• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim arrival statistics - August 2015

fraluchi

RIP 2019
Time of past OR future Camino
One every year since 2007
Pilgrim arrivals registered at the Oficina de Peregrinos in Santiago during August 2015 were 54’795. Those numbers represent a 7% increase compared to the arrivals in August 2014 (51’219).

33’759 Pilgrims walked the Camino Francés during August (65% of all arrivals), 220 less than those during the same month in 2014. However, 1’474 more pilgrims than in August 2014 (+ 11%) started from Sarria. This shift of ever more pilgrims starting from Sarria keeps increasing. In fact, year-to-date Sarria walker increases, compared to previous years, were 40% (2015), 37% (2014), 35% (2013) and 31% (2012).

The year-to-date pilgrim arrivals increases from Caminos other than the Francés are outpacing the latter’s trend (+6%): Portugués +22%, Primitivo +40%, Inglés +29%, Norte +11%, VdlP +8%

There is only a marginal change in pilgrims who started from SJPP/Roncesvalles/Pamplona: 28’615 this year, 28’040 during 2014. (+2%)

Looking ahead: September has traditionally shown arrival figures similar to those of June. If this trend continues this year, some 36’000 pilgrims could be expected, of whom about 70% walked the Francés. The numbers starting from O’Cebreiro and Sarria should “cool down” marginally to July levels, but will still be substantial: about 1/3 of all arrivals in Santiago. We’ll see!?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@fraluchi , can you get your hands on the number starting IN SJPP, to compare those to arrivals and fet a sense of numbers of people who do it in bits? As for the increase from Sarria, lazy buggers on a quest for a certificate

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've never seen good quality figures for the numbers leaving SJPP, only the number of pilgrims arriving in SdC who started in SJPP. Two very different things, and as Fraluchi says, it's not possible to separate out those arrivals who did it in stages.

@fraluchi , can you get your hands on the number starting IN SJPP, to compare those to arrivals and fet a sense of numbers of people who do it in bits? As for the increase from Sarria, lazy buggers on a quest for a certificate

Hi Anemore,
Were you a lazy bugger in 2013 ?
It seems you took 7 years and 3 sections , was the last one from Sarria?
Don't be toooo hard on those "certificate for the wall" seekers mate.

Hi Anemore,
Were you a lazy bugger in 2013 ?
It seems you took 7 years and 3 sections , was the last one from Sarria?
Don't be toooo hard on those "certificate for the wall" seekers mate.
No sense of humour? And no, CF in 3 chunks, because work actually calls, and I can only walk for 15 days or so at a time depending on flight availability. Actually, the fist time I had no intention of ever finishing or going back. And never started from Saria: SJPP, Leon and the 3rd time Burgos. Funny, that last time I even walked a section I had aleready walked: just imagine, all these extra km! What was I thunking of.
Should just have done 5 starts from Sarria and call it a day. A transaltlantic flight for 4 days is jist not worth it. In 2014 I set twice actaully, in the fall to walk the Norte from San Sebatian to LLanes. This spring The Primitivo. Never walked unde 300km on each trip. Sorry!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No sense of humour? And no, CF in 3 chunks, because work actually calls, and I can only walk for 15 days or so at a time depending on flight availability. Actually, the fist time I had no intention of ever finishing or going back. And never started from Saria: SJPP, Leon and the 3rd time Burgos. Funny, that last time I even walked a section I had aleready walked: just imagine, all these extra km! What was I thunking of.
Should just have done 5 starts from Sarria and call it a day. A transaltlantic flight for 4 days is jist not worth it. In 2014 I set twice actaully, in the fall to walk the Norte from San Sebatian to LLanes. This spring The Primitivo. Never walked unde 300km on each trip. Sorry!

Keep that humour , it is obvious you enjoy more than the certificate.
If we lived that close 2 caminos [ walks ] a year as retirement was many years ago Anemone.
This year we went from Moissac ------ STJPdP ----- Burgos , 3rd time in each of this towns , no more but we enjoyed the accommodation knowing this was the last time .
The Norte we will do again and this time join the Primitivo and Salamanca beckons.

RULE ONE: Everyone walks their OWN Camino. It is not for me (or you) to judge the worthiness of the distance walked.

However, I do I do recall feeling the exact same way as the OP on my first Camino; about all the fresh energetic faces, wearing sparkling new kit, with CLEAN SHOES and clothing, walking four and five abreast, engaged in loud animated conversation, tossing snack trash and cigarette butts onto the path, and playing audible music (and even a football match) from open speakers on the section after Sarria.

Frankly, the contrast between those of use who had been on the path since SJPdP, a month earlier, could not be more dramatic. By the time we reached Sarria, we longer-distance pilgrims mostly had one physical malady or another, our clothing tended towards sweat, soil and stains, as did our footwear and all exterior gear. We mostly had a weary appearance and looked worse for wear.

