• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Etiquette - or I don't want to be a Jerk

Seabird

Time of past OR future Camino
CF April/May (2016), starting in St. Palais, France
So, I am starting my first thread after looking through FAQs, doing a search, etc. Please forgive me if I've overlooked obvious answers on this fabulous forum.

Can you give me some tips for proper "management" of my backpack on the Camino? Do I leave it outside when going into a bar? a cafe? a shop? a church? (keeping my valuables with me, of course.)

Also, I've seen some discussion about backpack issues within the albergues, but what would you consider to be a list of "best practices" in albergues? I'll be a newbie, but I don't want to be a jerk!

Attachments

• backpack.jpg
    backpack.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 19
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello! I walked the camino in June. I carried my valuables on me at all times in a tiny fanny pack. I usually would bring my backpack into cafes and place it at my feet, but a lot of times, in really small towns, people leave their packs outside. It's really up to you what you do, but I would always keep on eye on it. I didn't usually stay in albergues because I was walking with a group, so I don't know the etiquette in albuergues.
Hope this helped.
Buen Camino!

Never put your backpack on your bunk. That's one thing I can think of. It's a big no-no. If you want to, have a clean plastic bag or something like that to lay it on.
That's the only thing I can think of at the moment. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The basic rule (as stated above) is never put your pack on the bunk. The reason is that it has been placed on the ground, in the dirt and may be carrying insects including bedbugs.
Leaving it outside of a bar is a bit trusting but you see it all the time. I would never leave it outside where anyone in a car or on a bicycle could just pick it up. The thought that pilgrims have valuables in the pack would be a strong incentive to those so inclined to steal things. You (probably) would not leave it on the sidewalk outside a café or store in your home town....at least most of us would not.
I take my pack pretty much everywhere I go when walking and then leave it in the albergues (minus valuables) when I leave for dinner, etc.

In the albergues, the common practice is to try to keep the common area of the aisles clear. The person in the top bunk has a problem of where to put his pack so as not to block the lower bunk.
It is a bit different everywhere but the main idea is to share the limited space as much as possible. The lower bunk usually makes provisions for the person in the upper bunk.

Never put your backpack on your bunk.
If I may add .... don't put it on any other bunk either, even if that bunk is unoccupied. If your pack dirties whatever is covering the mattress, no one will thank you. And that includes the hospitalero.

And don't assume, when in an albergue, that if you rest your pack on an empty chair, if one is available, that you are entitled to sole use of said chair. We had a very lively discussion regarding this in another thread. :):)

It's rare to see signs at the entrance to bars asking you to leave your pack outside, but there are a few. One such place is (I think) in Portela de Valcarce, where the bar is also a shop with nicely arranged displays of produce. These have presumably ended up on the floor several times! The rule there is enforced quite fiercely, but the guy is actually very pleasant once compliance is secured.
In general just make sure your pack isn't obstructing anything. It's common sense really, and the fact that you've asked about it suggests yours won't be a problem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Seabird, you might want to check out the thread on Albergue Etiquette. It is now a little long with a few deviations and distractions, but still has some pretty good advice if you have the time to sift through the contributions.

The one issue that I can think of that hasn't been touched on here but which I think is discussed in the Albergue Etiquette thread is that of packing your gear into your pack in the morning. Some of us would probably cheerfully throttle the early risers who seem to spend forever rustling plastic bags as they prepare to leave. If you are tempted to do that, see if you can do it outside of the dormitory in some common area away from those still trying to sleep.

Half the space under the bunk belongs to the upper bunk. Half the bunk posts belong to each bunk (hanging a pack from a post keeps it off the floor and partially away from bed bugs). A chair is for sitting, not pack or equipment storage (unless there is one chair for each bed). A ladder is for climbing, not laundry. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I sometimes left my pack outside cafes while sitting inside, but I often felt a little uncomfortable, so eventually I just brought my bag into the cafes when I couldn't sit outside - it never caused a problem. And I agree - you should carry your pilgrim passport, regular passport/id card, credit card money on you and put them in your sleeping bag at night.

