• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sexual assault in Feb 2015

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

I got this anonymous e-mail the other day. I do not know who this person is, but I thought I would post it here anyway.
--------------
Evening, I realise this is reacting to the posts about the arrest of a suspect in the death of a pilgrim and I apologise adding the 'talk'. I am not a member of the forum and don't want to become one or make a public post. But I wanted to let you know that I was sexually assaulted and beaten between Santa Cruz and Cordoba in February 2015. The police response was absolutely amazing. I did not inform the local camino associations nor your organisation as it was and is a private matter. I guess I am letting you know now because I can talk about it and because I think lone perigrinas do not realise the risks they take walking through isolated areas. I certainly didn't. I don't expect a response, but just wanted to let you know. Thanks for listening.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ivar, thank you for posting this, what an awful this experience for this poor individual to have gone through. I wish this person a speedy recovery to full confidence and health again. The Camino should be a beautiful experience for all that endeavour I am saddened that a few despicable individuals could sully what should have been an amazing journey for this person. My heartfelt best wishes go to you pilgrim whomever you are.

Hello Ivar

Camino Mozarabe..Makes you ashamed of your gender sometimes..

I too hope this unfortunate experience leaves no lasting damage to this person.
I can only imagine the turmoil of this hideous incident, and the effort for this victim to find the strength to post this incident some months after.

acknowledgement to the Police for there correct response.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is so sad that these things happen here or anywhere, the Camino is a safe place but unfortunately not totally free from evil. I know these are isolated events but one incident is one too many. I would strongly recommend to all female walking alone to find someone to walk with, or at the very least to walk near other pilgrims.

Chris

Is so sad that these things happen here or anywhere, the Camino is a safe place but unfortunately not totally free from evil. I know these are isolated events but one incident is one too many. I would strongly recommend to all female walking alone to find someone to walk with, or at the very least to walk near other pilgrims.
I totally agree the camino still a safe place but please don't be naive its evil everywhere and " oportunistas"

I pray for your speedy recovery

Zzotte

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That's the spirit @CaminoDebrita !!!

I'm also so sad when I hear about this kind of accidents (if we may call them so at all!) and as @mountaingoat999 mentioned I'm too ashamed of my gender when such things happens! I'm really very very very angry right now. I know that won't help unknown victim(s), but those offenders better don't cross my way :mad::mad::mad:

Ladies, keep on going!

........i pity the poor bas***d who tries to assault me. he will get as good as he gives.
Oftentimes I feel the same way. But there were a few times on the Francés when I was walking on my own, out of sight of any others, where I felt very vulnerable....particularly the one time when I absolutely had to wee and I went off the trail to do so. In hindsight, going off the trail when no one else was around was a stupid thing to do, but I guess we are so conditioned as to modesty. Better to be caught on the trail with my pants down than go off the trail and possibly provide any would-be assailant with privacy to commit an assault.

I spend most of my time walking alone, as i prefer it, but seriously, i pity the poor bas***d who tries to assault me. he will get as good as he gives.
May it not happen to you nor to anyone else!!

Thank you for sharing this email, Ivar--though 'thank you' seems an odd thing to say under the circumstances.
It's not an easy thread to read. I'm alternately sad, furious, resigned, and outraged.
All I can do in the moment is to wish present and future pererinas/peregrinos well--may every one walk safely and be protected from harm.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Mozárabe this year. One would have to wait a long time for another pilgrim to come along to walk with. During eighteen days between Málaga and Mérida I saw only three other pilgrims. I was lucky to have paired up with forum member @george.g, but it would have been a very lonely experience otherwise. If you choose a lesser walked route you must expect to be alone a lot of the time.

We actually walked the entire stage between Santa Cruz and Córdoba (where the reported assault took place) along the main road as there had been torrential rain all night and we wanted to avoid another day of walking on very muddy tracks.

I am glad to hear the spanish police acted so positively. I live in Spain and my experience of the police, particularly related to offences against women, is that they are quick to act on any complaint.

