• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carry On Luggage Bad News for Flyers

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
In June the International Air Transport Association (IATA), which represents members of the airline industry, put forth industrywide guidelines for cabin baggage on aircraft with 120 or more seats.

The new preferred bag size, the group said, would be 21.5 by 13.5 by 7.5 inches, smaller than the common 22-by-14 by-9-inch bags many passengers have. So much for that generously sized bag you were thinking of buying for your European adventure. A number of major international airlines expressed interest in the initiative, including the German carrier Lufthansa. Soon travelers would be able to buy these smaller carry-on bags, which would come with an “IATA Cabin OK” logo, recognizable by the airline staff during the boarding process. And wouldn’t you know it, the association said it would not make Cabin OK logo tags available to travelers with bags that already meet the guidelines. Consumers would have to shell out for new bags if they want the Cabin OK designation.

Buying the bags would be voluntary, the association said. But passengers who choose not to get the new luggage could face uncertainty as to whether their bag would remain onboard a participating airline if the overhead bins were full. That’s because OK Cabin bags would theoretically be given priority to stay onboard in the event that not all carry-on bags could be accommodated.
NY Times

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not bad news at all.

As a frequent flyer I am constantly inconvenienced by people who break the rules and bring on oversize bags, or bring on a purse + a sack + a small rolling bag.

There are rules, people refuse to follow them. Hopefully this new rule will actually be enforced and courteous passengers will no longer be inconvenienced.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I completely agree, however habits of years and years must now perhaps be changed and life will not be easy. My worst complaint? Those who egotistically place their baggage as they enter the plane and then walk all the way back to be seated leaving those in the front seats with no place to put their own bags.

Changes in the regulations can seriously inconvenience (or confuse) those of us who, after considerable thought, purchased a new backpack for the camino which suited the current carry-on regulations, which were afterwards changed before they left. I am afraid of checking my backpack, as when I did so on my way to New Zealand last year, it did not arrive with me. I travelled in New Zealand for four weeks of a five week holiday before the locations of myself and my backpack were able to coincide. Obviously, I do not wish this to happen again on the camino, and I can now think of no way that I can prevent it. I am quite anxious about this. I am currently wondering whether wearing all my clothes on the plane and cinching down the pack tightly would make enough difference (it is a Gregory Z40). If you should see a woman wandering around the Madrid airport in late September looking like an over-stuffed teddy bear, please do not remind her that she is on the wrong continent to hibernate. She knows it already.

I must have gotten lucky. I checked my over-sized backpack, which flew to Dublin, London, and from Madrid to Istanbul, and there it was, happy to be reunited with me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I suppose our efforts to travel light will have to be doubled! But even though it may be complicated to adapt in the beggining, the outcome seems good for everyone.
(Specially for IATA bag sellers :p)

All previously mentioned complaints are disgustingly true. However, as long as there is no strict control at check-in and then at boarding control, the issues will remain as they are now. "Smart" people will always try to get through the maze so that cabin crew has to try and accommodate their excess luggage so that the plane can leave in time.:rolleyes:

This new bag size limitation is on "pause" for now according to the IATA. http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2015/06/18/carry-on-baggage-size/28915431/

Most pilgrims bring way too big of a pack to begin (myself included) with and think they are entitled to carry on their pack. Don't be surprised if you fly a small regional jet in Europe, when I checked in, the airline had me check my pack at no extra cost, when we got to the gate, everybody else had to gate check their bags and packs.
Even if your pack fits in the "bag check tester" you still might have check it in.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do as I, check your backpack in and it go in the cargohole and you have no problem at all. Wish you all well, Peter.
:D:D That's funny, Peter. Maybe you've never had a problem with checking your bag, but others have, and I wouldn't want to risk it either. My Osprey Exos fits the required specifications, as long as I put nothing in the top compartment. But when I boarded my flight my pockets were so full that I looked like the Michelin Man.

