• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Augusta

AfriCat

My camino tattoo
Time of past OR future Camino
2014 - VdlP plus others
2019 - Ingles plus others
Is the any chance of having a forum for the Via Augusta set up, rather than trying to fit in to the Via de la Plata forum?
Having walked from Cádiz to Seville over the last two weeks, I plan to do an English translation (of sorts) of the Spanish Via Augusta (Cádiz to Sevilla) guide, with my notes added, for anyone who is interested. I will post information here once it is done, hopefully within a week or two.
I will be leaving from Guillena on Sunday.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That would be great. I want to do the Cádiz to Seville section one year as the start to the VdlP, but have been discouraged by the (relative) lack of information (and time). How did it go? I've heard it's very flat, which slightly puts me off.

Alan - yes, it is vey flat!
The section between Las Cabezas and Utrera nearly had me packing it in - 32km of mindblowingly boring flat road and track walking - not a house or cafe or village, or even interesting farmland - just the sound of the autopista in the background and the trains going by.
Other than that it was pretty good. Even though I am used to walking longish distances (up to 30km) regularly on hard surfaces, that is usually along the seafront where I have a lot to keep my mind occupied and plenty of cafes to stop for a coffee. Just walking for those 32km on very hard surfaces was a real killer. If I did it again I'd skip that section completely and rather have an extra day in Las Cabezas or somewhere else.
Highlights for me were Cádiz, Lebrija, Jerez. I didn't stay in Sevilla (not a big city person plus Holy Week madness), so chose to spend a few rest days in Alcalá (just before) instead. It is a lovely town - big enough to be lively, but manageable even with the crowds this time of year.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That does sound tedious, as I do hate flat, and 32km without coffee is a lot, especially if it's hot. I love Jerez but have never been to Alcalá or Cádiz, so perhaps a treat in store.

You'll find the next stages on from Seville are much more eventful, including a very steep climb (almost a scramble) just before Almadén de la Plata. It's glorious undulating countryside almost all the way to Santiago once you leave Castilblanco de los Arroyos. A bit flat between Zafra and Torremejia, and between Salamanca and Zamora, but not really enough to complain about.

I wonder how many of you that have walked Via Augusta took the Jerez airport option instead of Sevilla (if coming by plane, of course). I know that www.vueling.com fly to both airports.
I guess if someone is coming from overseas Madrid or Barcelona airports are more popular. And from there with train/bus to Sevilla/Cadiz?

K1

Is the any chance of having a forum for the Via Augusta set up, rather than trying to fit in to the Via de la Plata forum?

There is now a new forum, Via Augusta. :)
We will soon start moving old threads to it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi AfriCat,
Have you produced your notes on the Via Augusta ? have I missed them somewhere?
I've booked a flight into Jerez on April 8 2016, and am begining to put some info together from the usual sources, I've got the Cadiz amigos guide, looked at Mundicamino, I've down loaded and printed the "walking pilgrim" maps, but upto date info from someone that has recently walked the route would be great.
regards
George

Having walked from Cádiz to Seville over the last two weeks, I plan to do an English translation (of sorts) of the Spanish Via Augusta (Cádiz to Sevilla) guide, with my notes added, for anyone who is interested. I will post information here once it is done, hopefully within a week or two.
I will be leaving from Guillena on Sunday.
Hi. I plan to walk this way March 2016. Any information and advice you can glean would be very much appreciated. Thank you and best wishes for your Camino

Hi AfriCat,
Have you produced your notes on the Via Augusta ? have I missed them somewhere?
I've booked a flight into Jerez on April 8 2016, and am begining to put some info together from the usual sources, I've got the Cadiz amigos guide, looked at Mundicamino, I've down loaded and printed the "walking pilgrim" maps, but upto date info from someone that has recently walked the route would be great.
regards
George

Hi George
I'm planning to get the notes completed over the festive break, so should ahve something to share around end January 2016. I'll post details on this forum when available.
Wish I was returning to walk again in 2016...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.