- Skype, FaceTime (free communication)
- reminders (alarm-clock, to-do, dates)
- avoiding virus-infected, leaking and insecure, outdated, filthy computers in internet cafes and libraries;
....and more.
Why would any of the above (used with discretion) diminish or disturb the camino experience, preventing you from enjoying your time of reflection, stopping you of "going out of contact"? To have all these useful functions instantly available in a tiny, flat and light device WHEN YOU WANT IT is one of the more positive achievements of mankind, (IMHO but this would be another debate) and I am not suggesting that everyone is obliged to use all the above all the time, of course.
Negative effects such as distraction, disturbance by incoming mails, messages, unwanted calls, etc. can be blocked-out efficiently and selectively, there is a switch-off button for everything, even for the entire device. I have full understanding and sympathy for the poor "connection-junkies" too weak to switch off and therefore preferring to leave the "corpus delicti" at home of course; but then this is hardly the fault of the device.

Tia
On all forums there is a Tendency to look at a post and take it personal..especially on here....or take a slant from a post in a way which is not actually there..
I remember before wi-fi sprung up on the camino CF if you carried a mobile it was looked upon as odd.....

there was not the constant neck bent down looking at there phone, tables full of people doing the camino sitting around a table in the evening looking at or using there phone totally distracted ?
same in the albergues

you do not need a torch to find your way to your bunk in the evening when lights are out.,its like a Xmass tree lite up...

before there was a lot more conversation... eye contact and so on......

MichaelSG makes very positive reading on the plus side for carrying a phone.
many people venture further afield now because they have instant contact with family and friends....or are able too when they may reconsidered otherwise

as the camino changes with modern technology so do the people who go there.......hot water.....wi-fi- rucksack transport-better maintained paths ....
as with all pursuits, its the majority that is catered for...

I am a remote pathless winter walker, and take a sat-phone(hire or buy)when away from people enjoying myself......I use the phone to suit me if and when or not at all...I can do this on camino with a smart phone.

you don't need a phone on the camino just as much as I don't need a knife and fork to eat my dinner, I can use my hands.

Last edited:
@PANO and @mountaingoat999 - Had you read my earlier posts here you would have seen that this year we did have a cheap smartphone - as pdf file back-up for our paper hotel reservations. We also e-mailed our daughter twice with short info for the forum. For the rest we kept to our old talk and text. :)
We found very few internet places this year. For the first time we had a wi-fi enabled phone. We did the following to avoid excessive charges/data usage:- Turn off data on the phone side and put into airplane mode. Then turn on wi-fi and enable wi-fi data. How you do this depends on the phone. Then you can access the internet with wi-fi without incurring phone/data charges on the account or using your data allowance. We only used it occasionally and then only where the wi-fi was secure and required a password.
We chose to keep it turned off and if that is the OPs desire then hopefully he will find an internet cafe, or a library open, with computer access and a printer. I believe printing passes is also one of the services offered to pilgrims at Pilgrim House.

Aged solidly at the wrong side of seventy myself, I hate to think that it is also a sign of age; my curiosity still is fully intact and I am frequently being asked for help in all things IT by people half my age.
What I'd like to say to @spursfan and others: You are embarrassing yourselves by "proudly" publicizing your denial and tech-phobia. You say that you don't want to be disturbed on your camino; fine, these "thingies" have a switch-off button. You don't want to spend money to be connected; sure, put your phone on airplane mode and use it for free when you have WiFi signal. You say that you don't need a smartphone; well, but not having one you don't really know, do you? The camino and your lifestyle in general are NOT contradictory with the (intelligent-) use of a modern smartphone; on the contrary, not carrying one is unreasonable and foolish.
Utreya!

I haven't followed this entire thread, but just tuned in to see a couple of posts. I have to say that I think that telling people they are embarrassing themselves and that their decisions are unreasonable and foolish does constitute, at a minimum, sneering at someone. That goes way beyond voicing your opinion about how wonderful technology is. Why not just leave it at that? No one should feel the need to defend his or her choice to use or not to use any piece of equipment on a camino. If you disagree with the rationale, so be it, feel free to explain it, but please keep the personal digs out of it. Buen camino, Laurie

. . . . . . . . .
My solution has been to type the password in "Notes" where I can see and edit the entry.
I then copy the password from "notes" and paste in the password box.
Works for me.

I do this all the time when putting in passwords and ID numbers especially on library computers etc. where there might be "keylogger" malware. You can then type extra letters and or numbers in the string, copy and paste and then delete the extra. Not infallible (but then nothing is in IT) but it is simple and does confuse the baddies. Every little helps :)

blessings
Tio Tel

This post has been deleted and warning points issued to the poster.

An open and clear violation of Rule 7 of the Forum Rules regarding moderation.
If you have a problem with the moderators take it to a Private Message....not on the open forum.

Grayland

Lets try to get back to the discussion which was about the availability of WiFi (WeeFee) on the Camino and the availability of Internet Cafes.

Please feel free to offer an explanation of what you personally do to stay in contact...or not.
Please DO NOT express your opinions of others who choose to do it in a different manner.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back