As we tried to pass the "pedestrian pelotons" of folks who started in Sarria to walk the minimum distance prescribed by the Church to attain the Compostela, some folks would enquire as to where or when we started we started. When we replied simply "Francia," the conversation quickly and quietly ended. We would simply wish them Buen Camino, uttered "perdon," a half-dozen or so times to maneuver through the group blocking the path and pressed forward, onward toward Santiago de Compostela.

Then, once at Santiago, I met several pilgrims who had made the journey from Sarria in wheelchairs, canes, crutches; and one fellow who walked following a serious stroke that left his right side largely paralyzed. THAT is the moment that I permanently reinforced RULE ONE in my brain. Since then, and even through two tours as an Amigo and Voluntario at the Pilgrim Office, have I ceased to pay any mind towards how far someone walked to attain the Compostela. Each to his or her own capabilities and conscience...

This said, while working at the Pilgrim Office this year, I informally noted that there seemed to be an inverse relationship between the distance walked and surliness when on the queue or during the entire process. Somedays, it occurred to me that those who had walked the shortest distance were the most impatient, noisy, surly, demanding and just plain loutish.

Conversely, it appeared to me that those who had walked longer distances seemed to be the most understanding, tolerant, patient and agreeable, in general.

Perhaps there is something in a longer, walking Camino that humanizes pilgrims? Who knows? Not me.

I hope this helps.

RULE ONE: Everyone walks their OWN Camino. It is not for me (or you) to judge the worthiness of the distance walked.

However, I do I do recall feeling the exact same way as the OP on my first Camino; about all the fresh energetic faces, wearing sparkling new kit, with CLEAN SHOES and clothing, walking four and five abreast, engaged in loud animated conversation, tossing snack trash and cigarette butts onto the path, and playing audible music (and even a football match) from open speakers on the section after Sarria.

Frankly, the contrast between those of use who had been on the path since SJPdP, a month earlier, could not be more dramatic. By the time we reached Sarria, we longer-distance pilgrims mostly had one physical malady or another, our clothing tended towards sweat, soil and stains, as did our footwear and all exterior gear. We mostly had a weary appearance and looked worse for wear.

As we tried to pass the "pedestrian pelotons" of folks who started in Sarria to walk the minimum distance prescribed by the Church to attain the Compostela, some folks would enquire as to where or when we started we started. When we replied simply "Francia," the conversation quickly and quietly ended. We would simply wish them Buen Camino, uttered "perdon," a half-dozen or so times to maneuver through the group blocking the path and pressed forward, onward toward Santiago de Compostela.

Then, once at Santiago, I met several pilgrims who had made the journey from Sarria in wheelchairs, canes, crutches; and one fellow who walked following a serious stroke that left his right side largely paralyzed. THAT is the moment that I permanently reinforced RULE ONE in my brain. Since then, and even through two tours as an Amigo and Voluntario at the Pilgrim Office, have I ceased to pay any mind towards how far someone walked to attain the Compostela. Each to his or her own capabilities and conscience...

This said, while working at the Pilgrim Office this year, I informally noted that there seemed to be an inverse relationship between the distance walked and surliness when on the queue or during the entire process. Somedays, it occurred to me that those who had walked the shortest distance were the most impatient, noisy, surly, demanding and just plain loutish.

Conversely, it appeared to me that those who had walked longer distances seemed to be the most understanding, tolerant, patient and agreeable, in general. Then, again, there were the cyclists...

I prefer not to start on that subject, beyond suggesting that they ought to go to a different place to get their certificates. In my experience over two years, they tend to disturb the entire flow, balance, and relativity tranquility at the office. Perhaps this will change for the better when the Pilgrim Office moves to Ruá das Carretas #33 in the coming months...

Perhaps there is something in a longer, walking Camino that humanizes pilgrims? Who knows? Not me.

I hope this helps.

Wonderfully said

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re: Rule one post above and patience in compostela line from longer distance hikers.... We waited days and weeks to get there and, at least in my case, maybe desperately in need of a nap!

Re: Rule one post above and patience in compostela line from longer distance hikers.... We waited days and weeks to get there and, at least in my case, maybe desperately in need of a nap!

Have no idea what you meant by your comments Jetgirl

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pilgrim arrivals registered at the Oficina de Peregrinos in Santiago during August 2015 were 54’795. Those numbers represent a 7% increase compared to the arrivals in August 2014 (51’219).

33’759 Pilgrims walked the Camino Francés during August (65% of all arrivals), 220 less than those during the same month in 2014. However, 1’474 more pilgrims than in August 2014 (+ 11%) started from Sarria. This shift of ever more pilgrims starting from Sarria keeps increasing. In fact, year-to-date Sarria walker increases, compared to previous years, were 40% (2015), 37% (2014), 35% (2013) and 31% (2012).

