• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Issues with taking Cycle Helmet as Carry-on Luggage

Time of past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola - it's just occurred to me that there may be issues with me taking my helmet with me - as carry-on luggage. I am taking my bike but I doubt I can pack the helmet in with the bike. Anyone had any experience with airlines not cooperating?? Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nah, I've even seen people wear them onto the plane to keep their carry on small enough to satisfy the bag police.

I have packed it in the bike box inside the main triangle and found it still intact though.

I have not had personal experience as I am a pieton peregrino. But, over my many years traveling, I have seen people bring bicycle and motorcycle helmets onboard aircraft. However, the presence of a helmet can be unnerving to some passengers.

I suggest that the less conspicuous the helmet is the less anxious the cabin crew will be. They can override the security screening, and make you leave it behind if the presence of a helmet makes them uncomfortable. If they cannot see it, they will not react to it...

I recommend using a soft carry-on bag, like a 20 liter ultra-light, sil-nylon daypack. Place the helmet at the bottom of the bag, perhaps with a clothing item or something else over the outside so it does not "print" through the thin material. Pile your other carry-on stuff inside and on top of the helmet. That way, only TSA, or your local airport security agency, will see the helmet in the x-ray machine. You can easily explain that to them by showing them your biking gloves or other items you may also have with you as carry-on.

If you are renting a bike in Spain/France, bring a hard copy of the receipt to show at security if questions are asked. If your bike is going as checked luggage, explain that. The security services can usually verify the fact with the carrier quickly. In the US, the TSA has online connectivity with the airline baggage system. If you show them the check tag, they can verify it.

The sil-nylon daypack is invaluable on the Camino as a shopping sack, tourist day bag, laundry bag, or airline carry-on bag. It can also be worn on your chest "reversed" if you are riding a road bike and are in a low riding posture, possibly to carry stuff you might want quick to hand throughout the day's ride. If riding a mountain bike, you can carry it on your back. Or, when packed away, these bags are all about the size of a tennis ball.

Try to buy the brightest color you can find, or at least one that creates contrast with natural surroundings. It adds a layer of visibility and safety, especially on roads.

Remember, the Camino is not a fashion parade. Nor, is it the Tour de France. You can only go as fast as the pilgrims in front of you on a trail, or if on a road, as quickly as road conditions, weather, and your physical conditioning allows. The ride is more of a Morse Code pattern. Lots of walking dots, interspersed with some sprints. Be careful of downhill runs when walking pilgrims might be ahead of you. THEY CANNOT HEAR YOU APPROACHING!

Walking pilgrims are required to walk FACING ONCOMING TRAFFIC. Bicyclists are supposed to ride WITH THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC. However, this has not been my observation over three Caminos.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, mount a bell on your bike! The ratchet-supported, "brrring, brrring, brrring..." sound is better for walking pilgrims ahead of you than the spring loading "bing, bing, bing" sound. However, ANY bell is way better for walking pilgrims than no bell. Remember that some pilgrims, misinformed as they are, will persist in wearing ear buds and music players...go figure...

I hope this helps...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have not had personal experience as I am a pieton peregrino. But, over my many years traveling, I have seen people bring bicycle and motorcycle helmets onboard aircraft. However, the presence of a helmet can be unnerving to some passengers.
Try to buy the brightest color you can find, or at least one that creates contrast with natural surroundings. It adds a layer of visibility and safety, especially on roads.

Remember, the Camino is not a fashion parade. Nor, is it the Tour de France. You can only go as fast as the pilgrims in front of you on a trail, or if on a road, as quickly as road conditions, weather, and your physical conditioning allows. The ride is more of a Morse Code pattern. Lots of walking dots, interspersed with some sprints. Be careful of downhill runs when walking pilgrims might be ahead of you. THEY CANNOT HEAR YOU APPROACHING!

Walking pilgrims are required to walk FACING ONCOMING TRAFFIC. Bicyclists are supposed to ride WITH THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC. However, this has not been my observation over three Caminos. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, mount a bell on your bike! The ratchet-supported, "brrring, brrring, brrring..." sound is better for walking pilgrims ahead of you than the spring loading "bing, bing, bing" sound. However, ANY bell is way better for walking pilgrims than no bell. Remember that some pilgrims, misinformed as they are, will persist in wearing ear buds and music players...go figure... I hope this helps...
Hola T2 - thanks for a very informative response. Yes I am taking my own bike so will investigate Newfydog's suggestion of packing it with the bike. I have a bell (in fact will be fitting a new one today) and I use it to alert the walkers/joggers I encounter here at home (in Oz). It's my aim to ride as much of the Camino trail as possible, but where the roads run beside will use the roads. I am all for sharing the Way. Cheers.

I think try and pack it with the bike. I managed to get several bits of kit and toolbag, helmet, gloves etc all in with the bike - as well as wrapping all 'delicate' bits of bike in bubblewrap to help it thru the bruising experience of going in the hold! If you have ever watched the luggage being put in the hold - you will want to add as much padding as possible!

I have worn/carried my helmet as carry on baggage:
1 it will not get damaged
2 less to pack
3 less weight as the carry on kg limit was high and bike used most of my in-hold allowance.

I took a bike on BA to Finland last week and for the first time had trouble with them accepting a CTC plastic bag for the bike, eventually with help from a baggage handler who told them that the carried them yesterday they gave in but it still seems to depend on the bloody mindedness of the person in charge. This may apply to the helmet too.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks to those above with various suggestions. We packed the bike yesterday - being an XL (MTB-Hydbrid) it more than filled the box - even had "fun" getting the pack-rack in (had to take it off). So with the box full the helmet will become carry-on luggage. I will put it in plastic bag so can be easily examined and easier to handle. Cheers for now; next post from Pamplona or somewhere to the West of that city.

On the way home put my helmet in my back pack (sea to summit highly recommended, packs up into something as someone else said about the size of a tennis bag). Never had a problem through numerous security checks.
Took all my stuff in a IKEA blue zip Frakta bag (panniers helmet etc) recommended by someone on this site. Worked great. However, ended up not being able to walk more than 20 yards and could not carry the Frakta bag on my back, so bought a lightweight carryon suitcase with 4 wheels on the bottom for around $40 in SDC from a store near the Cathedral which worked out great, pushed it along for 30 or so yards and then sat on it till I recovered). Was able to put the suitcase with all my stuff in it on the pannier rack and ride the bike down to a bike shop where I sold it, the bike that is, and then walk and sit on the suitcase to the airporter stop in Galicia Square.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Final Report: in the end I ended up putting the helmet in a draw-string stuff sack and let airport security examine it. On board it went into the overhead locker with my other two carry-on bags. It work both ways on the 4 flights. (BTW this was in business class so I am not sure how it would work if travelling economy). Thanks for all the suggestions. Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?
I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back