• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What are the most useful apps for the iPhone for use on the Camino?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one that drains your phone in a second. Try to enjoy the walk the old fashion way!
Switch of the electronic "connection" with the world...
Yhere is no need for any apps or GPS's or other modern stuff. Of course, in the evening you can switch on your cellphone to see how your "left behinds" are doing.

I recommend Here (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/here-offline-navigation-maps/id955837609?mt=8), an offline map that does not use much battery and can give you turn by turn directions to where you want to go. If you have a gpx file of the route, it will show you where you are in relation to the Camino. You certainly won't need it on the French route unless you plan on going off trail on purpose but some of the other Caminos are not as well marked. I found it invaluable on the Camino Ignaciano.

edited to add: oops, sorry, this app is not Camino specific but I still think it's very useful on Caminos other than the French route.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maps. Definitely maps, offline or online (if you have a local data prepaid sim). Especially the other routes (not Camino Frances) where the waymarking is sometimes not as good. This way it saves times and one does not need to heavily dependent on arrows to get to the next town.

Ebook reader stuff with books on pilgrimages for bedtime reading (guaranteed reading to last no more than a page before being knocked out).

If it is Android then Google Translate with the basic Spanish dictionary preloaded (unless you are already fluent in Spanish).

I noticed that there were quite a few Camino specific apps out.

What were the most useful apps you used on your walk?

If you got away with not using them in the past why now enquire?
The camino to me =leave all @ home.
Skype for grandkids once every three days when available.......... thats it.
Oh i forgot.....the grandkids also have a life and they cant be reached on their weekends when sport dictates...........pop who??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Walking the Camino now. I'd recommend Walkmeter. It shows the distance walked, calories, map, and elevation as well as graphs of all of the above. Feature I like the most is the ability to keep this activity in file as history as well as email the stats to anyone interested.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OP did not ask about connectivity, merely about useful apps. (Opposition doesn't even know the difference it seems)
Whereas there are no valid reasons for not taking a smartphone along (and be it for emergencies only), the decision of when to use it and when to establish connectivity (to the die-hards: two different things) is personal and situational; where is the proverbial tolerance of this forum, I wonder!
Every peregrino does his very own camino; some prefer a smartphone serving them as a modern "virtual" Swiss Army Knife while others carry along heavy guides, maps, books, hard-copy lists, flashlights, cameras, compass, etc.
Let them all be happy. Just found it a little peculiar that some opinionated "anti-smartphone" people kept on asking me about length of remaining distances, phone-reservation numbers of albergues (even asking me to do the reservation for them!), weather forecasts, etc.

Buen camino to those "with" and the "withouts".

PS. This elderly peregrino who collapsed in the Meseta was pretty glad that I was able to call for help.....on my smartphone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eroski is the hands down winner as far as I can see.

But it's all in Spanish! Any idea how to access it in English? At the moment I have been using Google translate for each page, but its awfully laborious.

Any bright ideas?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used Viewranger - http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb/get-the-app it is also a free app where you can donload your own customized map for offline use and the app tracks where you go, so you can revisit the trip and see it as well as upload it for other to see if you want to - here's one from my camino. Oh...you can upload .gpx tracks into it, so it also can show you where you're supposed to go - if you need that! (I like to have it as a safety net!)

http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MzA5MDc5

Eroski is the hands down winner as far as I can see.
But it's all in Spanish! Any idea how to access it in English? At the moment I have been using Google translate for each page, but its awfully laborious.
Any bright ideas?
Learn Spanish. Eroski uses a very plain and simple language; to acquire some of it will also make your camino far more interesting and enjoyable.
Coraje y buena suerte

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you have a gpx file of the route, it will show you where you are in relation to the Camino.
Compañero Michael (or anyone in this forum), will the gpx file work with the phone in airplane mode or do you have to burn your data (which could be very expensive)?

Compañero Michael (or anyone in this forum), will the gpx file work with the phone in airplane mode or do you have to burn your data (which could be very expensive)?
Go safe and buy a local SIM card (eg. in Pamplona), for less than 50 Euros you can burn as much Data as you need in a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go safe and buy a local SIM card (eg. in Pamplona), for 50 Euros you can burn as much Data as you need in a month.
Thanks Compañero Pano for the recommendation. My plan for next year is to start in a town far from a camino, I will need all the help I can get from The Good Samaritans (and the good gps). Muchas Gracias y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A good ap or guide book is essential for routes other than the Camino Francés. Eroski was the best I found for the Via de la Plata. I barely speak Spanish, but it was still much better than looking at vague instructions in English.

Ditto for a SIM card and data access. It's lonely out there and not overly marked with those comforting yellow arrows. There's also areas where the path is disputed by locals, and signs have been moved and painted over. A gentle reverie of the Camino experience is fine, until you get lost. Google maps somehow knew even the lowliest farm track, and saved me more than once.

