• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wine: Your favorite, and where you drank it

In the 1970's the Chicago Reader had a great article about wine tasting subtitled "How to one-up a wine snob: a brief lesson in fighting dirty." It listed 50 things to say when tasting a wine. Among my favorites :

"It knows the steps but doesn't quite dance."
"It's managed to vault the obstinacy of its environment into respectability."
"It makes a grand entrance but a tedious soliloquy."
"It's a question posing as a statement."
"Fancy little upstart, eh?"
"The facade is brash but the character is cowardly."
"It's like a Noel Coward lyric. It has nothing to say but it says nothing rather deftly."

Ever since, I still hear some of these statements in my head when reading wine tasting notes.
I thought you might have been referring to a book I read in the 60's about being a wine snob. It provided all kinds of lines to describe a wine, very tongue in cheek-crisp like a newly minted $100 bill, etc. My favorite part of the book was how to impress a friend with you extensive wine cellar in rather involved short story. After a long conversation about tasting the wine offered by his guests it ended with the author walking into a closet like one of those under a staircase and making noises like he was walking down a step staircase to his cellar and then returning with the same noisy pantomime holding and aged and dusty bottle which had actually been stored on a shelf of the closet.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My favourite wine was consumed in Trabadelo at El Puente de Peregrino. my fellow pilgrim wanted to sample something better than the usual generic vino tinto. The owner suggested a local wine (I've forgotten the name) but as other contributors have noted, company and context is everything. The relaxed ambience of the place - which included a cat who like to be stroked and then go to sleep on the bench next to you - and the excellent vegetarian meal, was one of the highlights of the Camino for us. Prior to travelling home I bought some wonderful Rioja in Santander, from Bodegas Franco-Espanolas, in Logrono. The company are presently celebrating having been in business for 125 years. Rioja Bordon Crianza 2011 is the specific wine - drink it at home on a hot day (not many of those here in Scotland) and reconnect with the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am SO glad to hear this, because the last 35 euro bottle of special wine that I bought for a friend was described in some wine review as having tastes of "tobacco" and "smoky minerals." I can't imagine how that can be a good thing.

Yum yum, sounds like the Bordeaux I had last night

Fun reading Margaret. I'm worried tonight's beef stew (with red wine) has flavors of “graphite” mixed with “pâte de fruit, hoisin sauce, warm ganache, and well-roasted applewood”.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My favourite wine in Spain is the red wine I drank in the little bar in Santervas de Campos, which is on the Camino de Madrid 18km before reaching Sahagun. There was no menu del dia, we had to eat what was put in front of us, and in this case it was fried eggs with olives and cold potatoes. The wine was 50% Tempanillo, 50%Prieto Picuda and was delicious. It was named after Ponce de Leon who is the favourite son of the village and his likeness is on the label. The bar owner told us proudly it was the vino del pueblo - the wine of the village.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Marques de Caceras Rosado 1989....ice cold......like drinking in your favorite candy shop. Picked it out off a wine rack on way into a pizza shop in Logrono. Didn't know a single soul there but soon everybody (or at least their kids) had to meet the crazy American eating pizza with his hands (instead of a knife and fork). Had an epic time, but never found another bottle of it again. I've spent many summers up by New York's Seneca Lake and can tell you I've still not found another wine that compares.

I saw the grape, and it was red...

Last night, I did some serious Camino Frances training, drinking 1.5 bottles of pinot noir. I danced and made merry at St. Josef's Winery, about three miles from my front door. I do consider this part of the training ritual.

My personal favorites for wine include pinot noir, pinot grigio, merlot, cabernet sauvignon, chardonnay, and even light bubbly wines---including champagnes.

My favorite ever bottle was named Fin de Nuit---end of the evening--and I shared it with a lovely person under a California night sky, blazing with bright stars and the promise of a long, healthy life. I was about 25 years old, and very strong with a courageous, optimistic attitude. I'm now about 56, and a bit more cautious. I look back on that night and smile.

