• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel to Camino April 2016 - airline suggestions please?

Hopeful Australian

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello. I'm planning to go to Spain next April, probably start walking at St Jean in about 2nd week of April 2016. Timing planned to avoid the Easter crowds.

I'd be deeply grateful for a few recommendations re airline / route / stopover points flying from Adelaide, though Sydney is also a possibility.

A friend visits Europe every couple of years & stops in Singapore for about 24 hours ... but a relative goes via Dubai. They are both seasoned travellers. I am most definitely not, and would like suggestions about where to stop, or if you have a better idea, I'd like to hear that.

Currently I'm thinking of arriving at and maybe also leaving from Madrid. Trying to keep it simple.

Also, not sure whether to book for myself or go via a travel agent. The dilemma here is anxiety over some beginner's mistake ... or am I wrong about this?

Any wise advice welcomed,

Trisha

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
used Singapore airlines several times one of the best for long haul from down under. stop over in Singapore...good for transit

I found Singapore airlines to be one if the not the leader...with only a few close contenders...for comfort & service (Singapore airport nice as a transit airport)

would be better to go see a travel agent if you not familiar with flying and seat selection.upgrades.....then you can sit down and be relaxed...do you want aisle seat or window..the better seating positions on a aircraft depending on aircraft type and layout.....such as not near toilets to minimise traffic with passengers walking backward and forward..for long haul you really want to be comfortable and take your time selecting

some of the options will include a short layover for connection 1 hour plus to 8 hrs and even 30 plus hrs . so my advice in your situation if use a agent

tip when flying long haul with Singapore airlines/ ask for the vegetarian option, they serve you first and its far better food.(I am not a veggie)

Madrid would be my suggestion also.....

I would also see a travel agent asap to get the ball rolling for price

Last edited:
So, from Australia it is possible to fly into Europe by going
  • west (through Singapore, Bangkok or Dubai)
  • east (through Auckland or direct to the US)
  • north (through Hong Kong or one of the Chinese mainland hubs)
All carriers have to fly through a national home port. For Qantas, that is easy, but other carriers need to go via an airport in their country. So Singapore will not be able to fly you to Europe via the US, but Air NZ can. Air NZ does not go through Singapore to Europe directly from Australia, Cathay will take you to Hong Kong and Thai Airways to Bangkok, etc, etc. At this stage, Qantas flies via Dubai, and no longer through Singapore. Which is a really long winded way of saying that the carrier has more to do with where your stopover might be on the way to Europe than anything else.

If you are traveling on a budget, you will get limited seat selection opportunities unless you are willing to pay extra. Travel agents will be able to select seats during the booking process, but some seat choices will attract additional charges. As @mountaingoat999 says, if you start booking early, your travel agent will have a greater selection of choices so that you can avoid the worst parts of the aircraft.

I haven't flown with Singapore for some time, but the old trick of ordering a special meal to get served first hasn't worked on Qantas, Virgin, BA, Thai, MAS or any of the other carriers I have flown with for some time. They have all worked out how to serve any special meals in the normal run of the meal service, and you no longer see cabin crew delivering special meals one at a time before they serve the rest of the passengers. If you do have special needs, get them recorded when you make the booking, but don't expect to gain any advantage from that like getting your meal first.

Even traveling overseas from Australia fairly regularly, my wife and I will still use a travel agent for more complex travel. If you are just booking a simple return trip, you might want to do that yourself on the web, but as the arrangements get more complex, the more difficult it becomes to find the right connections even if you have some experience at this. That's when you are likely to find yourself arriving in Heathrow on Qantas and having only an hour to get across London to Stanstead for your Ryanair flight!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It was 7 years ago we had used the veggie request on Singapore airlines "V"and got served first......I know this, I was on the flight...never tried it on other airlines .. must remember not to have a sense of humour ...when reading some peoples posts

all London Stansted flights to Biarritz depart in the afternoon everyday in April at 14 :05 pm..from heathrow, fastest way to stansted is using the national express coach. from 1 hr 20min to 1 hr 40 mins regular 2 each hour £27 single

• SQ278Singapore Airlines(Airbus A330-300)
    Economy
  • DepartsAdelaide (ADL)09:15 (14 Apr)
  • ArrivesSingapore (SIN)15:10 (14 Apr)
  • Layover time8hrs 20mins

• SQ322Singapore Airlines(Airbus Industrie A380-800)
    Economy
  • DepartsSingapore (SIN)23:30 (14 Apr)
  • ArrivesLondon (LHR)05:55 (15 Apr)
  • Layover time1hrs 35mins

