• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Could you please comment on my novice peregrino packlist?

Kerrygold

Time of past OR future Camino
I want to walk - for the forst time - in October/November (2015)!
Hello! So, I still have 3 days to go, It's my first Camino, I'm not packed yet, but I made a packlist. I'll try to make it 6,5 kgs. I don't feel like I need to buy all the fancy gear, NASA-approved backpacks and underwear made of chin hair of a very rare Mongolian goat, but maybe you have some remarks, and maybe I'm missing some essentials:

1. Backpack - 50 liter, because this is the one I have... It won't be full probably
2. Jacket - it's not super light, but it says it's completely rainproof
3. Toiletries:
a) 2 in 1 shampoo/soap,
b) toothpaste,
c) toothbrush,
d) hairbrush,
e) propolis ointment (small tube, accelerates skin healing)
f) nail clipper
f) deodorant
4. Flashlight
5. Powerbank (I have all the maps in my phone) + smartphone + charger
6. Camera (standard DSLR one) + charger + extra memory card
7. Light TOMS shoes
8. Light flipflops
9. Hoodie
10. Pyjama
11. Enamel cup (cup and pot in one!)
12. Longsleeve
13. Tanktop
14. Tshirt (one or two?)
15. Yoga pants x 2
16. Underwear: pants x 4, socks x 4, bras x 2
17. Of course - walking boots
18. Bandaids + small scissors
19. Small 70x100 cms towel
20. Notebook + pen
21. Face cream
22. Sleeping bag
23. Chapstick
24. Painkillers
25. Spoon
26. Pepper gas?
27. Sewing kit
28. Earplugs

Whattdya think?

I need advice on:
- Flashlight - should I take one that you can put on your head, in case of walking after sunset, or a lighter keyring one?
- Pyjama - long or short sleeve? How cold is there in albergues in October/November?
- Is it worth taking enamel cup if albergues have their pots and pans?
- Should I take a thermos with me?
- Will I need sunscreen at this time of the year?
- Duct tape - yay or nay?
- I really don't want to take fork with me, there is nothing that you can't eat with spoon : ) But how important it is to have a Swiss army knife?
- Is it possible to buy pepper gas on the way? I don't think I can take it on the plane with me. Should I take it at all? I still have Denise on my mind...
- Does it make sense to take compas?
- Splitter with two outlets? I know that in shared rooms there is never enough outlets...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Kerrygold!

Didn't walk in november, but april – so I think weather/light situation shouldn't be that different and hope I'm not completely wrong with what I say here:

- No need for pepper spray. If you've got a walking stick/poles, you could use those to defend yourself, if needed (highly unlikely to happen anway, don't be afraid :) ).

- No need for a compass, the way is well marked (at least the Francés, don't know the others) and if you get lost, friendly locals will help you to find back to the right path

- small keyring flashlight is enough if you don't plan to walk at night

- Instead of taking a pyjama, sleep in the shirt you plan to wear the next day and yoga/sweat pants (those you carry anyway for walking around in the albergue and/or while your other pants are drying).

- underwear/socks: one less each should be enough

- you plan on wearing yoga pants for walking, or why two? Might be a bit cold in november. Maybe better one pair of trousers or warm skirt+leggings if you prefer that.

- enamel cup / pot and spoon are great if you plan to cook (in Galicia there are no pots, cups ect. in the kitchens)

- small knife can be very helpful (if you've got some spare money, „opinel“ knives are lightweight, sharp, and not very expensive - you should be able to buy it in France or Spain, it's a French brand I think)

- add a cap/hat, preferably warm and water resistant, gloves and light scarf (wool is nice for all those because it stays warm even when wet, but take what you can get). In the mornings, especially in the mountains, it could be cold and windy.

- jacket: test if it is indeed water proof. If it doesn't rain where you are, step under the shower!

I hope the more experienced people here have more ideas. :)

Last edited:
Kerrygold,

You must be very excited today since you set off later this week!
All of us who have walked in late autumn/winter have evolved a personal kit; here is mine-- http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html. The weather can change so very quickly in autumn it is important to be prepared.