The year-to-date pilgrim arrivals increases from Caminos other than the Francés are outpacing the latter’s trend (+6%): Portugués +22%, Primitivo +40%, Inglés +29%, Norte +11%, VdlP +8%

There is only a marginal change in pilgrims who started from SJPP/Roncesvalles/Pamplona: 28’615 this year, 28’040 during 2014. (+2%)

Looking ahead: September has traditionally shown arrival figures similar to those of June. If this trend continues this year, some 36’000 pilgrims could be expected, of whom about 70% walked the Francés. The numbers starting from O’Cebreiro and Sarria should “cool down” marginally to July levels, but will still be substantial: about 1/3 of all arrivals in Santiago. We’ll see!?
Count me in as one of the September/October Camino Frances pilgrims. In three weeks I'll be on my way.

A separate line? While I might agree with the behaviour I have witnessed on the last 100km from Melide that irks me even I had not come up with this "solution". Perhaps their compostela should only be printed in black & white

[QUOTE="Thornley, post: 339566, member: 3306"]Have no idea what you meant by your comments Jetgirl[/QUOTE]

Previous poster says "Conversely....those who had walked the longer distances seemed to be ..most patient..." and I responded with my explanation that it had taken days and weeks to get to Santiago (which requires significant patience) plus I was desperately in need of sleep so again being docile and patient in the pilgrim office wasn't particularly hard.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do you know what? Last year the cleanagrenos fromc Sarria made me feel bad when we arrived there with their clean faces and new kit and I commented upon it on this forum, but this year other things call, including work and the best we can fit in is a Sarria start, so be careful what you say, you may end up eating your own words.
Ps StJean number 3 on the cards for next August September.

Any idea how many started in LePuy and made it to Ronchesvalles?

I would remind that my comments are entirely based upon public information obtained from the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago de Compostela.
To my knowledge there are no other intermediate offices along the Caminos which keep such exhaustive recordings. :cool:
I believe that there is a Pilgrims' Office in SJPP which somehow records pilgrim movements.o_O

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Do you know what? Last year the cleanagrenos fromc Sarria made me feel bad when we arrived there with their clean faces and new kit and I commented upon it on this forum, but this year other things call ...."

Rector,

When I left Sarría last year, I was grateful for the day 1 energy of my new compadres - they had scoped out the way out of town the previous day so I didn't have to lift a finger to navigate! Plus they had such non Camino stories to tell - no blisters, no gear talk, no knee pain - it was kind of surreal . We walked 10 k together but then I needed my Union break and they were anxious to keep going.

It was a revelation that I had lost a bit of my "beginner's mind" in the weeks of walking.

I too will be scaling back and walking only 100 ish miles per year the next few years as life's gotten a bit more complicated.

Any idea how many started in LePuy and made it to Ronchesvalles?
Hi all,
Interesting thread. Some of you might find these photos interesting (you'll have to zoom in to see the info); I took them in early August 2014 in the pilgrims' office in SJPP. These are all the people who register at the office (most pilgrims, I would say). Keep in mind that many of these have come from various French routes as well, may be finishing there or they might be starting their camino. People on the French routes generally do the routes in sections sometimes over years. It all makes it pretty hard to gauge how many of us are coming through. I was happy to see that Aussies are in the top 10 (not so on the route from Le Puy, where we are still a special dish!
(For those who can't guess: 'passages mensuels' indicates how many people are passing through each month)

IMG_3432.JPGIMG_3433.JPG

Great stats! I love speculating about the people who were the only ones from their country. What called them there? How did they hear of it? What did their friends and families think?

Some people find statistics boring, but I think they open up a fascinating world. I'm so looking forward to meeting people from all over the world when I get on the Camino myself.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,
Interesting thread. Some of you might find these photos interesting (you'll have to zoom in to see the info); I took them in early August 2014 in the pilgrims' office in SJPP. These are all the people who register at the office (most pilgrims, I would say). Keep in mind that many of these have come from various French routes as well, may be finishing there or they might be starting their camino. People on the French routes generally do the routes in sections sometimes over years. It all makes it pretty hard to gauge how many of us are coming through. I was happy to see that Aussies are in the top 10 (not so on the route from Le Puy, where we are still a special dish!
(For those who can't guess: 'passages mensuels' indicates how many people are passing through each month)...

Thank you for sharing! I know I saw number and charts like these somewhere on the forum in the past, but couldn't find them for the life of me! I find it so interesting that the numbers peak in May then dip down again. I often assumed it rose after May and dipped down again after September, as the pilgrim office stats suggest. Makes sense why my May 2013 Camino seemed so busy... definitely going to do either a March/April Camino or October/November one next time. So exhausted by the crowds.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm one of the August 2015 arrivals.

