• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shopping in Porto

Antipodean

I'm in two minds as to whether or not to carry trekking pole(s) with me from Australia. If I don't then I can carry my backpack as cabin baggage which I see as an advantage. I'm also working on the assumption that I'll forget to take something I really need.

Can anyone advise of an outdoors-type store in either Lisbon or Porto from which I may be able to buy trekking poles or any other last minute items?

Thanks

Tony

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Tony

I know the feeling...what to take and what to leave at home. I'm preparing for my 3. camino. Luckely 3 more weeks before I leave. More time to wonder..

I walked Porto - Santiago last year and it wasn't easy to find an outdoor shop in downtown Porto. My friend did find one pole in el corte ingles in Porto. Very expensive but good good quality. I think there is a big outdoor store in the outskirts of Porto but we didn't have time to go there.

I'll write you some good advises later...time to go to work :wink:

:p
Rikke

There is one shopping mall I have been to, 10 min by car/taxi from the airport. You can not walk here.... car only. About 15-20 min by car from city center.

But it has a lot of stores. Have a look at their store listings to get an idea:
http://www.marshopping.com/

Buen Camino!
Ivar

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Tony,

Both Porto and Lisbon have Decathlon stores, they are "big box" sporting goods stores with their own brand (Quechua), but they also carry many other brands. The only problem with these stores is that they all seem to be way out in the industrial suburbs of the cities, same is true in Spain. I have finally found one in Lisbon that is accessible by bus, but just barely. The Decathlon closest to central Lisbon is in Amadora (there are two others I have seen near Lisbon, one on the east side of the April 24 bridge, one on the way to Sintra). The bus that goes from central Lisbon to Oeiras (a suburb) passes through a big undeveloped natural area called the Parque de Monsanto. The Decathlon is quite close, near the campgrounds, and the bus makes a stop that would allow you to walk relatively safely to the store. I know this is very vague, but if you are interested in getting here, let me know and I can do some more digging to find bus numbers, etc.

In Porto, it looks like the Decathlon store is in Maia, about 12 km from Porto. You can see all the locations at their website. http://www.decathlon.pt/

Good luck. Buen camino, Laurie

I would go with Pilgrim-s-414's suggestion or visit the Sportzone in Via Catarina Shopping near Aliados.
The campingshop should be well stocked and it seems a good price for the walking sticks.

Sportzone is a portuguese chain of sports and outdoor equipment, available stock depends on the size of the shop, but I'm sure you can find a pair of sticks.

Decathlon is a big box concept so selection is bigger, but mostly their own stuff, which is generally good quality. Matosinhos and Maia: first bigger but hard to get to, second is 500m from Metro stop but far from center of Porto. Both in industrial estates.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We had to buy a sleeping bag in porto and found one in el corte inglis conveniently on metro two stops south of the river ("shopping spot" on map attached). image.jpg

I'm in two minds as to whether or not to carry trekking pole(s) with me from Australia. If I don't then I can carry my backpack as cabin baggage which I see as an advantage. I'm also working on the assumption that I'll forget to take something I really need.

Can anyone advise of an outdoors-type store in either Lisbon or Porto from which I may be able to buy trekking poles or any other last minute items?

Thanks

Tony
last june i saw an outdoor outfitter opposite from the sao bento trainstation.
forgot the name.
if one stands with the Sao Bento behind your back, cross the street, and in the area of Rua Trinidade Coelho or something to that effect you could find that store. small store, no big-box anything.

another option might be to order from a euro outfitter site and have it shipped to your hostel/hotel in porto (indicating your days of stay)?

bom caminho!

I found a small The North Face shop, just behind the Porto city hall, on
Rua dos Heróis e Mártires d'Angola. I was able to buy a new rain jacket there although the choice is not big. Hope this helps someone else too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I carried my pack on the plane this year and decided to not bring my poles with me, hoping I'd find a shop in Porto. Found one great little outdoor supply shop in the historical centre of Porto, where fortunately they had poles!

Laventura
Address: Rua Trinidad Coelho n. 40
4050-618 Porto
Phone: 220 113 593

Thanks

Tony

There is a shopping center in Rua Santa Catarina in central Porto called Via Catarina. (Rua de Santa Catarina 312 a 350, Porto 4000-443, Portugal, 5 min walking from Sao Bento). There is a sporting goods store in the lower level. In August I bought an excellent pair of trecking poles for my Camino Portuguese for about 22 Euros. Brought them home to Colorado, love 'em.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back