• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Levante starting in March

Gabyparent

Time of past OR future Camino
Levante in March 2014
Hello,

I am currently wondering whether I should walk de la Plata or de Levante in March 2014. I have 3 months to complete my pilgrimage. However, I am a little worried of the weather and places to stay. Any advice ?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Gabyparent and welcome to the forum. There is a lot of info here for you to work your way through. Most of it is really helpful so explore the forum and you will find lots and lots of great advice. I walked the Camino Frances this year and am planning to walk the Via de la Plata starting around about 4th April 2014.
Check out this link which hopefully will take you to another thread Advice on Via de la Plata

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Gaby (and yes welcome to the forum). Starting the VDLP in March has been done (or at least we have seen posts here to that effect); the only problem with such an early start (say from Sevilla) is that the weather may not be your friend (amigo/amiga!). Spring in Spain is probably the least predictable, weather wise, ranging from lots of heavy rain and even snow north of Salamanca to very warm to hot on the first stage from Sevilla to Merida. The best advice is to start from Sevilla around St Georges Day (24 April) - one this avoids the Easter crowds in Sevilla and along the Camino and it should guarantee that most, if not all, alburgues are open. I support Cejanus comments about the amount of information available here - but you will need to sift through it - do a bit of reading of both the guide books and the first person reports. Although good/comprehensive guide books on the Silver Camino are hard to come by (when compared to the Camino Frances). Good luck and Buen Camino;)

Hi, Gabyparent, I have walked both of these routes, but I started from Sevilla and from valencia in May. I would second the cautions of the others about rain and cold in March, even on the sunny Mediterranean and in sunny Andalucia. Kevin of this forum walked the Levante in April, and his description of lying in a ditch to escape the bitter wind in order to take a break and eat something was enough to push me to May. I have had cool weather on both of those caminos in May, and once started from Sevilla in mid-April, and the weather was warmer than my May start, so there are of course no constants when it comes to weather.

There is an excellent guide to the Levante published (in English and Spanish) by the Amigos ASsociation in Valencia, and I would not leave home without it. It is essential.

The two routes are very similar in many ways, but the Levante has more castles and fewer people. Happy to give more opinions to help with your decision if you have questions. Laurie

Hi Gabyparent.

I've walked the VDLP starting in early March and had great weather, but as others noted, nothing is guaranteed when it comes to weather! I stay in casas rurales, and those are generally open year-round. The cost varies, but is generally about 25-40 euros/night.

Melanie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Gaby,

The Via de la Plata has good places to stay cheaply all the way with few stretches over 20 km, although there is one early on. I began on March 17th 2010 and the weather is fine but can be wet and the first stage may be flooded. There will be a notice with an alternative route if it is.
http://www.the-raft-of-corks.com/bl...corks/the-camino-de-santiago/via-de-la-plata/

The Levante is also well provided with albergues and places to stay although some are a bit primitive, like changing rooms. The people are lovely and do all to help. I started on Feb. 8th 2011 and there were few others on it then.

The weather north of the Cordillera Central - roughly W-E through Madrid - the big mountin range can be cold until June. I had snow twice this year. The latest was the end of May in Cebreiro.

I post to my blog - above - a few times a week. It is working its way northwards for 3 caminos so will cover more of the route you choose.

I hope that if you manage to do one of these it is wonderful for you and full of all the surprises which fill you with wonder,
John

Wow thank you for all the info!

So I have chosen to do the Camino de Levante. I am working at purchasing the guide to the Levante published (in English and Spanish) by the Amigos ASsociation in Valencia by internet soon.

Is there a place in the forum where they talk flight-trains ? I'm leaving from Canada, and some said it's cheaper to fly to the UK and then get a UK flight to Spain and then train to wherever I need to go. It has also made me wonder about visas? I'm sorry if I'm repeating questions asked elsewhere, but I am still a little overwhelmed by all the posts.

I read on posts about stray dogs, would you recommend bringing walking poles? I'm guessing it also helps for preventing arms from getting too much blood in the extremities?

Also, I don't plan on bringing a cellphone. I know I read that many people recommended calling in before getting to a place, but can I simply walk into a town everyday and find a place to stay a day at a time? I'm not sure how much planning ahead I am supposed to do.