Happy packing and Buen camino!

MM

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked in October / November myself, and definitely agree with the above to take a hat / gloves - I definitely needed these some times. And the suncream as well !
I have never taken a swiss army knife, compass, duct tape or a flashlight (because I do not walk in the dark - just a small flashlight to use at night
in the albergue did it for me). But you will probably get other comments of people saying they come in very handy !
You can probably do with less underwear and socks indeed. On the other hand, taking 4 or 5 (which I always do) means that you do not have to do laundry so often - for me this feels like a little luxury which outweighs the disadvantage of taking a little extra weight. In the end, this is all a matter of personal preference.
PS A thermos is not essential, there are plenty of bars where you can have a coffee or a hot drink. If you are on a budget or prefer to picknick and have your warm drink there, a thermos comes in handy though.

Last edited:
Kerrygold

follow advice as above..from good old shoes

you can buy knife (folding) in Sjpp there is a shop on the same street as the pilgrims office.also walking stick or cheap poles.
In Pamplona your be able to top up shampoos etc in handy sizes by visiting the caminoteca shop on Calle de Curia No 15 run by people who have walked the camino.

your need something waterproof to take your passport with you to the shower. I use a aqua pack..

always keep your valuables around you all the time like you would do travelling else where.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm waiting for more people to say their opinion. Here is a little explanation:

- I hate washing my stuff by hand and I hate sleeping in everyday clothes (I guess it's just a personal hygene obsession thingie). Besides, I believe that during rainy days things will not dry as quickly as normally, so I prefer to have an extra dry set.
- I don't plan to cook that much, but sometimes boiling water for tea or instant ramen or boiling an egg may be nice.
- the jacket is absolutely waterproof, tested during Japanese tycoons ; )
- 2 x yoga pants because I plan to use them for walking, yes. These are sporty ones from H&M, not poor cotton ones, so they are bit warmer. Besides, my lower half doesn't really get cold, well, I'm from Poland : ) two pairs, because come on, I'd like to wash them once in a while and have another set to wear.
- As a petite woman, I've had some talk about self-defence and I was told that all the "contact combat tools" :) such as knives, poles and so on, are actually counter-productive, they can be taken away from you and used against you, whereas pepper spray neutralizes the assaulter for the time that lets you run away (unless the wind is blowing in your direction ; )

Does it happen often to get robbed in albergues? I traveled quite a lot and I'd never thing of taking my documents to the shower!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...."Does it happen often to get robbed in albergues? I traveled quite a lot and I'd never thing of taking my documents to the shower!"

It can happen unfortunately. Take your documents, money/credit cards, camera and phone with you always. Never leave visible/accessible what you can't afford to lose. Furthemore never tell anyone where you keep these valuables. All pilgrims are not angels not is everyone wandering about a pilgrim. Be aware but not anxious.

Read this earlier Forum thread on pack security which cites many good ideas.

Last edited:
Kerrygold

you quite correct in saying combat tools are counter productive, I like your thinking......your best form of self-defence is awareness.
your soon notice the same faces in albegrues and the expected new comers in places like Pamplona-Logrono-Burgos...and so on.

I take my passport and money to the shower to prevent opportunity thefts which are rare but can happen.

if there is a hook behind the shower door a plastic bag would suffice. sometimes if I am in a small albegrue with pilgrims I have walked with for a while I can leave the camera by my bunk out of sight.....

you can share washing machines with other pilgrims as I have done many times if you prefer not to wash by hand

I would also leave the camera since you have a smart phone and pick a shoe that does the job of the flipflops and Toms. Leave the cup, leave the knife, the pepper spray, the tank top, the flash light as you will not be walking after sunset. Leave the thermos home.

You have not mentioned a poncho or altus type of rain gear, rain pants, and something that covers your backpack. What are you doing for feet: vaseline to prevent blisters. What about walking poles? In rainy fall days these may come in extra handy on wet, muddy and slippery terrain.

