• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino death - Monday, 5 Oct

PEI_Heather

Canadian Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016 - Voie de la Nive
2012, 2016 - Frances
2013 - Portuguese
2012, 2013 - Finesterre & Muxia
Dr. John Leonard Goodwin of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada, aged 60 years, passed away (mention of a heart attack) on Monday. He and his wife were walking the Camino and had just reached Castrojeriz. He leaves behind his wife Nancy (who is now home here in Charlottetown, bless her poor heart) and four children. Rest in peace, pilgrim. You and I never met, which is all the more unfortunate, but I'm sure we know many people in common and are possibly related by blood somehow.
My condolences to Nancy and your children, Janna, Cassandra, Kieran and Abby.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Condolences to his family

Just read the inMemorian article online stating he was warm, generous and fun spirit. and much more..sad loss of a much loved man for many who knew him.
such warming words to be thought of by others.

Rest in Peace Pilgrim

The wake is tomorrow; I have the feeling the line up will be out the door and beyond. I will go to give my best wishes and sympathies to Dr John's family, even though we'd never met before.

Simple words cannot express the feelings that this pilgrims family must be struggling with.
My sincerest condolences from a stranger but a fellow pilgrim in life X

Never strangers; only friends we haven't yet met, Rick. But yes, I'm sure the family is suffering now and my heart breaks for them.

The wake is tomorrow; I have the feeling the line up will be out the door and beyond. I will go to give my best wishes and sympathies to Dr John's family, even though we'd never met before.

I am sure it would be appreciated Heather, by your attendance as a pilgrim...simply put the world needs more loving people such as Dr john and those like yourself who has a lot of empathy and sympathy..I am sure

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This sad death will be mourned by all the Camino family.May God grant comfort and peace to his family in their time of grief.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Words are never sufficient at times like this - but they are all we can offer from afar.
I am so glad Heather will be able to go - representing all pilgrims.
60 years is much too young to die - but, as Al said, he was doing something he loved.... may it be so for all of us.
Blessings from Suffolk [UK].

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If everyone is OK with this, when I attend the wake tomorrow, I will pass on your respective condolences to Nancy and her family by saying that the pilgrims on Ivar's Camino forum are thinking about them, and send their (your) hearts and blessings to them (the family).
I don't want to speak for anyone without permission.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If everyone is OK with this, when I attend the wake tomorrow, I will pass on your respective condolences to Nancy and her family by saying that the pilgrims on Ivar's Camino forum are thinking about them, and send their (your) hearts and blessings to them (the family).

that is good of you Heather, please include my condolences to the family and all those who loved John.

I will be 60 when I walk the Camino next year. My heart is heavy that Dr. Goodwin was taken before completing his meaningful Camino journey. May his family appreciate his journey, and if his wife returns to complete it, may she find peace as she walks. My condolences.

Yes, we are in essence part of their extended camino family - thanks Heather!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Heather......I saw this in The Guardian today, too, and felt so sad even tho I didn't know Dr. Goodwin either. As a fellow pilgrim and fellow Islander, I would appreciate you bringing condolences from The Forum to the family. Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please add mine. Thanks for representing us.

You can add mine as well!

I'm sending so many thoughts and much love for Nancy and her family. Rest in peace, dear pilgrim. We never met, nevertheless we do have something in common - the love of and for the Camino. Sincere condolences for the Goodwin family!

I'd like to add my condolences to Nancy and the family.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone,
I attended the wake of Dr John yesterday evening.

Before I go on, perhaps I better explain a wake on PEI...

When someone passes away, usually a visitation is held the day before the funeral. The person is laid out--usually surrounded by beautiful displays of flowers--so his or her family and friends can pay their last respects. In this case, John had been cremated (in Spain) so the container with his ashes was surrounded by photos and momentos (including his passport) as well as copious arrangements of gorgeous flowers. The family stands--and did stand--on one side of the coffin/memorial so the friends can--and did--offer their condolences.

It doesn't just stop at that, however. The friends could be people the deceased grew up with, worked with, went to school with--someone from his or her life. Stories are told to the family, people remember the life of the person and pass on to the family these wonderful memories. There are handshakes (sometimes bone crushing from well-intentioned folk who don't know their own strength!), hands held and lots of hugs given and taken. It's a lot for the family to take in but it's a wonderful way to show them that their loved one was more beloved and respected than they realized. I always thought it was a barbaric practice, especially having the deceased on view, and never realized how important it was until my own father passed away, and hundreds of people came to give me and my siblings their stories and condolences. It really helped me with my grief to know my dad was so well thought of by so many people. I have come to respect this part of the grieving process and, when I am able, attend the wakes of those I want to remember, to support their families.