And I like your sense of humour. :D:D

Last edited:
This new bag size limitation is on "pause" for now according to the IATA. http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2015/06/18/carry-on-baggage-size/28915431/

Most pilgrims bring way too big of a pack to begin (myself included) with and think they are entitled to carry on their pack. Don't be surprised if you fly a small regional jet in Europe, when I checked in, the airline had me check my pack at no extra cost, when we got to the gate, everybody else had to gate check their bags and packs.
Even if your pack fits in the "bag check tester" you still might have check it in.
It is NOT just small regional jets in Europe. It happens in North America too. I fly regional jets about a half dozen times a year. The currently approved carry on bag is too large to fit in the overhead compartments on some fo those planes. I just check my bag each time I fly and I have a SMALL carry on that will fit the overhead. It is not a real hassle to check luggage.

As for those who are too scared to check your packs, I'm a 2-Million mile member of American Airlines, also a member of British Airways and United Airlines frequent flyer clubs. I've had 1 bag lost 1 time. It was delivered to my house the next morning. Its not that big of a deal.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is NOT just small regional jets in Europe. It happens in North America too. I fly regional jets about a half dozen times a year. The currently approved carry on bag is too large to fit in the overhead compartments on some fo those planes. I just check my bag each time I fly and I have a SMALL carry on that will fit the overhead. It is not a real hassle to check luggage.

As for those who are too scared to check your packs, I'm a 2-Million mile member of American Airlines, also a member of British Airways and United Airlines frequent flyer clubs. I've had 1 bag lost 1 time. It was delivered to my house the next morning. Its not that big of a deal.
I completely agree that it's not that big a deal to have a bag lost - if one is heading home, or is going to be staying put in one place - but such is not the case when one is going on Camino. People spend months - years sometimes - planning their Camino and working it into their busy lives, and I can quite understand if they don't want to risk having their Camino messed up if their pack doesn't arrive at their start-of-Camino destination when they do.

As a similar 2 million mile traveler to other comments, I've lost my bags only 2 or 3 times in the 50 odd years that I've been traveling. There is a simple solution. Unless you are very unlucky, bags normally catch up with you the next day or worst case two days after they are lost (had one of mine take an unscheduled trip to San Francisco while I was in Milan - 2 days). This can be mitigated by just staying at your end point for a couple of days as a safeguard. If your bags are there you can always start earlier, if not you have a buffer of time. Airline travel has gotten and probably will continue to get worse as competition ebbs and the desire to pack more souls into smaller spaces increases. It truly used to be an enjoyable respite. Now, unfortunately, unless you have a free mileage based upgrade to business or first travel on a plane can only be endured. But then, I guess that's why most of us on this forum like to use shank's mare.

While I know there's a risk of bags getting lost or misdirected if they are checked, I really dislike carrying/rolling/toting luggage around an airport. So I'm going to trust in the Camino Gods and check my backpack. I just carry my little day pack with my traveling gear in it and my money belt.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The one and only time I lost my bag was when I was walking....try getting your bag back when you have no address and no fixed itinerary! Strongly recommend if you can carry it on then you should.
On the approved luggage, nothing to stop you putting whatever mark you want to on your bags...

I completely agree, however habits of years and years must now perhaps be changed and life will not be easy. My worst complaint? Those who egotistically place their baggage as they enter the plane and then walk all the way back to be seated leaving those in the front seats with no place to put their own bags.
Scruffy, that has been my complaint for as long as I have been flying…..

I completely agree that it's not that big a deal to have a bag lost - if one is heading home, or is going to be staying put in one place - but such is not the case when one is going on Camino. People spend months - years sometimes - planning their Camino and working it into their busy lives, and I can quite understand if they don't want to risk having their Camino messed up if their pack doesn't arrive at their start-of-Camino destination when they do.
Oh I understand.

But it is rare to have a bag lost.

On the rare occasion when the bag is lost, it is usually found and delivered in about 24 hours.