And it pains me to admit it, I walked from SJPP and my camino took a serious downturn after Sarria as I was frequently woken by incredibly rude new pilgrims who would turn lights on in dorms and set multiple alarms and hit snooze over and over, shout and laugh until 1am. Walking in a long line of people just completely changed my internal and external camino. I felt absolutely nothing arriving into Santiago but luckily had my 'arrival' in O Cebreiro which was above the clouds and utterly mystical and beautiful and obviously a much harder climb with a sense of achievement at the top.

I just races into Santiago to get finished with the crowds, the walk was still enjoyable but the feeling of the walk, despite gorgeous Galicia, simply changed and for me, for the worse. I tried but failed not to judge or become irritated with Sarria pilgrims. :/

And it pains me to admit it, I walked from SJPP and my camino took a serious downturn after Sarria as I was frequently woken by incredibly rude new pilgrims who would turn lights on in dorms and set multiple alarms and hit snooze over and over, shout and laugh until 1am. Walking in a long line of people just completely changed my internal and external camino. I felt absolutely nothing arriving into Santiago but luckily had my 'arrival' in O Cebreiro which was above the clouds and utterly mystical and beautiful and obviously a much harder climb with a sense of achievement at the top.

I just races into Santiago to get finished with the crowds, the walk was still enjoyable but the feeling of the walk, despite gorgeous Galicia, simply changed and for me, for the worse. I tried but failed not to judge or become irritated with Sarria pilgrims. :/

Unfortunately this will continue Sarah and only get worse unless the Compostela is gained by 200 or 300km.
Is the Compostela **vital now in any CV for the young spanish????
We were told this in Madrid and if so could explain many aspects of the Sarria debacle.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am a Canadian and one of you had asked why some of us come from so far away what calls us Well the first thing if you are Christian you know that some times God speaks to you and asks you to do something and you don't always know why.. well that is how it was for me I never heard of the Camino but about 5 years ago I had a dream of my self standing on a stage singing with my hands lifted up to God in worship I was wearing a coral colored dress that I had when I was about thirty and came to Christ In the dream Jesus came and stood in front of me he was huge and he put his hand under my feet and lifted me up in the palm of his hand and when I opened my eyes and saw where I was I got on my face and knees and He cupped his other hand and covered me with it . Then he started to shake his hands with me in the middle of them like you would shake dice; he shook me for what seemed a very long time ; then he took his hand a way, as he did I stood to my feet on his hand totally the same as I was before the shaking not a hair had moved, Then a much bigger hand than the whole body of Jesus came down beside him and ,,,,it was white as white, palm up ward and open with the fingers spread like giant white roads and like it was demanding that I come to it ... the arm was like a huge road leading up toward the shoulder and you couldn't see far enough up to see where it ended just that one side of it was so white it was alumnus and hard to look at and the other side of the arm was black with thunder and lightening coming from it and some people walking up the arm were falling off into the the blackness But others who were reaching the top of the arm were disappearing into the white I was puzzled over the dream a long time as it was an odd dream and I wasn't sure if I ate something that didn't agree with me or if God was trying to tell me something a few years before this I had an other dream that had stuck in my head also and I was reminded of it from time to time,,, it was of my oldest son and I walking up a wooden path way that was like very long wide steps up the side of a mountain it was evening we were almost to the top when I noticed the steep drop on the one side and called to my son to be careful as it scared me Just a head of us at the top of the path there was a turn onto a platform area and then a door that was open enough for the light on the other side to come through. it was open about 6 or 8 inches I was worried that we had get to it before it closed I then called to my son to be care full as I was worried about him falling over the edge of the path and he laughed and turned and came skipping down toward me there were no railings or anything on the path as he got to me he reached out his hand to me he said come on mom I will help you as we walked up the path to the door the dream ended abt. 4 years ago I went to my younger son's home to baby sit one night; they only have net flicks and the only thing on it was a movie call The Way that looked of any interest so I watched it ;after watching it I thought I would like to do that and later I told an old friend about the movie and said I wouldn't mind trying that, she said why not? I said it isn't possible I haven't any money, I am full of arthritis, plus my health is not good, plus my age plus ,plus, plus but she said she had enough air miles for both of us to go and told me you just need to save what you need and research it for us and we will set a date and work toward it and both go So I started to research the Camino for the first time and came across some interesting information one being the beliefs about the Scallop shell the ribs on it being like the roads from all over Europe leading to to Santiago and Also the Scallop shell being like the hand of God and the ribs on it like all the fingers of God bring people from all walks of life to himself ... reading this I was reminded of my dream and wondered if this is what God was trying to tell me all along I was sure if I did this my oldest son was to come with me not my friend but I wasn't sure why Then in January of last year nine months before my friend and I were to leave for Spain she found out she had cancer and 9 months later on the 5th of Oct of last year she passed away .. we had planed to go last Sept but had sat and watched the movie again at her house I had a hard time not to cry as I felt an over whelming sadness she laughed at me ; a couple of weeks later she was gone . I told my oldest son when I knew she had Cancer I still felt I was to go but didn't want to tell her because I didn't want to upset her but I would need some time to save for the flight and if he wants to come with me I would like him too and he said okay mom I'll go with you .. So that is why I came on the Camino and laid my burdens down at the cross a long with a picture of my friend at the Ends of the Earth in Finisterre And for those who walk every step I admire you and wished I could do that too I only did 147k it took all I had in me to do that much We walked the 116 from Sarria to Santiago and the 31 from Finisterre to Muxia ... ..To me the Camino represents our path through life , our attitude towards our self and others it is about our heart not about bringing a measuring stick for other people and punishing them because we don't think they measure up Stop watching others and find out what God wants from you because if you are watching some one else you maybe hurting your own walk I I think we should just be grateful we got to walk it at all short or long ... I was walking over a bridge here in Victoria and 4 people walked past me I was surprised to see they all where wearing the same sandals on their feet I started to laugh as I realized I too had the same sandals on my feet, as they did and I was so busy paying attention to them walking I tripped and I went flying I hit the deck really hard and landed on the steal mesh on the bridge, my one leg was all cut up and the other one felt like I fractured my knee.... and could hardly walk for some time ...So the lesson I learned was watch where I am walking and not to be so concerned about what others are or are not doing or wearing it is not important and not my business

