• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Foot problems-- considering stopping early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015 November)
Well, I've walked 7 glorious days so far on my first Camino. I've been making my way on the Portuguese coastal route which, other than today's light morning rain, has been fantastic walking weather of 60-70 degrees and mostly sunny. I've walked through beautiful fishing towns and mountain towns, past beaches and winding city streets. It's been a great Camino so far, but I'm not sure if I can continue now.
The past 3 days I started battling blisters. At first they were crippling pains that caused stabs at each step. Gradually I've learned how to manage them and now they are, if not mostly subsided, at least under reasonable control. Now, however, a new pain has come up. This one seems unrelated to the blisters, and more troubling. It's not a surface pain like the blisters, but a deeper feeling in the bones of my foot that with each step the side of my foot is being intolerably crushed. It's like my right foot is in a vice that clamps down harder with each step. I tried loosening my shoelaces, but this hasn't helped much. I feel like it might be a nerve problem! I think I will take a day off here in Vigo and rest-- the worst thing I think is for me to injure my foot seriously while on the Camino in the middle of towns. I hope it feels better tomorrow but, if not, I may have to complete this Camino later! Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sarah, sounds like you are wearing the wrong shoes. The first pair of boots I had were a disaster and resulted in terrible internal pains. My podiatrist diagnosed it immediately and said that the problem is that my feet need to flex. I'm not suggesting that you have the same problem, it may be related to overuse or something completely different, but it is worth changing your shoes, try sandals for a while, and see if that helps. I agree, if it continues go to the nearest policlinic.

Wrong shoes as Kanga suggests or the need for better support or orthotics. I would certainly pop in a medical clinic, get a day's rest and try insoles with support from the local pharmacy, also voltaren for inflamation. It was the Camino that made me discover I have flat feet.... It was also on the Camino that I developped plantar fasciitis, and it took months for that to get back under control, but more support from a barrer shoe for your feet and/or orthotics may help. But do check with a local doctor as well. Good luck.

Best to err on the safe side, Sarah--if you change your shoes and it persists, best have it checked out sooner rather than later.
@Wokabaut_Meri has a cautionary tale--and a message that is worth heeding: Don't try to walk through it unless/until you're sure it's not something important.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As a person who lives with foot pain, I have learned to distinguish between the "normal" pain and indications of a new injury. Unless blisters become infected, they are just "normal" pain to me. Your new symptoms could indicate something that might lead to permanent injury. They could be from changed body mechanics in reaction to the blister pain. Only you can determine the danger of further damage. Medical care in Spain is excellent, and I assume it also is in Portugal. A doctor is probably the best source of advice! :)

Well, I've walked 7 glorious days so far on my first Camino. I've been making my way on the Portuguese coastal route which, other than today's light morning rain, has been fantastic walking weather of 60-70 degrees and mostly sunny. I've walked through beautiful fishing towns and mountain towns, past beaches and winding city streets. It's been a great Camino so far, but I'm not sure if I can continue now.
The past 3 days I started battling blisters. At first they were crippling pains that caused stabs at each step. Gradually I've learned how to manage them and now they are, if not mostly subsided, at least under reasonable control. Now, however, a new pain has come up. This one seems unrelated to the blisters, and more troubling. It's not a surface pain like the blisters, but a deeper feeling in the bones of my foot that with each step the side of my foot is being intolerably crushed. It's like my right foot is in a vice that clamps down harder with each step. I tried loosening my shoelaces, but this hasn't helped much. I feel like it might be a nerve problem! I think I will take a day off here in Vigo and rest-- the worst thing I think is for me to injure my foot seriously while on the Camino in the middle of towns. I hope it feels better tomorrow but, if not, I may have to complete this Camino later! Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
As some of the other posts say, it sounds like your boots are too tight and if you are needing to put dressings on the blisters ,this will make them tighter still. Are your socks thick? Try liner socks or ordinary men's socks you can buy anywhere -- generally. Also I find that adhesive plaster( the one on a roll) over the blister helps to stop chafing in the boot and won't take up too much space. I have to wear boots a size larger than my shoes and thin socks as I have plenty of space for feet. I suffered dreadfully with blisters on 1st Camino and know now that it was due to lack of boot space. If blisters broken, clean with iodine, but try and leave the plaster on as long as possible. Really feeling for you right now as so many of us have suffered with blisters at one time or another. Annette

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Falcon, I agree with you, it is a new pain, and I think it is related to how my feet were compensating for the blisters. I'm going to get it checked out tomorrow when places open again, and not take any risks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sarah, hello - sorry about the problems you are having. four to seven days is the usual "I've got real problems" time if you are going to have them!
The first thing is that you have to walk normally - no limping at all as all that does is to produce more problems. Second thing is that you shouldn't be having any pain with your blisters - there is absolutely no reason to have pain with blisters.