My friend who started in Granada walked alone until he got to Merida. That was in June. This is a route I would love to do but my Spanish skills would need a lot of work first. I am glad that the Police responded so well but I am sickened by the fact that a pilgrim should require them in the first place for such a thing.

I spend most of my time walking alone, as i prefer it, but seriously, i pity the poor bas***d who tries to assault me. he will get as good as he gives.
I didn't ever see anyone selling pepper spray, and I know you can not take it in carry on luggage, but is there some place to buy it along the way? This would ease some hearts and minds, I'm sure!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am deeply saddened by this and echo all the sentiments expressed in this thread, which include the emotions also expressed by Viranani.

A powerful hallmark of what it is to be a pilgrim ~ one that so often manifests itself on the caminos and possibly always has ~ is the care and concern that one pilgrim, who is perhaps unknown to another, can express towards another. "Watching out" for the welfare of others is something that I have so often witnessed on the Camino and found myself doing....sometimes this is done totally anonymously.

This year, as an example, I had set off early one morning whilst dark and as dawn began to break and in the middle of nowhere a white van with three guys rolled up. Just the trail and a dirt track along which they had driven. They may have been agricultural workers, but there was something odd that made me feel very "uneasy". I walked on a short distance past them, but I was aware that a few minutes back on the Camino there was a sole Peregrina. So on the premise that I needed something from my pack, I stopped, waited and watched until I knew that the lady had safely passed them. I was close enough for the guys to be aware that I had stopped and was aware.

They got back in the van and went back the way they had come. They were quite probably innocently going about their business, but perhaps not. I had that uneasy feeling that prompted me to simply "watch out" for a fellow pilgrim. No big deal, the lady didn't know what I had done or why; there were no heroics needed BUT let us "watch out" for one another when and where we can.

I am deeply saddened by this and echo all the sentiments expressed in this thread, which include the emotions also expressed by Viranani.

A powerful hallmark of what it is to be a pilgrim ~ one that so often manifests itself on the caminos and possibly always has ~ is the care and concern that one pilgrim, who is perhaps unknown to another, can express towards another. "Watching out" for the welfare of others is something that I have so often witnessed on the Camino and found myself doing....sometimes this is done totally anonymously.

This year, as an example, I had set off early one morning whilst dark and as dawn began to break and in the middle of nowhere a white van with three guys rolled up. Just the trail and a dirt track along which they had driven. They may have been agricultural workers, but there was something odd that made me feel very "uneasy". I walked on a short distance past them, but I was aware that a few minutes back on the Camino there was a sole Peregrina. So on the premise that I needed something from my pack, I stopped, waited and watched until I knew that the lady had safely passed them. I was close enough for the guys to be aware that I had stopped and was aware.

They got back in the van and went back the way they had come. They were quite probably innocently going about their business, but perhaps not. I had that uneasy feeling that prompted me to simply "watch out" for a fellow pilgrim. No big deal, the lady didn't know what I had done or why; there were no heroics needed BUT let us "watch out" for one another when and where we can.

Good move

although the van scenario does fit in with what I have seen at times....ref: agricultural workers...we was walking this year and came upon the bridge closed at Cacabelos.. two men opened the back of there van and gestured for us to get in....the bridge had just been closed so they were giving us a lift all the way round which is a good distance..until taxis were placed to ferry pilgrims round

Gut instincts are good instincts to follow, Chris. You made a wise choice and I think became this woman's Camio Angel. Thanks for looking out for her.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I do not wish to play devil's advocate, but being alone in and of itself is not dangerous, until one is in the wrong place at the wrong time, or you do not have good visibility. Not seeing anyone could mean you are totally fine. I have also had joggers warn me of men walking on the edge of our town in the Nevada desert, while I am pretty sure one of the few men they could have been referring to was my father, with our Lhasa Apso (the dog having no leash and being in the bushes). You have to trust your instincts, and be aware of your surroundings.

The post sickens and saddens me.