No mention of laundry soap or pins. If the weather is wet you will want to do laundry to get rid of the mud, even if you don't like doing laundry by hand.

I used to carry pijamas, long sleeve, now I wear my thermal undies I bring in case of cold temps. Was lucky not to need them so they didn't need washing after a walk, but as mentioned just put kn the yogo pants, tshirt and hoodie for the next day.

Have you thout about a pillow case of some sort to cover those not so clean pillows? And for water, what are you planning? Plastic bottles from the store are fine but it can be difficult to access them depending on how your bag is constructed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Scissors means that your pack will go in the hold - better to cut up plasters or buy one in France (I bring just nail clippers that I can carry-on)

Dump the DSLR - one fewer thing to worry about - camera in phone fine

Shoes or flipflop not both

Bring Compeed to allow you to continue to walk through blisters (and hence no need for painkillers)

Avoid cotton t-shirts, prefer wool for everything

Do you really need the hairbrush - don't see that many model pilgrims

Some light gloves would be a good addition

Nooo... smartphone camera doesn't do the job : ) And WHAT IF I will be walking after sunset? I got my friend hit by a car in Spain (not on Camino though), he died. I don't have rain pants, what are these? Waterproof pants? I thought about bringing a tote bag, so it can be used as a pillow cover sometimes. As for water - I don't think I would be walking for longer than 5 kms without a stop, and it won't be that hot to drink constantly. Hair brush, yes, unless I want to enter Santiago with dreadlocks. I was thinking about the already cut band aids, but sometimes blisters are big... I have very light and sharp pair of scissors, 4 cms in total, all in plastic, just blades are metal.

The clothing list looks good, it reads as though you are wearing some of it and carrying the rest. I use longjohns and top as pyjamas as I don't sleep in next days clothes either. Also carry spare pants(briefs) and socks to ensure having clean dry ones. For a knife and scissors we had a Victorinox Swisscard - allowed on some flights but not others. Bought in Spain and we were prepared to mail it home from Santiago. Mini keyfob torch, no headlight, no pepper spray or thermos. I use a comb rather than hairbrush but that is a personal choice. I would not walk without a hat and also take gloves (mine are silk) and a small camera rather than relying on my phone. Like others I would if alone expect to take all valuables/passport etc into the shower. Walking with my husband I did not need to but he did when on his own.

Water, you should really carry some in case places are closed or it is warmer than you expect. Also a lightweight reflective vest is required if walking after dark, outside of urban areas, in Spain. So sad about your friend, but the newish law about wearing a safety vest is good and they are cheap and easy to buy. I have a good poncho, no jacket, and waterproof overtrousers. Good in the rain and as an extra layer on cold mornings.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
I think you have some very good advice here. Something I lost twice was my towel, & for some reason I had a hard time finding bar soap. So if you loose your light pack towel they sell like a dish towel that will dry quick I found I didn't need anything but a very small towel. The best tool I had with me was a foldable serrated knife for bread. I hope you like bread as they serve a lot of bread....

Nooo... smartphone camera doesn't do the job : ) And WHAT IF I will be walking after sunset? I got my friend hit by a car in Spain (not on Camino though), he died. I don't have rain pants, what are these? Waterproof pants? I thought about bringing a tote bag, so it can be used as a pillow cover sometimes. As for water - I don't think I would be walking for longer than 5 kms without a stop, and it won't be that hot to drink constantly. Hair brush, yes, unless I want to enter Santiago with dreadlocks. I was thinking about the already cut band aids, but sometimes blisters are big... I have very light and sharp pair of scissors, 4 cms in total, all in plastic, just blades are metal.

Please drink enough water, even when you don't feel that hot! I suffered from dehydration two years ago...not nice.

I edited in the comment about a reflective vest in the post above, so here is a photo of one adapted to go over a pack. I slit the sides and then tied tapes to the corners and pinned the top to make a box shape.