People will go to the wake and will wait, patiently--sometimes for hours--until their turn comes to join the queue and to talk to the family members. The visitors are ushered to a seating area, then after a while, to a line that leads them to the family--and the deceased--who are in a separate room (a salon) from the visitors. When the seats in the waiting room are full, a line up outside the waiting room is created. As people are guided from the waiting area to the queue to see the family, the seats are refilled by people from the line up outside. It's an interesting system and works really well. No one gets impatient and, in fact, the people waiting have a (quiet, respectful) gabfest, catching up with others that they have not seen in some time or maybe even just recently.

The transitioning of people into and out of seats (to join the line up to visit the family) is fluid and constant. In the case of Dr John, I calculated that during the 7-9pm visitation hours possibly 300-400 people attended the wake and saw the family. (This meant the 7-9pm visitation lasted until maybe 10:30--11pm--a long long time for the family.) Probably the same amount of people were there in the afternoon (from 2-3pm). I found out that the family only got a 45 minute break in between the two visitation periods--there were that many people who showed up to give their condolences. Dr John Goodwin was a well respected and well liked...no, he was a well loved man.

Yes, as there were a lot of people, it meant patience and understanding from everyone. I arrived only a few minutes after 7pm and didn't get into see the family until about 9:30-9:45pm. I didn't mind the wait in the least. This wasn't about me; it was for them. Everyone in the room felt the same, I will say.

That is what a PEI wake is like. I'm sure such a thing takes place in other parts of the world but people have come to the Island and expressed that they've never seen anything like it before. We love our people and want to show them a good send off, as well as to support their loved ones still here on this lovely earth.

I have to say again, I never met John while he was on this mortal coil or Nancy, or any of their family before last night.
I had no idea what I was going to say or even how to explain what I, a stranger, was doing there.

But when I got to the first family member in the receiving line--John's brother, Gerard--it was easy. You would think that the family at this time would be broken and out of sorts. It was not the case; they were friendly, welcoming, happy to see so many well wishers, and generous with their hearts. Yes, when the right person came along, the line of defense cracked open and the tears flowed, but that was OK; it's part of the beauty of the wake. It is how the family can begin to grieve, with the help and the support of friends.

I asked John's brother how long he (John) had wanted to walk the Camino, he (Gerard) told me it was a 10-15 year old dream, finally realized. We chatted about the Camino for a few minutes, then he introduced me to the next person in the receiving line, his and John's sister, Isabel. She subsequently introduced me to her sister Norah with 'this woman walked the Camino.' Each person introduced me to the next family member this way, and so I was able to meet and talk to Dr John's family: his siblings and his children, Abby, Kieran, Janna and Cassandra (Cassie). They were so happy that he had walked the Camino and told me that he was elated to be in Spain, finally walking the Way. He would send photos back home every day or so, to let his kids and other family, and friends, in on the splendor that he and Nancy were enjoying.

John and Nancy reached Castrojeriz and stayed in a private albergue there. I'm not sure of the timeline or how long they since they arrived, but John had a heart attack in his room. So awfully sad and tragic.

But as all pilgrims on the Camino know, there are angels everywhere and such was the case here. Every member of the family--two sisters, brother, four children and Nancy herself--all used that term with me, 'angels'. Angels in the form of the owner of the albergue. An angel from California--a pilgrim who spoke fluent Spanish; she helped Nancy in those first horrific hours and even after six hours, insisted on returning with her (leaving the Camino) to continue to help. Nancy said no, that the woman must continue on and walk her Camino. Angels were everywhere and the family were thankful and amazed. Everyone said that the assistance throughout the entire ordeal, from everyone, including you, Ivar, was kind, compassionate, ready, swift and expedient. I can't imagine what Nancy went through during all this--she was now alone in a foreign country and suffered the worse loss of her life--but the pilgrims and Spanish people made the terrible experience easier for her to get through.

Many thanks, love, hugs and best wishes to all the angels who helped John, and Nancy in her time of need.

When I reached Nancy in the visitation line, she looked at me like she knew me but when I told her we'd never met, she was surprised and confused (why would a stranger come to her husband's wake?). When I told her I had walked two Caminos and had come because I felt I needed to, and came as well, bearing the condolences of many many other Camino pilgrims, her face lit up with a huge brilliant smile. We talked a bit about the Camino and how it was special and wonderful. She was happy she had had the change to walk it, even after the circumstances. Such grace under pressure, I cannot tell you, but Nancy had it in buckets. What a beautiful person. Many hugs between we two recent strangers, now new friends, and of course, Camino family members, were given.

I told her that you on this forum wished me to pass on to her your condolences; heartfelt wishes from across the planet. She was gobsmacked, I think, but really happy that you all are so kind to think of her and her family at this time. She remembered you and Stephen, Orietta, and was touched that you had reached out. And Ivar, she had nothing but wonderful words to say about you and your help. She passes on her thanks to everyone who asked to be remembered to her.

And thank you as well, from me.

