• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Santiago to Finisterre

BarryO

Time of past OR future Camino
French Camino 2013 (by bike). Portuguese Camino 2016 (by bike).
Can anyone help me with a route for bike riding Santiago to Finisterre without using motorways. I've looked at Brierley's walking route but am not sure how viable this is on a bike.
Thanks
Barry

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
perfectly viable, I did it in May

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's about 50-50 between quiet road and dirt path. The path is not rocky and reasonably easy to cycle on.
It's great to get back on the 'real' camino after the crowds on the Sarria - SdeC leg on the camino Frances.
There are some lovely, lonely high moors between Olveiroa and Cee. The woods west of Negreria are nice too.

My bike is a Koga Randonneur treking bike http://www.koga.com/en/bikes/trekking/collection/randonneur.htm?frame=H.
If you ever want to take over the world this is the bike for the job! I had cycled from Clonmacnoise in Ireland, down the west coast of France and Camino Frances and got two punctures. No other problems whatsoever.

This bike is totally overkill for the Santiago - Finnisterre leg. You can do it on any good quality bike. If I was only doing SdeC, Finnisterre, Muxia, SdeC again, (don't tempt me!) I'd consider taking my road bike.

It's about 50-50 between quiet road and dirt path. The path is not rocky and reasonably easy to cycle on.
It's great to get back on the 'real' camino after the crowds on the Sarria - SdeC leg on the camino Frances.
There are some lovely, lonely high moors between Olveiroa and Cee. The woods west of Negreria are nice too.

My bike is a Koga Randonneur treking bike http://www.koga.com/en/bikes/trekking/collection/randonneur.htm?frame=H.
If you ever want to take over the world this is the bike for the job! I had cycled from Clonmacnoise in Ireland, down the west coast of France and Camino Frances and got two punctures. No other problems whatsoever.

This bike is totally overkill for the Santiago - Finnisterre leg. You can do it on any good quality bike. If I was only doing SdeC, Finnisterre, Muxia, SdeC again, (don't tempt me!) I'd consider taking my road bike.

Thanks again Gerry,
By the look of your bike you are a much more serious biker than any of us. Still we did bike the CF in 2013 so we are not too shabby, for our age!
We are hiring bikes from bike Iberia in Lisbon and they have suggested 'comfort touring bikes' for our ride from Lisbon to Finisterre. I think we should be on mountain bikes to take beast advantage where posible of the walkers route. Any comment?
Many thanks for your help
Barry

I'm 64 so I need all the help I can get from the bike!

On choice of bike it all depends on what you are carrying. On comfort tourers you can carry all your gear but might find a few parts of the walkers path difficult. On mountain bikes you can cycle the entire track but might have difficulty carrying your gear. Whatever suits you is the correct answer.

I confess to walking in a few places, not because I could not cycle it, but simply to extend my camino for another few precious minutes!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm 64 so I need all the help I can get from the bike!

On choice of bike it all depends on what you are carrying. On comfort tourers you can carry all your gear but might find a few parts of the walkers path difficult. On mountain bikes you can cycle the entire track but might have difficulty carrying your gear. Whatever suits you is the correct answer.

I confess to walking in a few places, not because I could not cycle it, but simply to extend my camino for another few precious minutes!
We are all late 60's with me the oldest at 74! We are happy to push the bikes now and again - adds to the adventure and as you said, every minute is precious. so i guess we'll go with the tourers.
Thanks again for your help and advice.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back