• BA458British Airways(Airbus A320)
    Economy
  • DepartsLondon (LHR)07:30 (15 Apr)
  • ArrivesMadrid (MAD)10:55 (15 Apr)
  • Total travel time33hrs 10mins

-------------------------------------------------------------

Economy
  • Layover time8hrs

• SQ328Singapore Airlines(Boeing 777-300ER)
    Economy
  • DepartsSingapore (SIN)23:10 (14 Apr)
  • ArrivesMunich (MUC)05:35 (15 Apr)
  • Layover time2hrs 55mins

• LH1800Lufthansa(Airbus A320)
    Economy
  • DepartsMunich (MUC)08:30 (15 Apr)
  • ArrivesMadrid (MAD)11:10 (15 Apr)
  • Total travel time33hrs 25min

A few seats left Available

Economy
  • Layover time8hrs 45mins

• SQ26Singapore Airlines(Airbus Industrie A380-800)
    Economy
  • DepartsSingapore (SIN)23:55 (14 Apr)
  • ArrivesFrankfurt (FRA)06:40 (15 Apr)
  • Layover time2hrs 40mins

• LH1112Lufthansa(Airbus Industrie A320 Sharklets)
    Economy
  • DepartsFrankfurt (FRA)09:20 (15 Apr)
  • ArrivesMadrid (MAD)11:55 (15 Apr)
  • Total travel time34hrs 10mins

Available

Last edited:
@mountaingoat999 - don't give up your day job! I've just priced these and they come out about 25% dearer than the cheapest currently being picked up by the momondo app, with travel times about 40% longer than the shortest option. Zuji is giving similar results. If the OP were going to spend that much, I would recommend one of the more direct routes, eg through Dubai on Emirates. That could save 10 or 11 hours over the options you have proposed for about $100 more. I would pay that not to have another 10 hours of travel time, but that might not be Trisha's priority here.

If cost is the major driver there are cheaper flight sequences that are still shorter than going to London or Frankfurt, eg using Qatar (flying out of Melbourne), at a one-way saving of around $256 (or 20%).

Given what seems to be a fascination with promoting Singapore Airlines, the best option that I can see on a quick search would be using them to fly into Zurich and then Swissair to Madrid. It's still about 32 hours, and just under $1100 one way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
don't have a day job Dougfitz , can afford to be retired early.
was not looking for price comparison this time around..did look at emirates briefly seemed good...preference is person to person as you know. I would always spend more for a better seat than pay less and suffer.....and other extras.....I know flight center are good agents to arrange flights if your flexible on the dates and given enough time they can get you reasonable discounts....I do it myself....

I have flown emirates and NZ, but mentioned Singapore airlines because I like them..food ,service,comfort.....and they were the first to bring out the bigger and better aircraft..with beds....

I fly Korean out of Auckland to Paris. Outbound journey gets you a night's accommodation as part of the price (mine was at the Hyatt). Buses, meals part of package, and two flights of similar duration. Homeward there is only 90 minutes, so the trick is to notify the flight crew and they hustle you off first and accompany you to security. Sometimes the Incheon-Seoul leg is with Air France.

Hello. I'm planning to go to Spain next April, probably start walking at St Jean in about 2nd week of April 2016. Timing planned to avoid the Easter crowds.

I'd be deeply grateful for a few recommendations re airline / route / stopover points flying from Adelaide, though Sydney is also a possibility.

A friend visits Europe every couple of years & stops in Singapore for about 24 hours ... but a relative goes via Dubai. They are both seasoned travellers. I am most definitely not, and would like suggestions about where to stop, or if you have a better idea, I'd like to hear that.

Currently I'm thinking of arriving at and maybe also leaving from Madrid. Trying to keep it simple.

Also, not sure whether to book for myself or go via a travel agent. The dilemma here is anxiety over some beginner's mistake ... or am I wrong about this?

Trisha

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
put your dates etc into skyscanner.net

I find them a useful price comparison website.

Yesterday Flight Centre booked me a flight on Korean Air from Sydney-Seoul-Madrid and the same in reverse coming home. They also booked me a flight from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid to connect with the homeward flight. This will be the 4th time I have flown with Korean. The only complaint I have with them is the early morning departure from Sydney. I have to stay in Sydney the previous night so as to be at the airprort on time. I stay at the Central Youth Hostel, thus getting in some practice with double bunks.