The only reason blisters can hurt is if there is liquid in there and it is being pressed and squashed each time you walk. Once they are drained and covered the pain disappears.
Do this - clean your feet really well around the blisters then pierce them and slowly drain them until you get the blister skin completely flat - no bubbles - now coat with antiseptic and put a fabric plaster over it that seals all the way round. If that is not padding enough put another plaster on top.

The new problem that you have - is the pain on the outside edge or the inside edge of your foot? If those first days your boots were really comfortable and you could wriggle your toes as if they were playing the piano then they are most likely ok for you - if not - .... If on the outside, 'crushing', then your boots are probably too narrow and/or much too small. If on the inside crushing then the boot is too narrow or the footbed is probably the wrong shape for you - instep too high or too low - you can "cure" this by buying different boots - bit chancy out there and walking away from the shop, never to return, or, remove the liner in the boots you have if it is shaped and replace with top quality shaped orthotic insoles - they aren't cheap but give the right support in the right places.
Another possibility is to buy some trainers or even sandals (with thick soles) and walk in those for a few days - thing is, don't look at your feet in a mirror or even look down at them when you are trying on the trainers and walking around the shop - what they look like and whether they look "too big" is unimportant - comfort and space to breathe is what you need.

Couple of other things - for a few days halve the distance you are walking in each day. Walk in an easy upright relaxed way as if you are not carrying anything and just strolling through a park, admiring the views. - is your pack heavy? If so abandon everything except what you really need.

and - can't stress this enough - walk normally, don't limp!

Now, Sarah - take a day off, find a pharmacy and go take care of your blisters!! (and be kind to yourself).
When you get back on Camino all repaired please be aware of your feet - blisters always send a warning before they form .. the hotspot, that feeling of rubbing - stop and take the boots off and cover that hotspot with a fabric plaster - then it can't rub and a blister won't form ;)

You have had some great days and this is just a temporary glitch - I wish you well.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hi Sarah. I developed tendonitis on my Camino - it was very painful. I changed shoes, got to know the physiotherapists along the way and took a day off here and there. I also started sending my backpack ahead to lighten the weight on my feet. BUT I finished the 800km. Do what you have to do to make it easier for you....that is the only thing that matters. Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Now, however, a new pain has come up. This one seems unrelated to the blisters, and more troubling. It's not a surface pain like the blisters, but a deeper feeling in the bones of my foot that with each step the side of my foot is being intolerably crushed. It's like my right foot is in a vice that clamps down harder with each step. QUOTE]

Hi Sarah,

Not beeing a native speaker I'm a bit unsure of what you describe, but it sounds like tendonitis or, as Anemone mentioned above, plantar fasciitis. You asked if anyone has been in a similar situation. Oh yes: plantar fasciitis on Vía de la Plata in 2012. Impossible to go on. Both feet feeling like walking on razors. It is the worst pain in my feet I have ever experienced, much worse than tendonitis. If you only have modest pains I'm sure it is manageable but in the end I couldn't even put my feet on the ground. Somehow, tendonitis is very common on the Camino but you seldom hear of plantar fasciitis. I would suggest that you take a rest day as soon as you feel anything like it, because ignoring the pain and think you are "super-man/woman" (as I did) is not going to work.

Tendonitis or plantar fasciitis means your feet are tired and need to protest, so I was wondering how long your stages are and if you get enough sleep? I got it because I did too long stages and thought I could manage with just a few hours of sleep. And when it started to hurt I just neglected it and tried to endure, which eventually broke me down. Bad pilgrim...

Anyway I hope it is neither, and that you can solve the problem with arranging shoes or socks as mentioned above. Please let us know!

Good luck Sarah!

/BP

Hi Sarah,

Not beeing a native speaker I'm a bit unsure of what you describe, but it sounds like tendonitis or, as Anemone mentioned above, plantar fasciitis. You asked if anyone has been in a similar situation. Oh yes: plantar fasciitis on Vía de la Plata in 2012. Impossible to go on. Both feet feeling like walking on razors. It is the worst pain in my feet I have ever experienced, much worse than tendonitis. If you only have modest pains I'm sure it is manageable but in the end I couldn't even put my feet on the ground. Somehow, tendonitis is very common on the Camino but you seldom hear of plantar fasciitis. I would suggest that you take a rest day as soon as you feel anything like it, because ignoring the pain and think you are "super-man/woman" (as I did) is not going to work.