So for those of us who travel by air with a backpack, as I have done 3 times this year (so far), if our bag is lost it is very likely that if you STAY PUT in your destination town for 24 hours that your bag will be delievered right to your hotel room.

If my bag is lost, and I hope it is not, on my way to my Camino, I will not press on without it. I will simply wait for it in my the city where the airplane landed.

Last time I checked, the Camino is about the journey, overcoming the hardships, pushing through the issues of the mind, the pains of the body and struggling with personal demons. Temporarily lost luggage may only be a small inconvenience in the entire journey. Offer up your suffering, it will come back to you in some positive way.

But people may simply have to PLAN DIFFERENTLY if they don't want to 'check through' their luggage. Perhaps a SMALL backpack. Perhaps planning to buy some gear at/near their starting point that will not fit in their backpack. There are ways to play by the rules if you think through them.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
.......Last time I checked, the Camino is about the journey, overcoming the hardships, pushing through the issues of the mind, the pains of the body and struggling with personal demons. Temporarily lost luggage may only be a small inconvenience in the entire journey. Offer up your suffering, it will come back to you in some positive way.
:D You hit the nail right on the head! Some of us have personal demons over which we have no control, and other demons over which we do have some control. As long as I'm able, I will try to control the latter. Camino hugs to you. :)

After 9/11 most airlines would even let you bring in carry on luggage or what passes for it by today's standards.

The world didn't come to an end. However back then we didn't have the same fees for checked baggage. If we could be assured our luggage wouldn't go missing or if people weren't in such a big hurry to get out of the airport this might not even be an issue.

As noted, many airlines have already declined to go along with the IATA suggestions.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not bad news at all.

As a frequent flyer I am constantly inconvenienced by people who break the rules and bring on oversize bags, or bring on a purse + a sack + a small rolling bag.

There are rules, people refuse to follow them. Hopefully this new rule will actually be enforced and courteous passengers will no longer be inconvenienced.
I'm torn. I don't like such behavior for the same reasons....and see it as directly conneted to a larger pattern of people being self minded in travel. BUT the charges for baggage underneath have become so ridiculous in the past ten years that I also have sympathy

In June the International Air Transport Association (IATA), which represents members of the airline industry, put forth industrywide guidelines for cabin baggage on aircraft with 120 or more seats.

The new preferred bag size, the group said, would be 21.5 by 13.5 by 7.5 inches, smaller than the common 22-by-14 by-9-inch bags many passengers have. So much for that generously sized bag you were thinking of buying for your European adventure. A number of major international airlines expressed interest in the initiative, including the German carrier Lufthansa. Soon travelers would be able to buy these smaller carry-on bags, which would come with an “IATA Cabin OK” logo, recognizable by the airline staff during the boarding process. And wouldn’t you know it, the association said it would not make Cabin OK logo tags available to travelers with bags that already meet the guidelines. Consumers would have to shell out for new bags if they want the Cabin OK designation.

Buying the bags would be voluntary, the association said. But passengers who choose not to get the new luggage could face uncertainty as to whether their bag would remain onboard a participating airline if the overhead bins were full. That’s because OK Cabin bags would theoretically be given priority to stay onboard in the event that not all carry-on bags could be accommodated.
NY Times

Can't help but be envious of those who have never had luggage lost or delayed. Even those who by some miracle see it returned "in 24 hrs."
Last year I boarded a plane in Ottawa bound for Madrid via Toronto. I was assured that although my bag met carry on regs it would, if checked, follow me along. Well guess what?

I got to Madrid and the bag remained in Toronto. I had a pre paid train reservation from Madrid to Pamplona and then bus and taxi to Sjpp. After an hour of discussion with the handlers we agreed that I would book a hotel room in Pamplona where the bag would find me "within 24 hrs."

When my bag arrived 4 days later I had spent 3 nights in a hotel at my expense and had to cut off the first 3 days of the Camino from Sjpp to Pamplona. Quite inconvenient.