We talked for a while--probably longer than was 'proper' since there were still a good number of people waiting to see her--but she told me that she was so happy I had come, that no one else was there who could understand the Camino and who she could talk to about it and what it was (is). I was glad to be there. I said that we would meet again when she was ready; we could talk and chat about the Camino or other things when she needed to. This is a small town and we will find each other easily. (How to gracefully give her my contact information during her husband's wake... I had my business card but was loath to give her it there--it would be so crass to do that. When she asked how she could find me, I simply told her my office is above a local cafe--Beanz--which she visits and knows.)

I asked her how she knew about the forum, but she said she didn't really; that John was a member and had visited here often to plan their trip and walk. She said she only made the tea; John did the organizing! I don't know what his forum name was...Ivar? Do you know?

Before I left her, I told Nancy I had something to give her. I pulled out of my pocket a scallop shell I had picked up off the beach heading into Finisterre and gave it to her, explaining where it came from. I really wasn't sure how she would respond to this physical reminder of the Camino, but her face lit up like a child's at Christmas...she took the shell and almost danced over to where the display of John's photos and items, as well as the casket of his ashes, were and placed it there. She was so happy to have that shell; I didn't realize it would have that effect on her, but now am very glad I gave it to her.

Dr John Goodwin was a man I wish I had met. I think he was a remarkable and wonderful human being, especially judging by the numbers of people who came to offer their thoughts, best wishes, memories, hugs and condolences to Nancy and family....and more so judging from his family. He has a beautiful one. There was a photo slideshow in the waiting area; the photos showed John and Nancy and their four children, as well as other members of the family, hugging, laughing, smiling, joking, enjoying each others company, engaging with each other, tuned into each other and loving each other to bits and bits. What a spectacular group of people, related by blood and love. They will miss John--husband, father, son, brother, in-law, nephew, uncle, friend and buddy--to the end of the world and beyond.

Each person I spoke to in the family was so happy he had followed his dream of walking the Camino. It was 10-15 years in the making. And each one, save one (who said she has bad feet) said that they will now go to do the Camino to finish John and Nancy's walk. Or to start it afresh. They will walk in John's memory but also in his joy, because that is what he brought to each of his family and what he gave them to give.

Nameste.
And Buen Camino.

Buen Camino, John. You are now one of the stars in the Milky Way, joining the other pilgrims who have passed, to watch over and guide the pilgrims left on earth who walk their Way whether on or off the Camino trails.

My apologies for this long long note. I'm not very good at editing myself and once I start to type, things just start to flow.....

Last edited:
Beautiful, PEI_Heather. I am so glad you didn't edit that.
Thank you for offering the family our heartfelt condolences...and thank you for coming back here to share your experience of that.
Holding Nancy and the family in my heart in this very difficult time...and offering prayers for them and for Dr John. We in this world of the living have lost a remarkable being...another angel.

Last edited:
Thank you Heather. Buen Camino to our new angel, John. Rest in peace. Condolences to Nancy and his entire family.

Thank you for the lenghty but careful account of the wake. Any soul that stays on the Camino is worth the recount, what he was, what he longed for and what his relations were....
thank you for the pains you took for a proper sendoff... he did what he yearned for...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Heather, thank you for representing the Camino Family at John's wake and funeral service. I was thinking at some point ( when the pain has eased) could a small cross be erected on the Camino near Castro as a permanent memorial to this valiant pilgrim?
Truely, Buen Camino John.

Dr. John Leonard Goodwin of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada, aged 60 years, passed away (mention of a heart attack) on Monday. He and his wife were walking the Camino and had just reached Castrojeriz. He leaves behind his wife Nancy (who is now home here in Charlottetown, bless her poor heart) and four children. Rest in peace, pilgrim. You and I never met, which is all the more unfortunate, but I'm sure we know many people in common and are possibly related by blood somehow.
This pilgrim has reached his destination. He is in the arms of Jesus. Buen Camino brother

I was deeply saddened when I read of Dr. Goodwin's death. I just returned home 5 days ago from my Camino (Frances).

Every time I passed a cross or memorial en route, I stopped and wondered about each person, who they were, who they loved, who loved them, and did they find what was needed in their Camino?

Pilgrims are indeed a rare breed. This outpouring of well wishes for a man who must have helped many in his life is wonderful. I truly hope his wife and family can find peace with such a loss. I hope they also become aware of the blessings we pilgrims offer at his time!

Buen Camino Dr. Goodwin as your next peaceful journey into the Kingfim of God begins!

Thank You Heather for passing on our condolences

Dan

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Heather, thank you for representing the Camino Family at John's wake and funeral service. I was thinking at some point ( when the pain has eased) could a small cross be erected on the Camino near Castro as a permanent memorial to this valiant pilgrim?
Truely, Buen Camino John.

Once they have reached past some of their grief, perhaps John's family may decide to do this, Mike. I'm thinking that they may just find themselves--as a group or as individuals--walking the Camino soon enough. When they see the memorials left for other pilgrims, they may think it a wonderful idea to have one placed for him.