Tendonitis or plantar fasciitis means your feet are tired and need to protest, so I was wondering how long your stages are and if you get enough sleep? I got it because I did too long stages and thought I could manage with just a few hours of sleep. And when it started to hurt I just neglected it and tried to endure, which eventually broke me down. Bad pilgrim...

Anyway I hope it is neither, and that you can solve the problem with arranging shoes or socks as mentioned above. Please let us know!

Good luck Sarah!

/BP

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try to look for new insoles tomorrow for my shoes, if my feet don't feel better. I don't think it's a problem with the shoe itself as I've worn these same shoes on backpacking trips many times with no one, but I wouldn't be surprised if the insoles have gotten worn down.
I do have a question, though. Can anyone recommend a good store in Vigo for buying insoles? My Spanish doesn't seem to be good enough to explain this well to the guy at the hotel. Thanks so much!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try to look for new insoles tomorrow for my shoes, if my feet don't feel better. I don't think it's a problem with the shoe itself as I've worn these same shoes on backpacking trips many times with no one, but I wouldn't be surprised if the insoles have gotten worn down.
I do have a question, though. Can anyone recommend a good store in Vigo for buying insoles? My Spanish doesn't seem to be good enough to explain this well to the guy at the hotel. Thanks so much!

Go to a pharmacia / farmacy : they can help you regarding the insoles. In my memory they sometimes sell them too. But please if not better : visit a doctor!!!

Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear about your feet. I'm a physiotherapist who has just completed the Camino myselft and did treat a few fellow pilgrim's feet issues along the way.

It's obviously quite difficult for me to diagnose what your issue is without seeing you, but going by what you've said, it sounds like some sort of joint overloading issue (mainly because its gradually come on and it seems to be a deep pain). There could also be a component of plantar fasciitis like others on the thread have mentioned too.

Like others have suggested, purchasing some insoles is a good start, but I would also try a few other things:
- Taping up your arch (tape can be purchased at pharmacy) like the pic on this website
http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/plantar-fasciitis-in-runners/
- Stretching your calves
- Having significantly shorter walking days with very regular rest

I disagree with another poster's advice not to limp - limping is not a person's choice, its the body's natural protective mechanism to take weight of an injured part of the body to give it the best chance to heal. If you don't have hiking poles, it is probably worth purchasing a pair as this will also help you take some weight off it.

Hopefully a few days rest may get you back in track. Good luck and wishing you all the best!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Falcon, I agree with you, it is a new pain, and I think it is related to how my feet were compensating for the blisters. I'm going to get it checked out tomorrow when places open again, and not take any risks!
Many good responses on this thread. As someone who like Falcon269 mentioned also has constant foot pain, I can only add that you've done well to recognise that this is a new and different pain. As well as seeing someone for advice, it may need a few extra days rest. I have neuropathy of the feet (nerve pain) and at home manage it with weekly acupuncture. To reduce the chance of other problems I have occasional foot, leg and hip massages and foot joint mobilisation, both to ensure flexibility of the joints and muscle relaxation throughout the feet. (less pressure on nerves in legs and feet) But on my 2 Caminos (one in September) none of this, so I massaged my own feet gently to help better manage and hopefully slightly reduce the pain for the following day. If it's a pinched nerve at joints due to the walking on uneven surfaces or blisters (both changing your gait) then massage may create a type of traction and ease the pressure. It will help with daily swelling after walking anyway. Swelling too means less room in the shoes. I hope it settles soon. All the best.

I am just back from 5 days walking the Portuguese Camino with my husband from Lisbon to Vale de Figuiero ( just past
Santarem ). I too suffered with blisters in 2 places on my left foot which I blame on the cobbles which abound on the streets in this area . I don't normally get blisters but realised after a day or too that I had thrown away my old insoles some time ago and forgotten to replace them . I could feel other pain developing from compensating due to the limping from the blisters but persevered with the help of a stick as I knew I was finishing in a few days . Now home less than 24 hours , I already feel the improvement from the rest so hopefully, with a combination of all suggestions here , you will be able to continue in a day or two . I am so envious of you having the opportunity to do more than my 5 days !

"I disagree with another poster's advice not to limp - limping is not a person's choice, its the body's natural protective mechanism to take weight of an injured part of the body to give it the best chance to heal."