So....how about your favorite night out while on Camino Frances? What were you drinking, and was there singing or dancing?
More bottles of vino tinto than we should have had in Castrojeriz Sept 2013 and yes, there was some singing or as we Irish say, 'the craic was mighty'. One of the best nights ever, not just on the camino. Missed lights out and through a haze of wine we spotted the hospitalero standing at the bottom of the albergue steps beckoning us with his finger and a very stern look on his face. I got to my bed, picked up my toothbrush and paste and woke the next morning still fully clothed and still clutching them in my hand. How I managed to climb Mostelares that morning is still a mystery to me :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After one of our longer days walking we arrived in Rabanal del Camino on an early October afternoon and decided to call it quits. We checked into an Albergue that had once been a stable for horses. I was delighted how nicely it was converted to welcome Pilgrims. After cleaning up I almost collapsed at the bar and asked the bartender for a vino tino. After a moment handed me a tumbler of red wine. Nodding at me he said "Today I think you need this".
The truth is I did.....and it was so appreciated. I am pretty sure it was a typical "Pilgrim Wine", but despite it's pedigree, I have to say......it tasted really good to me.
Proving once again the Camino provides.
C

As a rule.... Menú del Peregrino and Menú del Dia come with wine.
Some of it was excellent and some of it... not so much.
It was never a good sign to sit down, and look to a wall near the Kitchen and see a row of green bottles with the corks sticking half way out.

When we go to eat, we are typically given a full bottle for both of us.
My Wife doesn't drink alcohol.

Is it possible to request for substitute 1/2 bottle of better wine?
Has anyone had success doing this?
Should I expect an extra charge for this?

I am hoping on my next walk that I meet someone on the way that is knowledgeable about Spanish wines--I am not--because I tried a great deal of wine on the last walk and was not impressed. I admit this is due to my lack of knowledge of Spanish wine and not buying something nice myself. I simply tried every new label offered to me. The best glass I had was at the Parador and I don't remember what it was.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last couple of days I've been on the Camino del Ebro. Today, in a charming hill village called Batea, I had a delicious Terra Alta white, mostly made up of garnatxa grapes, which I assume are closely related to (or the same) as the grenache of southern France. The whole town smells strongly of raw wine must from the harvest of last month. Sadly I'll be long gone by the 23rd, when they have a fiesta and launch 2015's vi nou.

Last couple of days I've been on the Camino del Ebro. Today, in a charming hill village called Batea, I had a delicious Terra Alta white, mostly made up of garnatxa grapes, which I assume are closely related to (or the same) as the grenache of southern France. The whole town smells strongly of raw wine must from the harvest of last month. Sadly I'll be long gone by the 23rd, when they have a fiesta and launch 2015's vi nou.

Lovely wine. I've spent too short a time in Tortosa which has to be one of my favourite places in the world. Herencia and Pinol are two of the white grenache wine I recall. Almost impossible to get over here and I'm not sure if having a glass on my deck would be the same as having a glass at Monclus Licors & Gotim along side a table of tapas
IMG_20141004_215614-L.jpg

I think I need to do some investigation of the del Ebro

Well I discovered I like a red Rioja, but to be totally honest I never savored it as my fellow pilgrims would fill my glass as quickly as I emptied it. So unfortunately I didn't start really savoring it until I returned home. The reason I believe was the Aussie family that I played cards with almost every night generously felt the need to ensure I was properly hydrated. I don't believe I won a single hand.
But I certainly have a favorite beer 1906 on tap.

Great thread by the way

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I'm also loving the smell here at home for the cognac grapes have/are being harvested.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa..............Calimocho :)
First time in Pamplona with some Pincho's
Never drank another drink till Santiago

btw google Calimocho if you wanne find out :)

greetings Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OMG! Paul said he drank NO WINE between Pamplona and Santiago. What a loss! That's like doing the Camino and not sleeping in an albergue. (Nothing personal, my opinion)
My favorite was the red one I drank every day with dinner.....and beyond. I attribute the healing properties of those grapes with me being able to go the whole way from Pamplona to Santiago without any other painkillers. Life is about living in the moment and the best wine was the one I was drinking at the moment. I learned that there is nothing better than fresh local Spanish wine. Looking back, I discovered a new red wine from the TORO region that was excellent.......PINTIA 2010. Cheers!

