• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bed bugs again

Berny Stapleton

Time of past OR future Camino
(French way, August 2015)
this time in Astorga San Javier a day ago. We really should have a live thread or something like that.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
San Javier always has bedbugs. They don't care. They shrugged when I told them. I would never stay there unless someone new takes it over.

Oh, I am starting my Camino in Astorga on Tuesday and was planning on staying in San Javier. Maybe should reconsider … Any tip, close to the bus station, since I arrive late on Monday evening.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ok, thanks for the info.

There's nothing wrong with the municipal in Astorga.
I stayed in the municipal in Astorga in June and very nice it was too. The key to municipal comfort in this case is not to arrive too early. They allocate the bunks on the ground floor first and then move up the building. The ground floor has a large fairly low-ceilinged dormitory with a lot of bunks which is not conducive to good air circulation. Whereas the accommodation on the higher floors comprises recently refurbished small rooms with 4-6 beds (i.e.2/3 bunks). For a large place in high season in the heatwave I was highly impressed by the (upstairs) comfort and the patient, friendly dedication of the volunteers running the place.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In fact, S. Javier is notorious for having bed bugs. It's a quaint enough building, which I think is why many want to stay there. It has "atmosphere',!!! However, all the inside is in wood, the floors, the stairs and the bunks. There is practically no way that they could ever eliminate them. And it's been going on for years.
The Muni is a bit further away to walk from the bus station ( say 5 minutes), but it is clean, rather sterile perhaps, with ceramic tiled floors, which makes it far easier for pest control.

Great. I will make a try at the Municipal!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
this time in Astorga San Javier a day ago. We really should have a live thread or something like that.
I agree; I'm writing this down in my Pilgrim's Guide whenever I see a post so would also appreciate a live thread!

San Javier always has bedbugs. They don't care. They shrugged when I told them. I would never stay there unless someone new takes it over.

I stayed there recently and was not bitten: I remind readers that to biting insects I am icecream.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Albergue La encina in Hospital de orbigo also has bedbugs, so i found out today.

I told the hospitalero/owners and they just looked at me bored and gave no serious respons what so ever.

Weird! Ive stayed there three times and no problems. Guess I'm just not tasty enough!
I know.
It's weird.
They bite some and don't bite some.
Once I stayed with the nuns in Leon.
I slept like a log.
Woke up next morning and the poor guy in the bed beneath me had a (literally) PILE of dead bedbugs on his bed.
He'd been up all night fighting them.
Not one touched me.
This was before I began spraying my gear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.