• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP in Oktober, November. Too lonely?

Vandrare

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (2015)
I am looking forward to walk from Salamanca to Santiago starting mid October. I like to walk alone, but I am beginning to get a little concerned. Will I be too much alone? I would like to see some fellow pilgrims on the road and I would definitely like to meet some at the albergues and hostals. Anybody have experience from that time of year? Is Camino Frances a better choice?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've done the VdlP twice in November and mostly had the albergues to myself. But I imagine there will be many more people about from Salamanca in October.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've done the VdlP twice in November and mostly had the albergues to myself. But I imagine there will be many more people about from Salamanca in October.

my personal approach has always been to strike off the letter "l" and let the camino teach me about "one-ness" and "onlyness". ! I am hopefully leaving Merida approx 18 sep and am delighted at the thought of empty albergues as long as the nearest bar is open! :)
the malingerer.

I just loved the Plata/Sanabrés in the fall! I walked from Salamanca to SdC mid October. I can't remember the exact date as I started in Granada in September but I arrived in SdC November 4th.

The albergue in Salamanca was almost full but several stopped there so in the end there were only a handful of us in the albergues. Fine with me: not alone but no crowds.

We were treated to apples, figs, chestnuts and ripe grapes (those that hadn't been harvested). The weather was great, I walked in 3/4 leggings and a t-shirt most of the time. If I recall we only had a couple of hours of slight rain. The downpours started the day after I arrived and continued from then on!

It will be great!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I started the VDLP 19 September last year and reached SDC 8 November. Plenty of people until Salamanca, after which it thinned right out. One of our group stayed an extra couple of days in Salamanca, but after four nights out of five alone in albergues, he did a couple of long days and caught up with the little group that had coalesced en route and we all made it to SDC about the same time. It just depends. If you find a little group and you're of like mind and speed, stick with them, so you at least end up at the same place at night.

I have the same worries about the Arles route starting beginning September. Good luck.

Hi I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I've done my first little camino, Santiago to Finisterre and would love to do another soon. I can only have holidays at certain times of the year. We have two weeks off for Christmas, and I would really like to walk a bit of Via de la Plata, do you know if people walk any camino in Dec.

I've walked in Galicia on the Sanabrés in December three times, including arriving in Santiago on December 23. As far as I know, all the xunta albergues are open all year (I've never found one closed). I hope they are, as I plan to hit Ribadeo in early December and carry on using the ruta del mar. I think the out of season pilgrims get a very warm reception, but perhaps I've just been lucky.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've walked in Galicia on the Sanabrés in December three times, including arriving in Santiago on December 23. As far as I know, all the xunta albergues are open all year (I've never found one closed). I hope they are, as I plan to hit Ribadeo in early December and carry on using the ruta del mar. I think the out of season pilgrims get a very warm reception, but perhaps I've just been lucky.
T
I've walked in Galicia on the Sanabrés in December three times, including arriving in Santiago on December 23. As far as I know, all the xunta albergues are open all year (I've never found one closed). I hope they are, as I plan to hit Ribadeo in early December and carry on using the ruta del mar. I think the out of season pilgrims get a very warm reception, but perhaps I've just been lucky.[/QU

Thanks for your reply, it gives me some hope. I'm sure that finding a bed in a hostel will not be a problem, but did you come across other camino travelers along the way. Another thing, what kind of protective clothing did you need as the one and only time I've done the camino was Aug this year.

Hi again,

I have several layers of merino wool, which I swear by. Once it was so cold (-9 c, I think) that the water in my rucksack froze up and my torso was covered in a fetching hoar frost, but because of the miracle of merino, under my four layers I felt just fine.

I didn't meet many other camino travellers - none between Galisteo and Zamora one year, or between Fuenterroble and Ourense another time. But the people in the bars etc are usually curious about the lone pilgrim, so plenty of companionship there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all three. Starting from Salamander oct 17.[/
I am looking forward to walk from Salamanca to Santiago starting mid October. I like to walk alone, but I am beginning to get a little concerned. Will I be too much alone? I would like to see some fellow pilgrims on the road and I would definitely like to meet some at the albergues and hostals. Anybody have experience from that time of year? Is Camino Frances a better choice?
Hej Vandrare. (Are you swedish?)

I'm starting from Seville sept 26 so I'll probably pass Salamanca in mid october.
Buen camino!!

Hei Christobal72
I’m norwegian living in Gothenburg. Starting in Salamanca october 16 or 17. Are you going to walk all the way to Santiago?

I also will be starting in Seville on Sept 24 or 25. Plan on going all the way to Santiago. I am coming from northern California

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hei Christobal72
I’m norwegian living in Gothenburg. Starting in Salamanca october 16 or 17. Are you going to walk all the way to Santiago?
Hej igen!
I'm walking all the way. My plan is to arrive in late october. I'll let you know if I'm around Salamanca on your dates.

I also will be starting in Seville on Sept 24 or 25. Plan on going all the way to Santiago. I am coming from northern California
Hey Paul!
If you're not superfast I might catch up with you!
Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back