• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Services in English in the Cathedral of Santiago 2015 - please share with others

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We hope to arrive on a Sunday afternoon so that will be a lovely way to end our Camino - instead of waiting until the Monday. Thank you for your work in organising all this Johnnie.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you John. I imagine it took a huge amount of time and phone calls to organise this.

Make sure you arrive early. In 2014 it was in a smaller chapel and we were jammed in like a subway car. Excellent service though and well worth attending.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just a suggestion, but maybe the wording of the last line should be changed from "Pilgrims of all faiths and none are very welcome" to "Pilgrims of all faiths, agnostics, and atheists are welcome" to clarify that ALL (not none) are very welcome! ;)

Just a suggestion, but maybe the wording of the last line should be changed from "Pilgrims of all faiths and none are very welcome" to "Pilgrims of all faiths, agnostics, and atheists are welcome" to clarify that ALL (not none) are very welcome! ;)

I'm sorry about the shorthand. But I'm glad you so clearly understood what it meant:)

Thanks for this information. We won't arrive in Santiago until November - is there any English Mass then? (We were expecting to go to the noon Pilgrim Mass in Spanish anyway, but just checking.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A HUGE highlight of my last Camino.
Thank you, very inspiring, as I'm getting ready to do my first camino one of my concerns is getting lost. What advise can you give me?

If you are walking the French route, it is nearly impossible to get lost. Always stay with the yellow arrows and if you don't see one for a while, go back to the last one and see where it points.

We have heard from Johnnie that the English services are Monday to Saturday in the chapel. On Sunday the services are at the main altar and so presumably in Spanish. Thanks for the added info Johnnie.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
John,
I thought of printing out your notice and putting the pilgrim blessing on the back to give to English speaking pilgrims that I meet, but I am a little confused. Is the Mass in English on the main altar or in the little chapel?. I cannot remember the name of that chapel, just remember it is opposite confessional number 14.
Thanks for all you do for pilgrims.

Lydia

Hola Lydia

The Masses in English are in the Chapel of Nuestra Senora de Soledad. There will be signs in the Cathedral and announcements made before the masses.

Thanks

John

Last edited:
We went to the pilgrim mass yesterday when we arrived, and it was a fantastic and moving experience but without Spanish I could only participate in my head. So to be able to go to the English mass this morning was absolutely lovely. The priest asked us all to introduce ourselves by name, where we were from and where we had walked from, and it was wonderful to hear so many different voices - American, Canadian, Irish, a few of us Brits, Dutch, Mexican - and a guy who lives just across the road :) And it was very special indeed to have the Pilgrim Blessing in English. Thanks to everyone involved in organising it. x

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And it was very special indeed to have the Pilgrim Blessing in English. Thanks to everyone involved in organising it. x

Agreed, JaneI! I attended a couple weeks ago and I loved hearing the Pilgrim Blessing, as well as the Scriptures, read in Father Joe's soft Irish accent. He made us feel very welcome and a part of things the entire service. Definitely a highlight of the day.
Faith

I stayed in SdC for four days after completing the Caminho portugues last week, and attending the 10:30am English mass became a vital part of my daily routine. I found the liturgy to be reverent and prayerful, and Father Joe and Father Juan Carlos gave thoughtful homilies that spoke directly to our experience as pilgrims. It was a true blessing to be able to take part, and I hope I can help out the next time I visit SdC.

I went to the English mass this morning, and it was a real highlight of my Camino. Thank you, Camino chaplaincy, for the vibrant and meaningful service.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well it will be a first. I have found it very rarely that you can find a priest for English confession , so I just gave up and therefore never went to Mass .

Well it isn't quite a first Nathaniel but the ministry is relatively new - the season May - October 2015 was the second year Mass and confession has been available daily in English (and Irish) in the Cathedral of Santiago. This will continue in 2016 - more details later.

May - October 2015 was the second year Mass and confession has been available daily in English (and Irish) in the Cathedral of Santiago.
Your answer has nothing to say on my question. there are confessors there for most nationalities..but try to find one in English that was my basic question
Isn't that exactly what he did?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In the Cathedral of Santiago confession in English is available with Fr Juan Carlos at confessional number 9 Monday to Friday both morning and afternoon.

From May - mid October the Camino Chaplaincy priest hears confession in English every morning and afternoon every day except Wednesday at confessional number 13.

Wednesday is the English chaplain's day off when Fr Juan Carlos stands in. He also serves as the hospital chaplain at weekends when the English chaplain stands in.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you @JohnnieWalker and I apologise for not getting to this thread early enough. I have removed one of the posts.
This forum is not a place for aggression and unnecessary hostility, particularly not towards those trying to assist their fellow pilgrims.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No English masses when I was there beginning of November. If I remember correctly a notice said they stop 15th October. Disappointed!

Have been to a few masses here. Splendid is all I can say. Thank you for posting. BTW ... what about the winter months, JohnnieWalker?

Yes the Camino Chaplaincy season runs from May - Mid October. By the end of October pilgrim numbers drip considerably, some airline companies stop of reduce flights to Santiago and the Chaplain needs to go home!

We have recently started recruiting priests for next year for Santiago and out on the Camino. I am pleased to say that the early response is very promising. The Same Chaplain (Fr Joe) as 2015 will return for 6 months next year. We are also looking to open and staff one or two closed churches along the Camino Frances.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes the Camino Chaplaincy season runs from May - Mid October. By the end of October pilgrim numbers drip considerably, some airline companies stop of reduce flights to Santiago and the Chaplain needs to go home!

We have recently started recruiting priests for next year for Santiago and out on the Camino. I am pleased to say that the early response is very promising. The Same Chaplain (Fr Joe) as 2015 will return for 6 months next year. We are also looking to open and staff one or two closed churches along the Camino Frances.
Great idea JohnnieWalker.... the opening and staffing some churches along the Camino Frances. I felt quite disappointed a few times when I was told there was no evening mass because "there was no priest available".

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back