Thank you for reading my note and for your thoughts, Saint Mike. :)

Last edited:
I was deeply saddened when I read of Dr. Goodwin's death. I just returned home 5 days ago from my Camino (Frances).

Every time I passed a cross or memorial en route, I stopped and wondered about each person, who they were, who they loved, who loved them, and did they find what was needed in their Camino?

Pilgrims are indeed a rare breed. This outpouring of well wishes for a man who must have helped many in his life is wonderful. I truly hope his wife and family can find peace with such a loss. I hope they also become aware of the blessings we pilgrims offer at his time!

Buen Camino Dr. Goodwin as your next peaceful journey into the Kingfim of God begins!

Thank You Heather for passing on our condolences

Dan

Thanks Dan.
I'm glad you returned well, safe and sound, back to TO. I hope you had your own spectacular Camino walk, even with the reflections on those who passed on before their times while walking their Way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone,

When someone passes away, usually a visitation is held the day before the funeral. The person is laid out--usually surrounded by beautiful displays of flowers--so his or her family and friends can pay their last respects. In this case, John had been cremated (in Spain) so the container with his ashes was surrounded by photos and momentos--including his passport--as well as copious arrangements of gorgeous flowers. The family stands on one side of the coffin/memorial so the friends can offer their condolences.

It doesn't just stop at that, however. The friends could be people the deceased grew up with, worked with, went to school with--someone from his or her life. Stories are told to the family, people remember the life of the person and pass on to the family these wonderful memories. There are handshakes (sometimes bone crushing from well intentioned folk who don't know their own strength!), hands held and lots of hugs given and taken. It's a lot for the family to take in but a wonderful way to show them that their loved one was more beloved and respected than they realized. I always thought it was a barbaric practice and never realized how important it was until my own father passed away and hundreds of people came to give me and my siblings their stories and condolences. It really helped me with my grief to know my dad was so well thought of by so many people. I have come to respect this part of the grieving process and, when I am able, attend the wakes of those I want to remember to support their family.

People will go to the wake and will wait, patiently--sometimes for hours--until their turn comes to join the queue and to talk to the family members. The visitors are ushered to a seating area, then after a while, to a line that leads them to the family--and the deceased--who are in a separate room (a salon) from the visitors. When the seats in the waiting room are full, a line up outside the waiting room is created. As people are guided from the waiting area to the queue to the family, the seats are refilled by people from the line up outside. It's an interesting system and works really well. No one gets impatient and, in fact, the people waiting have a (quiet, respectful) gabfest, catching up with others that they have not seen in some time or maybe even just recently.

The transitioning of people into and out of seats (to join the line up to visit the family) is fluid and constant. In the case of Dr John, I calculated that during the 7-9pm visitation hours possibly 300-400 people attended the wake and saw the family. (This meant the 7-9pm visitation lasted until maybe 10:30--11pm--a long long time for the family.) Probably the same amount of people were there in the afternoon (from 2-3pm). Dr John Goodwin was a well respected and well liked...no, a well loved man.

Yes, as there were a lot of people, it meant patience and understanding from everyone. I arrived only a few minutes after 7pm and didn't get into see the family until about 9:30-9:45. I didn't mind the wait in the least. This wasn't about me; it was for them. Everyone in the room felt the same, I will say.

That is what a PEI wake is like. I'm sure such a thing takes place in other parts of the world but people have come to the Island and expressed that they've never seen anything like it before. We love our people and want to show them a good send off, as well as to support their loved ones still here on this lovely earth.

I have to say again, I never met John while he was on this mortal coil or Nancy nor any of their family before last night.
I had no idea what I was going to say or even how to explain what I, a stranger, was doing there.

But when I got to the first family member in the receiving line--John's brother, Gerard--it was easy. You would think that the family at this time would broken and out of sorts. It's not the case; they were friendly, welcoming, happy to see so many well wishers, and generous with their hearts. Yes, when the right person came along, the line of defense cracks opened and the tears flowed, but that was OK; it's part of the beauty of the wake. It is how the family can begin to grieve, with the help of the support of friends.

I asked John's brother how long he (John) had wanted to walk the Camino, he told me it was a 10-15 year old dream, finally realized. We chatted about the Camino and then he introduced me to the next person in the receiving line, John's sister, Isabel. Each person introduced me to the next as 'this woman walked the Camino', and so I was able to talk to and meet Dr John's family: his other sister Norah and his children, Abby, Kieran, Janna and Cassandra. They were so happy that he had walked it and told me that he was elated to be in Spain, finally walking the Camino. He would send photos back home every day or so, to let his kids and siblings in on the splendor that he and Nancy were enjoying.

