• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte Oct 6th Bilbao

julesq

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2015)
hi,

I've just arrive in Bilbao and my plan was to head back to LA puente De la reina to pick up the camino Frances (where I left it in April).. But just researching the camino del Norte as its nearer and

Is anyone doing this route and how busy would it be ..? I.e. As Would be nice to meet some people en route and not go totally solo..
J

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Jules
I have just walked Bilbao to Ribadeo finished Sept 30th.
and stayed in pensiones and small hotels etc; sharing with a friend.

We met lots of other I pigrims along the way .

so I think particularly if you are staying in Albergues you will meet many other pilgrims .

Regards
Del Norte was fabulous and the beauty of Asturian Coast and rural areas was a wonderful surprise for me.

Thanks so much for your reply. That's good to know. My other concern was that I've done little research and don't have a guide book.. Just a map for this route as was heading for the camino frances.

But it sounds like it should be easy to follow..

Thanks again.. Really appreciate it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks so much for your reply. That's good to know. My other concern was that I've done little research and don't have a guide book.. Just a map for this route as was heading for the camino frances.

But it sounds like it should be easy to follow..

Thanks again.. Really appreciate it!

Julesq:

The Norte, imo, is well marked. That said, there are several alternative routes, including the E-9, offering a Pilgrim choices frequently. If you have access to the internet, I suggest you look at the Gronze.com site and Eroski for this information and accommodation.

Ultreya,
Joe

thanks Jo, I will check these out. any other thoughts welcome too..
I still feel a bit of a novice..but sure that will go once I'm underway !

hi,

I've just arrive in Bilbao and my plan was to head back to LA puente De la reina to pick up the camino Frances (where I left it in April).. But just researching the camino del Norte as its nearer and

Is anyone doing this route and how busy would it be ..? I.e. As Would be nice to meet some people en route and not go totally solo..
J
Hi, I am on Frances with few friends now and plan to switch to Norte in a couple of days since I have already walked the Frances after Leon. I have guides and Internet access, I am only uncertainabout what to do because I have never done the camino solo. I am very flexible about what part/legs to walk. Perhaps we can walk one or few legs together. Please let me know if you are interested. Tks Andre

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
thanks Jo, I will check these out. any other thoughts welcome too..
I still feel a bit of a novice..but sure that will go once I'm underway !

Julesq:

Maybe I misunderstood your question. I thought you had been planning to finish the Frances from Puente la Reina but changed your mind and now decided to walk the Norte? If that is so you can just start walking from the City center and stay to the North side of the Canal/channel/river. You will come to an air bridge and cross into Portugalete. Then continue to follow the arrows to Santiago or dip South after Villaviciosa to Oviedo and pick up the Primitivo.

You have lots of choices even going back to Puente La Reina and picking up the Frances. If you decide to do that, I would recommend starting a conversation with Mendiwalker, He lives in Bilbao and has been helpful to me and many other Peregrino's. He would most likely know the best route to Puente la Reina.

Check out the Gronze.com site. It has all the Camino routes and accommodations.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Hi Joe,

You are absolutely right, my plan was to pick up where I left off in LA puente (which is easy to get to via Pamplona). But I flew into Bilbao and then thought about the camino del Norte. And liked the sound of the coastal walks.

I've checked out gronze.. But can't seem to translate it into English?!

I will definitely seek out mendiwalker too.. As may stay here another day to go to Guggenheim!

Thanks again joe
J

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Joe,

You are absolutely right, my plan was to pick up where I left off in LA puente (which is easy to get to via Pamplona). But I flew into Bilbao and then thought about the camino del Norte. And liked the sound of the coastal walks.

I've checked out gronze.. But can't seem to translate it into English?!

I will definitely seek out mendiwalker too.. As may stay here another day to go to Guggenheim!

Thanks again joe
J

Julesq:

I use Google Chrome and it auto-translates the web site.

Another tip when using this site, if you reply to someones post vs. a separate reply, it will send a flag to that individual. They are then more likely to respond in a timely fashion.

Ultreya,
Joe

hi Andre,

Where are you planning to switch to the Norte?
J
I need to be in Oviedo on Oct 18, before that I will have 10 days to walk on Camino del Norte (flexible about what legs) - thank you for answering
Andre

I need to be in Oviedo on Oct 18, before that I will have 10 days to walk on Camino del Norte (flexible about what legs) - thank you for answering
Andre
Andre,

In the last couple of days.. I decided on the camino France's and picking up where I left off.. So will postpone my camino del Norte for now. But I'm sure it will be busy.. And it does sound amazing!! Buen camino!
J

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The communal albergue at Castro Urdiales is full tonight. We saw more pilgrims on the way today than previous days.

Andre,

In the last couple of days.. I decided on the camino France's and picking up where I left off.. So will postpone my camino del Norte for now. But I'm sure it will be busy.. And it does sound amazing!! Buen camino!
J
Thank you for your answer. Buen camino!

The communal albergue at Castro Urdiales is full tonight. We saw more pilgrims on the way today than previous days.

SharonW:

That is a pretty good crowd for this time of year. How is the weather? Are the Pilgrims walkers or did you catch a cycling group?

This is another beautiful coastal town on the Norte. You have me reminiscing.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The weather has been mostly wonderful. 28degrees yesterday. Not sure about today, but quite hot. Forgot to say all the tents were full at Castro Urdiales as well. Last night in Hazas-Lienda the albergue was full.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.