Another reason not to put your pack on the bunk is to avoid getting bed bugs if the bed happen to be infested. I also delay opening my sleeping bag until I go to bed.

So, I am starting my first thread after looking through FAQs, doing a search, etc. Please forgive me if I've overlooked obvious answers on this fabulous forum.

Can you give me some tips for proper "management" of my backpack on the Camino? Do I leave it outside when going into a bar? a cafe? a shop? a church? (keeping my valuables with me, of course.)

Also, I've seen some discussion about backpack issues within the albergues, but what would you consider to be a list of "best practices" in albergues? I'll be a newbie, but I don't want to be a jerk!
I didn't stay in Albergues in small towns I left my backpack outside the cafe church no problem ever Buen Camino

Half the space under the bunk belongs to the upper bunk. Half the bunk posts belong to each bunk (hanging a pack from a post keeps it off the floor and partially away from bed bugs). A chair is for sitting, not pack or equipment storage (unless there is one chair for each bed). A ladder is for climbing, not laundry. :)

I wish I'd had YOU to tell that to the very rude pilgrim who insisted all four bunkposts were HIS because the top bunk was HIS!
I wanted to clobber him!

I pretty much agree with what grayland said.

However, I NEVER leave my pack on the floor in an albergue, never.
Bedbugs walk, they don't fly - and that's the quickest way to get bug in your pack.
I look for a place to hang my pack (bedpost) or I keep a large black garbage bag to put it in if there's no place but the floor.
I DO use chairs next to the bed if they are available and obviously belong to my bed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Chairs may also be a way to get to the top bunk if there is no ladder, especially for the less-agile pilgrim. Don't leave your stuff on them. I did not think kindly of the bottom-bunk pilgrim the night I was stricken with a nasty stomach bug and his stuff was not only on the chair, but on the floor the whole length of the bed. Rude.

When you wear a backpack, you are twice your usual size up top. You take up twice the usual amount of floor and shoulder-space.
Therefore, when you wade into a crowded room (or bus or train), you feel like you're just your usual bulk, but you are a great big top-heavy item. And if you turn around suddenly, or bend over a bit, everyone around you gets a good shove of your canvas. Including the lady carrying a tray of hot coffees..
So, if the cafe is crowded and you're not in a big city, take off your pack and stand it alongside the wall outside. If your pack is only full of old laundry, no worries. But if you brought along all your electronica/family jewels/etc. and you must bring the thing inside, carry it in your hands, so you can better determine where your big self will fit and move without beaning anyone else.

Chairs may also be a way to get to the top bunk if there is no ladder, especially for the less-agile pilgrim. Don't leave your stuff on them. I did not think kindly of the bottom-bunk pilgrim the night I was stricken with a nasty stomach bug and his stuff was not only on the chair, but on the floor the whole length of the bed. Rude.
i agree,the chair is often the safest/easiest way up and down from the top bunk..common sense and basic manners will keep everyone happy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Frankly, it's not all that complicated. Don't do to others what you don't want to be done to you. Thus, respect other people, even though some do not behave in the same manner. Ask for permission to do this, that or the other: most of the times people will accommodate.;)

Yup, a chair is for sitting and often does double-duty in an albergue as an assisting step-up to the top bunk. It certainly is not for storage of backpacks and other clothing and gear. Just plain rude and inconsiderate to do so.
I too saw pilgrims do that routine of leaving a bunch of gear on the chairs or the floor, right next to the bunks. I'd climb down and walk to the bathroom or whatever, kicking the stuff aside the whole way. Got a couple of dirty looks, but never once did any of them say anything to me. Some folks just gotta learn the hard way......

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Often, in albergues where I've stayed, there are single beds with chairs beside them.If there is a chair beside my bed, I assume it's mine and use it.

I agree if it's the only chair available and you are on the bottom bunk, and there is no other way into the top bunk, it should be left open.