Most usefull app? Doesnt that depend on what you want from an app?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Muchas Gracias a Todos for the information on getting a SIM card and data access (and the various apps).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Here maps and GPS file will work while it is in airplane mode and no data plan will be needed for them. You just need to download the Spain map before leaving. Once finished the Camino, you can take the map off your phone again to save space. The one thing you won't get while it is in airplane mode is the blue dot showing you where you are one the map which would obviously be useful. If you are not in airplane mode, a data plan is not needed for the blue dot anyway. I had data roaming and airplane mode both turned off and it worked fine. Buen Camino!

The Here maps and GPS file will work while it is in airplane mode and no data plan will be needed for them. You just need to download the Spain map before leaving. Once finished the Camino, you can take the map off your phone again to save space. The one thing you won't get while it is in airplane mode is the blue dot showing you where you are one the map which would obviously be useful. If you are not in airplane mode, a data plan is not needed for the blue dot anyway. I had data roaming and airplane mode both turned off and it worked fine. Buen Camino!
Muchas Gracias! Good information. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Whatsapp will allow you to keep in contact with home via WIFI. No phone service required to send text etc.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not Camino-specific, but.... I used the maps.me app a lot for maps, especially in the towns. I prefer Google maps generally but Spain is one of the countries they don't let you download for offline use. With Maps.me you can do this. I also used the Google Translate app all the time (downloaded Spanish dictionary so could use offline) - I do speak basic Spanish, and was trying to improve that all the time, but for those times when I'd see or hear a word which was outside my knowledge, the app was very useful (I didn't take a dictionary). Also used Dropbox for backing up photos, and booking.com.

The most useful feature with the dictionary and navigation apps is the ability to use them offline, as you can be out of signal range a lot of the time while walking. Not a problem usually once you stop, since so many places have wifi.

To those that posted to ask why I'm asking, it's because I'm not bringing a guidebook and because I also know that there are apps that contribute to one's experience and enjoyment of things, not just detract from them--specifically relating to safety, logistics, and communication.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The best app? Without a doubt the Kindle App on your smartphone. Then download "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook" by David Gitliz and Linda Kay Davidson. With it in hand you can stand and gaze at a church facade and know exactly what it is about. It is also full of wonderful and intriguing information about the Camino Frances. It will not tell you kilometres between towns, or about albergues, or directions - that information is easy to find and freely available. Instead it will provide you with something that will really enrich your Camino experience.

Last edited:

What about @ivar 's Camino Places app? I'm looking forward to trying it out, you can see other forum members around you and connect to forum when you have wi-fi, as well as use it for accommodation etc.

There's one called Sky Map which, when pointed at the stars, names them for you... very cool.

I used the kindle app, Google translate, a Spanish - English dictionary, wise pilgrim and had some desktop links to useful websites. I bought the kindle book that kanga mentioned and found it useful at times when you wanted to know more about the history of places... and also to make sure you didn't miss anything important.

I also used the Facebook messenger app... there are other apps that do the same as this but it allowed friends to message me easily without ever needing to go into Facebook itself or use email.

I also kept a blog for family and friends so downloaded the blogger for mobile app

And as someone said dropbox was brilliant. I had it set so that whenever I was using wifi it would backup the photos...They were always safe and my husband could see them at home.

I also took copies of important documents and saved them on my phone... passport and prescriptions... and saved a copy in Dropbox just in case.

Have a great time

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walking the Camino now. I'd recommend Walkmeter. It shows the distance walked, calories, map, and elevation as well as graphs of all of the above. Feature I like the most is the ability to keep this activity in file as history as well as email the stats to anyone interested.
Just downloaded this app. Thanks for the tip.

An app I use every day, at home and abroad, is weather.com or the Weather Channel. It was already installed on my iPhone when I bought it. It tells me, hour by hour, if it's going to rain or not!

I liked The app CAMINO FRANCES. It's divided into provinces rather than stages and shows each city or village you pass through

I liked the app CAMINO FRANCES. The content is divided into provinces rather than stages. Each city or village is listed with a short description and history along with symbols for what services are available there. You can see Albergues and hostels/hotels with info and even a link to hotels.com for accommodations that can be booked on line.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wise Pilgrim App, it was brilliant - we purchased a Spainish SIM in Pamplona and had to use google maps a couple of times, we walked 760kms and would not be with out it...... Buen Camino

I used the apps. "Buen Camino"and "the "Wise Pilgrim". There were many times when I wondered if I was on the right trail, checking my exact location on the map was invaluable. Not to mention the ability to choose albergues for the day, with ratings, prices and amenities. Especially during the last few days of the walk, when there is a drastic increase in number of pilgrims and you see groups of 20-30 pilgrims pass you by, it becomes necessary to book albergues ahead of time. It felt like having a guide and a travel agent on my phone. Sorry, I understand this could be too Techie for some peregrinos. Buen Camino!

For practical info, I've used the Eorski app with good results.

Beyond the practical, into the prehistory and history of the road, I'd love also to recommend my own app, published by Sutro media and on iTunes and Android, The Esoteric Camino France & Spain (http://www.beebesfeast.com/app-camino.html). After three decades of traversing the terrain, I noticed there were so many deeper layers to the Camino than we pilgrims often get to suss out as we pass. That inspired the writing--to point these out--and I also added in the folklore and local knowledge from the natives I spoke to who are guardians of the way.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For practical info, I've used the Eorski app with good results.