Yesterday Flight Centre booked me a flight on Korean Air from Sydney-Seoul-Madrid and the same in reverse coming home. They also booked me a flight from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid to connect with the homeward flight. This will be the 4th time I have flown with Korean. The only complaint I have with them is the early morning departure from Sydney. I have to stay in Sydney the previous night so as to be at the airprort on time. I stay at the Central Youth Hostel, thus getting in some practice with double bunks.
I know the travel agent my wife and I use will often find fares on Korean Air and Air China that are quite competitive, but don't appear on the fare aggregation sites.

Even coming from Canberra, we have the same issue with early morning departures from Sydney. Unless the fare is really low, the costs of the overnight stay can make that option more expensive overall. That together with the extra 10-12 hours of total travel time generally sway us towards flights that leave Sydney a bit later, where we can make the connection departing the same day from Canberra. The OP is from Adelaide. I know Emirates fly out of there, but linking up with any of the other major carriers will require a domestic leg to another international departure point.

I am not a great believer in recommending an airline because it is first with a aircraft type or has beds in a travel class I cannot afford. I think for most Australians I know who are on a limited budget and will travel economy, the key issues are going to be the cost and overall travel time. Clearly the costs of the traditional full-service carriers like Singapore and Qantas often make them less attractive, but we keep an eye on their sales, and good prices do come up on these carriers.

We subscribe to both airline and travel agency newsletters from about a year out from any future trips so we get early information on sales etc. In most cases, limited numbers of seats are released at sale prices, and if they have already been taken at the times one might prefer, when they are available might not be suitable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I too will be flying to Madrid in April of 2016, but for a bike Camino. I have been playing with airlines a bit. I will be going from Seattle WA USA to Madrid. What I have found is that there are some discount airlines like Ryan Air, Easy Jet, etc. that have what seem like quite inexpensive flights out of Santiago, but aren't normally listed in the search engines used by major booking companies and some travel agents. What you might want to do is talk to your TA about which airline they booked you on for your Santiago de Compostela to Madrid leg. and compare to say the Ryan Air price.

Good luck!

Trisha

Hi Trisha
As you'll see from the posts above, it's usually a matter of balancing cost and convenience or comfort. It can be slightly more expensive to take the most direct routes, but you balance that with the reduced stress and aggravation caused by multiple changes and/or long waits at strange airports (which can be all part of the fun for some, or a huge stress for others). Only you can decide on your priorities, so whether you are prepared to pay a little more for an easier trip (it's often not much more), or if you don't mind a more complicated trip if it means saving some money.

If you are looking at flying into Madrid, your most direct option as mentioned above would be Emirates from Adelaide, via Dubai (no other stops). I haven't flown with them but I have heard good reports. If you go to Sydney first, there are a few other options, also with one stop. If you are open to more than one stop there are more options still. And then if you decide to fly into a different destination airport (eg Paris or Barcelona), you have another whole range of options.

My two cents' worth would be, if you're not an experienced or especially confident traveller, to go with the minimum number of stops possible. Whether you have a longer stopover halfway would be up to you, I prefer to just get there, but that's just me. My other two cents' worth would be to decide first of all (before you go to the travel agent, if you use one) on where you want to land - Madrid or somewhere else. There are so many different options it can be all quite headache-inducing, so fixing one thing (your destination), will allow you to start narrowing down the possibilities. And if you find there's just nothing affordable going that way, then you can change. For straightforward trips (just there and back) I always book online direct with the airline, having decided where I want to end up and then who has the best route and price to get there, but I have traveled quite a lot. A travel agent may be your best bet if you are less confident or if you want to add in additional flights such as Santiago-Madrid as suggested above, or if you decide you want to fly home from a different airport.

Whatever you decide - enjoy the planning, and buen camino!

I too will be flying to Madrid in April of 2016, but for a bike Camino. I have been playing with airlines a bit. I will be going from Seattle WA USA to Madrid. What I have found is that there are some discount airlines like Ryan Air, Easy Jet, etc. that have what seem like quite inexpensive flights out of Santiago, but aren't normally listed in the search engines used by major booking companies and some travel agents. What you might want to do is talk to your TA about which airline they booked you on for your Santiago de Compostela to Madrid leg. and compare to say the Ryan Air price.

Good luck!
I always check other sites before I give the go ahead to the travel agent. I am flying Iberia from Compostela to Madrid, on a flight that is only $16 dearer than Ryanair but leaves, and arrives, at a far more suitable time.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Trisha :) I remember my first international adventure as being quite daunting also! Once you're on the road for a while, you'll find your own groove and have experiences that remind you that everything always works out exactly as it should :)

On a practical note, I use Skyscanner to compare flight costs, as I like to find the cheapest flights so I can enjoy more time and more places on the actual trip. Because it is a price comparison site, I always try to do a couple of things:

1. Set up 'price alerts' so I get an email each day about current prices. I plug in a few different dates and a few different routes so I can get a feel for when and where is the cheapest way to go.