It did teach me some patience and to think on the run as a host of different unplanned scenarios presented themselves as time passed.

In the end I enjoyed the three days in Pamplona unplanned for as they were. I completed the Camino within my time requirements. Losing the bag for three days is a distant memory of overcoming an obstacle and no more.

Lesson learned however and this year I will ensure carrying on my backpack. Liquids and other restricted items can be bought in any Pharmacy in Europe.

24 hours? I wish!

I have just discovered that Westjet, the second of the two main Canadian air carriers, has introduced new carry-on baggage regulations which are even more restrictive that the new IATA limits. For example, the maximum length of the main carry-on item is now 21 in. This is clearly an attempt to force more passengers to pay the checked baggage charges which have recently been introduced. I am scheming how to get around these new regulations and save myself the $75 in baggage fees that I would otherwise have to pay over the next few weeks. Other Canadian travellers take note and plan carefully if you want to limit yourselves to carry-on luggage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... BUT the charges for baggage underneath have become so ridiculous in the past ten years that I also have sympathy
So join the frequent flyer club or whatever the airline offers that is similar. Doing so will usually let you check 1 or even 2 bags free of charge. I don't really care about my airline club memberships, which are FREE, other than I get to use the FIRST CLASS LOUNGE occasionally, I get to check luggage for free, and I get priority boarding. All for FREE.

It is THEIR system. USE IT to make your travel easier for you!

I have just discovered that Westjet, the second of the two main Canadian air carriers, has introduced new carry-on baggage regulations which are even more restrictive that the new IATA limits. For example, the maximum length of the main carry-on item is now 21 in. This is clearly an attempt to force more passengers to pay the checked baggage charges which have recently been introduced. I am scheming how to get around these new regulations and save myself the $75 in baggage fees that I would otherwise have to pay over the next few weeks. Other Canadian travellers take note and plan carefully if you want to limit yourselves to carry-on luggage.

Get a smaller pack if you want to stay under the Westjet limits, that will keep you from being forced to check your pack on other flights too.

Do as I, check your backpack in and it go in the cargohole and you have no problem at all. Wish you all well, Peter.

If you consider the "all-in" costs of traveling to Europe from afar to do a Camino, the fractional cost of paying to ship one rucksack in a drawstring laundry bag should not prove a "deal-breaker." This issue falls under the rubric of being "penny wise and pound foolish," at least to me.

I regularly check-in one 30" Eagle Creek duffle bag containing my rucksack and hiking poles. The empty bag weighs less that one kilo', and is immediately posted down-the-road to Ivar at Santiago.

I have flown well over one million actual air miles across nearly all continents over 35 years. My pet peeves continue to be people who carry on far too much crap, then place their stuff in my allocated bin space, before hiking to their seats at the rear of the plane.

Whether I needed the bin space or not is not the issue. One is supposed to place their carry-on bag in their allocated space, above THEIR seat, or under the seat in front of them. There are valid reasons for this rule. Only one relates to convenience.

In fact, one of my most recent amusements on over-ocean flights is pointing these scofflaws out to the cabin crew during the boarding process, as I have early boarding privileges. I request the purser, not just any attendant, to remove the bag to the proper area, as a security precaution.

The flight crew CANNOT refuse, as placing the bag proximate to one's seat is, in fact, part of cabin security. The airline must be able to immediately connect a person on board to any piece of luggage. Think about it. I do not think I need to explain why it is not a good idea for a person to be sitting 50 meters from their carry-on bag, do I?

The result of my position and action on this is usually that the rude person is "outed," in front of everyone, their bag is either moved to the rear of the plane or gate-checked.

No, I do not care. If you want convenience, pay for it by buying a premium seat, check the bag, or simply stop traveling. Either choice would make all your fellow passengers feel safer.

With the recent airline silliness about downsizing the "standard" carry on size case to suit old overhead bins, instead of simply investing in the already long available bins designed to hold at least four 9 x 14 x 22 inch rollaboard bags, with wheels, STRAIGHT IN STANDING ON THEIR LONG EDGE, the air travel carriers are once again making a simple problem, with a simple solution, a far more complicated, onerous, and expensive proposition.