I think that we have to agree to differ here ;) I have found that when pilgrims limp to compensate for a pain they start to get other pains and stresses because of the deformed way that they then walk. Trying to walk normally automatically cuts pace length and speed drastically until the other parts of the body have slowed down and are walking in sync. At home we rest but out there pilgrims usually just won't stop! (the rascals!) - if one walks slowly and carefully without a put-on limp then all the parts flex normally rather than abnormally - mind you, I have come across some whom I have told to stop walking until they healed as the damage was too bad to be able to walk normally, if at all!

I'm not saying I am 'right' and you are 'wrong', not at all, only that we have a different approach - and, in fact, possibly not a different approach at all as you may be speaking of those seriously injured whereas I am speaking of those lightly injured - so all is well.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@David - I think its great to have a friendly debate about topics like these. I totally agree with you - limping definitely can cause stress in other areas of the body which can lead to many nasty secondary issues.

But I think as a health professional working with musculoskeletal injuries on a daily basis, my first thought is always to 'do no harm' which also means to prevent further damage. When the body feels the need to limp, it is to take weight off the injured structure thus reducing further injury. For example, if someone breaks a bone in their foot and tries to walk normally, they will apply a force that the foot simply cannot bear as its structural integrity has been compromised. This is why we often give people crutches, to take further weight off the injured limb.

So pretty much what I am saying is, for acute injuries (recent injuries) limping is fine - its your body's self protective mechanism, but definitely something that we don't want to be long lasting. Chronic limping is definitely harmful and can lead to many other secondary joint issues.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth :)

"I disagree with another poster's advice not to limp - limping is not a person's choice, its the body's natural protective mechanism to take weight of an injured part of the body to give it the best chance to heal."

I think that we have to agree to differ here ;) I have found that when pilgrims limp to compensate for a pain they start to get other pains and stresses because of the deformed way that they then walk. Trying to walk normally automatically cuts pace length and speed drastically until the other parts of the body have slowed down and are walking in sync. At home we rest but out there pilgrims usually just won't stop! (the rascals!) - if one walks slowly and carefully without a put-on limp then all the parts flex normally rather than abnormally - mind you, I have come across some whom I have told to stop walking until they healed as the damage was too bad to be able to walk normally, if at all!

I'm not saying I am 'right' and you are 'wrong', not at all, only that we have a different approach - and, in fact, possibly not a different approach at all as you may be speaking of those seriously injured whereas I am speaking of those lightly injured - so all is well.

Buen Camino

Rest is a wonderful thing if you can take the time. Try to stop somewhere and relax without your hiking shoes on. And there is no shame in taking a bus or a taxi or sending your pack ahead if you need to until you feel better. All would be better than having to quit.

@David ...When the body feels the need to limp, it is to take weight off the injured structure thus reducing further injury. For example, if someone breaks a bone in their foot and tries to walk normally, they will apply a force that the foot simply cannot bear as its structural integrity has been compromised. This is why we often give people crutches, to take further weight off the injured limb.

So pretty much what I am saying is, for acute injuries (recent injuries) limping is fine - its your body's self protective mechanism, but definitely something that we don't want to be long lasting. Chronic limping is definitely harmful and can lead to many other secondary joint issues.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth :)

I'll just add my 2 cents worth of recent experience to this thread... I fractured my navicular bone in my right foot on day 1 of 44 on the Camino Frances (long story covered in much detail in another post). My body's instant reaction was to limp, which I did for some, but definitely not all, of the 800kms to Santiago.

...I have found that when pilgrims limp to compensate for a pain they start to get other pains and stresses because of the deformed way that they then walk. Trying to walk normally automatically cuts pace length and speed drastically until the other parts of the body have slowed down and are walking in sync. At home we rest but out there pilgrims usually just won't stop! (the rascals!) - if one walks slowly and carefully without a put-on limp then all the parts flex normally rather than abnormally - mind you, I have come across some whom I have told to stop walking until they healed as the damage was too bad to be able to walk normally, if at all!...

Wise words @David! Because I limped, thinking that I had only strained or pulled something, which is certainly what it felt like, I managed to incur further injury to my MTP (metatarsophalangeal) joints that delayed the eventual fracture diagnosis and treatment. It's easy in hindsight to say that I should have stopped but the pain was minimal and at times negligible and - I now have had confirmed - I have a very high pain threshold.

Mine is certainly an unusual case but an example of the level of injury that can be carried by the body compensating.