Just out of curiosity, how young are you? Your son? I have made my mom an offer to do the last 111 km from Sarria into Santiago. She is 82, has a replacement knee, and seem to always be complaining of one joint affliction or another. Yes, I know this comes with the territory as one ages. I am 62 and have chronic knee problems, plus other conditions. Despite her perceived condition, mom walks faster than me on level ground.

I had my personal conversation moment while on my first Camino in 2013. On a drizzly, windy day in early May, while walking across a level section after Los Arcos, I heard a voice. The voice was not audible to my ears. It seemed at the time that my entire body was hearing, feeling, sensing the words. There were only three words, but they penetrated deep. All I heard was: "We are pleased..." I heard it one time only. I was walking alone and not talking to myself. There was no one within eyesight. So, as a believer, that left me with one plausible explanation...

Having done several Caminos, I feel I can make the Sarria - Santiago route as comfortable and painless for mom as can be done. When she feels she is up to it, we will make the stroll together. It is one time that using daily baggage transport makes sense. I know she wants to do it. It is just a matter of when.

Thanks for sharing your story. It is compelling.

Just out of curiosity, how young are you? Your son? I have made my mom an offer to do the last 111 km from Sarria into Santiago. She is 82, has a replacement knee, and seem to always be complaining of one joint affliction or another. Yes, I know this comes with the territory as one ages. I am 62 and have chronic knee problems, plus other conditions. Despite her perceived condition, mom walks faster than me on level ground.

I had my personal conversation moment while on my first Camino in 2013. On a drizzly, windy day in early May, while walking across a level section after Los Arcos, I heard a voice. The voice was not audible to my ears. It seemed at the time that my entire body was hearing, feeling, sensing the words. There were only three words, but they penetrated deep. All I heard was: "We are pleased..." I heard it one time only. I was walking alone and not talking to myself. There was no one within eyesight. So, as a believer, that left me with one plausible explanation...

Having done several Caminos, I feel I can make the Sarria - Santiago route as comfortable and painless for mom as can be done. When she feels she is up to it, we will make the stroll together. It is one time that using daily baggage transport makes sense. I know she wants to do it. It is just a matter of when.

Thanks for sharing your story. It is compelling.

You are very welcome .. I am glad to here you are a fellow believer and you understand what I am saying about God telling me to come to the Camino Also I think it is awesome your mom at the age of 82 wants to do it with you, ... I am not sure that age is as much a factor on walking the Camino as a persons physical and mental strength is,,,, But I would make sure she gets a good check up with the doctor first ... I am 68 and will be 69 shortly My son is 43 he unlike me is in good shape and strong thank the Lord ; I have RA, spinal myelopathy , no cartaledge in either of my knees and was told sometime ago I needed knee replacements but haven't done it .. surprisingly they seem to be a lot better once I went off all the arthritis meds. I also have Kidney impairment, this can make me tired to the extreme and I have other health issues all combined it can make it hard to any thing .. For ten years I used a walker to help me get around but two years ago I bought some walking poles and with some help from a friend I managed to do more walking but still only for short distances ,,On the Camino I wore a leg brace, ankle / foot brace, wrist braces and a neck brace, and my walking poles and I pulled my back pack in a cart instead of carrying it, I would love to have done more on the Camino but I did what was my limit and what I thought God was telling me even though it looked impossible, I enjoyed every minute ; maybe it was mostly because it gave me some time with my son; When I left my Kidney doctor was concerned as my kidneys were not doing well and had dropped a lot but when I got home my doctors were shocked as my kidneys had improved big time I do hope you and your mom have as Wonderful a Camino as I and my son did I am sure it will be a real blessing to the both of you God Bless both of you