Attachments

• ref jkt.jpg
    ref jkt.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 38
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just walked 5 days last week. My packing list was much like yours. However the most useful things I took were...
*a large thin light cotton scarf - I wore this as an accessory in the evenings, to keep warm in the mornings, as a sarong to wrap round my waist on bathroom visits, and best of all, as a quick-drying towel - so much better than those microfibre things.
*a 3m length of paracord. Very light, it got strung across various balconies and rooms, and on the return flight to secure my backpack straps inside a plastic sack because I checked the bag.
*small waistpack/bumbag/fannypack/whatever you want to call it to carry money, phone, lipbalm, tissues, compeed/tape in case you feel a hotspot, small bottle of water. Things you need regularly and want to be able to get hold of easily, it saves having to unload your backpack so often.

Given the time of year I think you may find you need waterproof overtrousers. Depending what your yoga pants are made of, they may not dry very quickly.

But have a wonderful time- and Buen Camino!

I have over packed in the past and I know we all have our preferences!
I would take (or buy there/at airport) small nail scissors rather than scissors and clippers, then you can use then for nails and plasters. I have a swiss army type card (credit card size) which has scissors and a small torch and pen too - maybe worth looking out for!
Don't take light shoes and flip flops. I would say flip flops are better for wearing in albergues etc.
I also took a sarong scarf - which was great for keeping cool and warm, picnic blanket etc.
You asked about sunscreen, but are taking a face cream. take a face cream with SPF - it probably wont be warm enough to be walking in shorts etc.
Also safety pins are useful to pin stuff to your pack - ie to let your washing dry or air - nobody cares if your smalls are on display.
Buen Camino

As for water - I don't think I would be walking for longer than 5 kms without a stop, and it won't be that hot to drink constantly

There are many places along the Camino where there is more than 5km between places you can buy water if you don't have a bottle you can fill at the fuentes (water fountains) - in a few places I can think of it's about 12km, and in at least one place 16km without even a fuente. They are usually more frequent than that, but you need to have a bottle with you to fill from them. Water is not something to save space/weight on - it's vital that you have enough, and much better to carry too much than not enough. It is quite possible to become dehydrated in cooler weather - and remember that waterproof jackets can make you sweat a lot and lose fluid that way. Many people only carry one 5ooml bottle - not enough for everyone, but it should be enough at this time of year if you refill it when the opportunity arises.

The rest of your kit sounds pretty good, with a few tweaks - some good advice above from Camino veterans.

Almost time for you to go - have a wonderful time and buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Foot cream - where's your foot cream? I use a nice fatty Nivea product that doubles for face, hands and feet.

I also carry a very, very small repair kit - half a 5 g tube of superglue, a threaded needle and a little strong tape. I've used them all at times, for shoe/backpack/seat of trousers repairs...

Hello! So, I still have 3 days to go, It's my first Camino, I'm not packed yet, but I made a packlist. I'll try to make it 6,5 kgs. I don't feel like I need to buy all the fancy gear, NASA-approved backpacks and underwear made of chin hair of a very rare Mongolian goat, but maybe you have some remarks, and maybe I'm missing some essentials:

1. Backpack - 50 liter, because this is the one I have... It won't be full probably
3. Toiletries:
a) 2 in 1 shampoo/soap,
b) toothpaste,
c) toothbrush,
d) hairbrush,
f) nail clipper
f) deodorant
4. Flashlight
7. Light TOMS shoes
8. Light flipflops
9. Hoodie
10. Pyjama
12. Longsleeve
13. Tanktop
14. Tshirt (one or two?)
15. Yoga pants x 2
20. Notebook + pen
21. Face cream
22. Sleeping bag
23. Chapstick
24. Painkillers
25. Spoon
26. Pepper gas?
27. Sewing kit
28. Earplugs

Whattdya think?