Food wise, I read most people had breakfast and supper where they stayed, and bought some food or had lunch at a small place in between the day. As the Levante is less popular and the distance between towns seems greater at times, am I better to make my lunch and eat on the way?

I will keep reading blogs (thank you John for your link!!) and posts, and books! Things seem to be falling into place. Thanks again for all your help and information :)

Gaby

Hi Gabyparent,

As I have only walked the Vía de la Plata I will leave the Levante specific questions to someone who has walked that Camino.

Questions you may have regarding flights and trains to and from the Camino can be posted in this forum: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/traveling-to-from-the-camino.19/

I would definately consider bringing a basic cellphone. You will be walking along a very solitary Camino in March. And although you do not necessarily have to call albergues in advance, at times you may need to call someone in order to pick up a key.

No matter what Camino you are on but especially on the Vía de la Plata and the Levante it is advisable to have some type of snack or lunch with you. (Dried) fruit and nuts are sufficient in case you do not pass a town or have a dip.

I look forward to hearing about your preparations and account of your winter Camino. I hope to do the Levante soon but am not brave enough to do it in March!

Cheers,
LT
p.s. I have moved this thread over to the Levante forum (Levante starting in March), maybe more Levante veterans will see your post and give you advice.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Gaby,
I don't know if you've checked through the Levante section of the forum (I see that this post was placed in the Vdlp section), but there's a fair amount of info there that could be helpful to you. I have my stages along with info on places to stay, where there are albergues, etc. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-levante.19142/

I strongly recommend a cell phone, even if you don't want to phone ahead for reservations, because you may be totally alone. Buen camino, Laurie

Wow thank you for all the info!

So I have chosen to do the Camino de Levante. I am working at purchasing the guide to the Levante published (in English and Spanish) by the Amigos ASsociation in Valencia by internet soon.

Is there a place in the forum where they talk flight-trains ? I'm leaving from Canada, and some said it's cheaper to fly to the UK and then get a UK flight to Spain and then train to wherever I need to go. It has also made me wonder about visas? I'm sorry if I'm repeating questions asked elsewhere, but I am still a little overwhelmed by all the posts.

I read on posts about stray dogs, would you recommend bringing walking poles? I'm guessing it also helps for preventing arms from getting too much blood in the extremities?

Also, I don't plan on bringing a cellphone. I know I read that many people recommended calling in before getting to a place, but can I simply walk into a town everyday and find a place to stay a day at a time? I'm not sure how much planning ahead I am supposed to do.

Food wise, I read most people had breakfast and supper where they stayed, and bought some food or had lunch at a small place in between the day. As the Levante is less popular and the distance between towns seems greater at times, am I better to make my lunch and eat on the way?

I will keep reading blogs (thank you John for your link!!) and posts, and books! Things seem to be falling into place. Thanks again for all your help and information :)

Gaby

At least one walking pole is essential. Only once have I been bothered by dogs. It was this year on the Ruta de La Lana when a group of six or seven dogs came barking after me together when I was passing through Carrascosa de Abajo, an almost deserted village in Soria. I had walked on a bit and passed them when a woman came to her door and shouted at them. "It's a bit much!" I shouted to her above the din. "Well what do you think your stick's for! Give them a good whack and they're fine."

Yes you will have little trouble finding a place on most of the Levante, although Holy Week, 13-20th April 2014 might attract more pilgrims. As LTfit says, a mobile phone is recommendable. You can buy a simple phone with a sim card and pay as you go for 20 euros. It will probably have about 5 euros credit and you might only need another 15 for the whole camino, if it is only for when you are stuck.

Much of the Levante has places to sleep offered by the local authorities and the local police are usually the one's to ask. Sometimes I had to stay in Hostels and it is worth asking for a reduction. On average it is about 20 - 25 euros in a hostel.

You don't need a visa for the first six months. I had a Canadian come to stay a field I have in Extremadura with a friend. I had met them both on the Portuguese Camino. He was stopped driving my car the day before he was due to leave and arrested because his visa (he had been working in Paris for two years) was a week out of date. Even though he had his return air ticket with him he was taken, in custody, 100 kilometres and detained overnight. So if you do want to stay on it is best to pop over to Morroco for a day which then gives you another six months.