Nope, no mercy on this issue from me.

I am presently standing in front of the Pilgrim Office on Rua do Vilar. Greetings to all!

Blessings to you all. As a poor senior with family obligations (three out of province weddings this summer) and a call to pilgrimage this year, I am doing the best I can to follow all airline regulations. I bought a new backpack to comply, before the regulations were changed. I hope that I will not meet many on my pilgrimage route who think that only the wealthy should go on pilgrimage. I doubt if I shall, as I shall be staying in the cheapest albergues and cooking for myself when possible. I hope that I shall always have something to share with others. This thread has inspired me to let go of some of my anxieties, as the Lord will provide somehow, whatever happens. Buen camino to all of you.

Not bad news at all.

If they'd just enforce the current rules the problem would be greatly diminished and it wouldn't be necessary to set a new size limit. I was on a domestic flight from Chicago to Denver recently, and a girls' softball team boarded carrying all sorts of large duffel bags and equipment bags, none of which would fit within the current standard size limit. I'm not sure where they put all that stuff, as they continued back to the rear of the plane. It was a full flight, by the way (but aren't they all these days?)

I'm of the school of thought that my backpack stays with me at all times on the way there. I may check a box of extras (walking stick, liquids, etc) that won't cause me too much grief if they fail to arrive, but my bag stays with me. Fill my pockets, wear the jacket and fleece, and compress the heck out of the bag, turn the lap belt to tie around the bag itself, and my 45+10 L Deuter bag will still meet Ryan Air's carry on limits.

I've had airlines lose my luggage, and it's been 1 to 3 days before the airline has reunited it with me.

I'm of the school of thought that my backpack stays with me at all times on the way there. I may check a box of extras (walking stick, liquids, etc) that won't cause me too much grief if they fail to arrive, but my bag stays with me. Fill my pockets, wear the jacket and fleece, and compress the heck out of the bag, turn the lap belt to tie around the bag itself, and my 45+10 L Deuter bag will still meet Ryan Air's carry on limits.

I've had airlines lose my luggage, and it's been 1 to 3 days before the airline has reunited it with me.
Fail to see how your Deuter 45+10 will meet Ryan Airs carry on limit which is 55 40 20 cm or 21.6 15.7 7.8ins. Would imagine the frame alone would not meet the length requirement. Made a quick check and seems it would not. I bought a Exos 35 on the strength that it would meet the Ryan air requirement based on a call to Osprey and the guy measuring the frame only to find it was .5 inch to big. And decided was not going to risk the 100 or so extra fee for checking it in at the counter after having failed the size requirement check. Of course I may be missing something with the Deuter so don't be afraid to tell me where I am going wrong.

It was the ladies' lite version and it just -barely- fit inside the airline's bag checker frame thingy at the airport. A fraction longer and it wouldn't. If I hadn't compressed it and tied the hip belt snug backwards around the bag, it wouldn't either.

Fortunately, I rarely go Ryan Air and to this point other airlines have had more generous sizes.

NY Times
The big 3 airlines are talking about it here in the states. It's a BS move by the airlines to gouge the air traveler for more money. Air carriers are making $/€/£ hand over fist and still want more. It's not about passenger comfort or safety it's about greed. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One of the decision factor in choosing my backpack was carry on luggage. The difference maybe where each person travels from. Coming from the US and going through Chicago I have lost or delayed luggage 1 in 4 times. Maybe if I had a direct flight it would be different. Returning home not such a big deal.

In June the International Air Transport Association (IATA), which represents members of the airline industry, put forth industry wide guidelines for cabin baggage on aircraft with 120 or more seats.
It is probably also worth reading the later press release here that IATA released on 17 Jun 15, ie nearly a month before the OP, stating that 'The International Air Transport Association (IATA) announced that it was pausing the rollout of its Cabin OK initiative and beginning a comprehensive reassessment in light of concerns expressed, primarily in North America.'