When you wear a backpack, you are twice your usual size up top. You take up twice the usual amount of floor and shoulder-space.
Therefore, when you wade into a crowded room (or bus or train), you feel like you're just your usual bulk, but you are a great big top-heavy item. And if you turn around suddenly, or bend over a bit, everyone around you gets a good shove of your canvas. Including the lady carrying a tray of hot coffees..
So, if the cafe is crowded and you're not in a big city, take off your pack and stand it alongside the wall outside. If your pack is only full of old laundry, no worries. But if you brought along all your electronica/family jewels/etc. and you must bring the thing inside, carry it in your hands, so you can better determine where your big self will fit and move without beaning anyone else.
Well said Rebekah. For us blokes the "family jewels" are always with us!

Thanks all -- I had gotten the gist of the chair/backpack issue when previously reading the Albergue etiquette thread. But there are really helpful additional suggestions here about cafes and in the albergues.

Another reason not to put your pack on the bunk is to avoid getting bed bugs if the bed happen to be infested. I also delay opening my sleeping bag until I go to bed.

@Draganban -- if you didn't open your sleeping bag, how did you "claim" your bed?

However, I NEVER leave my pack on the floor in an albergue, never.
Bedbugs walk, they don't fly - and that's the quickest way to get bug in your pack.
I look for a place to hang my pack (bedpost) or I keep a large black garbage bag to put it in if there's no place but the floor.

Great idea to use a garbage bag to hold your backpack when needed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Leaving it outside of a bar is a bit trusting but you see it all the time. I would never leave it outside where anyone in a car or on a bicycle could just pick it up. The thought that pilgrims have valuables in the pack would be a strong incentive to those so inclined to steal things. You (probably) would not leave it on the sidewalk outside a café or store in your home town....at least most of us would not.
I take my pack pretty much everywhere I go when walking and then leave it in the albergues (minus valuables) when I leave for dinner, etc.
In a quiet town I would leave it outside with my sticks but I would have my essentials in my cargo pocket of my shorts.
And good luck for anyone trying to easily grab an Aarnpack. They are light once on but if you are not used to them they are really awkward and heavy to pick up.

Otherwise it's a case of being very careful if you take it inside.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I may add .... don't put it on any other bunk either, even if that bunk is unoccupied. If your pack dirties whatever is covering the mattress, no one will thank you. And that includes the hospitalero.

And don't assume, when in an albergue, that if you rest your pack on an empty chair, if one is available, that you are entitled to sole use of said chair. We had a very lively discussion regarding this in another thread. :):)
I have to say packs on empty chairs indicates a level of cluelessness. I know it sounds petty. Every pilgrim I ever met just wanted a place to sit and rest no matter where they were. Please don't put your pack on a chair.

I have to say packs on empty chairs indicates a level of cluelessness. I know it sounds petty. Every pilgrim I ever met just wanted a place to sit and rest no matter where they were. Please don't put your pack on a chair.
That's what is so wonderful about this Forum. We can have great discussions, among friends, and meanwhile we can all become less clueless. :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery

My only comment is to not place it on a chair. It's nice to have a place to sit especially when you on in a bunk bed.

I have my valuables in deep zipped pockets on my person and leave my backpack out of the way when entering bars and restaurants - it is often a matter of commonsense - if there is room, take it inside, if no room I leave it outside. If having my pack stolen becomes a big issue it is time to stop walking the camino. And yes, I have an Aarn pack with front pockets that would be awkward to grab.
I agree that packs should never be put on chairs in bars - it robs other pilgrims of a place to sit and the bar owners of revenue. I always look to share my table with others, particularly once the route gets crowded.
I appreciate chairs left vacant beside the bunk - but find that rare.
Another bit of etiquette to think about is to remove wet ponchos and rain jackets (and umbrellas) before entering bars, if there is any kind of porch or overhang outside.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello; I traveled both Caminos with my wife, so in areas where there may be a high risk (big towns, for example), one of us would stay with the backpacks. In most small towns, at a cafe with other Pilgrims, we'd have no issue leaving our packs outside. Everyone watches out for everyone else, like a family.

