• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why don't pensioners live on the Camino?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nah - she has a property and all the costs and cares that go with it - I am speaking of walking pilgrims - but you knew that ;)
Was kinda hoping Kanga meant Reb would have met pensioners doing long-term Caminos. Not that she was one!
Edit.- just seen Kanga's response. Gracias a dios.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, David...are you up for it?:D
This does sound like a better option than pottering, that's for sure. (If one has a pension..not everyone does. The men in wayfarer's links sound like they weren't actually the kind of pensioners you're thinking about, but pilgs living on donations--which would be a harder road...)
(In another thread @rappahannock_rev was sounding like he's thinking of something like this...)

Even though i seem to remember only the good things from camino and i hope to walk again - somewhere at the back of my mind there are
memories of being ready to come home after the 4 or 5 weeks.
Is this heresy ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I go south in the winter as its a lot warmer, but am running out of places to walk.....any recommendations gratefully received.

I go south in the winter as its a lot warmer, but am running out of places to walk.....any recommendations gratefully received.
Via Aurelia thru Provence - beautiful and really warm right now!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Even though i seem to remember only the good things from camino and i hope to walk again - somewhere at the back of my mind there are
Is this heresy ?
I am on day 41, with 2 days to go, and am starting to think fondly of home!

Patch if your willing to go a little further going south
New Zealand south island for six months right now getting nice and warm now.....lovely country lovely people..fishing to die for..imagine on a beach with winter sun....can't go wrong there..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not for me. It's often by contrast that we see the beauty of the other thing. Thus at the end of each camino I am always very ready to come home. And, in due course, always excited to go on camino.

I try not to spend too much time planning and anticipating something else - enjoy whatever is on offer. Life is too short (especially at my age) to waste.

Not for me. It's often by contrast that we see the beauty of the other thing. Thus at the end of each camino I am always very ready to come home. And, in due course, always excited to go on camino.

I try not to spend too much time planning and anticipating something else - enjoy whatever is on offer. Life is too short (especially at my age) to waste.
What she said.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm a pensioner who lives on the camino. Plenty of us do.
At least one of the guys in the photos lives off the camino. (I know them personally.)

Rebekah--when I was walking through your town, I asked the lady at the nice restaurant / bar at the front end of town where your home is. She told me to go straight, and it would be on the right....I thought about you and looked for you, but was exhausted and very hot. This October it has been! I did not see your home, but thought of you, and also thought, "how rude to just go ring the doorbell!!".

If I'm ever in the neighborhood, are such stops okay? I will tell you that there was a young gentleman in the bar working on a project, on a Macbook Air, and he had some kind words for you!

Deb

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rebekah--when I was walking through your town, I asked the lady at the nice restaurant / bar at the front end of town where your home is. She told me to go straight, and it would be on the right....I thought about you and looked for you, but was exhausted and very hot. This October it has been! I did not see your home, but thought of you, and also thought, "how rude to just go ring the doorbell!!".

If I'm ever in the neighborhood, are such stops okay? I will tell you that there was a young gentleman in the bar working on a project, on a Macbook Air, and he had some kind words for you!

Deb

Deb,
People have been just knocking at our door since it became our door. It might be rude some other place, but this is the camino, and you are a pilgrim. You are welcome!

When I stayed at the Karl Leisner albergue in Hospital de Orbigo, I met an older German fellow there named Raenar who said that he had been living on the Camino for 8 years now. Wonderful fellow.

Durham: Did Raenar also tell you he is this generation's living incarnation of Jesus Christ? (yes, he is out there!)

Deb,
People have been just knocking at our door since it became our door. It might be rude some other place, but this is the camino, and you are a pilgrim. You are welcome!
That is VERY kind!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and I stayed with Reb and Paddy December 2013 for 3 days to help clean up stretches of the Camino. We had a very nice time.

Stopped at Casa Belen, a very welcoming retired German couple on the Norte.

I also met Mendiwalker, in Bilbao, who walked with us for a few Kilometers.

These folks are all very supportive and helpful to Pilgrims.

Ultreya,
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So, David...are you up for it?:D
This does sound like a better option than pottering, that's for sure. (If one has a pension..not everyone does. The men in wayfarer's links sound like they weren't actually the kind of pensioners you're thinking about, but pilgs living on donations--which would be a harder road...)
(In another thread @rappahannock_rev was sounding like he's thinking of something like this...)
What I've been musing about is this: selecting a congenial Camino town (I'm leaning towards Astorga, just now), renting a cheap room for a few months, really getting into the place, and watching the passing peregrino parade go by. After I retire, of course....