Beyond the practical, into the prehistory and history of the road, I'd love also to recommend my own app, published by Sutro media and on iTunes and Android, The Esoteric Camino France & Spain (http://www.beebesfeast.com/app-camino.html). After three decades of traversing the terrain, I noticed there were so many deeper layers to the Camino than we pilgrims often get to suss out as we pass. That inspired the writing--to point these out--and I also added in the folklore and local knowledge from the natives I spoke to who are guardians of the way.

Buen Camino!
Beebe, checked your website, I can only imagine someone lucky enough to cross path with you on a trail and have an enlightening chat over dinner and a bottle of wine.

Beebe, checked your website, I can only imagine someone lucky enough to cross path with you on a trail and have an enlightening chat over dinner and a bottle of wine.

Thank you Viggen! It would be a mutual honor!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One more thing to consider when choosing an app. Most have version history, the older the original release, the more user feedbacks it will have. Its those feedbacks/reviews that make an app richer and more useful than another. In Triacastela, I had my worst experience of the Camino, only to realize the next day that if I had checked my second app, I would have avoided the albergue at all cost. After that experience, I used one app for its map, and the other for accomodations.

The best app? Without a doubt the Kindle App on your smartphone. Then download "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook" by David Gitliz and Linda Kay Davidson. With it in hand you can stand and gaze at a church facade and know exactly what it is about. It is also full of wonderful and intriguing information about the Camino Frances. It will not tell you kilometres between towns, or about albergues, or directions - that information is easy to find and freely available. Instead it will provide you with something that will really enrich your Camino experience.
Does this book cover just the Camino Frances, or other Caminos as well.... We are going on part of Camino del Norte, and Camino Primitive...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with Koidream.
You do not need an app to walk the Camino.
It is well marked and there is a line of pilgrims to follow.
Just go and enjoy yourself.
Relax.
Don't overplan.
The Camino will provide everything you need.

Nick and All,

Thanks for the kind words, the apps improve month by month. A small correction though: There is a Francés version, but not a Portugues version.... the latter is arriving early in the Spring.

Michael

Nick and All,

Thanks for the kind words, the apps improve month by month. A small correction though: There is a Francés version, but not a Portugues version.... the latter is arriving early in the Spring.

Michael

Thanks, Michael. I was going by the description in your Norte app, which doesn't mention a Frances app. I think the people in this thread would appreciate such an app if you want to link to it. I couldn't find it.

The Norte app is going to help me a lot!

Most useful app? Flight Mode!

I find mobile phones a curse and a blessing. I used mine mostly as a camera, but got annoyed as incoming texts, e-mail and other notifications came in and disturbed the peace. When I got home, my daughter suggested Flight Mode.

Clever girl, that one.
Chip off the ol' block - takes after her Mother.

Biff

Not Camino-specific, but.... I used the maps.me app a lot for maps, especially in the towns. I prefer Google maps generally but Spain is one of the countries they don't let you download for offline use. With Maps.me you can do this. I also used the Google Translate app all the time (downloaded Spanish dictionary so could use offline) - I do speak basic Spanish, and was trying to improve that all the time, but for those times when I'd see or hear a word which was outside my knowledge, the app was very useful (I didn't take a dictionary). Also used Dropbox for backing up photos, and booking.com.

The most useful feature with the dictionary and navigation apps is the ability to use them offline, as you can be out of signal range a lot of the time while walking. Not a problem usually once you stop, since so many places have wifi.

I have been using Google Translate for some time now and I should like to be able to download a Spanish dictionary and use it offline, as I have only wifi for my ipad. But I have no idea how to do so and I could not find any hints on the Google Translate app itself. Could anyone please respond?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Google Translate
I have it on my phone and must have muddled along to accomplish this, so it can't be too hard and most likely was free. Somewhere there is an option to download the language(s) you want for offline use. I will look at it for additional clues. Likely someone else will help first!

A very good Spanish Dictionary that works off line is free on the App Store
The name is simply Spanish Dictionary! (Also with the upside down Spanish one in front)
The exclamation points are the best identifier of the right app as others are similarly named.
I use it in Spain with good results.

I have been using Google Translate for some time now and I should like to be able to download a Spanish dictionary and use it offline, as I have only wifi for my ipad. But I have no idea how to do so and I could not find any hints on the Google Translate app itself. Could anyone please respond?

On the Android I go to Menu/Settings/Offline Languages then select the languages you want to (download) use offline.

On the Android I go to Menu/Settings/Offline Languages then select the languages you want to (download) use offline.
Yes, that's exactly what I did. I also have an Android phone, but I imagine there will be similar options on the i-phone version.

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I also have an Android phone, but I imagine there will be similar options on the i-phone version.

I have finally found "Translate offline" under Google Translate Help on my ipad. The option "Download languages to use offline" is said to be available for "Android only". At least I now know that this cannot be done on my ipad. I would appreciate it if anyone who knows of another translation program with this potential would publicize it. Thanks to Mike Savage and Getting There for trying.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back