• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late afternoon landing in Biarritz... Will I make it to Saint-Jean?

Kerrygold

Time of past OR future Camino
I want to walk - for the forst time - in October/November (2015)!
I have no idea where to look for bus/trains schedules for Aquitaine and I really want to have accomodation booked for the first night. So, the thing is that I'm landing in BIQ on 14th October at 17.05 and I'm not sure wether I should stay in Biarritz or if I can make it to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on the same day and stay there. Any ideas?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Welcome Kerrygold. With the time you arrive in Biarritz I would get a Taxi to Bayonne station to catch the 18.06 train.
Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I guess getting the 1806 from Bayonne will depend on whether you think an hour will be enough for any arrival formalities at the airport and what appears to be a 20 min or so transit to the station, buy your ticket, etc. I have not done this, but it sounds awfully tight on timings. You might be safer to plan on catching the later train (21.10). I understand that the pilgrim office at SJPP stays open for the arrival of pilgrims on the later train, but someone else might want to confirm this. If you are booking accommodation in advance, letting them know you could be arriving on the later train and collecting your credencial before getting to them might also be a good thing to do. Of course, you still might make it to the earlier train!

I definetely have no budget for taxis, but on the other hand, the formalities at the airport will be short, since I'm a EU citizen... I think I will take the train at 21.10. Thanks for help (So, there is no direct connection from Biarritz to SJPP? I would think that there should be...)

I definetely have no budget for taxis, but on the other hand, the formalities at the airport will be short, since I'm a EU citizen... I think I will take the train at 21.10. Thanks for help (So, there is no direct connection from Biarritz to SJPP? I would think that there should be...)
It's about €20 from the airport to the station takes 1/2 hour or so

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

It should be no more than 5 minutes between your plane arriving and getting to the bus stop - the airport is between Biarritz on the coast and Bayonne - the railway line stays inland and hence goes through Bayonne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On 14 October there is a train/bus combo leaving Bayonne for SJPdP at 18:06. See more here--https://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine[/QUOTE

Oct

Mspath

I know about the bus combo...

when I used the sncf site as I do it only showed 14:56..which I thought was strange..
so I checked the Bonjour La France and the same came up.
just checked the Ter site and it shows what I expected the 18:06 as the last Train on the 14th Oct.
I know there is a timetable change (winter)around these date according to who's train expert site you read..

Last edited:
So, let me clarify it: I first take the bus to the train station in Bayonne and take a train that will take me to SJPP? Or...?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
inside airport main small terminal head for the exit on the left.. then out side almost immediately is the bus stop on your left......
you normally have about 15 minutes to play with at Bayonne.......just get on the train and the ticket person will take your money(if you have time and no people waiting you can buy a ticket.. they speak English ......it is tight sometimes but I have done it many times..

transfer from the train to coach at Cambo les bains....leave train wait in carpark.. coach is included in the ticket price (engineering works)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You're a gem, mountaingoat999!

I landed in Biarritz (April) at a similar time. I took the bus to Bayonne but due to heavy traffic just missed the last train/ bus to SJPdP (18:06). It was my first Camino challenge in letting go of my carefully prepared plans . I cancelled the Albergue in SJPdP and stayed in a small hotel/Pension in Bayonne

Based on my experience if I was travelling again I would take a taxis or be prepared to take the very late train (not running in April) or stay in Bayonne. I didn't see any other Pilgrim that evening but I would also have been happy to share a lift.

As it turned out - once I accepted that I would not make the connection I relaxed a lot, enjoyed a meal in Bayonne, was a lot more chilled the next morning and on the bus were a number of Pilgrims that became great friends. It always surprises me how the Camino gives you what you need.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I landed in Biarritz (April) at a similar time. I took the bus to Bayonne but due to heavy traffic just missed the last train/ bus to SJPdP (18:06). It was my first Camino challenge in letting go of my carefully prepared plans . I cancelled the Albergue in SJPdP and stayed in a small hotel/Pension in Bayonne

Based on my experience if I was travelling again I would take a taxis or be prepared to take the very late train (not running in April) or stay in Bayonne. I didn't see any other Pilgrim that evening but I would also have been happy to share a lift.