2. I try to book through reliable sellers (by googling their name and 'review') or directly through the airline (which may be the second- or third-cheapest option on Skyscanner). In Australia, we also have the bonus of Flight Centre's 'Price Beat Guarantee', in which they'll beat any advertised flight sold by an Australian business by $1. I often find the flight I want via Skyscanner, then call Flight Centre and book through there. This way, I get the cheapest flight and the guarantee of having booked through somewhere reliable that I can contact should any problems arise.

In regards to where to fly through, they're all fun and exciting. I always try to get a long enough stop-over so that I can leave the airport and have a meal somewhere to at least have the chance to experience the place a little bit. Singapore and Dubai are both fabulous options, so I wouldn't stress too much about making a decision either way- just go wherever your chosen flight takes you and you'll find enjoyable things :)

I hope that helps at least a little! Best of luck :)

It is certainly worthwhile searching for other options, but one thing to keep in mind is that if a travel agent is doing the job properly, they will have booked all the connecting legs through one carrier, even if they involve flying some legs with another carrier. This is difficult to do with Ryanair and some of the other low-cost airlines. The effect of traveling on a single ticket is that the one carrier has responsibility for your whole journey, including covering things like providing suitable alternatives if there are delays, covering accommodation if there are extensive delays, etc.

Tried my son's suggestion last time. Looked for a return flight Singapore to Paris (Paris is always a good idea, and I love the TGV trip to Bayonne/Biarritz) and return from Madrid to Singapore.)
The Australia Singapore return sector was taken with Scoot.
The reasoning being;
Who can do Aus to Sing cheaper than Scoot?
You can program a Sing stopover both ways.
Singapore is a major airline hub with greater choice of airlines and therefore competition on the Singapore to Europe leg.
Finally wound up flying from Sing with Finnair via Helsinki, another stopover plus, into Amsterdam. Trained down Paris then to Biarritz.
Flew back from Madrid, Finnair again, via Helsinki, to Sing.
As mentioned in above posts, I researched with various web sites then took the price and flights to Flight Centre so as to have a local contact in case problems arose.
They didn't like it as the price was so good they couldn't match it. But they agreed after I pressured their head office.
Regards
Gerard

Hi Trisha, you have already received lots of advice but for what it is worth I am leaving SYD on May 1 2016 (just after you)I have flown on quite a few airlines and I have booked SQ as I believe they are definitely the better option and price wise there isn't much difference. I am flying SYD to Paris then to Biarritz(total flying time is approx. 24hours - including stop overs- make sure you pay attention to the stopover times or you could be traveling for over 30hours :oops:) where I have booked an air B&B for two nights to recover from jetlag. I will then catch the train to SJPD and begin walking on the 5th. I am flying home out of Barcelona. I intend to catch a train from Santiago to Madrid and have a couple of days there and then onto Barcelona for a few days before flying home. I haven't booked anything other than my flight so that I am not tied to a schedule. You can change your return date online without charge or through a travel agent for a minimal fee I believe.
I hope this helps :) and Buena Camino !

Trisha

Hi Trisha
I'm also from Adelaide. My husband and I walked the Camino in April/May this year. We travel overseas often and have flown with all the major airlines both directly out of Adelaide and also via Melbourne, Sydney and the rest of the country. This time we flew with Emirates via Dubai to Paris and then took the train directly from the airport to Bordeaux. We had a couple of days there to get over jet lag, left our travel cases and clothes and took the train and bus substitute to St Jean. After the Camino, we took the train back to Bordeaux, which was a fabulous way to ease back. We had a couple more days in Bordeaux - with all our clean travel clothes - and then took the train back to Paris.

If you are really worried about booking fares etc go to a Flight Centre (this is just one example and I have no affiliation with them) and discuss your options. They can advise and book buses, trains etc as well as flights. You will find them very helpful and the prices quite competitive. Also, if you have any issues overseas, they offer 24/7 assistance.

PS if you would like any more information or just a chat, we're here in Adelaide and would be happy to meet with you.

I am also from Adelaide and walked the camino May 2015 ,flew ADL /CDG (Paris) via Dubai arrive 13.00 at 1430 caught train to Bordeaux overnight cheap hotel ,morning train to Bayonne then bus to SJPP.
On the way home, train from Santiago to Barcelona then flew back to Dubai and Adelaide .