John and Nancy reached Castrojeriz and stayed in a private albergue there. I'm not sure of the timeline or how long they since they arrived, but John had a heart attack in his room. So awfully sad and tragic.
But as all pilgrims on the Camino know, there are angels everywhere and such was the case here. Every member of the family--two sisters, brother, four children and Nancy herself--all used that term with me, 'angels'. Angels in the form of the owner of the albergue. An angel from California--a pilgrim who spoke fluent Spanish; she helped Nancy in those first horrific hours and even after six hours, insisted on returning with her (leaving the Camino) to continue to help. Nancy said no, that the woman must continue on and walk her Camino. Everyone said that the assistance throughout the entire ordeal, from everyone, including you, Ivar, was kind, compassionate, ready, swift and expedient. I can't imagine what Nancy went through during all this--she was now alone in a foreign country and suffered the worse loss of her life--but the pilgrims and Spanish people made the terrible experience easier for her to get through.

Many thanks, love, hugs and best wishes to all the angels who helped John, and Nancy in her time of need.

When I reached Nancy in the visitation line, she looked at me like she knew me but when I told her we'd never met, she was surprised and confused (why would a stranger come to her husband's wake?). When I told her I had walked two Caminos and had come because I felt I needed to--and as well, came bearing the condolences of many many other Camino pilgrims--her face lit up with a huge brilliant smile. We talked a bit about the Camino and how it was special and wonderful. She was happy she had had the change to walk it, even in the circumstances. Such grace under pressure, I cannot tell you, but Nancy had it in buckets. What a beautiful person. Many hugs between we two recent strangers, now new friends and of course, Camino family members, were given.

I told on to her that you on this forum wished me to pass to on her your condolences; heartfelt wishes from across the planet. She was gobsmacked, I think, but so happy that you all are so kind to think of her and the family. She remembered you and Stephen, Orietta, and was touched that you had reached out. And Ivar, she had nothing but wonderful words to say about you and your help. She passes on her thanks to everyone who asked to be remembered to her. And thank you from me.

We talked for a while--probably longer than was 'proper' since there were still a good number of people waiting to see her--but she told me that she was so happy I had come, that no one else could she talk to about the Camino and what it was. I was glad to be there. I said that we would meet again when she was ready, we could talk and chat about the Camino or other things when she needed to. This is a small town and we will find each other. (I was loath to give her my business card there--so crass to do that there--but when she asked how she could find me, I told her I work about a local cafe--Beanz--which she visits and knows.)

I asked her how she knew about the forum, but she said she didn't really; John was a member and had visited here often to plan their trip and walk. She said she only made the tea; John did the organizing! I don't know what his forum name was...Ivar? Do you know?

Before I left her, I told Nancy I had something to give her. I pulled out of my pocket a scallop shell I had picked off the beach in Finisterre and gave it to her, explaining where it came from. I really wasn't sure how she would respond to this but her face lit up like a child's at Christmas...she took the shell and almost danced over to where the display of John's photos and items, as well as the casket of his ashes were, and placed it there. She was so happy to have that shell; I didn't realize it would have that reaction but now am very glad I gave it.

Dr John Goodwin was a man I wish I had have met. I think he was a remarkable and wonderful person, judging by the numbers of people who came to offer their thoughts, best wishes, memories, hugs and condolences to Nancy and family....and more so judging from his family. He has a beautiful family. There was a photo slide show in the waiting area of him and Nancy and their family...the photos showed people hugging, laughing, smiling, enjoying each others company, engaged with each other, tuned into each other and loving each other to bits. What a spectacular family. They will miss John--husband, father, son, brother, in-law, nephew, uncle, friend and buddy--to the end of the world and beyond.

Each person I spoke to in the family was so happy he had followed his dream of walking the Camino. It was 10-15 years in the making. And each one, save one (bad feet) said that they will now walk the Camino to finish John and Nancy's walk. Or to start it afresh. They will walk in John's memory but also in his joy, because that is what he brought to each of his family and what he gave them to give.

Nameste.
And Buen Camino.
Buen Camino, John. You are now one of the stars in the milky way, joining the other pilgrims who have passed, to watch over and guide the pilgrims left on earth who walk their Way.

My apologies for this long long note. I'm not very good at editing myself and once I start to type, things just start to flow.....
Thank you Heather, how special that you went to the wake and how beautifully you represented us.

Hi everyone,

When someone passes away, usually a visitation is held the day before the funeral. The person is laid out--usually surrounded by beautiful displays of flowers--so his or her family and friends can pay their last respects. In this case, John had been cremated (in Spain) so the container with his ashes was surrounded by photos and momentos (including his passport) as well as copious arrangements of gorgeous flowers. The family stands--and did stand--on one side of the coffin/memorial so the friends can--and did--offer their condolences.