I never in my life thought I would be one of the ones to make this kind of post. I was walking alone in a very wide open area (exact location?) - absolutely no one around. I was aware of a small field with a couple working in it. I also noticed a car parked by the field on the road where I was walking. The minute I saw the car I got a gut feel, so I stopped and waited a few minutes. Sure enough, I saw there was a male in the front seat which struck me as very odd. I began to walk very slowly and as I did, he slid out of the car, stood up and pulled down his trousers, then sat back down, obviously waiting for me to come by. At that very moment, a police car was driving toward me, so I waved them down and just pointed to the car. They stopped immediately and approached the man in the car, at which time the couple in the field came running up to the road. I had no reason to get further involved so walked on by slowly looking back. I saw this young man's face and he was obviously mentally bereft. I actually felt some pity for him….I'm sure the couple were his parents. This is also one of those Camino Angel stories (I experienced several). What are the chances of a police car coming out of nowhere at that moment? I never felt fear, but the incident did leave me with a rather disturbing feeling of invasiveness. Always trust your gut….

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dear all,

I got this anonymous e-mail the other day. I do not know who this person is, but I thought I would post it here anyway.
--------------
Evening, I realise this is reacting to the posts about the arrest of a suspect in the death of a pilgrim and I apologise adding the 'talk'. I am not a member of the forum and don't want to become one or make a public post. But I wanted to let you know that I was sexually assaulted and beaten between Santa Cruz and Cordoba in February 2015. The police response was absolutely amazing. I did not inform the local camino associations nor your organisation as it was and is a private matter. I guess I am letting you know now because I can talk about it and because I think lone perigrinas do not realise the risks they take walking through isolated areas. I certainly didn't. I don't expect a response, but just wanted to let you know. Thanks for listening.

Ivar, sorry to be a pain but posting an anonymous report like this really isn't wise. Would you have a post like this, without proof of any kind, go through normal forum channels? If that person really wants to warn others she could post here, and engage in conversation, under a nick name without the need to give up her privacy. Looking at the words I have put in bold it might just be that somebody is getting a kick out frightening fellow pilgrims. I hope I am wrong. SY

Ivar, sorry to be a pain but posting an anonymous report like this really isn't wise. Would you have a post like this, without proof of any kind, go through normal forum channels? If that person really wants to warn others she could post here, and engage in conversation, under a nick name without the need to give up her privacy. Looking at the words I have put in bold it might just be that somebody is getting a kick out frightening fellow pilgrims. I hope I am wrong. SY
SY, I agree that there is always a problem with trolls and untruthful posts, but requiring that she post it herself doesn't make it any more likely to be truthful. We don't have a fact check function on the forum and I'm sure there are many untruths said here every day, but in the end I agree with Deb. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
SY, I agree that there is always a problem with trolls and untruthful posts, but requiring that she post it herself doesn't make it any more likely to be truthful. We don't have a fact check function on the forum and I'm sure there are many untruths said here every day, but in the end I agree with Deb. Buen camino, Laurie

Oh, I can well imagine there are many stretchers on here every single day!

I would add that one of the things that I have noticed while on Camino is that a story will travel up and down the Pilgrim trail. It's really pretty funny.

I had an older man of about 60 who fancied himself to be Elvis Pressley grab me by the shoulders and try to plant a big wet kiss on me, just as I was walking into Leon. I know it was going to be a big wet one because his mouth was wide open and he was moving in fast. Sadly, he got shoved backwards really hard – – Sadly for him.

For the last few weeks, I have heard this story a few times from different people! Not only that, I have heard the story of the woman whose backpack got nicked from Santa Maria in Leon--she was a close friend of mine on Camino.

The variations on the stories have been interesting... not too far off the mark, but perhaps not precisely correct either.

It is called Radio Camino ;-) Sometimes it resembles a bit the old kids game called 'Chinese whispers/telephone'. Buen Camino! SY

I am always amazed at the Camino wireless and how fast stories travel. And like the game we all played as kids, stories and rumors morph as they get channeled from person to person. In the end who knows what is true and what false?
So while Deb's post seems to be a bit off topic, it's actually quite pertinent...because fortunately here on the forum, the grapevine is much less fallible--the original story is there for all to see long after it was posted.
So whether OP is true or trolling, the account is there to be read--and if by doing so another person is made a bit less naive, thus avoiding harm...
A good thing, on balance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back