Thanks for looking at the blog - there's another bit today on the Levante.
John

Hello,

I am currently wondering whether I should walk de la Plata or de Levante in March 2014. I have 3 months to complete my pilgrimage. However, I am a little worried of the weather and places to stay. Any advice ?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

Hi, Gaby!!
Just wondering - did you decide WHEN to start your camino Levante? I am planning to do the same camino in March, hopefully before the 10th. Know it´s a bit early and that the weather might be a challenge, but I need to be back home in the beginning of May.... If you still are thinking about March, it would be nice to know! Would be wonderful to meet, or at least know that there is someone else on the way;-)
Best wishes from Mari

Hi, Gaby!!
Just wondering - did you decide WHEN to start your camino Levante? I am planning to do the same camino in March, hopefully before the 10th. Know it´s a bit early and that the weather might be a challenge, but I need to be back home in the beginning of May.... If you still are thinking about March, it would be nice to know! Would be wonderful to meet, or at least know that there is someone else on the way;-)
Best wishes from Mari

Hi Mari!

I am doing the same, for the same reasons :) I am leaving beginning of March and coming back at the beginning of May. Have you booked your tickets yet? I think it would be great to meet up there, or maybe at least start together, or at least know someone is also on the way :)

Hi Mari!

I am doing the same, for the same reasons :) I am leaving beginning of March and coming back at the beginning of May. Have you booked your tickets yet? I think it would be great to meet up there, or maybe at least start together, or at least know someone is also on the way :)
Wonderful news, Gaby!!
I haven´t booked tickets yet, but there are several options for me flying to Alicante (or ever Barcelona) Would be happy to start out with someone. Good with some company! Just received the english edition of the guide. Looks nice!! Some really long stages, but most of them possible to divide in two. Did you book a ticket or decide on which day you want to start off??
All the best,
Mari

Wonderful news, Gaby!!
I haven´t booked tickets yet, but there are several options for me flying to Alicante (or ever Barcelona) Would be happy to start out with someone. Good with some company! Just received the english edition of the guide. Looks nice!! Some really long stages, but most of them possible to divide in two. Did you book a ticket or decide on which day you want to start off??
All the best,
Mari

Hi, Mari,
I started in Valencia last year in early May, and it was a wonderful camino. You are right that most of the 38-45 km stages can easily be cut into two. By my count, there are only five days in which you have no choice but to walk between 30-35 kms, but those days are all completely flat, so they are not killer stages.

The guide is great. I have noted a couple of places where things have changed, and there are a fair number of new albergues that do not appear in the 2009 English guide. The attached document to the following link has some updates if you are interested.

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-levante.19142/

Just out of curiosity, are you contemplating starting on the Sureste in Alicante or starting in Valencia? There are strong fan clubs of both routes, which occasionally intersect along the way. I think the Levante has more traffic, that is to say that you might see another couple of people in the entire 1200 kms! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Mari,
I started in Valencia last year in early May, and it was a wonderful camino. You are right that most of the 38-45 km stages can easily be cut into two. By my count, there are only five days in which you have no choice but to walk between 30-35 kms, but those days are all completely flat, so they are not killer stages.

The guide is great. I have noted a couple of places where things have changed, and there are a fair number of new albergues that do not appear in the 2009 English guide. The attached document to the following link has some updates if you are interested.

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-levante.19142/

Just out of curiosity, are you contemplating starting on the Sureste in Alicante or starting in Valencia? There are strong fan clubs of both routes, which occasionally intersect along the way. I think the Levante has more traffic, that is to say that you might see another couple of people in the entire 1200 kms! Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks a lot, Laurie! Happy to get useful information from you! I have also read some of the info you have given earlier in the forum. Long stages are normally not a big problem when I have been walking for some days. I try to start a bit carefully though, to avoid more serious problem:)
Happy to read that there are more albergues on the way! I prefer albergues more than hostels and pensions.
I have been thinking about both the Sureste from Alicante and the Levante from Valencia. My choise is Valencia!
All the best from Mari

Thanks a lot, Laurie! Happy to get useful information from you! I have also read some of the info you have given earlier in the forum. Long stages are normally not a big problem when I have been walking for some days. I try to start a bit carefully though, to avoid more serious problem:)
Happy to read that there are more albergues on the way! I prefer albergues more than hostels and pensions.
I have been thinking about both the Sureste from Alicante and the Levante from Valencia. My choise is Valencia!
All the best from Mari

Hey Mari!

