• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

the power of walking - Hungary just reminded me

Time of past OR future Camino
Seeing on TV this evening the columns of ~1000 of refugees who decided they had no option but to set out from Budapest on a 100+ mile walk to Austria. Reminded me that historically - on this island at least - walking or marching has on occasion been the last resort of the hungry, the unemployed and the disenfranchised. And when it has, it has often been rightly appreciated as momentous, and marked so in history.
We on this forum know something about setting out on a long walk towards our goal and what we fear and hope for and how we manage it - typically with the help and kindness of others along the way.
It was just seeing that column that hit me and I felt that however far apart our lives may be, there's some small thing (in the scheme of things) we share. That's it really.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I felt ashamed seeing the same column of displaced people,after serving 30 years in the military mainly as a peace keeping,watching now as thousands stand helpless and hopeless. displaced by conflict....some shouting out is this "Europe"..it's not my Europe at the moment. we can all put pressure today on our own politicians to make space and welcome these people...who need us right here right now.

on the camino people from many nations sleep eat and walk together..now its time all of Europe opens its doors.to provide shelter,food and hope...just as we search inside ourselves whilst walking looking for answers on our camino(our way), we can at least make our voices heard on there behalf as we (Europeans) hold the solution.. persuading our politicians to do everything today to support these people.famous quote"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".
it's easy to turn off the TV or turn over the page of the newspaper,too easy..

It breaks my heart to hear these reports. I feel so helpless to assist these refugees and guilty as I sit comfortably in my air conditioned home. Having walked the Camino, I cannot imagine trying to walk 100+ miles with infants and children and without all the high tech gear and well established services of which we've been blessed. I remember the wonderful feeling I had when greeted warmly by a hospitalero at the end of the day and want that for them. I wish I could rent a big bus and shuttle these people the three or so hours to a place where they will be treated humanely...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the 1970's we lived in Damascus, Syria. We made many friends among the Syrians and still have contact with some, both in the country and 'safely' outside. We found them a warm, generous and 'low key' people. The tragedy that has been envolving over the last few years has left thousands with no choice but to emigrate and seek refugee status in a European country, a lot of which has come to a head this first week of September 2015 .
As I watched the news today, I thought about all of us Pilgrims walking to Santiago. with our newly broken in boots, hoping that we don't get blisters (but we take all the necessary measures to treat them, should we be unfortunate to get the ) our comfortable backpack (here we are worrying about size, shape and weight. Should we take two or more pairs of pants - and should they have zip off legs? And what else? High tec T- Shirts, fleece., Rain gear, an Altus rain coat, extra sandals or Crocs, and so on!
Most of these people are walking with their only clothes, carrying children, who must be exhausted, sometimes loosing each other in the throng and hoping once in a while to find a toilet!
Personally, I think this is food for thought.
It is not my intention here to start any political or religious commentary.
However, please pray for these people and think about how fortunate we are, even when we find ourselves with problems or set backs during our Pilgrimage.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As @annakappa said,
"It is not my intention here to start any political or religious commentary.
However, please pray for these people and think about how fortunate we are, even when we find ourselves with problems or set backs during our Pilgrimage."

It is important that we all think twice before posting on threads with strong emotions.
Be gentle and avoid any political statements.

Thanks for helping to keep the forum civil and as non-political as possible.

Some political posts have been deleted and will continue to be deleted/edited.

Last edited:
The OP and most of the comments focus on the human tragedy of this and many other refugee crises. Its topic is not the camino, true, but the trigger was the commonality of walking. We are a very privileged bunch here on the forum, and an opportunity to reflect on that and to feel horror at the plight of others who walk but for very different reasons than we do is appropriate. Those posts are not political. Political posts will be deleted.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the 1970's we lived in Damascus, Syria. We made many friends among the Syrians and still have contact with some, both in the country and 'safely' outside. We found them a warm, generous and 'low key' people. The tragedy that has been envolving over the last few years has left thousands with no choice but to emigrate and seek refugee status in a European country, a lot of which has come to a head this first week of September 2015 .
As I watched the news today, I thought about all of us Pilgrims walking to Santiago. with our newly broken in boots, hoping that we don't get blisters (but we take all the necessary measures to treat them, should we be unfortunate to get the ) our comfortable backpack (here we are worrying about size, shape and weight. Should we take two or more pairs of pants - and should they have zip off legs? And what else? High tec T- Shirts, fleece., Rain gear, an Altus rain coat, extra sandals or Crocs, and so on!
Most of these people are walking with their only clothes, carrying children, who must be exhausted, sometimes loosing each other in the throng and hoping once in a while to find a toilet!
Personally, I think this is food for thought.
It is not my intention here to start any political or religious commentary.
However, please pray for these people and think about how fortunate we are, even when we find ourselves with problems or set backs during our Pilgrimage.
Amen.

Seeing on TV this evening the columns of ~1000 of refugees who decided they had no option but to set out from Budapest on a 100+ mile walk to Austria. Reminded me that historically - on this island at least - walking or marching has on occasion been the last resort of the hungry, the unemployed and the disenfranchised. And when it has, it has often been rightly appreciated as momentous, and marked so in history.
We on this forum know something about setting out on a long walk towards our goal and what we fear and hope for and how we manage it - typically with the help and kindness of others along the way.
It was just seeing that column that hit me and I felt that however far apart our lives may be, there's some small thing (in the scheme of things) we share. That's it really.

It hit me too when I saw them walking, especially as exactly a year ago I was doing the same walk but the other way round, through Germany, Wien then Budapest... Very poignant. I remember the worst rain I have ever encountered and it looks like it was raining on them too :( the difference of course was that I was walking through my own choice, I didn't have to. I also had very good shoes and rain wear :( Very humbling really.
Thank you for your post, I have not been able to put this out of my mind. I know it doesn't help at all :oops:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It breaks my heart. Is there something we can do?
Hello, Ethel
Yes, there is. A pilgrim might...
...keep on walking. Go from village to village in Germany or Sweden, for example, and encourage the locals who are living this experience. The work they are doing is tremendous. Pause for a day or two and listen to their stories. Many have been volunteering and helping out for months. In some places an extra pair of hands may be welcome…

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Deutsche Jakobswege (Germany)
http://www.deutsche-jakobswege.de/wege-uebersicht.html
St. Olavsleden (Sweden)
http://www.stolavsleden.com/
Birgittaleden (Sweden)
http://www.pilgrimscentrum.se/pilgrimsvandring/vandringsleder/birgittaleden-17047288

Google Images: Flüchtlinger helfer

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back