• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Map resources - European Peace Walk

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can anyone point me to a GPS or KML file for the EPW. Has anyone used the offline downloaded google maps on this route?

David, hi. I have used/created .gpx files from an offline mapping system on my Android tablet. I use this as Google maps, in my experience for the routes I am interested in, is lacking many walkways.

But, I do not understand EPW

And, I have just become aware that Google maps is now letting their stuff be downloaded.

I might be able to help you with GPS for EPW (if you tell me what it is)

And you might be able to help me with downloading Google maps for offline use.

As I understand it, the European Peace Walk varies slightly from year to year, and to find out the exact GPS would require paying the deposit and receiving the information made available to participants for that year. I may be wrong, but I do not think there would be a GPS file generally available.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
David, hi. I have used/created .gpx files from an offline mapping system on my Android tablet. I use this as Google maps, in my experience for the routes I am interested in, is lacking many walkways.

But, I do not understand EPW

And, I have just become aware that Google maps is now letting their stuff be downloaded.

I might be able to help you with GPS for EPW (if you tell me what it is)

And you might be able to help me with downloading Google maps for offline use.
As I understand it, the European Peace Walk varies slightly from year to year, and to find out the exact GPS would require paying the deposit and receiving the information made available to participants for that year. I may be wrong, but I do not think there would be a GPS file generally available.

As Kanga points out EPW is a walk from Vienna to Trieste. We have registered for next June and await the detailed information package. We are veteran walkers and I keep trying to lighten the backpack. In the past I have enjoyed using the Garmin Oregon 450 with basemaps from the National mapping agencies of France, Spain, Switzerland or Italy. This next walk involves six countries and it may be a challenge to get good basemaps, and to get them all onto the micro-USB for the Oregon. The EPW has only been operating for two or three seasons so there is not likely to be many .gpx or .kml files available as an overlay to the basemaps. The disadvantage of the Garmin is that it needs to have its batteries changed every day, and some days during the day as well- that means carrying spare rechargeable batteries and a battery charger for 4 AA batteries. But with the Oregon we are never lost, we can monitor the ascents and descents, and we can keep track of how far we have gone and how far there remains to go. It will plot detailed directions to whatever address we are looking for. Its useful without the .gpx files but is better with them. ( The .gpx files do not need to be exact since the route is not likely to change significantly each year.) It is easy to read even in the brightest sunshine. But I am considering leaving it home for this next walk and will need to if I don't get the basemaps. I'm considering alternatives - that would mean using features on our Android phones or tablets that I am unfamiliar with. Others have reported considerable satisfaction using their phone or tablet. Now that Google maps can be downloaded my main reservation of trying this method should disappear - ie having to use mobile data and the cost of roaming with the phone or tablet. If the downloaded maps work, can .gpx files be overlaid? Are the maps for the Vienna to Trieste walk useful for off-road navigation? Can they be easily read outdoors in the sun? Will the batteries still last all day? If not Google maps is there a better alternative that can be used offline on the route we will walk next summer?

The free app MotionX GPS has free base maps to download. Any available .gpx files can be downloaded and added to the base maps if wanted.
Simple operation and simple to use while walking.
Works great on all Camino routes and would work easily from the EPW as well.
That way...it is all on your iPhone ( maybe android also) .
Add a cheap and small external battery and you are good to go without a dedicated GPS unit.

The free app MotionX GPS has free base maps to download. Any available .gpx files can be downloaded and added to the base maps if wanted.
Works great on all Camino routes and would work easily from the EPW as well.
That way...it is all on your iPhone ( maybe android also) .
Add a cheap and small external battery and you are good to go without a dedicated GPS unit.

Sadly according to the Motion X website the App is only available for apple products. Both my phone and tablet are Android. If any one has positive experience with an Android app I would love to know. I have obtained the EPW .gpx and .kml files from last year and would share them if the EPW people are agreeable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I nearly walked European Peace Walk 2015, but had to 'pull out'. My understanding was that it started 2014; that the route change slightly in 2015; they are eager to improve a few aspects of it eg accomodation options and support.; it's a beautiful walk; you must contact them to register so that they know how many are on the track; it isn't all year round but had a 'season'; this year's walk starting date was 25th July from memory and people nominate their starting date so that accomodation along the way has a 'rough idea' of how many may be coming through; you can stay more than 1 night; the EPW is only restarting and has not many volunteers to assist. When more can help with things like signage etc, they hope to have a longer season.
The people are very helpful via email and respond quickly.
Hope to do it some time still.

@GlenysP & @SYates
As I understand the OP has already registered for EPW: "...We have registered for next June and await the detailed information package...." and is looking for additional info.

:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I understand that @KinkyOne , I posted the link for the benefit of others that might read this thread.
Buen Camino, SY

This free app now appears to be $2.59 (unless I'm looking at the wrong thing)

Yes, I understand that @KinkyOne , I posted the link for the benefit of others that might read this thread.
Buen Camino, SY
Thanks KinkyOne, I also saw in the other post that he'd mentioned that he'd registered. It appears to be a walk that few know about so my info was more general for any other readers. I only know of it because a friend has done it both years. However, I don't have the answers to the OPs initial request. Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks to all for your input. The EPW folks have sent me both the .gpx and .kml files for the EPW route and have indicated that they have no objection to these being provided to this forum. I would be happy to do that if there was an obvious way of uploading the zipped file that I have that has these files. The route next year will not be exactly the same, but the route will not change substantially. Loading the .kml files into Google Earth will provide a good look at this walk . But I would like to get back to my original post. I'm attracted to the Motion X solution that Greyland identified, but its only available to iPod or iPhone owners. I would like to consider an Android solution that can use the EPW .gpx files as an overlay to a basemap that covers the area of the EPW. David

Both my phone and tablet are Android. If any one has positive experience with an Android app I would love to know.

David, hi

I also only use Android on both phone and a 10" tablet.

Several years ago I settled on OSMAND+ as the mapping system that worked for me. Once you have downloaded your chosen region/country at home you are ready to go out and work offline. There are both free (OSMAND) and one-time fee (OSMAND+) versions.

OSMAND+ loads .gpx files placed in the /tracks folder.

And with OSMAND+ you can create your own .gpx files, either by recording your journey as you go or by planning a route before you go.

It has travel modes of Car, Bicycle and Pedestrian.

Most mapping systems seem to uses "tiles". These are JPEG (image) like files. For any one location you need tiles for every layer (zoom) level. This can mean a lot of tiles to download taking both time and storage space.

OSMAND+ uses "vector" graphics meaning the description of the map is used and the files, with all zoom levels, are relatively compact.

For several years the app has been under regular review making it easier to use. But, like any new system it can take a while to find how to drive it best. The latest update of the app was 25 November 2015. Maps that I am interested in are currently updated monthly from the source.

So much for the Android app.

The OSM in the name refers to Open Street Maps. Updates to the basic information is from official and volunteer sources. Earlier this year I registered to be able to make changes with the intention of adding new or adjusting existing pathways for walks I had actually done. These changes seem to find favour and are now incorporated for everyone to access either through a PC or through OSMAND+ and others who use Open Street Maps as their source.

David, hi

I also only use Android on both phone and a 10" tablet.

Several years ago I settled on OSMAND+ as the mapping system that worked for me. Once you have downloaded your chosen region/country at home you are ready to go out and work offline. There are both free (OSMAND) and one-time fee (OSMAND+) versions.

OSMAND+ loads .gpx files placed in the /tracks folder.

And with OSMAND+ you can create your own .gpx files, either by recording your journey as you go or by planning a route before you go.

It has travel modes of Car, Bicycle and Pedestrian.

Most mapping systems seem to uses "tiles". These are JPEG (image) like files. For any one location you need tiles for every layer (zoom) level. This can mean a lot of tiles to download taking both time and storage space.

OSMAND+ uses "vector" graphics meaning the description of the map is used and the files, with all zoom levels, are relatively compact.

For several years the app has been under regular review making it easier to use. But, like any new system it can take a while to find how to drive it best. The latest update of the app was 25 November 2015. Maps that I am interested in are currently updated monthly from the source.

So much for the Android app.

The OSM in the name refers to Open Street Maps. Updates to the basic information is from official and volunteer sources. Earlier this year I registered to be able to make changes with the intention of adding new or adjusting existing pathways for walks I had actually done. These changes seem to find favour and are now incorporated for everyone to access either through a PC or through OSMAND+ and others who use Open Street Maps as their source.
Many thanks Alwyn, I am happy to try it and see if it works for me. Whether you used it on a phone or tablet did you find that the battery life remained reasonable? David

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whether you used it on a phone or tablet did you find that the battery life remained reasonable?

There are two modes of use:
When either recording a track or following an existing .gpx track the battery in my phone would last 3 to 5 hours, the latter when I remembered to "blank" the screen. I would deem that to be heavy use.

When following a "blazed" track I would start it up on my phone to check a turn or some feature or distance to go or whatever, then shut it down. Typically very few if any start ups en route in these circumstances.