So perhaps all the scaremongering, windmill tilting and conspiracy theorising has been a bit pointless, at least for the time being.

Last edited:
It is probably also worth reading the later press release here that IATA released on 17 Jun 15, ie nearly a month before the OP, stating that 'The International Air Transport Association (IATA) announced that it was pausing the rollout of its Cabin OK initiative and beginning a comprehensive reassessment in light of concerns expressed, primarily in North America.'

So perhaps all the scaremongering, windmill tilting and conspiracy theorising has been a bit pointless, at least for the time being.

So the joke is on us and we must once again rely on dougfitz for providing the facts. Thanks to him for reminding us that we are wasting our time tilting at windmills. However, for my part, I am grateful that this thread has brought to the forefront in my mind the probability that I can not be totally in control of all the practical aspects of my pilgrimage. I really do/do not want to walk in faith, but I am beginning to get used to the idea.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The big 3 airlines are talking about it here in the states. It's a BS move by the airlines to gouge the air traveler for more money. Air carriers are making $/€/£ hand over fist and still want more. It's not about passenger comfort or safety it's about greed.

Yes - this exactly.

The big 3 airlines are talking about it here in the states. It's a BS move by the airlines to gouge the air traveler for more money. Air carriers are making $/€/£ hand over fist and still want more. It's not about passenger comfort or safety it's about greed. Buen Camino
Actually airlines in the US tend to file for bankruptcy on a too regular basis, that is one of the reasons that so many no longer exist, others have been consolidated and merged, and still others have retreated into regional service. The biggest airlines, over the long term, have had some of the worst financial performance, even if their stock prices tend to remain fairly strong. With fuel prices lower, some are temporarily doing pretty well, but overall, if you want to make a lot of money, operating an airline is not the business to get into.

Airlines are not charities. They may be making money right now, but give it a couple years and the opposite will be true. The main reason for this rule is people regularly try to carry on bags that are outside the rules. Unfortunately, no one in the U.S. consistently enforces the current rule. If they did, that would help. But for those of us that regularly travel by commercial air this great news. The only better news would be a rule that made passengers check the size of their bag as they went through security. Bag doesn't fit, you must return to your airline's ticket counter and check your bag.

but overall, if you want to make a lot of money, operating an airline is not the business to get into.
Attributed to Warren Buffett: "How to make a small fortune - make a large fortune and invest it in an airline".

The main reason for this rule is people regularly try to carry on bags that are outside the rules. Unfortunately, no one in the U.S. consistently enforces the current rule... The only better news would be a rule that made passengers check the size of their bag as they went through security. Bag doesn't fit, you must return to your airline's ticket counter and check your bag.
It's not just the US, same here. It would be fine if the existing airline rules were enforced, no point in new ones unless being IATA has some magic. Totally agree, have some system to make the offenders check in their oversize stuff. They'll kick and scream for a while, then accept it. Same thing happened when the budget airlines here enforced min 30 mins check in before domestic flights. Oh, the howls of anguish, the tales of woe. They soon learned.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The changes in the carry-on limits are fairly small - basically just enough to make people buy new luggage or check their bags - not enough to actually create room for more bags in the overheads. If the changes would result in space for additional bags, then I might get behind the change.

As a regular business traveler, I do not see this as great news. It means that I will have to buy new luggage and that there will be a lot more screwing around with gate checking luggage and delaying of flights.

The changes in the carry-on limits are fairly small
In an earlier post, I pointed out that IATA had 'paused' the proposal to introduce the change. I have checked their web side, and the proposal hasn't been resurrected. There are currently no changes being proposed!