I am also starting in Valencia. I was thinking of buying the guide in spanish as it is the 2013 edition, ordering it from valencia to read it in advance. Just a little curious, where are you from ? I'm leaving from Canada :) For the dates of tickets I am thinking of sitting down and choosing the dates this Friday, trying to get the cheapest dates so leaving on a wednesday maybe... What do you think? When were you thinking of coming back in May? I'll book the same day back too or at least around that time. I was thinking of taking a last minute flight from santiago to valencia, instead of booking that flight in advance. How is the planning going for you?

Have a nice day!

Gaby

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Mari!

I am also starting in Valencia. I was thinking of buying the guide in spanish as it is the 2013 edition, ordering it from valencia to read it in advance. Just a little curious, where are you from ? I'm leaving from Canada :) For the dates of tickets I am thinking of sitting down and choosing the dates this Friday, trying to get the cheapest dates so leaving on a wednesday maybe... What do you think? When were you thinking of coming back in May? I'll book the same day back too or at least around that time. I was thinking of taking a last minute flight from santiago to valencia, instead of booking that flight in advance. How is the planning going for you?

Have a nice day!

Gaby
Hi!!
I need to be back as early as possible in May (that means the very beginning) - but I never book my return. Time will show;-) Normally I buy my return when I am a few days from the end of the walk Your travel is longer than mine, and that makes it different, I guess. Find out on Friday (or when you´re ready) when it´s possible for you to arrive in Valencia and I will try to match you arrival as good as possible. Good plan??
I am from Norway, 43 years old (or young:)). I am used to travel on my own, but this plan sounds really exciting! Look forward to hear from you again.
Wish you a wonderful day, too! Here it´s time to go to bed.....
All the best from Mari

Hi!

Hmm as I have a more limited budget, I book my return ticket or else it is too expensive to buy two tickets individually. I will try to book it for the end of the first week of May, and if I have extra time or lack of time, we may part ways near the end of the trip. I will tell you at the end of the week when I will arrive in Valencia :) Good plan indeed!

I am also used to travelling on my own, and I didn't think I would meet someone so soon on this journey, but I am very excited by this turn of events. I am quite introverted, so as long as we both respect our alone time at the end of the day, this will be a wonderful experience! Thank you for your company :)

How long did you plan on walking everyday? About 25 km? I walk to work most days, so I am used to walking for about 20 km a day easily with a big backpack and that is what I count as my training for this trip.

Have a beautiful day! I am on my lunch break right now at work so I will leave you now and talk to you soon!

Take care

Gaby

Hi!

Hmm as I have a more limited budget, I book my return ticket or else it is too expensive to buy two tickets individually. I will try to book it for the end of the first week of May, and if I have extra time or lack of time, we may part ways near the end of the trip. I will tell you at the end of the week when I will arrive in Valencia :) Good plan indeed!

I am also used to travelling on my own, and I didn't think I would meet someone so soon on this journey, but I am very excited by this turn of events. I am quite introverted, so as long as we both respect our alone time at the end of the day, this will be a wonderful experience! Thank you for your company :)

How long did you plan on walking everyday? About 25 km? I walk to work most days, so I am used to walking for about 20 km a day easily with a big backpack and that is what I count as my training for this trip.

Have a beautiful day! I am on my lunch break right now at work so I will leave you now and talk to you soon!

Take care

Gaby
Hi!
I think we will find a good balance - being together and having time to be alone:) No problem! About the distance avery day - difficult to say. I think we just have to plan every day as it comes and see where it´s possible to fine a bed and something to eat. Normally around 25 os a good place to start, an as we get stronger every day, we can do longer distances. Last camino I had an average on 30km a day. My budget is also limited, so I prefer to sleep in the cheaper places/albergues (when there is on to find) more that hostels/pensions.
Today it´s quite cold here! Snowing and blowing! I like winter, but I look forward to experience early spring in Spain:) (keeping in mind that we can have both cold days, rain and even snow in March.... We´ll manage!!)
Enjoy your day!
Mari

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Mari!