As it turned out - once I accepted that I would not make the connection I relaxed a lot, enjoyed a meal in Bayonne, was a lot more chilled the next morning and on the bus were a number of Pilgrims that became great friends. It always surprises me how the Camino gives you what you need.

Just to confirm that the very late train (21:10) only runs on Fridays from September onwards - but do not fear, as Kevin said, there will probably be others on the flight also looking to catch that train so you will have an early introduction to the Camino collective spirit

I have no idea where to look for bus/trains schedules for Aquitaine and I really want to have accomodation booked for the first night. So, the thing is that I'm landing in BIQ on 14th October at 17.05 and I'm not sure wether I should stay in Biarritz or if I can make it to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on the same day and stay there. Any ideas?

As has been pointed out the last TER service from Bayonne to SJPdP leaves at 1806.

Given your arrival time of 1705 you have zero chance of making the train on time even if you take a taxi. Remember that airlines consider arrival time as the point which they touch the runway.

If you want to try to beat the odds ...

Chronoplus bus 14 takes 40 minutes to travel from the airport to the Bayonne station. Last chance leaves 1721 arrives 1800.

Chronoplus bus C to Gare Biarritz. Bus 1727 - 1737 then take 1747 SNCF train to Gare Bayonne ... arrives 1753 ... in time to catch 1806 train and bus to SJPdP.

I would recommend not making a reservation for accommodations based on such timings.

Your only other options are to take a taxi or stay the night in Bayonne.

Express Bourricot is a private hire taxi based in SJPdP that specializes in catering to pilgrims. This service is available by prearrangement only.

http://www.expressbourricot.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As has been pointed out the last TER service from Bayonne to SJPdP leaves at 1806.

Chronoplus bus 14 takes 40 minutes to travel from the airport to the train station.

Given your arrival time of 1705 you have zero chance of making the train on time even if you take a taxi. Remember that airlines consider arrival time as the point which they touch the runway.

If you want to try to beat the odds ... try Chronoplus bus C to Gare Biarritz. Take 1747 SNCF train to Gare Bayonne ... arrives 1753 ... in time to catch 1806 train and bus to SJPdP.

Your only other options are to take a taxi or stay the night in Bayonne.

Express Bourricot is a private hire taxi based in SJPdP that specializes in catering to pilgrims. This service is available by prearrangement only.

http://www.expressbourricot.com/

Done this so many times and made it
you can still make it to the bus,which leaves at 17 21 from the airport.......and that is just enough time to make the bus .....done it many times.. its very quick from leaving the plane to exit point
the bus normally arrives just shy of its intended time out side of peak times...sometimes arriving with 1o minutes before..giving you 15 minutes in all. you need 5 to do it. Bayonne is a small station and you can pay on the train when the ticket inspector comes around..

If you want to try to beat the odds ... try Chronoplus bus C to Gare Biarritz. Take 1747 SNCF train to Gare Bayonne ... arrives 1753 ... in time to catch 1806 train and bus to SJPdP.

You will be fine with the taxi - Ryanair typically gets away on time or even early from Stansted and Biarritz airport is so small that from wheels down to bus stop will be no more than 10 minutes

Having said that, double check the train time from Biarritz to Bayonne, but it does seems like a brilliant suggestion - it's only 2km to SNCF Biarritz rather then the 9km to SNCF Bayonne - so a taxi would be much cheaper if time becomes short

Hi @Kerrygold are you on a time schedule? If not, I’m with @Kevin_A here. It’s already late afternoon when you land in Biarritz. Forget the stress of rushing to make the last train, and overnight in Bayonne instead. Get the 11:10 train in the morning to St Jean, visit the Pilgrim Office, and hike to Valcarlos or Orisson in the afternoon.