As an Emirate Airlines regular ( just back from cycling from Pamplona to Santiago) I would agree with marco (above). As anyone from Oz know it's a long day to Paris of Madrid so the less stops the better. Buen Camino

Trisha
Hi Trisha
I will be going on Easter Monday from Melbourne with Singapore air line.
Leaving Melbourne 16-40 arriving in Paris 7-30 next day a total of less then 24 hours and only about 2.5 hours stop over in Singapore.
You can even catch a train to Bayonne from the airport and from there to SJPDP.
You should check it out as that flight go every day.

Andre

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Trisha
Last year my wife and I started our Camino in St Jean on April 30. We are planning to walk again next year leaving St Jean on about the 8th April.
We flew Emirates to Barcelona via Dubai (2 hr stopover on the way, 3 day stopover on the return). Stayed overnight in Barcelona on the way, then train to St Jean via Irun and Bayonne (whole day). Rest day in St Jean then started our walk the next day. Learning for us: avoid Roncesvalles on 30th April as it was full of people who came in by bus to take advantage of the 1st May holiday.
Maybe we'll see you on the Camino.

For the last 3 years I've travelled Melbourne to Dublin (24 hrs) return with Etihad Airways, rest day in Dublin. Dublin to Biarritz (2hrs)
Ryan Air, shared taxi to St Jean. Walked to Santiago (1st time 30 days, 2nd time 25 days) the Santiago to Dublin with Aer Lingus, then
Dublin to Melbourne.

I wanted to get points on my Virgin Velocity card so I ended up flying Silk Air/Singapore Airlines from Darwin to Singapore to Barcelona. Then picked up a Vueling flight down to Sevilla to start the VDLP. For the home trip I booked a flight out of Paris to Abu Dhabi to Perth all via Etihad. Ended up flying to Barcelona from Santiago as I could not get a train on the day I wanted to leave and went via Vueling. Also picked up a Vueling flight to Paris. Vueling is your Jetstar equivalent but does the job. Couldn't make myself fly RyanAir despite the low cost after hearing about some bad experiences a friend had.

Etihad and Singapore Air are great and I would happily fly them again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last year my wife and I started our Camino in St Jean on April 30. We are planning to walk again next year leaving St Jean on about the 8th April.
We flew Emirates to Barcelona via Dubai (2 hr stopover on the way, 3 day stopover on the return). Stayed overnight in Barcelona on the way, then train to St Jean via Irun and Bayonne (whole day). Rest day in St Jean then started our walk the next day. Learning for us: avoid Roncesvalles on 30th April as it was full of people who came in by bus to take advantage of the 1st May holiday.
Maybe we'll see you on the Camino.

I too have planned to walk the Camino leaving St Jean on 8th April....Might see you early en route.

Trisha

Trisha

Hi Trisha, I'm leaving from Adelaide too (31 March) flying Emirates via Dubai to Madrid...it seemed the most straightforward and good flight times.. leave Adelaide at night.. I booked flight with Hoffman Travel who have been excellent. (earlybird flights available to end of month) I'll stay in Madrid for a few days to recover from long flight and intend to arrive in St Jean by 7th April to head off the following day. Might see you on the trail!

Our last two trips have been via Dubai to Madrid on Emirates. It's a good airline - a bit more leg room than on many other planes, reasonable food, and the staff are attentive and numerous. Unfortunately, since the partnership with Qantas, the leg between Sydney and Dubai is often packed out. No chance of getting enough free seats to lie flat. I remember those days with fondness!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am also from Adelaide and walked the camino May 2015 ,flew ADL /CDG (Paris) via Dubai arrive 13.00 at 1430 caught train to Bordeaux overnight cheap hotel ,morning train to Bayonne then bus to SJPP.
On the way home, train from Santiago to Barcelona then flew back to Dubai and Adelaide .
I just checked Qantas/Emirates there is an "Early Bird Special"for flights ADL/Paris(CDG) and Lisbon ,Madrid ,and Baracelona /ADL.
Finishes 11/Nov 15.
Would book myself but I am still dodging flying saucepans ,after going too long last year.

My son travelled with Singapore Airlines recently, booked by his firm. After receiving the tickets he heard they were offering a free stopover in Singapore. He went directly to Singapore Airlines office where they agreed not only to paying his transfer and hotel costs, but also gave him tickets to several attractions.
Regards
Gerard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.