I have booked my plane tickets!! I arrive in Valencia on Wednesday, March 5th around noon. What was the last camino that you did? Yay, I am happy that we have similar ideas for budget and distance and places to stay. This will be fun! In Canada, Ottawa, it is snowing a lot too although it's a little warmer these days. I will try to go skating outside soon :) What time of the year did you go in Spain last time? I will be sure to pack a lot of layers of clothing for different kinds of weather.

By the way, just for your information, I am 23 years old, and work as a horticulturist (fancy word for professional gardener) and home care helper, which is why I need to be back beginning of May as that is when the season starts for my work outside! So please feel free if you have any questions or anything. I think this will be a very interesting journey and I'm happy I will be sharing it with you the whole way or at least part of it!

Just came back from climbing and now off to bed. Have a nice day or evening depending on what time it is in your part of the world,

Cheers!
Gaby

Hello Mari!

I have booked my plane tickets!! I arrive in Valencia on Wednesday, March 5th around noon. What was the last camino that you did? Yay, I am happy that we have similar ideas for budget and distance and places to stay. This will be fun! In Canada, Ottawa, it is snowing a lot too although it's a little warmer these days. I will try to go skating outside soon :) What time of the year did you go in Spain last time? I will be sure to pack a lot of layers of clothing for different kinds of weather.

By the way, just for your information, I am 23 years old, and work as a horticulturist (fancy word for professional gardener) and home care helper, which is why I need to be back beginning of May as that is when the season starts for my work outside! So please feel free if you have any questions or anything. I think this will be a very interesting journey and I'm happy I will be sharing it with you the whole way or at least part of it!

Just came back from climbing and now off to bed. Have a nice day or evening depending on what time it is in your part of the world,

Cheers!
Gaby
Perfect!!
I have booked my ticket too now:) i will arrive in Alicante late on Tuesday and that means I can be in Valencia more or less at the same time as you! I am really looking forward!!! I will have to find time to visit the cathedral to get a credencial, but I guess it might be good to spend the first night in Valencia anyway. You have had the longest travel, so I am ready for whatever you prefer.
My last camino started around the 12th of March last year. Started in Irun and followed camino del Norte until Oviedo, then camino Primitivo to Santiago. From Santiago I took the bus to Porto and walked camino Portuguees back to Santiago. A wonderful walk with a lot of rain, some snow and some sun - just the way it should be.... Well, really this was the first time I had snow in SPain, but it wasn´t that bad. I found it rather fascinating! When I did the Plata, I started the 5th of March an had sun all the way to Santiago.... I guess we will take whatever comes - and we are both used to snow, so it won´t be a problem:)
Feel free to contact me on my email (hagamari@gmail.com) or facebook.

In the meantime I will continue looking forward to this years great experience; to get to know you and to be back on the road again!

Take care, Gaby!!

All the best from Mari

Hello Mari!

Cheers!
Gaby
Hello, Gaby!!!
Hope you´re fine and that you still enjoy winter, snow and cold days in Ottawa! All the snow here makes it possible for some crosscountryskiing, but not as much walking as I would prefer... Just one thing I was wondering about: Do you speak spannish? I speak just un poco - enough to get food and a bed, but not more. It has been enough to survive this far, but if you know more it would be perfect!
By the way - the weather and temperature in Valencia at the moment are perfect for walking! If we are lucky, it will stay like this;-)
Take care,
Mari

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Mari!

Sorry for the late reply, still planning things here and working full time. Next week I am winter camping outside for the first time yay!!! We are in the middle of a snow storm at the moment, waiting for at least 15 cm of snow :) I mostly do snowshoeing although skiing is fun! Do you do a lot of winter activities?

I also need to buy my credentials in Valencia when I get there so we could go together? I don't speak Spanish very well, although I read it better than I talk because I speak French and it is similar to Spanish. I'm glad the weather is looking good in Valencia!

My email is gabyparent@live.com if it's easier to write that way or my facebook is Frederic Pickle-Pants (there is a joke with that name... but it is me if you are looking for me)

Got to go for some baking of scones and cooking a butternut squash tagine for the camping trip,

take care and enjoy all the snow!!