By the way, my sister and I are staying in St Jean on the 14 Oct. She is walking to Valcarlos on the 15th, and I am going to Orisson (make a reservation if you intend to stop there), and we will meet up again in Roncesvalles, so we will probably see you somewhere along the trail! Jill (and Sally).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So, there is no direct connection from Biarritz to SJPP?
The airport is in Biarritz and the bus station/train station is in Bayonne, so, yes, you do need to get from one to the other. Good luck on the timing (you have probably already made or missed the connecting bus/train). Buen camino!

I just checked the SNCF TER app for departures Bayonne SJPP on Monday, 19th October and there are only 7 am, 10 am and 23:45??? No train at 18:06? Is this correct?

I just checked the SNCF TER app for departures Bayonne SJPP on Monday, 19th October and there are only 7 am, 10 am and 23:45??? No train at 18:06? Is this correct?
No, it is not correct. For 19 October the SNCF/TER Aquitaine site show departures from Bayonne to SJPdP at 07:45, 11:10, 14:56, and 18:06.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for confirmation. I see that on the web site now, but for some reason the iPhone app SNCF-TER has some strange information. I am certain now that it actually shows times in my local time zone which is 8hrs earlier :).

Thank you for confirmation. I see that on the web site now, but for some reason the iPhone app SNCF-TER has some strange information. I am certain now that it actually shows times in my local time zone which is 8hrs earlier :).

playing up for me the other day checking times...the Bonjour La France does not show a 18:06 pm weird. where as Mspath shows there is as normal

Hi - we (3 girls) also arrive at 17.05 on the 15th October and have our accomodation booked in SJpdP on the evening of the 15th. To get the correct train it looks like we have only 40 minutes to get off the plane and get a bus to the train station, which i think is just to tight on time. We didnt mind getting a taxi but at 120 euros it is just too expensive. My friend who has been before had suggested Caroline at EXPRESS BOURRICOT but she is not available. Not sure what to do?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi - we (3 girls) also arrive at 17.05 on the 15th October and have our accomodation booked in SJpdP on the evening of the 15th. To get the correct train it looks like we have only 40 minutes to get off the plane and get a bus to the train station, which i think is just to tight on time. We didnt mind getting a taxi but at 120 euros it is just too expensive. My friend who has been before had suggested Caroline at EXPRESS BOURRICOT but she is not available. Not sure what to do?

The last train leaves Bayonne at 1806. You likely won't be able to catch it.

You could try taking a taxi to Cambo les Bains (about 16 km). The SNCF TER bus from there to SJPdP leaves 1839 (about ten minutes after the train from Bayonne arrives). I have no idea what the taxi would cost.

Otherwise your only option is to change either your flight arrangements so you arrive earlier or change your accommodations for a night in Bayonne.

We didn't mind getting a taxi but at 120 euros it is just too expensive.
That is the fare to SJPdP, not to the train station. Forty minutes from the airport to the station is conceivable, but a very tight schedule! Good luck! A night in Bayonne can be enjoyable.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
thanks so much!
We booked these flights as they where good prices - so did not reckon on 120 euros to get a cab to SJPdP - its more than the flights!
you live and learn!
My friend had told me about a lady called Caroline that does a mini bus service and we where convinced this would work out, but she is not available.

We might have to just try our luck with forty minutes from the airport to the train station in a cab!

If the flight isnt delayed, then we can just run from the plane, jump into a cab and try for the Bayonne train at 18.06! not the most relaxed start!!

thanks so much for all your help!

thanks so much!
We booked these flights as they where good prices - so did not reckon on 120 euros to get a cab to SJPdP - its more than the flights!
you live and learn!
My friend had told me about a lady called Caroline that does a mini bus service and we where convinced this would work out, but she is not available.

We might have to just try our luck with forty minutes from the airport to the train station in a cab!

If the flight isnt delayed, then we can just run from the plane, jump into a cab and try for the Bayonne train at 18.06! not the most relaxed start!!

thanks so much for all your help!

your do it in a taxi to Bayonne Gare..taxi take around 20 mins.. thereabouts..

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back