It doesn't just stop at that, however. The friends could be people the deceased grew up with, worked with, went to school with--someone from his or her life. Stories are told to the family, people remember the life of the person and pass on to the family these wonderful memories. There are handshakes (sometimes bone crushing from well-intentioned folk who don't know their own strength!), hands held and lots of hugs given and taken. It's a lot for the family to take in but it's a wonderful way to show them that their loved one was more beloved and respected than they realized. I always thought it was a barbaric practice, especially having the deceased on view, and never realized how important it was until my own father passed away, and hundreds of people came to give me and my siblings their stories and condolences. It really helped me with my grief to know my dad was so well thought of by so many people. I have come to respect this part of the grieving process and, when I am able, attend the wakes of those I want to remember, to support their families.

People will go to the wake and will wait, patiently--sometimes for hours--until their turn comes to join the queue and to talk to the family members. The visitors are ushered to a seating area, then after a while, to a line that leads them to the family--and the deceased--who are in a separate room (a salon) from the visitors. When the seats in the waiting room are full, a line up outside the waiting room is created. As people are guided from the waiting area to the queue to see the family, the seats are refilled by people from the line up outside. It's an interesting system and works really well. No one gets impatient and, in fact, the people waiting have a (quiet, respectful) gabfest, catching up with others that they have not seen in some time or maybe even just recently.

The transitioning of people into and out of seats (to join the line up to visit the family) is fluid and constant. In the case of Dr John, I calculated that during the 7-9pm visitation hours possibly 300-400 people attended the wake and saw the family. (This meant the 7-9pm visitation lasted until maybe 10:30--11pm--a long long time for the family.) Probably the same amount of people were there in the afternoon (from 2-3pm). I found out that the family only got a 45 minute break in between the two visitation periods--there were that many people who showed up to give their condolences. Dr John Goodwin was a well respected and well liked...no, he was a well loved man.

Yes, as there were a lot of people, it meant patience and understanding from everyone. I arrived only a few minutes after 7pm and didn't get into see the family until about 9:30-9:45pm. I didn't mind the wait in the least. This wasn't about me; it was for them. Everyone in the room felt the same, I will say.

I have to say again, I never met John while he was on this mortal coil or Nancy, or any of their family before last night.

But when I got to the first family member in the receiving line--John's brother, Gerard--it was easy. You would think that the family at this time would be broken and out of sorts. It was not the case; they were friendly, welcoming, happy to see so many well wishers, and generous with their hearts. Yes, when the right person came along, the line of defense cracked open and the tears flowed, but that was OK; it's part of the beauty of the wake. It is how the family can begin to grieve, with the help and the support of friends.

I asked John's brother how long he (John) had wanted to walk the Camino, he (Gerard) told me it was a 10-15 year old dream, finally realized. We chatted about the Camino for a few minutes, then he introduced me to the next person in the receiving line, his and John's sister, Isabel. She subsequently introduced me to her sister Norah with 'this woman walked the Camino.' Each person introduced me to the next family member this way, and so I was able to meet and talk to Dr John's family: his siblings and his children, Abby, Kieran, Janna and Cassandra (Cassie). They were so happy that he had walked the Camino and told me that he was elated to be in Spain, finally walking the Way. He would send photos back home every day or so, to let his kids and other family, and friends, in on the splendor that he and Nancy were enjoying.

But as all pilgrims on the Camino know, there are angels everywhere and such was the case here. Every member of the family--two sisters, brother, four children and Nancy herself--all used that term with me, 'angels'. Angels in the form of the owner of the albergue. An angel from California--a pilgrim who spoke fluent Spanish; she helped Nancy in those first horrific hours and even after six hours, insisted on returning with her (leaving the Camino) to continue to help. Nancy said no, that the woman must continue on and walk her Camino. Angels were everywhere and the family were thankful and amazed. Everyone said that the assistance throughout the entire ordeal, from everyone, including you, Ivar, was kind, compassionate, ready, swift and expedient. I can't imagine what Nancy went through during all this--she was now alone in a foreign country and suffered the worse loss of her life--but the pilgrims and Spanish people made the terrible experience easier for her to get through.

When I reached Nancy in the visitation line, she looked at me like she knew me but when I told her we'd never met, she was surprised and confused (why would a stranger come to her husband's wake?). When I told her I had walked two Caminos and had come because I felt I needed to, and came as well, bearing the condolences of many many other Camino pilgrims, her face lit up with a huge brilliant smile. We talked a bit about the Camino and how it was special and wonderful. She was happy she had had the change to walk it, even after the circumstances. Such grace under pressure, I cannot tell you, but Nancy had it in buckets. What a beautiful person. Many hugs between we two recent strangers, now new friends, and of course, Camino family members, were given.

I told her that you on this forum wished me to pass on to her your condolences; heartfelt wishes from across the planet. She was gobsmacked, I think, but really happy that you all are so kind to think of her and her family at this time. She remembered you and Stephen, Orietta, and was touched that you had reached out. And Ivar, she had nothing but wonderful words to say about you and your help. She passes on her thanks to everyone who asked to be remembered to her.