Gaby

Perfect!!
I have booked my ticket too now:) i will arrive in Alicante late on Tuesday and that means I can be in Valencia more or less at the same time as you! I am really looking forward!!! I will have to find time to visit the cathedral to get a credencial, but I guess it might be good to spend the first night in Valencia anyway. You have had the longest travel, so I am ready for whatever you prefer.
My last camino started around the 12th of March last year. Started in Irun and followed camino del Norte until Oviedo, then camino Primitivo to Santiago. From Santiago I took the bus to Porto and walked camino Portuguees back to Santiago. A wonderful walk with a lot of rain, some snow and some sun - just the way it should be.... Well, really this was the first time I had snow in SPain, but it wasn´t that bad. I found it rather fascinating! When I did the Plata, I started the 5th of March an had sun all the way to Santiago.... I guess we will take whatever comes - and we are both used to snow, so it won´t be a problem:)
Feel free to contact me on my email (hagamari@gmail.com) or facebook.

In the meantime I will continue looking forward to this years great experience; to get to know you and to be back on the road again!

Take care, Gaby!!

All the best from Mari
Hi, MariHaga,

Have you walked the Levante last year? I hope you had a good Camino.
Can you tell me if you did purchased credencial in Valencia cathedral and what's the cost of it. I'm planning Levante starting on 8th June :)

Ultreia!

Thanks, Laurie,

I may order it from Ivar, but as I understand Donovan the one from Amigos office in Valencia is different. No doubt it is also quite rare so I might ask Vanessa to obtain one for me.

K1

You undoubtedly have quite a collection of credentials, K1! BTW, if you don't hear back immediately from Vanessa, it might be because she is about to have a baby, by my calculation it will be within the next couple of weeks. Happy times for the family in the Pensión Paris! Buen camino, Laurie

Just sent an email to the Association and got a quick response. They say they are the only ones who sell the credential in Valencia, and they are open on Fridays from 17h to 20,30h. Not much of a window there! Buen camino, K1. If you do get a special Valencia credential, make sure to let us see what it looks like.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, MariHaga,

Have you walked the Levante last year? I hope you had a good Camino.
Can you tell me if you did purchased credencial in Valencia cathedral and what's the cost of it. I'm planning Levante starting on 8th June :)

Ultreia!
Hi, there!
Yes, I did the Levante last spring - and Laurie is right. No credencial in the cathedral... At least it wasn´t one year ago.
The pilgrimsoffice is just open once a week, I think - so I would have bought a credencial in advance, if I were you.
The way is beautiful!! The waymarking was already good last year, and I think they even improved it this summer.. So - look forward and enjoy ;-)
All the best,
Mari

Hi, there!
Yes, I did the Levante last spring - and Laurie is right. No credencial in the cathedral... At least it wasn´t one year ago.
The pilgrimsoffice is just open once a week, I think - so I would have bought a credencial in advance, if I were you.
The way is beautiful!! The waymarking was already good last year, and I think they even improved it this summer.. So - look forward and enjoy ;-)
All the best,
Mari
Thank you, Mari,
I think I'll take Laurie's advice and try to obtain credencial through Vanessa at Pension Paris. She's so helpfull and I'll come on Saturday and start walking on Monday, so there is not a chance I could get a credencial myself.
Have a nice day :)

Last edited:
You know, you might also suggest to Vanessa that she buy a bunch of them, like the Triana Backpackers Hostel does so she could sell them. I also think it would make sense for her to just buy several copies of the guide and have them there to sell, but maybe that requires too much of an investment. It would be so great if they were regularly available there, and I think it would help her business, too. Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am jealous!

This past summer summer I got my credential at the Amigos office in Valencia but they are open more frequently at that time of year.

I just attached a picture of the credential.

My Camino buddy who joined me from Valencia to Toledo will be doing Toledo-Zamora next month without me :( so I hope to finish it sometime in the future. I don't think I want to do the second half completely by myself. Last July we only met one other pilgrim along the way.

Buen Camino!

Attachments

• 1424453998829670323637.jpg
    1424453998829670323637.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 1424454051891-515874561.jpg
    1424454051891-515874561.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
Gaby- You can pick up the Canadian credential in Ottawa-- rumour has it that the President can be found at Planet Coffee most days with a few credentials in his pouch.

