• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to SJPP first week of May 2016

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I fly into Madrid on May 2nd. Would like to recover from jet lag and visit some old haunts around Madrid for a day or two, and then will be looking for a way to SJPP. Would welcome transport advice or taxi sharing. Jill
(edit: I meant to say taxi sharing from any intermediate point; not all the way from Madrid. Anyway, I will be flying to Pamplona and hoping to find transportation to SJPP from there. The bus schedules for May 2016 don't appear to be up yet)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I fly into Madrid on May 2nd. Would like to recover from jet lag and visit some old haunts around Madrid for a day or two, and then will be looking for a way to SJPP. Would welcome transport advice or taxi sharing. Jill

Hi JullGat. We will also be flying in from SA and stay over in Madrid (10th of May 2016) for one night. We would also like to find out about transport from Madrid to SJPdeP.

A taxi from Madrid to St. Jean is not practical or needed.

There is train and bus service to Pamplona which gets you closer to SJPdP.

There is now bus service from Pamplona to St. Jean in the busy season.
Maybe someone can post the details here.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found a cheap flight to Pamplona, arriving about 2pm on May 3. I don't see buses going from Pamplona to SJPP, but it may be too early for them to show on the websites.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm with Grayland. Spain has superb and very cheap public transport; there is absolutely no need to go to the extreme of hiring a taxi to travel 500 km.

I do wish people would read the list of topics. Here is a comprehensive list of ways to get to SJPDP and Roncesvalles from Madrid.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...to-roncesvalles-and-sjpdp-via-pamplona.23395/

Yes, Kanga, I did look at the list of topics. I know there are plenty of ways to travel around Spain. I've done it before. However - as others have mentioned - the buses to SJPP aren't showing up online yet. I thought it might be fun to share a taxi from, say, Pamplona to SJPP. I've got my transport figured out now, though.

A taxi from Madrid to St. Jean is not practical or needed.

There is train and bus service to Pamplona which gets you closer to SJPdP.

There is now bus service from Pamplona to St. Jean in the busy season.
Maybe someone can post the details here.

Thank you grayland. I would also like some more info from anyone who has done this before. travelling from Madrid to SJPdP. I will however have a look at the topics as recommended.

Laurie and I took a taxi from Madrid to St Jean in 2014 . Flat rate $750 . Although it appears on the surface not practical the circumstances as to why was practical . (for us) . I budgeted in the expense for a taxi back in 2013 when planning . Looking at the number of hours traveling from Arkansas via Chicago to Madrid , then a train , bus or taxi to Pamplona , spend the night then over to St Jean in the morning was arduous . Having a wife that suffers badly from Motion sickness the short , direct route was the practical yet most expensive one.

Arriving in Madrid where our driver Juan met us ( Great Guy) . Laurie took another Dramamine pill hopped in the back seat of the cab and slept the 5 hour to St Jean.

In May 2016 , I'm going the scenic route , flying into Pamplona onto Los Arcos or USA> Barcelona where I will take the train to Logrono ,then taxi to Los Arcos . No need for a long distance cab

I DO recommend if you can share -ride from Madrid to St Jean to do it . it's quicker, easier and give's you some extra time to acclimate before starting your Camino from St Jean.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If there'd been a way to do a one way rental, I would have rented a BMW motorcycle in Madrid and ridden to SJPP. Couldn't find a company who would do it, though.

Laurie and I took a taxi from Madrid to St Jean in 2014 . Flat rate $750 . Although it appears on the surface not practical the circumstances as to why was practical . (for us) . I budgeted in the expense for a taxi back in 2013 when planning . Looking at the number of hours traveling from Arkansas via Chicago to Madrid , then a train , bus or taxi to Pamplona , spend the night then over to St Jean in the morning was arduous . Having a wife that suffers badly from Motion sickness the short , direct route was the practical yet most expensive one.

Arriving in Madrid where our driver Juan met us ( Great Guy) . Laurie took another Dramamine pill hopped in the back seat of the cab and slept the 5 hour to St Jean.