I need advice on:
- Flashlight - should I take one that you can put on your head, in case of walking after sunset, or a lighter keyring one?
- Pyjama - long or short sleeve? How cold is there in albergues in October/November?
- I really don't want to take fork with me, there is nothing that you can't eat with spoon : ) But how important it is to have a Swiss army knife?
- Is it possible to buy pepper gas on the way? I don't think I can take it on the plane with me. Should I take it at all? I still have Denise on my mind...
- Splitter with two outlets? I know that in shared rooms there is never enough outlets...

Kerrygold:

I used to comment about folks packing list. Then, I discovered how important it is for individuals to be comfortable. Bring with you whatever makes you feel comfortable. Spain is not a third world country. You can purchase anything you might have overlooked and you can leave behind anything you find you do not need. Your pack weight of 6.5 kg's is far about half as much as my first Camino pack.

You need good comfortable shoes and good rain gear. Start slowly, listen to your body (in particular your feet) and let the Camino be your guide.

Ultreya,
Joe

There are many places along the Camino where there is more than 5km between places you can buy water if you don't have a bottle you can fill at the fuentes (water fountains) - in a few places I can think of it's about 12km, and in at least one place 16km without even a fuente. They are usually more frequent than that, but you need to have a bottle with you to fill from them. Water is not something to save space/weight on - it's vital that you have enough, and much better to carry too much than not enough. It is quite possible to become dehydrated in cooler weather - and remember that waterproof jackets can make you sweat a lot and lose fluid that way. Many people only carry one 5ooml bottle - not enough for everyone, but it should be enough at this time of year if you refill it when the opportunity arises.

The rest of your kit sounds pretty good, with a few tweaks - some good advice above from Camino veterans.

Almost time for you to go - have a wonderful time and buen camino!

all of the above is very true. the walk from Carrion de los Condes is an example of no fonts for about 17 kms
good point on jackets making you overheat and sweat if you not careful

Just thought I would mention this a lot of distance walkers know very well how to hydrate and resupply ,calculate when to take water on board. its a fine art but very doable.. I seldom carry water myself..because I know the camino very well and I am also a keen hill walker/ mountaineer......it s difficult to come on a forum first time and ask for advice when it comes to the camino because you not really away in the great outdoors without water sources to tap into .its a pilgrimage and your not camping if you don't want too every night or out in the sticks.( too some it is out in the stick in places like the meseta) so it does seem at first glance Kerrygold is a novice not including a water bottle.

in Europe a lot of hikers think nothing of taking water from a fast moving stream as I do hydrating in the morning and so on. to reduce weight.I take no more than 750ml to make tea(important if your British)in case of worst case scenario make tea with my little pocket rocket stove.
I asked Kerrygold about this. English is not her first language and i discovered she has done plenty of hiking...
and some times when we already know we will take some type,of container we simply assume everybody knows this and forget to include this in our list...
she will be carrying a water bottle to use as and when for example leaving places like Carrion de los Condes. fill up with water.
with youth on her side and the speed of a gazelle she will be find

I am only supporting your post "getting there"

Why would you want to walk after sunset? Or before the sun is up? Not to see the arrows, nevermind the scenary, and all to arrive to the albergue to be told it no longer has beds or that the local bar no longer offers food? As for water being found every 5km at the most, I would research your walking plan firther or you may be a very unhappy camper, and a very dehydrated one.

all of the above is very true. the walk from Carrion de los Condes is an example of no fonts for about 17 kms
good point on jackets making you overheat and sweat if you not careful

Just thought I would mention this a lot of distance walkers know very well how to hydrate and resupply ,calculate when to take water on board. its a fine art but very doable.. I seldom carry water myself..because I know the camino very well and I am also a keen hill walker/ mountaineer......it s difficult to come on a forum first time and ask for advice when it comes to the camino because you not really away in the great outdoors without water sources to tap into .its a pilgrimage and your not camping if you don't want too every night or out in the sticks.( too some it is out in the stick in places like the meseta) so it does seem at first glance Kerrygold is a novice not including a water bottle.