Thank you, Mari,
I think I'll take Laurie's advice and try to obtain credencial through Vanessa at Pension Paris. She's so helpfull and I'll come on Saturday and start walking on Monday, so there is not a chance I could get a credencial myself.
Have a nice day :)

Hi, K1, let us know when you hear from Vanessa. It'd be a great service to have a bunch for sale at her pension.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, K1, let us know when you hear from Vanessa. It'd be a great service to have a bunch for sale at her pension.
Hola, Laurie,
I wrote Vanessa today and she responded shortly after. It seems like you've (fast & prompt as always) already mentioned about credentials to her. On Friday she'll go to Amigos Office and let me/us know what about them. She'll already buy two pieces for me. Yeah! Really nice woman

K1

Hola, Laurie,
I wrote Vanessa today and she responded shortly after. It seems like you've (fast & prompt as always) already mentioned about credentials to her. On Friday she'll go to Amigos Office and let me/us know what about them. She'll already buy two pieces for me. Yeah! Really nice woman

K1

Hi, K1, I was writing to her anyway about the guidebook issue, so I threw in the credentials idea. I think she should find a way to do what Triana Backpackers Hostel does in Sevilla, which is to keep a supply of guides and credentials on the premises. It seems kind of silly for her to keep running back and forth every time a pilgrim writes with a request, so I hope maybe the Association will give her a bunch of these things for her to keep and sell as people come to the pension. Fingers crossed, because next time I walk the Levante I want one of those Levante credentials! :)

Hi, K1, I was writing to her anyway about the guidebook issue, so I threw in the credentials idea. I think she should find a way to do what Triana Backpackers Hostel does in Sevilla, which is to keep a supply of guides and credentials on the premises. It seems kind of silly for her to keep running back and forth every time a pilgrim writes with a request, so I hope maybe the Association will give her a bunch of these things for her to keep and sell as people come to the pension. Fingers crossed, because next time I walk the Levante I want one of those Levante credentials! :)
I agree completely about the credentials and also it would be kind of bait for future pilgrims to stay at her Pension.
But if you really want one of those Levante credentials badly - I can send it to you ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree completely about the credentials and also it would be kind of bait for future pilgrims to stay at her Pension.
But if you really want one of those Levante credentials badly - I can send it to you ;)

That's very nice of you, K1, but I wouldn't want to use a Levante credential on the Cami St. Jaume! I'll be back, don't you worry.

Thanks, Laurie,

I may order it from Ivar, but as I understand Donovan the one from Amigos office in Valencia is different. No doubt it is also quite rare so I might ask Vanessa to obtain one for me.

K1
Hi Kinkyone, I have been trying to contact The Amigos office to obtain a guide book in English but I have been having no response is there anywhere else or do I hope they have one when I tun up? Any help would be great, at times like these Australia does feel a long way away. Also chasing a credential for the Camino de Levante. Thanks Trevor

Hi Kinkyone, I have been trying to contact The Amigos office to obtain a guide book in English but I have been having no response is there anywhere else or do I hope they have one when I tun up? Any help would be great, at times like these Australia does feel a long way away. Also chasing a credential for the Camino de Levante. Thanks Trevor
Hi, Trevor!
I got my credential through Vanessa at Pension Paris (info@pensionparis.com), which BTW has very good location for the price. The problem is that Amigos office in Valencia is opened only:
Jueves y viernes:
17.00 h. a 20.30 h.
del 15 de junio al
31 de agosto.
Resto del año, sólo viernes mismo horario.

Their address:
Dr. Gil y Morte, 24-1º-3ª
46007 Valencia
Tel.: 96 385 99 82
Fax: 96 313 01 79
info@vieiragrino.com

If you decide to stay at Pension Paris I'm sure Vanessa will provide both the guidebook and credential (special one for "Cami de Llevant") upon your arrival. And she is communicating in excellent English!

When are you starting, Trevor?

Ultreia!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Trevor!
I got my credential through Vanessa at Pension Paris (info@pensionparis.com), which BTW has very good location for the price. The problem is that Amigos office in Valencia is opened only:
Jueves y viernes:
17.00 h. a 20.30 h.
del 15 de junio al
31 de agosto.
Resto del año, sólo viernes mismo horario.

Their address:
Dr. Gil y Morte, 24-1º-3ª
46007 Valencia
Tel.: 96 385 99 82
Fax: 96 313 01 79
info@vieiragrino.com

If you decide to stay at Pension Paris I'm sure Vanessa will provide both the guidebook and credential (special one for "Cami de Llevant") upon your arrival. And she is communicating in excellent English!