In May 2016 , I'm going the scenic route , flying into Pamplona onto Los Arcos or USA> Barcelona where I will take the train to Logrono ,then taxi to Los Arcos . No need for a long distance cab

I DO recommend if you can share -ride from Madrid to St Jean to do it . it's quicker, easier and give's you some extra time to acclimate before starting your Camino from St Jean.

Hi DeadFred. Thank you for the info. This option would probably be the easiest. unfortunately with our currency being so bad against the Euro this would cost us far to much. We will have to go by bus. We need someone who has done this route by bus to tell as how it was done. We can catch a bus to Pamplona but it is a unclear how to get to SJPP from there.

If there'd been a way to do a one way rental, I would have rented a BMW motorcycle in Madrid and ridden to SJPP. Couldn't find a company who would do it, though.

haha. sounds like a nice idea. My hubby would have liked that option too

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm hoping to stay at the Corazon Puro B&B in Pamplona and they give a ride to SJPP the next morning.
Hi Jill, my train should arrive in Pamplona at 16:06 on May 8. If it is at all late, I risk losing the last bus to SJPDP at 17:30. I am considering hiring a taxi to take me there
but it would cost about 100 Euros. If you are in Pamplona at the same time with the same predicament, would you consider sharing the taxi? Other pilgrims would
also be welcome.

Hi DeadFred. Thank you for the info. This option would probably be the easiest. unfortunately with our currency being so bad against the Euro this would cost us far to much. We will have to go by bus. We need someone who has done this route by bus to tell as how it was done. We can catch a bus to Pamplona but it is a unclear how to get to SJPP from there.

CONDA provides bus service from Pamplona bus station to SJPdP.
There are currently two buses on the schedule; 1430 and 1730 (year 2016). The past few summers have seen more earlier buses added starting late May or early June.

CONDA is owned by ALSA. See the ALSA website for confirming schedule information.
https://www.alsa.es/en/home

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Jill, my train should arrive in Pamplona at 16:06 on May 8. If it is at all late, I risk losing the last bus to SJPDP at 17:30. I am considering hiring a taxi to take me there
but it would cost about 100 Euros. If you are in Pamplona at the same time with the same predicament, would you consider sharing the taxi? Other pilgrims would
also be welcome.

I am flying from Madrid to Pamplona and then staying at Corazon Puro near there on the Camino for the night. They will drive me to SJPP in the morning (May 4th). You could consider checking with Corazon Puro, too: http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

(edit: I meant to say taxi sharing from any intermediate point; not all the way from Madrid. Anyway, I will be flying to Pamplona and hoping to find transportation to SJPP from there. The bus schedules for May 2016 don't appear to be up yet)

Hi Jill. we will arrive in Madrid on the 10th May 13h00. We booked into a hotel there for 1 night to catch a bus to pamplona next day 11th and then to SJPDP. will it be possible to catch a flight into Pamplona on the same day. which airline are your using?

Hi Jill. we will arrive in Madrid on the 10th May 13h00. We booked into a hotel there for 1 night to catch a bus to pamplona next day 11th and then to SJPDP. will it be possible to catch a flight into Pamplona on the same day. which airline are your using?

Aena Pamplona PNA includes information about airlines that serve the route from Madrid.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Pamplona/en/

I am including information about San Sebastian (3km from Irun Renfe station) and Biarritz as transport to SJPdP from both are more frequent than from Pamplona.

Aena San Sebastian EAS
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-San-Sebastian/en/

Biarritz BIQ
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Aena Pamplona PNA includes information about airlines that serve the route from Madrid.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Pamplona/en/

I am including information about San Sebastian (3km from Irun Renfe station) and Biarritz as transport to SJPdP from both are more frequent than from Pamplona.

Aena San Sebastian EAS
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-San-Sebastian/en/

Biarritz BIQ
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/
Thank you for the links. We found a airline, Iberia, flight to Biarritz then from there tot Bayonne and catch the train to SJPDP. Looking forward to start the route on the 12the May.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back