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
......... I have made my mom an offer to do the last 111 km from Sarria into Santiago. She is 82, has a replacement knee, and seem to always be complaining of one joint affliction or another. Yes, I know this comes with the territory as one ages. I am 62 and have chronic knee problems, plus other conditions. Despite her perceived condition, mom walks faster than me on level ground. ............
When we were walking 3 years ago there was a lovely Canadian lady, aged over 80, who said she walks each year from Sarria to Santiago. Shortest day 2kms, longest day 8kms because of distance to accomodation. She used private accomodation and presumably bag transport and took about 5 weeks to cover the distance others do in 5 days. She said it 'kept her in touch with the Camino'. At the same time there was a 90 year old lady on the Camino. Your Mum would be in good company.
I don't think there is a category for over 80 year olds in the statistics, but it would make interesting reading.
Best wishes to you both and Buen camino

I was also one of those August arrivals and I can understand your angst. The final 100 km can be quite a different for every pilgrim, some revel in the newly found companionship and sharing their mature experience with newly minted pilgrims while others abhor the crowds of the "incredibly rude new pilgrims".
I began my Camino in Oloron-Ste. Marie late in May and was very pleased to walk for weeks all alone on the Camino Aragones. I worked as a hospitalero at San Anton during July and then returned to walk from Burgos with friends I met last year. I left them in Astorga and took the train to Ferrol so I could begin to walk again on a peaceful, less crowded Camino Ingles to Santiago.
Granted we all don't have the freedom like I have to walk for months on end, but we do have the freedom to choose our Camino as the "road less traveled" if that is what we are seeking.
The mini-Camino from Sarria will probably never change and the statistic point to its continued popularity and growth.

You are very welcome .. I am glad to here you are a fellow believer and you understand what I am saying about God telling me to come to the Camino Also I think it is awesome your mom at the age of 82 wants to do it with you, ... I am not sure that age is as much a factor on walking the Camino as a persons physical and mental strength is,,,, But I would make sure she gets a good check up with the doctor first ... I am 68 and will be 69 shortly My son is 43 he unlike me is in good shape and strong thank the Lord ; I have RA, spinal myelopathy , no cartaledge in either of my knees and was told sometime ago I needed knee replacements but haven't done it .. surprisingly they seem to be a lot better once I went off all the arthritis meds. I also have Kidney impairment, this can make me tired to the extreme and I have other health issues all combined it can make it hard to any thing .. For ten years I used a walker to help me get around but two years ago I bought some walking poles and with some help from a friend I managed to do more walking but still only for short distances ,,On the Camino I wore a leg brace, ankle / foot brace, wrist braces and a neck brace, and my walking poles and I pulled my back pack in a cart instead of carrying it, I would love to have done more on the Camino but I did what was my limit and what I thought God was telling me even though it looked impossible, I enjoyed every minute ; maybe it was mostly because it gave me some time with my son; When I left my Kidney doctor was concerned as my kidneys were not doing well and had dropped a lot but when I got home my doctors were shocked as my kidneys had improved big time I do hope you and your mom have as Wonderful a Camino as I and my son did I am sure it will be a real blessing to the both of you God Bless both of you

Buen Camino

Georgina - I am awed by your perseverance and spunk! Good for you! I admire you. Bless your son for being so thoughtful and helpful to help you realize this accomplishment!

My menisci are also nearly gone from being trimmed (both knees, both sides) from several decades of being morbidly obese. Having lost 45 Kg 20 years ago, I am maintain my weight at "big boy" level. I always walk with poles too, as I know they can transfer up to 25 percent of the rucksack weight to your arms instead of your knees. Also, they were a HUGE help on the downhill sections. Still, I have knee pain when I walk a Camino with a rucksack. But I stubbornly decline to use mochila transport services.

I used elastic knee braces for my three Caminos. However this past April, I started taking a nutritional supplement, despite my doctor telling me there were no definitive medical tests establishing its effectiveness. I take Glucosamine with Chondroitin. While it might not work for others, it seems to work for me. About one month after starting to take this daily supplement, all discomfort from my knees stopped. I also stopped having shoulder and wrist pain (inherited arthritis). My doctor just shrugs his shoulders and says, if it does not harm you medically, go ahead and continue to use it.

When I worked in Santiago this past July and August as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office, my daily duties involved being on my feet for six or more hours, seven days a week, working the queues and helping out wherever and however needed. Throughout the entire month and afterwards, I had no pain, swelling or discomfort. My logical conclusion is that the Glucosamine and Chondroitin works - for me. So, until one doctor or another says to stop using it, I shall continue to use it.

