• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why do YOU Keep Coming to This Forum ?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I think this Forum needs a Government Health Warning!

Ivar......it's highly addictive :eek:

So why do YOU keep coming back?

For me I think it's:

1. Being able to chat about the Camino without 'boring the pants off' friends and family.
  2. Staying 'engaged' with those like minded souls who 'get' the Camino.
  3. Helping me maintain my inner Camino 'spirit' beyond my walk.
  4. Sharing in the joy of others making their own Caminos.
  5. Maybe being able to 'give back' a little advice and support, even though I have only walked one Camino (so far)
What about you? :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In 25 days I shall be leaving for my camino and frankly I know I would be better off studying my Spanish rather than spending so much time on the forum. I have to admit that it is in large part intellectual laziness that keeps me coming back to the camino forum. It is so much more entertaining than studying Spanish.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 25 days I shall be leaving for my camino and frankly I know I would be better off studying my Spanish rather than spending so much time on the forum. I have to admit that it is in large part intellectual laziness that keeps me coming back to the camino forum. It is so much more entertaining than studying Spanish.

Okay, I have to admit, that one hit home for me too!

Same happened to me :oops:

Good News..........?

The Voice Translator App is great :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

For me I think it's:

1. Being able to chat about the Camino without 'boring the pants off' friends and family.
  5. Maybe being able to 'give back' a little advice and support, even though I have only walked one Camino (so far)
Great pointers indeed. Thank you.
To me...Not 'addictive' - inspiring. resonating... yes. (but "addictive" to me implies something i have relinquished 'control' over - and that's not a route i'd would choose)
regardless - I keep coming back like some yet undiscovered 'comet' - orbiting around all things camino and forum related. - and as DeadFred said: I've made friends here. For which too I am very grateful. One of the gift of the camino ... that keeps giving.
It's a resonance with a deep 'inner' experience where there is little reflections of in the world around 'off camino'. On the forum kindred spirits meet and keep meeting. There a shared values that go beyond the camino's outer path.
plus - I've benefitted from freely shared advice, the good humour and shared experience before my camino - so would it not behoove me to share the bits and bobs when asked (and when not asked :) ) about recommendations, experiences, simple pointers perhaps?
it's a sort of 'tribe gathering' in cyberspace (usually very well behaved, thankfully), a gathering that often spills into the time/space reality of this world. Which is another camino-treat... off the camino :)
Thanks again for asking ....

Last edited:
Maybe because, in some small way, it brings this aspect of the Camino back to me, though the author had nothing to do with the Way…

“To feel the intimacy of brothers is a marvellous thing in life. To feel the love of people whom we love is a fire that feeds our life. But to feel the affection that come from those whom we do not know, from those unknown to us, who are watching over our sleep and solitude, over our dangers and our weaknesses---that is something still greater and more beautiful because it widens out the boundaries of our being, and unites all living things.(Pablo Neruda)

The underlining is my addition. This insight was a gift to me from the post of September 2, 2015 at a site which my sisters turned me on to: http://shirtofflame.blogspot.com/ If you are interested, you can get the backstory there.

B

Maybe because, in some small way, it brings this aspect of the Camino back to me, though the author had nothing to do with the Way…

“To feel the intimacy of brothers is a marvellous thing in life. To feel the love of people whom we love is a fire that feeds our life. But to feel the affection that come from those whom we do not know, from those unknown to us, who are watching over our sleep and solitude, over our dangers and our weaknesses---that is something still greater and more beautiful because it widens out the boundaries of our being, and unites all living things.(Pablo Neruda)

The underlining is my addition. This insight was a gift to me from the post of September 2, 2015 at a site which my sisters turned me on to: http://shirtofflame.blogspot.com/ If you are interested, you can get the backstory there.

B
great neruda quote.
spot-on.
thanks for sharing....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

For me I think it's:

All of the above Robo plus 'learning' about other Caminos.

All of the above, and then some.

At first it was because of the wealth of information. I was clueless about such things as backpacks, hiking shoes/boots, fleece ..... and I could just read, read, read, read, until I felt confident enough to at least ask some intelligent questions.

Now, with my first camino still ahead of me and most of what I need purchased, I find myself gravitating more toward the "subjective" threads, -- how do I define pilgrimage and why *do* I want to do this so much. And what do others think?

And that brings me to the biggest draw. This forum is a rare place where many various, often conflicting, viewpoints can be expressed, and the conversation remains intelligent and civil (for the most part :eek:). Many thanks to Ivar and the great group of moderators. That's a much appreciated gift.

And, finally, how else would I know I'm not alone in finding the forum so much more entertaining than studying my Spanish, heheh... Glad to know the Voice Translator app works well ;) . I will need it!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dare I say, sometimes it can be an escape coming on here? The world news are hardly a laugh a minute and there are also some private tragedies in our lives... Which we have no control over...
Sometimes (for me anyway) it is just nice to read about someone's hopes and tales ....of something that at least make sense to me? That I can relate to?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back