I couldn't imagine walking the Camino without red wine every day. :rolleyes:

In Hontanas I got a lovely bottle of rioja at a bar for just 2 euros. A couple of hours later friends had arrived and we were getting through masses of it. We were convinced we had wandered off the Camino de Santiago and ended up on the Camino de Tinto. :)

Most of the time I just asked for tinto de casa (house red) and it was always good.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My personal favorites for wine include pinot noir, pinot grigio, merlot, cabernet sauvignon, chardonnay, and even light bubbly wines---including champagnes.
My favorite is the red variety. I have rarely been served bad wine in Spain, as in the US (Even Texas!).

Best use of the wine? A bottle to go with a late (3 PM) lunch. A little sleep. Then a good dinner, in the albergue kitchen or in a cafe, hopefully with newfound friends, sharing some wine along, and then hitting the bed. With the occacional indulgence into wine on a truly pilgrim evening, sharing stories.

Peregrina2000 & El Gallo
dont pitty me...........look... some see pink elephants wen drinking but afther Calimocho i saw this pink and red and whatever colors and i loved it :)
So thats why i didn't changed my drinking habits on the Camino

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa..............Calimocho :)
First time in Pamplona with some Pincho's
Never drank another drink till Santiago

btw google Calimocho if you wanne find out :)

greetings Paul

Ahhhh....Calimocho. Must add that to my list of things to try on my next camino ;-)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Peregrina2000 & El Gallo
dont pitty me...........look... some see pink elephants wen drinking but afther Calimocho i saw this pink and red and whatever colors and i loved it :)
So thats why i didn't changed my drinking habits on the Camino

Oh, I think El Gallo and I misunderstood. We thought you meant that after drinking calimocho one night in Panplona you never drank wine or any other alcoholic drink between Pamplona and Santiago.

But I think you are saying that after one night of calimocho, you decided you couldn't drink anything else BUT calimocho on the camino. Wow, that is one strong stomach you have, my friend.

Last night, I did some serious Camino Frances training, drinking 1.5 bottles of pinot noir. I danced and made merry at St. Josef's Winery, about three miles from my front door. I do consider this part of the training ritual.

My favorite ever bottle was named Fin de Nuit---end of the evening--and I shared it with a lovely person under a California night sky, blazing with bright stars and the promise of a long, healthy life. I was about 25 years old, and very strong with a courageous, optimistic attitude. I'm now about 56, and a bit more cautious. I look back on that night and smile.

So....how about your favorite night out while on Camino Frances? What were you drinking, and was there singing or dancing?
My favorite by far was the vino tinto in the Bierzo region, which is made from the mencia grape. This wine was a total surprise to me. I'd never had it before. It is not easy to find in Minnesota. I enjoyed the Rioja wines, but the wines from Bierzo were my absolute favorite.

Hi,

I like also Rioja wine ; it's my favorite Spanish wine ...

... but I liked very much the Ribera del Guadiana and Extremadura wines when I walked last year during 2 weeks from Sevilla on Via de la Plata.

Théo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I drink the 59 cent wine in the cartons. :p
I had that once on the suggestion of a Catalan policewoman who thought I should learn about the quality of wine served in Spanish prisons.

In the back stretches of the Catalan and Aragonese caminos I was often served some extraordinary wine out of jugs on the table (extraordinary works both ways-- I recall one glass of vino joven which was suitable for bicycle chains, and a village later, black-red velvet which creates a whole new category of sin). I note only one mention of the mencia wines of Bierzo-- I first saw the grapes being picked on the way into Astorga and thought I should try a bottle that night-- I have been an addict ever since. And should your name day or somebody else's fall on a day when you need a pick-me-up, there is nothing at all wrong with a bottle of cava among friends to honour the saint.

We were coming to the end of our Camino and checked into a small hostel one day out of Santiago. OI asked the server for a Rioja as I had become increasing tired of drinking the "pilgrim wine" and wanted something a little better.
The server looked at be and said no.....he wanted us to try the wine native to Bierzo, and brought us a wine made from Mencia grapes.
OMG......I was never so impressed. This was a little bolder than the Rioja's I had been drinking, but the gentle nature of the grape was a complete delight.
I now actively search out Mencia wines. I do warn you...they are much more difficult to find....but are so worth the effort.
IMHO.
c

I had that once on the suggestion of a Catalan policewoman who thought I should learn about the quality of wine served in Spanish prisons.