If we appropriately ask "The Boss" for something, we may find that we get what He feels we need, not necessarily what we ask for. Remember, the Camino provides.

I hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I met a wonderful lady from Brazil on my Portugues two weeks ago in Tamel. She celebrated her eightiest birthday on the first of September. She got her backpack transported by taxi and would walk maybe some days ten k and others she would manage 5 k. She got the utmost respect from everyone, included the so called turigrinos.
It really does not matter in the eyes of whoever we call God or "He/ She who takes care of us" if we walked from Sarria/ Tui or from our doorstep to SdC.
And yes the crowds of the last 100 k. also bothered me time to time...was a good lesson for me to stay in my own zone.... And I got myself a private room with a fellow pilgrim to get some meditation time.

One day you may learn that the Camino is not a competition and the Compostela is not a trophy.

One day you may learn that the Camino is not a competition and the Compostela is not a trophy.
Honey, I have never raced my Caminos nor have I been collecting compostelas. I'm a 20 km a day walker. The question I was asking is to get a sense of who is walking long distances in chunks, in part due of time limitations. There is such a thing a tongue and cheek, but perhaps you lost your humour along the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Georgina - I am awed by your perseverance and spunk! Good for you! I admire you. Bless your son for being so thoughtful and helpful to help you realize this accomplishment!

My menisci are also nearly gone from being trimmed (both knees, both sides) from several decades of being morbidly obese. Having lost 45 Kg 20 years ago, I am maintain my weight at "big boy" level. I always walk with poles too, as I know they can transfer up to 25 percent of the rucksack weight to your arms instead of your knees. Also, they were a HUGE help on the downhill sections. Still, I have knee pain when I walk a Camino with a rucksack. But I stubbornly decline to use mochila transport services.

I used elastic knee braces for my three Caminos. However this past April, I started taking a nutritional supplement, despite my doctor telling me there were no definitive medical tests establishing its effectiveness. I take Glucosamine with Chondroitin. While it might not work for others, it seems to work for me. About one month after starting to take this daily supplement, all discomfort from my knees stopped. I also stopped having shoulder and wrist pain (inherited arthritis). My doctor just shrugs his shoulders and says, if it does not harm you medically, go ahead and continue to use it.

When I worked in Santiago this past July and August as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office, my daily duties involved being on my feet for six or more hours, seven days a week, working the queues and helping out wherever and however needed. Throughout the entire month and afterwards, I had no pain, swelling or discomfort. My logical conclusion is that the Glucosamine and Chondroitin works - for me. So, until one doctor or another says to stop using it, I shall continue to use it.

If we appropriately ask "The Boss" for something, we may find that we get what He feels we need, not necessarily what we ask for. Remember, the Camino provides.

I hope this helps.

Hi Tom.. Yes your comments are very helpful and I must add that I admire people who are willing to spend their summer , time , energy and money to volunteer to help others That is very commendable and I am sure that many people appreciated you doing it . Especially the people who are first timers like my son and I .. we had to ask for help and information more than once when looking for things ; plus there was so much going on that we hadn't known about , so we really did appreciate all the help the volunteers were to us and Bless you Big time for doing that . I know being on your feet all day isn't easy, but standing all day is even worse.. don't know how you did it. but it is awesome that you did it ...I think volunteers are a very important part of any event as they can make it a success or ruin it ... For us you and your companions helped make ours a success and we had a wonderful time Thanks to you and all the other volunteers on the Camino and in Santiago it's self May God Bless All of you richly for your heart toward others a big thank you to you and all the volunteers on behalf of my son That is just awesome :)

You are very kind. Thank you.

Being retired, my time is my mostly own. The only two limiting factors in my willingness to volunteer more or for longer periods of time are:
  • needing a long stay visa (non EU nationals can only remain in the Schengen Zone for 90 days within a six-month period); and
  • a patient and understanding wife who tends to draw a line at a six-week absence.
The folks in charge at the pilgrim office already asked me to come for "the season" in 2016. I had to invoke both limiting factor / restrictions to beg off. But I did promise to come back to help for at least one month in 2016. Actually, I am going to try to do two, month-long sessions, split with a Camino. But, I must wait until I am moved and unpacked in Florida (wife inspired move) before making any 2016 plans.

The first year I volunteered, I had barely Camino Spanish (survival level stuff). This year, I had basic phrases and could actually get the gist of of a conversation I was listening to.

I did promise to try to improve my Spanish. Oddly, my Dutch is better than my Spanish, and my French has gotten very rusty. I lived near Antwerp for two years and learned to speak Dutch so I could communicate with my 5-year old "nephew." Next year (2016-17), I hope to participate more. I am working up to a proficiency that would allow me to work at the counter interviewing arriving pilgrims and writing Compostelas.