Last edited:
As an infrequent flier, I still always wondered at those travellers who are in a rush to line up at the gate as soon as the flight is called, or line up even before the flight is called ... while I, on the other hand, would sit and relax until the very last. Then a thought occurred to me .... These people wanted to board the plane and get themselves installed before all the carry-on luggage storage space was filled up, so they wouldn't get caught having to check their carry-on bags at the gate ... as sometimes travellers are required to do. Didn't realize they were on to something.

As an infrequent flier, I still always wondered at those travellers who are in a rush to line up at the gate as soon as the flight is called, or line up even before the flight is called ... while I, on the other hand, would sit and relax until the very last. Then a thought occurred to me .... These people wanted to board the plane and get themselves installed before all the carry-on luggage storage space was filled up, so they wouldn't get caught having to check their carry-on bags at the gate ... as sometimes travellers are required to do. Didn't realize they were on to something.
One thing I do is join the free frequent flyer clubs for the airlines I regularly fly ... then I get 'priority' boarding :)

Joining the frequent flyer clubs often gives a free checked bag too.

The other trick is to get an airline credit card, lots of benefits come with those, even if the only time you use the card is when you book a flight on the airline.

I always recommend people join the airline frequent flyer clubs, even if you are only using that airline for 1 trip ... but make sure you join BEFORE you book the flight, you typically don't get any benefits if you join after you book your flight.

I got an airline card just so I could early board and not worry about carry on. Now the airline combined with my other card and am back to one. Plus it has a chip in it and hope to use in Spain. I am trying to get another card chipped as well.

I got an airline card just so I could early board and not worry about carry on. Now the airline combined with my other card and am back to one. Plus it has a chip in it and hope to use in Spain. I am trying to get another card chipped as well.
Both the American Airlines Mastercard and the United Airlines Visa cards are 'chipped' cards. United's card also does not upcharge for foreign transaction costs as some other cards do.

Check the small print, some cards, even chipped cards, charge you a small extra fee for foreign transaction. Find a card that doesn't upcharge you for foreign transactions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Plus it has a chip in it and hope to use in Spain.

But is it a Chip and PIN or Chip and Signature card? If it is Chip and Signature (as mine from United is), then it won't give you any benefit in Spain - you can still use it, of course, as you can use the non-chipped cards. The only difference is that you will stick your card in a slot on the machine as opposed to swiping the card. You still sign a receipt rather than entering a PIN.

I'm rethinking my decision to carry on my backpack. Some have mentioned a laundry bag to carry your backpack and poles. Could someone who does this give more details. How do secure the bag to make sure your poles don't fall out and get lost. I thought the baggage handlers need something to hold onto to move them.

@ricitosdeplata I buy a cheap woven plastic carry bag from a $2 store - the sort with a zip at the top and carry handles. Put the pack and poles inside. Makes it very easy to spot on the luggage carousel! Throw it away when I get to Spain. Shopping-Bag-With-Zipper.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd like to see regulations that disallow any cabin baggage other than items reasonably needed on the flight and shiny items too valuable to let out of your sight. All that baggage slows down loading of the plane increasing the prospect of late arrival and is an inconvenience to others.

@Kanga thanks. I'm going to be in Seville for 2 nights so if my backpack gets lost I might get it while I'm there. If it takes longer, ill just stay in Seville longer. It's a hardship but I'd make the sacrifice. Wink,wink.

@ricitosdeplata, you have not mentioned the reason for rethinking taking your pack as carry on, but do what works best for you. I bought my pack as carry on, and put my poles, Opinel knife and other bits in a cardboard tube and sent that in the hold as my one piece of checked luggage. On arrival, my cardboard tube did not come through the carousel with the regular luggage; I picked it up in another area marked, of all things, "Oversize Items." Hope all works out for you. Buen Csmino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not taking on poles on board for one reason; British Airways is adamant about no poles in carry-ons and because I do not wish to check anything, I am purchasing my poles in St. Jean. I did purchase a drawstring laundry sack for my pack, but then realized after the fact, I have a built-in rain protector for my back-pack, so will wrap it that way. Much easier….