in Europe a lot of hikers think nothing of taking water from a fast moving stream as I do hydrating in the morning and so on. to reduce weight.I take no more than 750ml to make tea(important if your British)in case of worst case scenario make tea with my little pocket rocket stove.
I asked Kerrygold about this. English is not her first language and i discovered she has done plenty of hiking...
and some times when we already know we will take some type,of container we simply assume everybody knows this and forget to include this in our list...
she will be carrying a water bottle to use as and when for example leaving places like Carrion de los Condes. fill up with water.
with youth on her side and the speed of a gazelle she will be find

I am only supporting your post "getting there"
Thanks @mountaingoat999 - good to know. From @Kerrygold's response to Anemone's question about water it certainly sounded as though she didn't intend to carry water with her, and I was concerned that she seemed to think there would be water available every 5km or so. Glad to hear she will have a water bottle and that she is an experienced hiker.

Getting There

This will make you laugh
in PM recently its was asumed I am a women because of the dog avatar..and I thought it was obvious I was a male

I agree with most of you, I would add a woolly hat, don't take pepper spray the wind could take it back to you and then you would be in a worst situation, don't walk after dark or before sunrise alone, and don't walk alone with head sets plugged into your ears just use your common sense. The Camino it's very safe but don't leave any money or documents in your backpack, and try to keep your pack of the floor or put it inside of a trash bag (bug prevention)

Have fun and Buen Camino

Zzotte

3. Toiletries:
a) 2 in 1 shampoo/soap,
b) toothpaste,
c) toothbrush,
d) hairbrush,
f) nail clipper
f) deodorant
4. Flashlight
7. Light TOMS shoes
8. Light flipflops
9. Hoodie
10. Pyjama
12. Longsleeve
13. Tanktop
14. Tshirt (one or two?)
15. Yoga pants x 2
20. Notebook + pen
21. Face cream
22. Sleeping bag
23. Chapstick
24. Painkillers
25. Spoon
26. Pepper gas?
27. Sewing kit
28. Earplugs

Whattdya think?

I need advice on:
I did not see walking poles in your list. I would definitely take two adjustable poles and not purchase one of those wooden poles when you get to SJPP. In regards to duct tape, yes take duct tape and wrap it around your poles. At least 10 to 15 feet on each pole. I used Easton poles. BTW, I wore out a pair of pole tips, but took a spare set with me.
In regards to gloves, I used bike gloves and they were invaluable. Yes, you need sunscreen, or at least I did in April/May of this year. Lightweight "spork" for a spoon. I would not plan on walking when it's dark, but maybe a small maglight would be okay. Toe nail clipper, not fingernail clipper.
All your clothes should be quick drying. I would carry one pair of walking shoes, not boots, and one pair of sandals (for walking and the shower). No other footwear.
Three pair of Merino wool socks and three pair of silk liners. I would pack your bag post haste. I will bet that it will be much more than 6.5 kg when you add water. Remember one liter of water equals one kg or 2.2 lbs.

underwear made of chin hair of a very rare Mongolian goat

That is so true!!!! ;)

Whilst I appreciate that there are valid reasons for trying to minimise weight for many people, sometimes in our preparations and planning we can get so focused on weight and space, that we can end up spending lots of money on new gear when we already have something that is perfectly suitable for the job.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wouldn't walk in the dark if you can avoid it, especially if you are concerned about your security. If you don't walk in the dark, a head lamp is unnecessary - the smallest key fob flashlight is all you need in the hostels.

If you do walk in the dark, be sure to wear a reflective vest.

Although the Camino is well marked, you can get lost, at which point a compass can help. I see you have a smart phone; there are free compass apps for most smartphones.

Don't walk without water; dehydration can kill. There are a few long stretches with no fountain or cafe. Buy a bottle of water or soda when you start and reuse it. Always take some water.

Have a great Camino!

Karl

I agree with most of the advice, but that packing list looks to me like quite a bit more than 6.5 kg. In November you will encounter chilly and wet weather. What will keep your legs dry? I'd also recommend light gloves, hat or buff, multiple light layers that dry quickly. (Better to take 2 light layers than one heavy hoody.)