In the back stretches of the Catalan and Aragonese caminos I was often served some extraordinary wine out of jugs on the table (extraordinary works both ways-- I recall one glass of vino joven which was suitable for bicycle chains, and a village later, black-red velvet which creates a whole new category of sin). I note only one mention of the mencia wines of Bierzo-- I first saw the grapes being picked on the way into Astorga and thought I should try a bottle that night-- I have been an addict ever since. And should your name day or somebody else's fall on a day when you need a pick-me-up, there is nothing at all wrong with a bottle of cava among friends to honour the saint.

Embedded in this post is a fact that anyone involved with the criminal justice system in the US would find absolutely astonishing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We were coming to the end of our Camino and checked into a small hostel one day out of Santiago. OI asked the server for a Rioja as I had become increasing tired of drinking the "pilgrim wine" and wanted something a little better.
The server looked at be and said no.....he wanted us to try the wine native to Bierzo, and brought us a wine made from Mencia grapes.
OMG......I was never so impressed. This was a little bolder than the Rioja's I had been drinking, but the gentle nature of the grape was a complete delight.
I now actively search out Mencia wines. I do warn you...they are much more difficult to find....but are so worth the effort.
IMHO.
c
Very much like my experience.

Txacoli! Then sidra. Got to love the northern routes and Basque country. Discovered Txacoli by accident, in a tiny bar not listed in the guide, a blessing since I had not eaten enough that morning for the day ahead. The "bar" was across the street from the Flysch winery and the lady tending it offered me a glass. When superbly well with my slice of tuna steak and tomato salad.

Embedded in this post is a fact that anyone involved with the criminal justice system in the US would find absolutely astonishing.

Never having seen the inside of a Spanish prison, I could not verify this directly. But I heard a similar reference from a Madrid businessman with respect to the vino de mesa offered that day, so I queried him, wondering if I had heard correctly. He said that prison wine was terrible: it is one thing to deprive a man of his liberty, but another to deprive him of nourishment. Perhaps another forum member, with some sort of direct knowledge, could verify this phenomenon. One wondered if one's leg was being pulled, but as Spanish prisons feature flamenco contests to reduce inmate violence (see Tremlett's Ghosts of Spain), I am ready to believe it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My favourite is from the water/wine fountain at Bodegas Irache in Navarra.IMG_20150313_081238_rewind.jpg

Clearly I had already helped myself to too much...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi Kerrychick here my best night out was 2014 at the Logrono wine festival ,best wine and music all night long .

Last autumn I was walking the Camino del Sureste and arrived in Rueda at about 11am. I don't normally drink before lunch, but thought it would be fun to be able to boast that I'd drunk Rueda in Rueda, so asked for a copita in a bar on the main drag. The nice barmaid then poured out nearly half a bottle of verdejo for me. It was a deliciously crisp and refreshing drink, but I think the next few km on towards Tordesillas took a little longer than the previous ones...
Hi last time i did a camino 2014 when i arrived in Melinde it was 11am but i was told to enjoy the octopus you must have red wine with it so a whole bottle later i walked 10k very happily giggling all the way .

Hi last time i did a camino 2014 when i arrived in Melinde it was 11am but i was told to enjoy the octopus you must have red wine with it so a whole bottle later i walked 10k very happily giggling all the way .
I found that I was much more adventurous with all tapas and pintxos if I first drank some wine to lubricate the pipes!

My midday drink, however, is cerveza con limon---it just hits the spot!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My favourite is from the water/wine fountain at Bodegas Irache in Navarra.View attachment 23497
I love this wine even at 9am its still gets me going happily on my way.

Given a choice between water and wine !!
well im Irish so thats an easy one lol.

I love this wine even at 9am its still gets me going happily on my way.

Given a choice between water and wine !!
well im Irish so thats an easy one lol.
Thats why i just luffff Irish women .....and ofcourse for their dancing :)
Anyone walks around with a camelbag filled secretly with wine ????
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back