And thank you as well, from me.

We talked for a while--probably longer than was 'proper' since there were still a good number of people waiting to see her--but she told me that she was so happy I had come, that no one else was there who could understand the Camino and who she could talk to about it and what it was (is). I was glad to be there. I said that we would meet again when she was ready; we could talk and chat about the Camino or other things when she needed to. This is a small town and we will find each other easily. (How to gracefully give her my contact information during her husband's wake... I had my business card but was loath to give her it there--it would be so crass to do that. When she asked how she could find me, I simply told her my office is above a local cafe--Beanz--which she visits and knows.)

I asked her how she knew about the forum, but she said she didn't really; that John was a member and had visited here often to plan their trip and walk. She said she only made the tea; John did the organizing! I don't know what his forum name was...Ivar? Do you know?

Before I left her, I told Nancy I had something to give her. I pulled out of my pocket a scallop shell I had picked up off the beach heading into Finisterre and gave it to her, explaining where it came from. I really wasn't sure how she would respond to this physical reminder of the Camino, but her face lit up like a child's at Christmas...she took the shell and almost danced over to where the display of John's photos and items, as well as the casket of his ashes, were and placed it there. She was so happy to have that shell; I didn't realize it would have that effect on her, but now am very glad I gave it to her.

Dr John Goodwin was a man I wish I had met. I think he was a remarkable and wonderful human being, especially judging by the numbers of people who came to offer their thoughts, best wishes, memories, hugs and condolences to Nancy and family....and more so judging from his family. He has a beautiful one. There was a photo slideshow in the waiting area; the photos showed John and Nancy and their four children, as well as other members of the family, hugging, laughing, smiling, joking, enjoying each others company, engaging with each other, tuned into each other and loving each other to bits and bits. What a spectacular group of people, related by blood and love. They will miss John--husband, father, son, brother, in-law, nephew, uncle, friend and buddy--to the end of the world and beyond.

Each person I spoke to in the family was so happy he had followed his dream of walking the Camino. It was 10-15 years in the making. And each one, save one (who said she has bad feet) said that they will now go to do the Camino to finish John and Nancy's walk. Or to start it afresh. They will walk in John's memory but also in his joy, because that is what he brought to each of his family and what he gave them to give.

Nameste.
And Buen Camino.

Buen Camino, John. You are now one of the stars in the Milky Way, joining the other pilgrims who have passed, to watch over and guide the pilgrims left on earth who walk their Way whether on or off the Camino trails.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you Heather, what a beautiful wake. I am so glad you were there. As pilgrims we are never strangers. We are always connected and it was very comforting for you to be there and open your heart up. I am sure you will see Nancy in the future. You are a pilgrim angel.

Oh, thank you, Meliea, but I think Nancy and her family had real angels taking care of them. I don't think I am one, but thank you. :)

Thank you everyone, for your comments and 'likes'. (I had responded to each individual note but realized I was taking up a lot of real estate on this particular train of thought. Now down to this one, with exception to responding to a few particular folks.) :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you everyone, for your comments and 'likes'. (I had responded to each individual note but realized I was taking up a lot of real estate on this particular train of thought. Now down to this one, with exception to responding to a few particular folks.) :)[/

Hello All,
Have been so moved by Heather spending her entire Friday evening waiting in line to see me at the funeral home in Charlottetown.
Now...a new account.
Spud man 57 was Johns forum name.
I shall be as seen..often what we called the 6 of us...John / Nancy combo...and JACK being the first initial of our children.
Firstly thanks for all the kind words.
Have so much to say...shall continue later today when the timing is right.
Today is Canadian Thanksgiving. My heart and those all around me are broken. But I am so thankful.
Another heartfelt thanks to Ivar.

Heather,

Thanks so much for sharing... and not editing. I am sitting at my computer with tear stains down the front of me. Blessings to you and Nancy and the JancyJack crew...

€60,-
May his soul and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

My
Hello All,
Have been so moved by Heather spending her entire Friday evening waiting in line to see me at the funeral home in Charlottetown.
Now...a new account.
I shall be as seen..often what we called the 6 of us...John / Nancy combo...and JACK being the first initial of our children.
Today is Canadian Thanksgiving. My heart and those all around me are broken. But I am so thankful.
May I add my condolences to those already expressed. I can only imagine the heartache that you and your family are experiencing. May there be comfort in your memories of John. Although the Camino is where his life ended, he was blessed to be sharing a dream with someone he loved.

Hello All,
Now...a new account.

Welcome to the forum, Nancy. I send my heartfelt condolences to you and your family as you mourn your great loss. Your love for John is so evident in your post and I hope that your memories are a comfort to you in the times ahead.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello All,
Now...a new account.
Hello All,
Now...a new account.

It was absolutely my pleasure, Nancy--weird way to say it but I think you understand. See you sometime in the future, when you are ready. Great big hugs to you and your kids.