PS I think that your profession rocks! My Physio is a close friend and a great compañero on this Healing Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
PS and @David is going to love this: the yard stick for my ongoing rehabilitation is to stop any exercise that causes me to limp (among other effects) and, if walking, to shorten my stride first to see if this prevents limping. If this doesn't, to stop walking.

Last edited:

Buen Camino

I'm with you re the limping David. Every Physio I saw en route told me not to limp..... And it worked. Limping creates other problems as the body tries to compensate..

Also taking a shorter stride to avoid over stretching anything was a good idea.

Last edited:
Sarah, if it is plantar fasciitis, and if you find freezers in the albergues you spend the night, may I suggest you fill a small bottle with water, freeze it, amd then roll your foot on it. This will ice while doing a light stretching. If you go to tje Decathlon store, buy a golf ball, and also use it to massage thebottom of your foot. Stretches also may have help me keep fasciitis at bay on thePrimitivo: toes up, also calf by "hanging" from a step. Good luck. Fasciitis is no fun and can takea long time to heal, I hope that os not what you are facing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can highly recommend Traumeel cream, it is a homeopathic remedy, main ingredient is Arnica. It may or may not help but I had major foot problems when my feet became blotchy red and swollen as well as painful. Overnight all the symptoms disappeared. Part of the problem was that my feet were overheating, so I bought a pair of hiking sandals and there was no reoccurance of the problem. Traumeel is available in the Spanish Pharmacy's.

Hi Sarah !

My 2 C worth : after reading most of the comments I can't help but say that in my perception the challenge is that every well intended comment comes from individual walkers, each with a different body and weight, different style of walking, different health status, different pack weight, different shoes or boots, variable walking surfaces and a different sprain/strain or injury history ...

The long and short of it is that it's not wise to start comparing yourself to others due to all these variables ... Yes there are common themes in walking challenges and injuries. Common sense dictates that you consider simple, non invasive things first ( assessing your feet an hour or two into a walking day, look for red spots, friction areas, change your socks, treat your blisters, make sure both the support and flexibility of your shoes boots are up to snuff, icing, stretching and modest use of anti- inflammatory cream).

If your pain is new, different, lasting and not responding to commonsensical changes, I recommend that you do not self diagnose further but take a day or two off and have it checked by a professional podiatrist or physiotherapist ... It'll cost you 50 or maybe even a 100 Euro, but if this saves your feet and your Camino, it's well worth it.

Navicular or other stress fractures solely because of walking are rare as are true plantar fasciitis and nerve compression injuries ( unless you have certain other health challenges such as diabetes or osteoporosis, for example)... One should consider the fact that you are walking daily, with a pack and this is likely outside of your regular day to day routine in your life ... Increased stress and strain ( in principle not a bad thing ) has its effect on each of us, but will/ can demonstrate itself in different ways. It's highly likely you're just doing more than what your feet can cope with.
Again, get it checked . . . .

Wishing you all the best and my fingers are crossed for you being able to complete this awesome journey !
Bueno Camino !!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you all so so much for the helpful replies! I ended up taking two days rest in Vigo, tried different ways of bandaging my blisters, and most importantly bought new insoles! This last in particular helped me a lot, and I was able to continue my Camino after all. I'm now in Padron, and hopefully I'll make it to Santiago tomorrow! Since Vigo I've had the usual foot tiredness, but no more internal foot pains, thankfully. I think in addition to the insoles, just staying put for a few days did me a lot of good. While I don't know exactly where I stand on the limping question, I do know that I am now much more sensitive to it and won't allow myself to limp for hours like I did in Oia and Baiona. Limping is a sign that something needs to change!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Awesome ! Take care !

Glad you are doing better! -- Here is a thought. Take out the insoles of your shoes and set your feet on top of them. If your feet without shoes spread out over and off the insoles you should look at getting new shoes.
My shoes which I loved before walking the camino turned into instruments of torture. My feet swelled after walking 4 hours, but also the muscles in my feet grew as I walked day after day. It was torture every morning as I stood up and began walking. I took a lot of ibuprofen. :( I threw out the shoes at Santiago. I've gone from a 39 to a 40 or 41.

