• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Pyrenees

malingerer

samarkand
Time of past OR future Camino
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
found a wonderful book in a charity shop titled THE PYRENEES by H BELLOC first printed 1909!
Its not a travel or guide book as such but goes into detail on what makes the Pyrenees and their people so special. Naturally there is quite a bit on ST J DE P and Ronscevalles. Maps and sketches are in black and white and lots of advice about equipment which had me fascinated but I wont spoil your future reading by telling you any more! :) gave me an understanding tho of that real feeling of re-connection every time I cross over on the way to the abbey and perhaps also explains to myself why I have felt uncomfortable on other routes. Almost as if I was wasting time! I think I'm working myself into a corner and need to book the flight! :)

themalingerer

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Belloc also wrote a pilgrim account of his walk to Rome, The Path to Rome (1902), from central France across the Alps and down to Rome which has remained continuously in print.
Has anyone ever attempted the Via using this book in the same manner as a certain tv series did using an old rail timetable?? Now, THAT would be something:) :)

the malingerer

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes a book has been written by a man who did use Belloc's book as a guide it is:
Peter Francis Browne, Rambling on the Road to Rome, Summersdale Publishers, 333 pp, ISBN: 1840241675, ÂŁ7.99

"This is Peter Francis Browne's account of his walk from France to the Italian capital, which fulfilled his ambition to walk in Hilaire Belloc's footsteps. He shows that the landscape has changed dramatically from Belloc's day, but the people remain constant in their remarkable diversity."

ME AND MY BIG MOUTH!!! this is getting spooky! am slowly recovering from another bad arthritis attack by walking it off and gleefully plotting next attempt and already know there is a little book on the via lurking on my bookshelf. dont know how much of it i could actually walk but then thats never bothered me before! Many thanks for the info and will attempt to order the book soonest! I know my Meindl boots will cope and yeah! here come the new pacer poles!
Yours aye,
The Malingerer.
Buen camino and keep on truckin!

:)

Belloc also wrote a pilgrim account of his walk to Rome, The Path to Rome (1902), from central France across the Alps and down to Rome which has remained continuously in print.
I read the Path To Rome this year, in preparation for my own (I hope) pilgrimage next year. If I may use a rather coarse expression, Belloc is so up himself in it...pretentious conversations between author and reader, condescending opinions on local people, etc. As he gets near Rome the descriptions get shorter and shorter, almost as if he'd run out of steam. But that's Belloc. Is he the same in the Pyrenees book? His pencil sketches, though, are rather lovely.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I read the Path To Rome this year, in preparation for my own (I hope) pilgrimage next year. If I may use a rather coarse expression, Belloc is so up himself in it...pretentious conversations between author and reader, condescending opinions on local people, etc. As he gets near Rome the descriptions get shorter and shorter, almost as if he'd run out of steam. But that's Belloc. Is he the same in the Pyrenees book? His pencil sketches, though, are rather lovely.
no intentions of getting into stereotypes but the book was written in 1909 and as i have not finished it yet i wont reply or comment. moderators take note!

Yes a book has been written by a man who did use Belloc's book as a guide it is:
Peter Francis Browne, Rambling on the Road to Rome, Summersdale Publishers, 333 pp, ISBN: 1840241675, ÂŁ7.99

"This is Peter Francis Browne's account of his walk from France to the Italian capital, which fulfilled his ambition to walk in Hilaire Belloc's footsteps. He shows that the landscape has changed dramatically from Belloc's day, but the people remain constant in their remarkable diversity."
tried to log on to francigena forum but it wont have me and says my email is already used, of course it is! ITS MINE! I think i am already a member from some years ago. do i need a restart?
cheers.
the malingerer.

Do you remember an Inn,
Miranda?
Do you remember an Inn?
And the tedding and the spreading
Of the straw for a bedding,
And the fleas that tease in the High Pyrenees,
And the wine that tasted of tar?
And the cheers and the jeers of the young muleteers
(Under the vine of the dark verandah)?
Do you remember an Inn, Miranda,
Do you remember an Inn?
And the cheers and the jeers of the young muleteers
Who hadn't got a penny,
And who weren't paying any,
And the hammer at the doors and the Din?
And the Hip! Hop! Hap!
Of the clap
Of the hands to the twirl and the swirl
Of the girl gone chancing,
Glancing,
Dancing,
Backing and advancing,
Snapping of a clapper to the spin
Out and in --
And the Ting, Tong, Tang, of the Guitar.
Do you remember an Inn,
Miranda?
Do you remember an Inn?
Never more;
Miranda,
Never more.
Only the high peaks hoar:
And Aragon a torrent at the door.
No sound
In the walls of the Halls where falls
The tread
Of the feet of the dead to the ground
No sound:
But the boom
Of the far Waterfall like Doom.

TARANTELLA ~ Hilaire Belloc

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love this!

tried to log on to francigena forum but it wont have me and says my email is already used, of course it is! ITS MINE! I think i am already a member from some years ago. do i need a restart?
cheers.
the malingerer.

I have come across this problem before and the easiest way by far is to re-register with a different e-mail address if you have forgotten your identity and password. Although if it is Ivar's Via Francigena forum he may be able to sort things out for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...
This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back