But could I stand watching without walking again?!?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good conversation, thanks for all the good inputs. To live in El Camino, that's what I call "A Real Camino Family." Closing now--for those living in El Camino and for those of us living in El Mundo Ruidoso--let the conversation continue y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Durham: Did Raenar also tell you he is this generation's living incarnation of Jesus Christ? (yes, he is out there!)

I knew I really liked that Raenar for some reason. HAHA. No, our conversation didn't get quite that far.

I'm planning to walk the CF again in Spring of 2017. I definitely will stop by your place. I didn't know about it last time and went on to Sahagun.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OK David - I give up! What's with the :(? Is it some secret signal, or just your way of saying " silence is golden"???:):):)

Sorry Mike. I put up what I thought was a gently humorous post wondering why pensioners (thinking of UK pensioners really) didn't live on the Camino from early spring to late autumn - not meaning in a property but as a pilgrim - daily costs of utilities when living in a house in the uk are much more than the cost of refugios so there would be a profit there. Pension is paid into bank accounts so no problems there either ... they eat anyway so that wouldn't change - and as they would just be meandering, as it were, a few kms a day, they could carry extra weight in the form of a good lunch and the ingredients for a proper evening meal ... I thought it wasn't serious, just me playing, but it became sort of trolled by someone who took it all very seriously and negatively indeed and as I didn't really want to continue an argument, especially after I was called 'ignorant', I just deleted everything I had written - thing is, you can't delete a post, only the text, so I had to leave an emoticon on each post. Sorry about that. But think about it! All that fresh air and exercise, beautiful landscapes to walk through and the bonus of meeting interesting pilgrims of all ages from all around the world. I finished by wondering if I should suggest it to my government!! :):)

But think about it! All that fresh air and exercise, beautiful landscapes to walk through and the bonus of meeting interesting pilgrims of all ages from all around the world. I finished by wondering if I should suggest it to my government!! :):)
I might just do that: Not running for an albergue, just taking the next village, relax, have a pint, look at pilgrims and roses, etc.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sure - Spain has a huge number of foreign retirees - over 1 million Brits I think. But my point wasn't about moving into a different house with all the same costs, it was to lock up one's house and go wandering as a pilgrim, living cheaply and actually saving money doing it! ;);)

What I've been musing about is this: selecting a congenial Camino town (I'm leaning towards Astorga, just now), renting a cheap room for a few months, really getting into the place, and watching the passing peregrino parade go by. After I retire, of course....

But could I stand watching without walking again?!?
There is another way to approach this musing you have; that would be volunteering to be a hospitalero for a few weeks. You get to trade your hard work as a housekeeper, janitor, repairman and cook with 3 squares and roof over your head.
Next year I am walking for 3 weeks from Huesca to San Anton, I'll work at San Anton for half of the month at the end of June and then I am walking to Reb and Paddy's.
Being a hospitalero is a great way to meet a wide range of pilgrims. Every day is full of surprises, both good and bad.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry Mike. I put up what I thought was a gently humorous post wondering why pensioners (thinking of UK pensioners really) didn't live on the Camino from early spring to late autumn - not meaning in a property but as a pilgrim - daily costs of utilities when living in a house in the uk are much more than the cost of refugios so there would be a profit there. Pension is paid into bank accounts so no problems there either ... they eat anyway so that wouldn't change - and as they would just be meandering, as it were, a few kms a day, they could carry extra weight in the form of a good lunch and the ingredients for a proper evening meal ... I thought it wasn't serious, just me playing, but it became sort of trolled by someone who took it all very seriously and negatively indeed and as I didn't really want to continue an argument, especially after I was called 'ignorant', I just deleted everything I had written - thing is, you can't delete a post, only the text, so I had to leave an emoticon on each post. Sorry about that. But think about it! All that fresh air and exercise, beautiful landscapes to walk through and the bonus of meeting interesting pilgrims of all ages from all around the world. I finished by wondering if I should suggest it to my government!! :):)
On no! Did I miss an opportunity to take you seriously?:(

But my point wasn't about moving into a different house with all the same costs, it was to lock up one's house and go wandering as a pilgrim, living cheaply and actually saving money doing it! ;);)

I met a Korean couple on my first camino who had just done that....sold their house and decided to go 'pilgriming'...
They had turned 50 and could not have children so they just....went. I met them on and off on the way but only the husband spoke a bit of English. I will always remember them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why don't pensioners live on the Camino? ...

