• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Jaca via Madrid or Bacelona from the UK?

My friends and I will start the camino Aragonés from Jaca in late March. If we fly to Madrid, what is best way to get to Jaca -bus or train and from which station? Or should we make our way from Barcelona?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buses or trains usually connect through Zaragoza either from Barcelona or Madrid, so your choice.

Hi Suzanne,

I was just starting to write when falcon answered, and I was going to say pretty much the same thing. So I would go to whichever Spanish city is cheaper and quicker for you, and then plan on about a 5-6 hour train ride. You can get train schedules at RENFE.com

I know you didn´t ask, but I just walked the Aragonés in June, and by far the most spectacular part is north of Jaca to the French border. I know you may have lots of snow issues in late March, but if it were me, I'd try my hardest to get up to Somport to see the mountains and walk around a bit, inhaling that unbelievably crisp clean mountain air! Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You could also take the airport bus from Madrid to Pamplona.
Then you could spend a day or two in Pamplona seeing the city and adjusting to the time change.
From Pamplona there are easy buses to Jaca.

Hi Annie, i'm also planning on walking the Aragones next April. Does the bus from Pamplona go all the way to Somport Pass? Judy.

Hi Annie, i'm also planning on walking the Aragones next April. Does the bus from Pamplona go all the way to Somport Pass? Judy.

Hi, Judy, I researched a similar question this past summer and I think you will have to change in Jaca.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/santa-cilia-de-jaca-to-somport.34613/#post-316943

Buen camino, Laurie

Edit: looks like there is one bus a day from Pamplona to Jaca, leaving Pamplona at 15:15, arriving Jaca 16:57. You would then transfer in Jaca to a bus leaving at 19:35, arriving around 20:00 in Somport. There is nothing at the pass except the albergue and bar/cafe, and the abandoned border crossing buildings.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When we walked the Aragonés, we also went first to Pamplona, enjoyed the next morning there and then took the only bus, which is in the afternoon to Jaca.

Thanks Laurie and Anna for the info. I am planning to walk the Aragones next April and i wasn't sure which city i would fly into but with the info you have given me i will now fly into Madrid and make my way to Somport Pass to start my walk. I'm then planning to continue along the Frances to Leon and then taking a bus to Oviedo and walk the Primitivo.

Buen Camino Judy.

Thanks Laurie and Anna for the info. I am planning to walk the Aragones next April and i wasn't sure which city i would fly into but with the info you have given me i will now fly into Madrid and make my way to Somport Pass to start my walk. I'm then planning to continue along the Frances to Leon and then taking a bus to Oviedo and walk the Primitivo.

Buen Camino Judy.
Well, since I'm giving lots of unsolicited advice, have you thought about walking from Leon to Oviedo on the Salvador? It is amazing! There might or might not still be snow there if it's late April or early May but you could always bail to the bus if you couldn't get over the pass at Pajares. Lots of info here on the forum, including links to a guide by Rebekah and the English translation of a guide by the Salvador Camino Angel, Ender. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Laurie, I don't mind unsolicited advice, all advice is very welcome. Yes i had thought about walking the Salvador as well but if my calculations are right i will be already walking about 1100 kms and at 64 am i taking on to much. My thoughts are if i'm flying from OZ i might as well do as much as i can. Each time i prepare for another walk i say to my husband this will be my last one and then like a lot of other pilgrims as soon as i arrive home i start planning the next one. I didn't even make it home last year before my thoughts were on my next Camino. Thanks Laurie Buen Camino Judy.

Yes i had thought about walking the Salvador as well but if my calculations are right i will be already walking about 1100 kms and at 64 am i taking on to much. .

Hi, Judy,
Well, that number seems high to me. My estimate: Aragones -- 165; Puente la Reina to Leon -- 375; Oviedo to Santiago 310 -- that gives you 850, and if you want to walk a thousand you can add the 130 of the Salvador and almost make it. :) Seriously, I'm not trying to boss you around and tell you what to do, but you should at least keep your options open if you have the time, if you're feeling good, and if the weather is good, because it is so very beautiful. I last walked the Salvador when I was 61, but I hope to do it again before I hit 70.

Like you, I can get away with this year after year because each year I tell my husband it may be my last one. I know that will happen someday, but I'm hoping for another ten years at least! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie, I don't mind unsolicited advice, all advice is very welcome. Yes i had thought about walking the Salvador as well but if my calculations are right i will be already walking about 1100 kms and at 64 am i taking on to much. My thoughts are if i'm flying from OZ i might as well do as much as i can. Each time i prepare for another walk i say to my husband this will be my last one and then like a lot of other pilgrims as soon as i arrive home i start planning the next one. I didn't even make it home last year before my thoughts were on my next Camino. Thanks Laurie Buen Camino Judy.

