• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Albergue near Herias

John Honeyman

Time of past OR future Camino
Plamning Camino Frances by bike starting mid October
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Beautiful pics! Thanks...I'm thinking of this route after a stint as hospitelera in San Anton this spring. How were the accommodations over all??

Beautiful pics! Thanks...I'm thinking of this route after a stint as hospitelera in San Anton this spring. How were the accommodations over all??

Ksam, how good to see you back here! I haven't stayed in Bendueños yet but am planning to this summer. I have walked the Salvador twice, though and can tell you about accommodations. I have always stayed in Pola de Gordón (pensión), Pajares (great albergue), Pola de Lena (good albergue but with no kitchen), then Oviedo (new albergue as of last summer, seems to get good reports). This year I am planning to stay in new places, but what that means is adding a fifth day, oh well. So, day 1 will be to La Robla (I stayed in this albergue when I walked the Olvidado and it's great!), Poladura (a bare bones albergue, but there's a nice Casa Rural that everyone raves about), Bendueños (pictured above), Mieres (there is an albergue but I probably will stay in a pensión unless I happen to meet others on this route who are staying there -- the albergue is in an out of town location, not terribly well maintained according to some reports -- one forum member told me he would not want his wife to stay there alone). There is a surprising amount of accommodation on this lovely route! When would you be walking it? Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Laurie, this refugio is really good. I think I've mentioned it to you before. You don't HAVE to walk the 2km (steep, uphill) if you don't want to. It's off Camino as well. Sandra is qite happy to pick you up in her battered little Golf. The food and accommodation is first class and the view out over the valley towards the river is wonderful. Also there is a "Santiago" church next to the refugio (!) with frescoes done by "Indios" so the Virgin is dressed as a 16th century Maya princess!! Incredible!!
I do recommend this place most warmly!!

Hi, Kevin,
Your recommendation is the one that made my decision to stop here! Can't wait, and if my knee is holding out, I would love to walk from Herias, because this is one drop dead gorgeous part of Asturias.

There is a surprising amount of accommodation on this lovely route! When would you be walking it? Buen camino, Laurie
I'm hoping for mid May. My hospitelera stint is the first two weeks of May so I'd be free to head out on the 15th. I'm just trying to make sure I've enough time and all before heading home. Actually trying to finalize now!! Also means doing more hill work!!

Laurie, some have said there are "dangerous" sections....any idea exactly what they are referring too? Thanks Karin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Karin,
I think the references are probably in connection to the Puerto de Pajares. There's a very dangerous roadside stint of a few hundred m, I think. The marked camino avoids this, but people sometimes are afraid to take the Camino either because the path seems narrow or there are cows there. I've done it with no issues and I am not someone who likes walking on narrow paths way up high. But here are a few threads to get started:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-the-pueblo-de-pajares-on-the-salvador.19884/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ueblo-de-pajares-on-the-salvador-part2.20828/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/radio-buen-camino-on-el-salvador-in-7-parts.23732/

This may be WAY more information and detail than any sane person would want, but we had a lot of fun when we were trying to figure this out.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for the links. Would have responded sooner but was lost in an Internet black hole for over a week while visiting family out west. Now I'm back to planning and poking around.

Karin

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back