When are you starting, Trevor?

Ultreia!
Thank you very much, I will be starting Sept 1 spend a few days in Valencia to rest up after the flight and getting from Madrid or Barcelonia I was going to stay at Pension Paris for three nights before heading off. As it maybe my last time to see Valencia, I will take 3 months as I want to also walk another short Camino whilst I am over there, so looking forward to getting back have missed not being there this year. Buen Camino

Thank you very much, I will be starting Sept 1 spend a few days in Valencia to rest up after the flight and getting from Madrid or Barcelonia I was going to stay at Pension Paris for three nights before heading off. As it maybe my last time to see Valencia, I will take 3 months as I want to also walk another short Camino whilst I am over there, so looking forward to getting back have missed not being there this year. Buen Camino
So there you have it, just contact Vanessa at Pension Paris and guide-book with credencial will be waiting for you. I don't know what the price for guidebook is but credencial was 3€ this summer.

Ultreia!

Another plug for Vanessa and Pensión París. Great location for visiting Valencia, wonderful family run pensión, and very pilgrim-friendly. Trevor, I don´t know how you will be splitting up your days, but if you are not keen to walk the first long day to Algemesí, you could take a half day out of your three days visiting Valencia and walk to Silla. Then take the cercanías train back to Valencia (very frequent and very fast) and then start the next day from Silla after another short train ride. The first four days are all asphalt, and splitting up this first day was a very good idea for me and my tender feet.

So there you have it, just contact Vanessa at Pension Paris and guide-book with credencial will be waiting for you. I don't know what the price for guidebook is but credencial was 3€ this summer.

Ultreia!
thank you very much.

Another plug for Vanessa and Pensión París. Great location for visiting Valencia, wonderful family run pensión, and very pilgrim-friendly. Trevor, I don´t know how you will be splitting up your days, but if you are not keen to walk the first long day to Algemesí, you could take a half day out of your three days visiting Valencia and walk to Silla. Then take the cercanías train back to Valencia (very frequent and very fast) and then start the next day from Silla after another short train ride. The first four days are all asphalt, and splitting up this first day was a very good idea for me and my tender feet.
Thank you, as I walk till I see something or the legs say enough. I do not hurry my Camino's as there is so much to see and so many locals to meet. I am starting to get anxious as I miss walking the Camino so much.

Trevor,
I emailed the Amigos' office, they gave me a price for the guide book delivered to Australia, I sent the money and received the book within days. It was all very efficient. From memory I used the email address quoted by K1 in an earlier post. Correspondence was in Spanish.

I had asked to buy a credential as well, but that request was unsuccessful. When in Valencia I went to their office and got one from them. Yes, it's a fairly unique keepsake. Buying the credential requires a bit of form filling and identification, and perhaps that is why they could not send one to me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Trevor,
I emailed the Amigos' office, they gave me a price for the guide book delivered to Australia, I sent the money and received the book within days. It was all very efficient. From memory I used the email address quoted by K1 in an earlier post. Correspondence was in Spanish.

I had asked to buy a credential as well, but that request was unsuccessful. When in Valencia I went to their office and got one from them. Yes, it's a fairly unique keepsake. Buying the credential requires a bit of form filling and identification, and perhaps that is why they could not send one to me.
Hi Donovan how did you find the walk and when did you do it, which way did you go via Astorga?

Hi Donovan how did you find the walk and when did you do it, which way did you go via Astorga?

Trevor, sorry for slow response, I have been away. Short answer – I loved the walk. I posted some thoughts here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/recent-camino.26572/. If you would like to discuss further PM me your phone number in Melbourne, or your email address.

After Zamora I walked a couple of days on the Sanabres which I found rather crowded after the isolation of the Levante.

Trevor, sorry for slow response, I have been away. Short answer – I loved the walk. I posted some thoughts here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/recent-camino.26572/. If you would like to discuss further PM me your phone number in Melbourne, or your email address.

After Zamora I walked a couple of days on the Sanabres which I found rather crowded after the isolation of the Levante.
Hi Donovan, Thaks for the reply, my phone is [edited out by ivar, please send a private forum message] and my email is [edited out by ivar, please send a private forum message] it would be great to have a chat as I find all helps as I will be walking next year by myself. thanks Trevor

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back