Just out of curiosity and for fun, I was trying to imagine what one would do with 20-30 feet of duct tape, and how much it would weigh, as suggested by
In regards to duct tape, yes take duct tape and wrap it around your poles. At least 10 to 15 feet on each pole.
I guess you could fabricate the missing waterproof pants from it!

Hola and welcome to the forum

• Safety pins, bring a handful - great as gifts to other pilgrims

Here is a tip:
If you don't have one already, then buy an airline transportation sack at the outlet shop.
Normally they are made of strong synthetic material to protect your bag in transit.
Once you arrive, unpack all your gear, put the sack inside your backpack as a shell and put your gear inside the sack.
This way your gear will be 100% waterproof.

• For further organization pack your gear in zip locks.

• While you are at the outlet buy yourself a lightweight synthetic grocery bag.
This you can use as.. grocery bag, your important stuff to bring into the shower, sit on it while taking breaks, ...

• No need for duct tape. Bring 6 feet of some kind of line. The outlet shop also have some professional line/this rope which cost little for 6 feet. Thin and lightweight.

• Bring a stone with you to leave at The Iron Cross.

• I like that you are bringing your DSLR, but if you are taking analogue pictures you may want to consider an old fashion compact camera.
Weight do matter, but so do a great picture :)

•• Oh yes.. bring waterproof pants. Trust us..

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am from Washington where it rains a lot. I don't use waterproof pants but 'gators' anda poncho to stay dry while hiking.

I'll never walk without a light head-light,because if I want/need to write or read ,or need something in my gear,I will be able to do it in the dark without annoying my neighbours. Buen Camino !

I do have a waterproof jacket and pants set (Frog Togs) I use while riding my motorcycle. Breathable and 100% waterproof. Depending on where you live about $50 for the set. I have been riding with them for years and they have never failed me. about the thickness and weight of a T Shirt.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lots of good advice above, but I would like to reiterate: gloves (you will be so happy to have warm hands), walking poles (especially for the first day - we had snow and lots of mud in April), poncho that covers your pack (a nice poncho cocoon actually makes walking in the rain pleasant), bandaids, phone (make sure to turn it off when you are not using it, so the battery is not dead when you most need it to book a room or find a map), most phones have flashlights, quick dry clothing, a scarf (I used mine for multiple tasks including as a sling to ease my aching arms and shoulders), sleeping sack, and a small towel. These were the things that were our essentials.

3. Toiletries:
a) 2 in 1 shampoo/soap,
b) toothpaste,
c) toothbrush,
d) hairbrush,
f) nail clipper
f) deodorant
4. Flashlight
7. Light TOMS shoes
8. Light flipflops
9. Hoodie
10. Pyjama
12. Longsleeve
13. Tanktop
14. Tshirt (one or two?)
15. Yoga pants x 2
20. Notebook + pen
21. Face cream
22. Sleeping bag
23. Chapstick
24. Painkillers
25. Spoon
26. Pepper gas?
27. Sewing kit
28. Earplugs

Whattdya think?

I need advice on:

3. Toiletries:
a) 2 in 1 shampoo/soap,
b) toothpaste,
c) toothbrush,
d) hairbrush,
f) nail clipper
f) deodorant
4. Flashlight
7. Light TOMS shoes
8. Light flipflops
9. Hoodie
10. Pyjama
12. Longsleeve
13. Tanktop
14. Tshirt (one or two?)
15. Yoga pants x 2
20. Notebook + pen
21. Face cream
22. Sleeping bag
23. Chapstick
24. Painkillers
25. Spoon
26. Pepper gas?
27. Sewing kit
28. Earplugs

Whattdya think?

