• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thanks again to everyone who said hello to my son and his friends

KateB

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Long time ago (back in April) I wrote asking for help and advice. I was worried about my 19 year old son and his friends as they were walking from St. Jean to Santiago de Compostela and they had only left high school last year.
Thanks to all of your help and support, not only did they do their Camino but their time out there was made all the more amazing because people from this forum said hello, asked how they were, shared their stories and offered their advice.
The boys were surprised and touched by this community - they were in a cafe (I think it was Burgos) and someone said 'hi, are you the kids from Australia? Your mum asked us to say hello'. That brought smiles to their weary faces. And this happened time and again.

jack camino.jpg

So there they are - they made it - and thanks again to everyone who helped me - and said hello to them.
Kate

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great story Kate. Thanks for the feedback. I didn't meet your son and his friends but maybe one day in the future, on the camino again. Or you?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello Kate - your response above is what really makes this Forum really worth the time and effort that Ivar and the Moderators and "the pilgrims" put into it. Your simple, but heartfelt thanks is really appreciated.

Now all we and your son have to do is get you to walk some (say start in Leon), or even all of the Camino during the next year or two. If you want a fellow Aussie for company I have rough plans to walk a few stages starting in late April 2017. These stages are to fill in the parts I missed on the cycle ride in September. Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kate, please don't listen if we proselytize. In fact if I were you I'd stay very far away from the Camino--it's a dangerous place because if you become bitten and infected by the camino bug, neither you nor the world are ever quite the same.
...On the other hand it may be too late. You may have already contracted it at this virtual albergue, where an especially virulent form of the bug is endemic. :D

(Seriously, Kate, I was very touched by your posts and the boys' camino...so thank you for posting this lovely and heartfelt message. I had wondered about the rest of their journey....)

Hi Kate, I remember your post back in April and I have thought of your boys walking the Camino, thank you for returning to the Forum with an update. I'm glad they made it all the way to SdC and they had a good time. It is a very special experience when you are that young - and also when you are older.

Kate, please don't listen if we proselytize. In fact if I were you I'd stay very far away from the Camino--it's a dangerous place because if you become bitten and infected by the camino bug, neither you nor the world are ever quite the same.
...On the other hand it may be too late. You may have already contracted it at this virtual albergue, where an especially virulent form of the bug is endemic. :D

(Seriously, Kate, I was very touched by your posts and the boys' camino...so thank you for posting this lovely and heartfelt message. I had wondered about the rest of their journey....)

:):)I am planning my own Camino so yes already infected vicariously through my son and everyone on this forum whose posts I read. I will have to do it in chunks as I can't take 6-10 weeks off but am thinking next September or April of 2017. Thanks for your kind words.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
:):)I am planning my own Camino so yes already infected vicariously through my son and everyone on this forum whose posts I read. I will have to do it in chunks as I can't take 6-10 weeks off but am thinking next September or April of 2017. Thanks for your kind words.

Thanks for the feedback Kate. It's great that your son and his friends had such a memorable experience.

Having followed your posts, I'm not at all surprised that you caught the bug and are now planning your own Camino. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back