When you have a break it may help if you use your phone manager to delete any background apps - it always tells me that OSMAND+ is the heaviest user, but then it is the only self installed app running on my phone at the time.

I use the app on my tablet for planning purposes or for getting a bigger picture than the phone can provide. That is usually done in the evening and so close to recharging sources, so no great issue there for me.

Would love to hear how you go. And I may be able to help with issues you bump into.

Last edited:
There are two modes of use:
When either recording a track or following an existing .gpx track the battery in my phone would last 3 to 5 hours, the latter when I remembered to "blank" the screen. I would deem that to be heavy use.

When following a "blazed" track I would start it up on my phone to check a turn or some feature or distance to go or whatever, then shut it down. Typically very few if any start ups en route in these circumstances.

When you have a break it may help if you use your phone manager to delete any background apps - it always tells me that OSMAND+ is the heaviest user, but then it is the only self installed app running on my phone at the time.

I use the app on my tablet for planning purposes or for getting a bigger picture than the phone can provide. That is usually done in the evening and so close to recharging sources, so no great issue there for me.

Would love to hear how you go. And I may be able to help with issues you bump into.

Thanks Alwyn, that suggests that if I want it to work for a full day's walk, I will need supplementary power - either an extra phone battery or the rechargeable Duracell portable power cell that I recently bought as a possible solution to the problem. The next step is to try all this here before making the commitment to leaving the Garmin at home.

full day's walk

The European Peace Walk web site has an FAQ page. In the answer to Q2 they say "signs are put up".

And elsewhere I learnt no more than 20 start any one day. If you each have a common badge then recognising one another and so using the signs placed and the steps of others may be get you pretty much on the right path, just like the Camino Frances. Checking the track on your phone and then closing it down, rather than on all the time, may be a way to go.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The next step is to try all this here before making the commitment to leaving the Garmin at home.
OpenStreetMap data is available from various sources for Garmin and other dedicated GPS units. For some places, you will find that local organizations, like mountain bike clubs, etc, have extended the data set with additional information that makes it more useful for off-road users. I find the major advantage of this is that my dedicated GPS (etrex 30) lasts a couple of days on a couple of standard AA cells, and I don't compromise my phone battery life. Clearly, this won't give you some of the other features of OSMAND+, which I also use. Things like the very strong integration with wikipedia won't be available on a dedicated GPS.

I have also been looking at HERE and MAP.ME, both of which appear to use OpenStreetMap data, and supplement that with imagery (raster) provided by a web service. The apps themselves differ slightly in the functionality they provide and how they can be used, and OSMAND+ is starting to feel a bit cumbersome compared to the others. The other product I have tried lately is the IGN app from the Spanish mapping agency. This appears to use raster information either pre-loaded or from a web service. Getting the pre-loaded map data downloaded has been difficult, but where I have done so on a tablet, it is quite brilliant.

Of course, the decision to use any GPS is a personal one, as is using a dedicated GPS (or other devices like a camera). I have carried a Garmin handheld on all my pilgrimage walks, and will do so again. Others are perfectly comfortable using a multi-function device, and that is a reasonable option too.

We used Maps.me on the Norte. It was pretty good but having used IGN maps in France I prefer those - but could not find where to download IGN maps for Spain, or an app that uses them - @dougfitz could you post the URL for the Spanish mapping authority please?

We used Maps.me on the Norte. It was pretty good but having used IGN maps in France I prefer those - but could not find where to download IGN maps for Spain, or an app that uses them - @dougfitz could you post the URL for the Spanish mapping authority please?
The product catalogue is linked here. Downloads are slow!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have tested HERE and find it to be excellent and simple to use locally. It does not record your route (as far as my limited use). The local maps work fine off line.

I am not sure how to download off line maps for use in Spain.

With the various posts in the last day or so I can see the same sort of discussion coming up that one also sees about socks and kilts and ...

With a phone (Android) and a tablet (Android) and a camera I do not propose to add a dedicated GPS device.

WiFi is not yet available in every nook and cranny on even the Camino Frances or the more popular GR paths in France. So satellite images are, regrettably not in the frame. And a working set of maps on the device(s) are essential before leaving home. Although I expect to "top up" as required en route when WiFi is available.

The next step is to try all this here before making the commitment to leaving the Garmin at home.

I have also been looking at HERE and MAP.ME, both of which appear to use OpenStreetMap data, and supplement that with imagery (raster) provided by a web service.

The apps themselves differ slightly in the functionality they provide and how they can be used, and OSMAND+ is starting to feel a bit cumbersome compared to the others.

Doug, I've just spent an interesting slice of time looking at your two suggestions.