Last edited:
Wow, Heather, you are a Camino Angel, in faraway Canada.
Back here in Spain plans are afoot to inaugurate a memorial park for pilgrims like Dr. Goodwin. I met today with officials from Astorga city council and Amigos group; they're ceding a public park along the camino where we can plant a tree in memory of those pilgrims who die along The Way, and put up a simple plaque with their name, date, nationality, etc. in a quiet place where passing pilgrims can stop and say a prayer.
The city agreed to fund the first three plantings. We're still working out how to involve the families in this enterprise, and how to raise funds to pay for it all. But for now, do you think a classic cypress would fill the bill for our friend from PEI?

Back here in Spain plans are afoot to inaugurate a memorial park for pilgrims like Dr. Goodwin. I met today with officials from Astorga city council and Amigos group; they're ceding a public park along the camino where we can plant a tree in memory of those pilgrims who die along The Way, and put up a simple plaque with their name, date, nationality, etc. in a quiet place where passing pilgrims can stop and say a prayer.
The city agreed to fund the first three plantings. We're still working out how to involve the families in this enterprise, and how to raise funds to pay for it all. But for now, do you think a classic cypress would fill the bill for our friend from PEI?

Hi Reb,
This is such a beautiful idea. Whatever your participation (I'm thinking a great deal, including the idea), thank you for your hard work on it. A memorial park for our fallen pilgrims/risen stars is a gentle and lovely idea.

I think that would be better for Nancy @JancyJack to decide (type of tree), but when you put out the call for donations, I will be on the list to help buy the trees. And whatever else is required.

(You know, when I walked the Camino, I saw trees that looked like maples, which is Canada's national tree and the symbol on our flag..... I just looked it up on Google --yay Google--and discovered that the trees are maples: sycamore maples, Acer pseudoplatanus! Perhaps that would be a good tree to plant for Dr John. And Catherine Marie Kimpton, another Canadian who passed away while walking The Way.) (But again, I think it would be best for Nancy to decide.)
There is a park here on PEI called the International Children's Memorial Place; part of it is a wooded park called "The Everyliving Forest: honours those children who are forever young and will not complete life's cycle." Trees are planted by parents in memory of their children. I'm thinking the pilgrim's memorial park will be similar and will have the same impact: huge.

I'm looking at another walk on the Camino Frances in 2016 and hope to stay at The Peaceable Kingdom, if you are still taking in pilgrims! :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
(And thanks I do appreciate it; but I don't think I'm a Camino angel...just someone who saw someone else in need! :))

Keep us posted when the need for donations arise.

Hi Reb & Paddy - also happy to donate to a "living" memorial. (Maybe Ivar - yes I know we put a lot on his shoulders - would be able to advise when/where/how we can donate.) Mike

€83,-
My heart is with the family at this time. Happy to donate so that the memorial park will thrive. Just provide a place on the Forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A memorial for those that forever stay in the Camino is a great idea, I too would be happy to donate.
Chris from Canada

€83,-
Eternal Rest Grant unto him O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon him. my condolences to the family. we never know what can happen to us when we are on the Camino. therefore let us remember to be grateful and kind to one another so that we may be true pilgrims. Watch over us John Leonard as we continue to do the Camino.

Thank you Heather!

Not sure.

Ah but the lovely Nancy @JancyJack solved the question, Ivar: Spudman57.
Now, unfortunately, to put a little note under his name, to join the others who have passed.
Thanks Ivar. See you in 2016.

Blessings upon thee. May thy soul shine ever brightly to light your way to heaven.

May thy family and friends be comforted by thy memory, and may thy memory be for a blessing.

"John and Nancy reached Castrojeriz and stayed in a private albergue there..."

I know I'm new, and I don't know where this is on the route, yet, but I'll carry his rock when I go if they didn't make it to that point.

I'm late with my condolences, but they are no less sincere. I had heard of this most unfortunate news while walking, but not the details. Eventually I learned he was a fellow Canadian, a doctor from PEI. Just hearing 'Canadian' I had a visceral reaction. Mentally, I sent thoughts and prayers to the family. The description of the wake is both joyful and moving. As a volunteer in India, I've seen many similar type rituals at loved ones' funerals What always struck me was the intimacy of it all. A beautiful but sad occasion and was always privileged to be present. I do wish the family continued healing of the heart.

Nancy, I hope you and the family are finding solace in the midst of this huge loss--and that you can feel the depth of well-wishing from us here. Sending heartfelt condolences. John was clearly a special soul.
(And thanks I do appreciate it; but I don't think I'm a Camino angel...just someone who saw someone else in need! :))
Rebekah's right, Heather...that's what a Camino Angel IS. And you definitely count.
I somehow missed the continuation of this thread but am very glad to learn of the park. One way or another it will be a joy to contribute with a donation when the time comes.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back