Kanga great idea for the bag, but…throw it away or give it away? :>)
Some one else mentioned the IKEA bag its in theFrakta range. I bought one to put my rucksack (now paniers) in. It has lots of room and zipzs up and has straps on the bag so you can carry it on your back. It weighs 6 oz and costs $2.98. Worth taking a look.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Quite right @movinmaggie - recycle it. If you can find a willing recipient. I admit to abandoning mine at the airport. After a 24 hour flight my brain is like sludge and ethics not my strongest characteristic. Next time I'll take it to my hotel and give it away.

For those who have complained about storing bags in the overhead compartments... From a longtime pilot for a major airline know that there are AT TIMES very good reasons that normal looking people put the bags overhead row 12 and saunter to row 33.

BTW you don't own the bin space above your head.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
1. Deadhead crew
2. Commuting crew
3. Other employees

Then you have all the security staff federal, state or local who have reasons for putting bags in overhead bins that may not be the row they are sitting in.

Airline people can be asked by gate or cabin crew to put our bags in specific areas for quite a few reasons depending on the load, whether there are groups on board, etc etc etc.
For instance.... I may be traveling on a flight that carries many connecting pax from Hawaii. Known fact they carry tons of bags per person, so I may be asked to sit in aisle seat in row 30 near the Hawaiian vacationers but to stow my bags elsewhere. So I do. If I am in civilian clothes, I look like that person being railed against, but I owe no one an explanation since overhead space is not owned by any one person.

I was on a domestic flight from Chicago to Denver recently, and a girls' softball team boarded carrying all sorts of large duffel bags and equipment bags, none of which would fit within the current standard size limit.

Doesn't have to if they were sold tickets as a group or team. Fall unde different rules. Sorry.

This may be old news by now, but it seems to have come up again. I checked with my airline, British Airways. They made changes to the hand luggage last month; Aug 11. IF a ticket was purchased before that date (as mine was) and you were within the allowance at that time (which mine was), they will honour it. Here is their quote:

'The new dimensions for the handbag/laptop bag apply to all flights from 18 August 2015. If you purchased your flight before this date and your hand baggage is within the dimensions stated at the time of purchase please let our staff at check-in know and we will honour this.'
Allowance stated: handbag/laptop 40cm x 30cm x 15cm (16in x 12in x 6in) and additional cabin bag 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in). Both bags can weigh up to 23kgs (51 lbs) each.

What is difficult to fathom is is how a bag 16in x 12in x 6 in and another bag 22in x 18in x 10in could possibly weigh 102lbs total!
Did I miss something?

When weight and balance calculations are run for each flight your governing agency allows BA to avoid weighing carry on luggage by assuming a certain conservative weight for each - 102 pounds in this case. So if there are 200 people checked in for a flight dispatch calculates the standard weight of a pax plus std carry on x 200. The weight limitation has very little to do with what an avg pax would actually have. A non std pax such as sports team member with duffel bag or military person with gear or LEO with gun cases will be carrying on luggage that won't meet dimensions but will still fall below the weight limitation. That is why the number is so high.

When weight and balance calculations are run for each flight your governing agency allows BA to avoid weighing carry on luggage by assuming a certain conservative weight for each - 102 pounds in this case. So if there are 200 people checked in for a flight dispatch calculates the standard weight of a pax plus std carry on x 200. The weight limitation has very little to do with what an avg pax would actually have. A non std pax such as sports team member with duffel bag or military person with gear or LEO with gun cases will be carrying on luggage that won't meet dimensions but will still fall below the weight limitation. That is why the number is so high.
Very interesting and very helpful….many thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This response received this morning from IATA

Hello Maggie,
Thank you for your inquiry. Kindly note that the Cabin Ok initiative has been indefinitely suspended, however the size is still acceptable on airlines as carry-on.
Regards

Miriam ASHONG
Assistant Corporate Communications
Tel +41 22 770 2967 | Fax +41 22 770 2641

www.iata.org

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back