€149,-

Hi Sarah
I'm so sorry to hear of your challenges. I went through the same thing this past October. I was able to overcome the blisters and thought I went well prepared with a well stocked first aid kit, work out daily as a life habit, and had orthotics and the "works" done to be preventive, trouble found me just before Sarria. I was almost past my 3 weeks on the Camino Frances when my unusual foot ache developed I began to limp and compensated for the "soreness" when I should have stopped. I suggest you see a qualified doctor ASAP to help you determine the source and extent of your injury. I saw two but they did not tell me that I had developed acute tendon and stress inflammation. I tested 2 days! (Bear in mind that physical exams and X-rays are limited in diagnosing deep tissue, tendon or ligament problems.) We can all guess and speculate on your behalf, but only you can determine listening to your body and your intuition what decision to make. The most important thing is to care and honor your body. The Camino will be there! I made huge sacrifices to leave my family and take 35 days to accomplish my dream. But I had to abort just 90km before Santiago because I did not want to hear my intuition.

I hope and wish you a quick recovery and pray that you are able to continue on your quest without further complications. If not, be brave and do the right thing.

Buen Camino y buena suerte!
Sara C.

@Bethesda um what a pain (pun intended). But good on you for at least not allowing yourself to become permanently crippled. Never let that unexpected ending diminish your huge achievement. Congratulations to you!

The emphasis on walking the last 100 km to Santiago is so overestimated. I always love the Cathedral, and the town of Santiago, and I love walking in Galicia and I love the vitality of the last 100km, with all the new and enthusiastic pilgrims. But I am absolutely over the need for a little piece of paper.

In medieval times you would have been a contender for the Puerta del Perdón at the Iglesia de Santiago in Villafranca - the door through which those who were unable to continue to Santiago passed and received forgiveness. We tend to forget that for most medieval pilgrims that was the main purpose of walking the pilgrimage.

@Bethesda um what a pain (pun intended). But good on you for at least not allowing yourself to become permanently crippled. Never let that unexpected ending diminish your huge achievement. Congratulations to you!

The emphasis on walking the last 100 km to Santiago is so overestimated. I always love the Cathedral, and the town of Santiago, and I love walking in Galicia and I love the vitality of the last 100km, with all the new and enthusiastic pilgrims. But I am absolutely over the need for a little piece of paper.

In medieval times you would have been a contender for the Puerta del Perdón at the Iglesia de Santiago in Villafranca - the door through which those who were unable to continue to Santiago passed and received forgiveness. We tend to forget that for most medieval pilgrims that was the main purpose of walking the pilgrimage.

Thank you Kanga for your encouragement. I absolutely agree. And I can't stress enough how important safety is. Though my concern is not the Compostela, I did embark on this Camino for traditional reasons and if possible, I intend to finish it next year, this time my husband will accompany me. Oddly enough, as soon as I was home all I could think of was "returning" el Camino is always calling...
Buen Camino and goodness to all. :)

€46,-
... The emphasis on walking the last 100 km to Santiago is so overestimated. I always love the Cathedral, and the town of Santiago, and I love walking in Galicia and I love the vitality of the last 100km, with all the new and enthusiastic pilgrims. But I am absolutely over the need for a little piece of paper. ...

For some of us, me included, it is actually important to arrive at the tomb of St.James, if possible under our own steam. And no, it is not about the piece of paper ... Buen Camino, SY

For some of us, me included, it is actually important to arrive at the tomb of St.James, if possible under our own steam. And no, it is not about the piece of paper ... Buen Camino, SY

Very well said! My sentiments precisely. I could not articulate it better. Thus why I was both devastated but grateful that I will have a chance to attempt it after my big stumble. Cheers and Buen Camino always!

Well done Sarah! Fabulous to know that you have persevered and that your feet are standing up well.

Agree with @Viranani about the Pimentos - so delicious that we are growing some back home here in Australia.

€149,-
Thank you all so so much for the helpful replies! I ended up taking two days rest in Vigo, tried different ways of bandaging my blisters, and most importantly bought new insoles! This last in particular helped me a lot, and I was able to continue my Camino after all. I'm now in Padron, and hopefully I'll make it to Santiago tomorrow! Since Vigo I've had the usual foot tiredness, but no more internal foot pains, thankfully. I think in addition to the insoles, just staying put for a few days did me a lot of good. While I don't know exactly where I stand on the limping question, I do know that I am now much more sensitive to it and won't allow myself to limp for hours like I did in Oia and Baiona. Limping is a sign that something needs to change!

I've walked on open wounds, though I'd hardly recommend it LOL !!!

Lovely to hear your awesome news

Rest is the best -- anyway, all pains vanish on the last day, whether it's Compostela, Rome, Lourdes, or etc.

Great strong big pilgrim hug for your success !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.