As for albergues, NEVER leave your pack or clothes on chairs. Enough said.

As said earlier, the top bunk gets half of the posts and space at the foot to lean your pack. Our learning was that the packs, especially when looking through them, would fall over. On Camino 2, we put a 12' velcro (hook and loop) strip, like those that come with your laptop power cord, on the loop/handle on the top of the backpack. This allowed us to attach the backpack to a footboard of the bunk so it didn't fall over. It also worked well to attach our packs to a fence, for example, outside a restaurant. If a "grab and run" was to occur, the pack would probably get ripped out of their hands.

When I ran into fellow Pilgrims who laid their gear out in the floor space between bunks at night, I would always respectfully and carefully, pick up their gear - I often felt their eyes on me as I did this - and set it aside under the bunk. It perhaps showed someone another way/place to store their gear that is still nearby and provides easy access without impeding others.

Golden rule my friends, that's all you got to remember.

..........When I ran into fellow Pilgrims who laid their gear out in the floor space between bunks at night, I would always respectfully and carefully, pick up their gear .......... and set it aside under the bunk.
:D:D:D Anybody who could do that with a straight face gets my vote. You are a good man!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just got back and the Camino had a lot of walkers. I did not see and did not hear of any thefts. Here is what I felt comfortable doing:
  • In Albergues, no issues leaving my pack closed up beside my bunk and going out. Everyone else did the same that I saw.
  • In Albergues, there were tables full of phones and tablets charging with nobody around. No problems that I heard of.
  • In Albergues, chairs should be available for anybody's use. Putting your stuff on them and leaving or going to sleep is inconsiderate. I did see some of that.
  • Always, I kept my important papers, valuables, and money with me in a fanny pack. Even to the shower. No problems to report.
  • Outside of Albergues in small towns that were not yet open, I did observe a line of packs with only a couple people around. No problems to report.
  • I always placed my pack outside of bars in small towns. Most people did. Otherwise it is too crowded inside. In larger, busier towns, the pack always stayed with me at bars. After the first week, you knew enough people that you felt more comfortable and trusting around them. Most of the time there was one person available to keep an eye on things while others went inside to order or visit the loo.
  • I did not hear of anybody's pocket being picked and was not approached by any person arousing my suspicion.
  • I felt safe and my stuff was not messed with during my entire Camino. It was great! Spain is very safe and crime-free compared to other places, in my opinion.

I used a carabiner to hang my pack from bunk posts (I was pretty much always in the top bunk because I walked with an older friend). They are very lightweight to carry and able to hold heavy weights.
I saw that referenced somewhere else -- seems very useful.

On Camino 2, we put a 12' velcro (hook and loop) strip, like those that come with your laptop power cord, on the loop/handle on the top of the backpack. This allowed us to attach the backpack to a footboard of the bunk so it didn't fall over. It also worked well to attach our packs to a fence, for example, outside a restaurant. If a "grab and run" was to occur, the pack would probably get ripped out of their hands.

I love this idea -- it's so frustrating to have the pack fall over.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just got back and the Camino had a lot of walkers. I did not see and did not hear of any thefts. Here is what I felt comfortable doing:
  • In Albergues, no issues leaving my pack closed up beside my bunk and going out. Everyone else did the same that I saw.
  • In Albergues, there were tables full of phones and tablets charging with nobody around. No problems that I heard of.
  • In Albergues, chairs should be available for anybody's use. Putting your stuff on them and leaving or going to sleep is inconsiderate. I did see some of that.
  • Always, I kept my important papers, valuables, and money with me in a fanny pack. Even to the shower. No problems to report.
  • Outside of Albergues in small towns that were not yet open, I did observe a line of packs with only a couple people around. No problems to report.
  • I always placed my pack outside of bars in small towns. Most people did. Otherwise it is too crowded inside. In larger, busier towns, the pack always stayed with me at bars. After the first week, you knew enough people that you felt more comfortable and trusting around them. Most of the time there was one person available to keep an eye on things while others went inside to order or visit the loo.
  • I did not hear of anybody's pocket being picked and was not approached by any person arousing my suspicion.
  • I felt safe and my stuff was not messed with during my entire Camino. It was great! Spain is very safe and crime-free compared to other places, in my opinion.
Sounds like a wonderful experience. Can't wait for mine.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
:D:D:D Anybody who could do that with a straight face gets my vote. You are a good man!
It's kind of you to think so, but the Camino, for some reason, brings out the very best in me (most of the time? some of the time?). It is my opportunity to be who I really want to be without fear of being judged or responded to negatively. But it is easy when you are treated so well by the other Pilgrims and locals. It gets in the air. Luckily, I've been able to extend that a little into normal life. Honestly, I've not actually had to move someone's stuff very often, and it mostly has been shoes, pants, a towel once, etc., so easily done.