I need advice on:
Kerrygold.... I can imagine the excitement !! Wouldn't be normal if you weren't this excited. For starters, leave your fears behind you. But be wise about what you do. Grand words?? Perhaps. You will learn a lot on the camino and by the end of it .... you'd be a changed person (I pray this happens). Which Camino are you walking? I am going back to Santiago on 28 October 2015 and am still not sure which one I ought to go to. I walked The English Way a month ago. May settle for 2 weeks on my "first love" The French Way" which is where it all began for me... but we shall see. Buen Camino. BTw, you will learn to live "like a pilgrim" and discover you've actually brought more than "what you need". The spirit of The Way be with you

You won't need a compass. If you have a smart phone you can get a compass app.
Take vaseline and apply it to blister prone areas of your feet once or twice a day.
Wear two pairs of thin socks or nylons to prevent blisters.
Take a Swiss Army knife with tweasers and magnifying glass. Use the scissors as a nail clipper.
Clothes line.
If you're going to use a raincoat instead of a poncho also have rain pants. Waterproof boots are good. If you don't have waterproof boots apply vaseline to your feet if they're likely to get wet.
No thermos.
Enamel cup not necessary.
No duct tape.
Make sure all your clothing is quick dry.
Detergent to wash clothes.
Vitamins.
No camera if your smart phone camera is good.
Boots and flip flops only.
Travel with only one set of clothes to wear and one set to wash. No more than necessary. I recommend nylons under socks. They are cheap and light weight. One pair will last 3 days or more. That means you only need 2 pairs of socks instead of 4.
Guide book.
Notebook can be replaced by the voice recorder on your phone. Don't lose your phone (I did)!
Plastic bags to carry used toilet paper. You will see a lot of toilet paper on the trail.
Splitter with 2 or more outlets is good.
Take two walking poles.
Rehydration powder to mix with water at the end of the day.
Listen to your body and rest when you need to. Take good care of your feet and legs. Be in awe every moment!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello! So, I still have 3 days to go, It's my first Camino, I'm not packed yet, but I made a packlist. I'll try to make it 6,5 kgs

By the time you read my wisdom you will be well underway.

Others have said much the same: take the joy of what you encounter each day.

As for your list you know your needs and your style better than anyone. The most important thing on it is your weight limit: only you know what you can carry on a fine day. And you will work out as you go what you do not need. Your biggest difficulty will most probably be deciding how to let go of items that don't seem to be needed on voyage.

Enjoy

Haven't the time to read all the advice above but I am sure most of it is excellent.
Looking at your list: you seem to be missing a rain cover for your rucksack (rucksacks are not waterproof and you should cover yours as soon as it starts to rain), you definitely need rain gear for yourself and a water bottle with capacity of about one litre.
I have a waterproof jacket and trousers (Berghaus packlite - very light but expensive) which can be worn as an extra layer for warmth as well as keeping out rain and wind. I have never worn a poncho which I imagine is not as useful as an extra layer for warmth and is likely to be difficult to use in windy conditions.
I would not walk after dark on roads unless very well lit up and with a high visibility jacket. Nor would I walk in the dark where you cannot be sure you will not twist an ankle.
I have started walking before first light but only when I was sure of where I was going and was walking on an even surface and not too long before light. It can be very cold early on the morning and a pair of gloves were very welcome as was a scarf. I also put a buff on underneath my hat.
I note a scissors mentioned. You won't be able to carry that in cabin baggage but you can buy a cheap pair in Spain.
Hope I have not duplicated advice and this is helpful.
I like the advertisement for Irish butter.

3. Toiletries:
a) 2 in 1 shampoo/soap,
b) toothpaste,
c) toothbrush,
d) hairbrush,
f) nail clipper
f) deodorant
4. Flashlight
7. Light TOMS shoes
8. Light flipflops
9. Hoodie
10. Pyjama
12. Longsleeve
13. Tanktop
14. Tshirt (one or two?)
15. Yoga pants x 2
20. Notebook + pen
21. Face cream
22. Sleeping bag
23. Chapstick
24. Painkillers
25. Spoon
26. Pepper gas?
27. Sewing kit
28. Earplugs

Whattdya think?

I need advice on:

As you're well on the Way by now, let us all know what worked for you from the list and what didn't.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back