Hello Judy
Just a quick note as we are due to catch the Indian/Pacific in a few hours. Glad to hear of your plans - will you be on your own? I stayed at Arres some years ago - LOVED it.
My wife plays bridge. I never complain about the time she spends away at bridge tournaments, and she never complains about the time I spend in Spain. If I added up the times she is away at bridge each year, it would exceed the time I am in Spain. We never argue about money, politics or time away indulging our separate passions. Everything else is up for grabs!
buen camino
Alan
Be brave. Life is joyous.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Alan, Good to hear from you, i have been wondering when you were going on your trip. I'm not sure if my friend is coming or not as i haven't heard from her for a few months, i will send her an email as i'm starting to look at flights. Martin doesn't care if i go, infact he is very supportive. After years of following him and our four sons around with their sports i guess it is now my turn and he has his trips to Japan to ski. Have a great trip. We will talk when you get home.

Buen Camino Judy.

Hi Laurie, Thank goodness you are on the ball, you are right, my milage for the Frances section was wrong. You are not bossing me around, i'm open to all ideas and now that i have corrected my milage i will look at the Salvador.

Buen Camino Judy.

Hi Marjude, my friend and I took the train from Barcelona to Zaragoza then walked upstairs to the bus station and caught bus to Jaca.From there bus to Somport arriving at 3ish we then walked down to Canfranc Estacion to spend the night.
This shortened the next days walk.
I too am thinking of the Salvador and Primitivo next April but have recently been discouraged by a younger friend saying that she thought it was too hard for me on my own. Of course she walked in very hot August.
Decisions!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Marjude, my friend and I took the train from Barcelona to Zaragoza then walked upstairs to the bus station and caught bus to Jaca.From there bus to Somport arriving at 3ish we then walked down to Canfranc Estacion to spend the night.
This shortened the next days walk.
I too am thinking of the Salvador and Primitivo next April but have recently been discouraged by a younger friend saying that she thought it was too hard for me on my own. Of course she walked in very hot August.
Decisions!!

Ignore the dire warnings of younger friends, especially since you are such an experienced peregrina. It is true that April might have snow that would make it impossible for you to get through the pass (see jpflavin's accounts of his Salvador in April on the forum), but that would be true for a young pilgrim as well. If you decide to keep the Salvador as an option, I would suggest being in touch with Ender as the time gets near (he's the one behind the Camino del Salvador facebook page) -- he will have up to date information on the snow conditions.

And btw, I just checked his facebook page and saw that there is a new albergue in Benduenos (off the camino a bit and before Campomanes, and the post says that the owner will come pick you up -- looks awesome) and there is a new edition of his Salvador guide. But it's in Spanish. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B61VvtkuNOwEX09kcEJaOGlteTg/view
It's the most complete and detailed guide I've seen. Lots of pictures and detailed walking instructions. Anyway, sorry to hijack the conversation over to the Salvador.

Back to the Aragones -- we did the same thing camino07 -- We walked from Ena on the Catalan past San Juan and down to the Aragones at Santa Cilia. We were lucky to get a ride all the way up to Somport, and then walked down to Canfranc Estacion. What a gorgeous walk! The second albergue (more highly rated) was closed, so we went to the first one, and it was fine.

The incredible train station is now open for guided tours but check the hours because it's limited. We missed the only tour of the day, unfortunately. We did spend about an hour poking around the grounds but the main building was locked up tight and only open to those on the tour.

Thanks Laurie for the positive vibes. Sometimes I doubt my abilities. I will wait until nearer time to go. Unfortunately don't speak/read Spanish but will check out Ender's guide.
On Aragones we stayed in first Albergue which was ok but freezing! Met others in the morning who said the second was cosy so will know next time. It would be great to tour the amazing train station,we also had a poke around.

Hi Camino07, Thanks for the info about the train and buses to get to Somport.
I agree with Laurie, you have walked a lot of Caminos and have lots of experience and as you say your friend walked when it was hot. You will probably meet other pilgrims on the way. I say to myself just go and see what happens.

Buen Camino Judy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I got a WhatsApp a little bit ago and also saw here on the forum that @Vacajoe posted that the pilgrim albergue in Canfranc Pueblo will be opening April 16.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back