Last edited:
..........but the Camino..........brings out the very best in me.
It's good to hear that. I was not at my best when I walked, but the Camino did work its magic and I feel I made steady progress. I can now dream that on my next Camino my best will shine through. By the way, I am having some trouble reconciling your avatar with what you say in your post. That's Oscar the Grouch, isn't it? :D

I think the Camino can bring out the best AND the worst in people.
That's what's so great about it.
You get to KNOW yourself.
Unfortunately, you may also be around when the worst is coming out in others.
Just try to remember you had your bad days too.
It's difficult when you're hot and exhausted, but sometimes a kind word can break the spell of grouchiness.

I once was at a checkstand and had watched the checker be rude to MANY people before she got to me.

When I got up there, I asked her, "Are you ok?" and she burst out in tears.
She was just having a horrible day worrying about some personal issue - maybe it was money, children, a sick relative - I don't know.
But just asking her helped.
She said, "I'm so sorry - thanks for asking - I'm having a crappy day," picked her heart up, and continued checking with a better attitude.

We all have those days... Even the rude guy in the albergue who insisted the top bunk was his, I remind myself - but on that day I was too caught up in my own tiredness to be kind. We can just do the best we can!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As I read this thread I was thinking the same thing about the Carabiner, light weight, easy to use, and now easy to find. Thanks

Angelhart

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have made myself a contraption out of two carabiners with a strap between them. It can be used to hang two backpacks off the end of a bunk bed (or just one). Keeps my pack off the floor, keeps it from tipping over - and might, for all I know and care, ensure that it isn't moved/taken.
(I do remember a couple of times when someone moved my stuff from one bed to another at an albergue when they clearly needed to bunk down next to their friend/keeper...)

One thing I do when there is no other pilgrim around to watch my bag in a bar and I need to go to the restroom is to tie the hip and chest belt of my backpack around something and clip them together. Makes a grab and run that bit more difficult if a heavy table or umbrella is attached to the backpack :rolleyes:

Buen Camino, SY

Most of it its common sense, but "real jerks" don't give a darn about it anyway and you will find plenty of then, so don't wait for the bar keeper to tell you "mochilas afuera", so bars specially the small ones , restaurants no mochilas and churches at the back of the pews its ok, as for CLOSED umbrellas, dripping rain coats etc by your mochilas, oh if you need to take a bus (intercity ) its also down the hole , inside albergues on top of the beds its a no no, and a lot of the albergues dont let take in shoes and sticks ( sticks I refuse to leave it at the door) I will snick them in some how, I have heard of too many walking away.

zzotte

Most of it its common sense, but "real jerks" don't give a darn about it anyway and you will find plenty of then, so don't wait for the bar keeper to tell you "mochilas afuera", so bars specially the small ones , restaurants no mochilas and churches at the back of the pews its ok, as for CLOSED umbrellas, dripping rain coats etc by your mochilas, oh if you need to take a bus (intercity ) its also down the hole , inside albergues on top of the beds its a no no, and a lot of the albergues dont let take in shoes and sticks ( sticks I refuse to leave it at the door) I will snick them in some how, I have heard of too many walking away.

zzotte
Thanks for the great advice. And how to say backpack in Spanish!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.