I have deprecated HERE as it does not show walkways. If I am following an off-road track that is not "blazed/marked" too well then HERE is of no use to me. It shows only in "portrait" mode (does not rotate to the orientation of the screen). It has a planning mode but I could not see a way to adjust the route if provided. As an example I asked HERE to get me from from Roncesvalles to Santiago de Compostela and it offered both car and walk (8d 4 h continuous or about 3.6 kph!). On closer inspection of a sample it seemed to be using roads throughout. While the route it chose to Burgos was more or less as expected it then went well south of Leon.

MAP.ME is a more useful well developed product. It does "get me home" planning. Their FAQ says they intend to offer planning between user selected locations but does not expand to say the user will be able to adjust the route through user selected waypoints. Currently is uses .kmz/.kml tracks and bookmarks can be exported: their FAQ says they intend to develop use of .gpx tracks. Doug, your point about MAP.ME being less cumbersome relates, I think, to the functionality they don't currently provide. However, as they have some examples to learn from, they may produce an easier to use app with all the intended functionality added.

And Doug, do you have any battery use experience with MAP.ME? anticipating David the Canadian's question.

Last edited:
And Doug, do you have any battery use experience with MAP.ME? anticipating David the Canadian's question.
Not for walks. I think the issue is how the GPS receiver is implemented rather than the application itself. Although saying that, if the application keeps the screen on, that will reduce battery charge life as well. My previous smartphone would only survive for a few hours with the GPS enabled, but my current tablet seems to last at least a day, and I haven't really tested my current phone on longer walks. It has been okay on walks up to 2 hours, but I haven't tried it on anything longer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the EPW year. I did use maps.me on a couple of occasions when I was unsure as to my whereabouts and at those times was walking by myself. I have not checked the EPW website for next year's walk. This year the Guide instructions were only made available just before you left. In my case it had not arrived before I caught my flights from Australia. I had been told (as had others in the small group of 4 that started) that we would get the guide inHungary on day 3.) The horse farmer we stayed with had T-shrts for us but had no idea about the guide. Fortunately between us we had partially downloaded guide. (I was really annoyed that I was unable to get the guide a few weeks before the walk so that I could get more info.)

The EPW in my experience is not a walk to do alone. You need others so that at the end of the day (because you do spread out over the day) you can check that every arrives. The guide was inaccurate on distances e.g. one day was listed as 25-27Km however it turned out to be 36km. There were members of the group who did get lost and walked 12 kms, got picked up by a local car, In anther case managed to find a road and the police picked the hiker up. (I might add here that it was the hottest summer on record.)

There are many long days and there are few villages at times and so you just have to keep going to get to the end point. I would say that you need to be somewhat fit and have yourself mentally prepared for these long days. There can be days of very little if any interaction with locals especially in Hungary.

The red signs are sometimes quite close to one another and at others times along, long way apart. On one of my days when I was separated from other members of the group I was unable to find a red marker and I was so lucky a farmer had noticed that I appear quite confused and was going the wrong way and he came across to me and pointed me in the right direction. I must say here too that not being able to communicate in Hungarian is quite a disadvantage. I still had to go quite a distance again before I found the next marker. Thank goodness because I was becoming a little concerned about my whereabouts.

There some long days walking and finding your way through forests and then there are long, long days of walking across fields that go on forever and there is little to protect you from the summer heat.

There are some beautiful towns that you come to and stay in and I would recommend that you spend more than a "fleeting" moment in them. I use that term because after many hours walking there is little time to see some of these places. I did take a break on a couple of occasions and caught a train and buses to other larger places and then went back to my catchup point.

This walk is quite unlike the Camino. Its not a walk in the park. It is a good idea to carry some fruit etc with you because there is simply nowhere to get these during the day. Also bear in mind that many Hungarian shops are closed on Sunday.(I was told that it was a change made by the Government but I don't know the accuracy of this.) It is exciting though and quite enjoyable. Just be prepared mentally for some very long days. The last days may prove to be tough (and a little dangerous).

I personally think that this is a hike to not do alone. In my correspondence with the EPW I was told that there two others starting off the same day as me. I did catch up with them briefly before the walk and started day 1 with them from Vienna.

I did find maps.me helpful. I downloaded the maps for Austria, Slovakia, Hungary and Croatia before I left home. I deleted them in Croatia and then down loaded Italy (kept the Croatia.)

I hope this helps.

PS Would I do this walk again. Yes but I would do it a lot slower and take breaks to see more of the country. Is that possible. Hmm I am not sure because I would not want to have days by myself. Looking after one's life is too important.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back