I know why : they'd miss 'EastEnders' too much. ;):D
And dont forget Coronation street,,,

I am preparing: Next Easter in Alicante, then 4 weeks intensive Spanish language school there, then 1 month+ walking some Camino, practising my skills.:)
In due time I will most likely rent a place in Spain for parts of the year (Winter up here in the Arctic comes to my mind....)

Is this heresy ?
But after a couple of weeks home, it all starts again....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Perhaps, in my next life... (sigh) For now, I am "suffering" in my rental flat in South Florida, watching everyone from my former abode "freezing" in what passes for seasonal weather "up there." There is not even heat installed in my apartment, only AC (airco).;)

Whilst I watch the swaying palm trees from my balcony, as I write this and finish the morning's coffee, I worry about my former flat selling, so I have the cash to buy a new home here, and fund my travels to Spain. Such is life... I consider myself very fortunate to be able to scratch enough from our fixed monthly budget to temporarily afford two homes.

But, not to worry, St. James works in strange ways. I know he's got it covered. I am trying to finagle spending several months, on several occasions, in 2016 volunteering at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

Optimally, I hope to attach a Camino to the front of one of those month-long stints. Perhaps, I shall do the Ingles. Or, perhaps I shall get off the plane in Madrid and walk to Santiago from there, via Sahagun (and a pit-stop with Paddy & Rebekah and the menagerie in Moratinos. I suppose it's better than paying for a direct bus ticket (sic)?

The ACC has reached out to me about volunteering in 2016, as I have done so for the past two years. I replied that, once my situation here stabilized, likely after the first of the year, I would be better able to make a firm commitment. As I told Montse in my reply: "Mi corazón está en Santiago, pero debe ser crecido..."

We shall see what develops...

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tom, there is nothing wrong with watching the swaying palms.
The weather on the Gulf coast has been heavenly for the past few weeks.
As you say Santiago works in strange ways and your place in Reston will sell before you know it!
Take care and happy holidays.

Tom, there is nothing wrong with watching the swaying palms.
The weather on the Gulf coast has been heavenly for the past few weeks.
As you say Santiago works in strange ways and your place in Reston will sell before you know it!
Take care and happy holidays.

We need to drive over to visit your side of paradise. I understand we are about two hours away.

Send me cell phone and address by e-mail. Later gator...

I think walking as a pensioner would be great. If you have a home you could rent it out to defray your costs further.
My husband and I have just rented our home and intend to live in a camper - mainly so we can go a'pilgrimage and float down a few rivers whenever we want. As we are not yet retired we will still have to fit in work as well - but as gardeners we can fit it in around our travels - rather than travels having to fit around work! Most people think we are mad to give up our home - but those who are pilgrims or other travel-junkies all think it's a great idea.
We may only have one life - we ought to live it well!

Hi,David. We have 2 old dogs-Staffordshire Bull Terriers who are 11 and 13 years old.When they go to doggie heaven your roaming pensioner idea might even come to fruition. I really fancy it.

This is just for information. If you build it they will come. Spain is in sixth place in Forbes' "World's Best Retirement Destinations for 2015" (a listing of 25 countries, with Spain tied in sixth place with Malta). The city of Valencia is listed in Kiplinger's December 2015 edition as one of four inexpensive cities to retire overseas. Also, US News and World Report's September 2015 edition reports that Valencia "is awash in bargains" and "is a buyers’ market." All aboard! Thank you, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

This is just for information. If you build it they will come. Spain is in sixth place in Forbes' "World's Best Retirement Destinations for 2015" (a listing of 25 countries, with Spain tied in sixth place with Malta). The city of Valencia is listed in Kiplinger's December 2015 edition as one of four inexpensive cities to retire overseas. Also, US News and World Report's September 2015 edition reports that Valencia "is awash in bargains" and "is a buyers’ market." All aboard! Thank you, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
Alas we are not all affluent retirees! I live in social housing and on a state pension. I cannot go a camino for too long as i lose my housing benefit and become homeless. I would then be a member of the under class. calling myself a pilgrim would have little difference on the entrenched attitudes of the "haves" even if i took my upper class tent ( the hilleberg akto ! ) have to be another line on the lottery im afraid but then that would reinforce the belief of those who think we spend our time watching soap. for real soap, just watch this forum:)
sighing deeply and dreaming high
the malingerer.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back