If pilgrims would only stick to a script, answering standard questions, I could likely do it now, and in multiple languages. But, have you ever tried to speak conversationally to a person speaking a Latin-language? They all tend to go off-script, all the time. I admit to doing it too. So, I must study more and try to find someone here who can help me develop conversational skills. It will be easier to find such a person or class once I get to Florida.

That said, I was told I was welcome to return anytime. That came as a very welcome and pleasant surprise, especially as it was made by Don Segundo personally. You know, he is the signature on all the Compostelas. Gee, I hope I understood correctly? He speaks no English, and my Spanish, well, like Leonardo da Vinci's "Renaissance Man," let's just say I am a work in progress...;)

All said, if it were in my ability to do so, I would obtain the visa and rent a flat in Santiago as soon as possible, becoming another ex-pat. But, I have responsibilities here...(sigh)

Life, outside the Camino will pass...then I will be made whole again...yippee!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are very kind. Thank you.

Being retired, my time is my mostly own. The only two limiting factors in my willingness to volunteer more or for longer periods of time are:
  • needing a long stay visa (non EU nationals can only remain in the Schengen Zone for 90 days within a six-month period); and
  • a patient and understanding wife who tends to draw a line at a six-week absence.
The folks in charge at the pilgrim office already asked me to come for "the season" in 2016. I had to invoke both limiting factor / restrictions to beg off. But I did promise to come back to help for at least one month in 2016. Actually, I am going to try to do two, month-long sessions, split with a Camino. But, I must wait until I am moved and unpacked in Florida (wife inspired move) before making any 2016 plans.

The first year I volunteered, I had barely Camino Spanish (survival level stuff). This year, I had basic phrases and could actually get the gist of of a conversation I was listening to.

I did promise to try to improve my Spanish. Oddly, my Dutch is better than my Spanish, and my French has gotten very rusty. I lived near Antwerp for two years and learned to speak Dutch so I could communicate with my 5-year old "nephew." Next year (2016-17), I hope to participate more. I am working up to a proficiency that would allow me to work at the counter interviewing arriving pilgrims and writing Compostelas.

If pilgrims would only stick to a script, answering standard questions, I could likely do it now, and in multiple languages. But, have you ever tried to speak conversationally to a person speaking a Latin-language? They all tend to go off-script, all the time. I admit to doing it too. So, I must study more and try to find someone here who can help me develop conversational skills. It will be easier to find such a person or class once I get to Florida.

That said, I was told I was welcome to return anytime. That came as a very welcome and pleasant surprise, especially as it was made by Don Segundo personally. You know, he is the signature on all the Compostelas. Gee, I hope I understood correctly? He speaks no English, and my Spanish, well, like Leonardo da Vinci's "Renaissance Man," let's just say I am a work in progress...;)

All said, if it were in my ability to do so, I would obtain the visa and rent a flat in Santiago as soon as possible, becoming another ex-pat. But, I have responsibilities here...(sigh)

Life, outside the Camino will pass...then I will be made whole again...yippee!

Hi Tom I did enjoy your last post too funny It sounds like the Camino has become the other woman in your life just like the sailors and the sea ... Maybe you can talk your wife into going with you she may have a wonderful time once she is there and learns to love it as much as you do
It is awesome that your continuing to return and so willing to help them again next year I would imagine they don't get as much dedication and willingness to volunteer from other people as they have had from you ... It is usually hard to get volunteers at most things now a days so I was amazed at how many there were along the Camino which says alot about the Camino and the people going there to volunteer. I did notice and was surprised at the ability of many of them to be able to converse in so many different languages ( I was jealous ) You sound like you are one of them and doing very well with your Spanish that is so cool wish I had that ability but sadly after giving it a real hard try on the Duolingo Spanish lessons they offer on the net for almost a year and a half before we left for Spain; yup.... thought I was doing pretty good..... Well until we got there that is Boy ..I got so confused you wouldn't believe it.....My son was under standing people and relating to them better than me and he didn't even try to learn Spanish. Over the years seems we pick up the odd words from other languages but can't speak those languages well guess that is what happened to me as it all got jumbled up in my brain and my oh what a mess ... My son would laugh and say mom that is Italian or that is French and by the time I left I was in such a muddle my Hola had become Lola and when I got home where I should speak English some words Spanish words would come out instead As you can tell I am not Bi lingual I think for me it might be to dangerous to try to speak another language ...Thank the Lord most people were patient and didn't shoot me You obviously have the skills and a good sense of humor which I think you would need to work in the Pilgrims office and I am sure you would enjoy it. so I hope that will be open for you next year I will ask our Father about that for you ... Let me know if your mom goes with you as I am sure you will both have a wonderful time if you do it together
...Well I hope you and your wife have a great move and will enjoy Florida I have never been there but have heard really nice things about it.. God Bless you and your family and All the best with your move and new home

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back