• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

That's that, then

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
At the pilgrim mass today in Santiago there was mention of "uno del Reino Unido, desde Barcelona". And that was the end of this year's camino. Now I must go home and get on with the tiresome necessity of earning enough money to pay for next year's.

Difficult to see how anything will come close to matching this one, but I expect I said that about the others as well. One thing that will be virtually impossible to match in the future is the sheer quantity of Spain I've seen for the first time in the last few weeks - including crossing six new provinces: Zaragosa, Soria, Burgos, Cantabria, Asturias and Lugo.

Much though I've enjoyed it, I think next time I will stick to something simple like the Vía de la Plata, perhaps from Almería. This year's one must come near to claiming the prize for the pick 'n mix Camino: 10 days of the Ruta del Ebro (overlapping with the Camí de Sant Jaume for a few days, and indeed the Camino Ignaciano), the whole of the Camino Castellano-Aragonés, 3 days veering between the Ruta de la Lana and the Camino de San Olaf, 1km or so on the Camino Francés in Burgos, a day on the Olvidado, 10 days or so on the Camino del Norte (overlapping with the Liébana for a few hours. and diverting for a day onto the Primitivo), and finishing with the Ruta do Mar and Camino Inglés.

So many wonderful memories. And last night there was a full moon over the cathedral - what more could one possibly ask for?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congratulations! Now off to plan the next one ;-) What about the Via Francigena for example? Buen Camino, SY

Thanks for sharing your special camino filled with wonderful finds and descriptions ! May you enjoy reviewing those memories as you journey home. Now in the truest sense Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At the pilgrim mass today in Santiago there was mention of "uno del Reino Unido, desde Barcelona". And that was the end of this year's camino. Now I must go home and get on with the tiresome necessity of earning enough money to pay for next year's.

Difficult to see how anything will come close to matching this one, but I expect I said that about the others as well. One thing that will be virtually impossible to match in the future is the sheer quantity of Spain I've seen for the first time in the last few weeks - including crossing six new provinces: Zaragosa, Soria, Burgos, Cantabria, Asturias and Lugo.

Much though I've enjoyed it, I think next time I will stick to something simple like the Vía de la Plata, perhaps from Almería. This year's one must come near to claiming the prize for the pick 'n mix Camino: 10 days of the Ruta del Ebro (overlapping with the Camí de Sant Jaume for a few days, and indeed the Camino Ignaciano), the whole of the Camino Castellano-Aragonés, 3 days veering between the Ruta de la Lana and the Camino de San Olaf, 1km or so on the Camino Francés in Burgos, a day on the Olvidado, 10 days or so on the Camino del Norte (overlapping with the Liébana for a few hours. and diverting for a day onto the Primitivo), and finishing with the Ruta do Mar and Camino Inglés.

So many wonderful memories. And last night there was a full moon over the cathedral - what more could one possibly ask for?
You should definitely be awarded for "1km or so on the Camino Francés in Burgos" :D

Congratuulations from former & hopefully future "pick 'n mix 'n walk" pilgrim!!!

I'm trying to pick a tag to put on this thread (and a few others that are similar). "Route choice" seems a very boring way of putting it. Congratulations Alan, on your pioneering spirit.

I'm trying to pick a tag to put on this thread (and a few others that are similar). "Route choice" seems a very boring way of putting it. Congratulations Alan, on your pioneering spirit.
Maybe change the name of the thread to 'That's what, then?' ;)

Congratulations Alan. What a great Camino. You must have some stories to tell after that one!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
thank you for all your posts and updates - I've really enjoyed following along the path that you've created.

buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congrats Alan and all the best for the next one. Planning is just as much fan.

Sometimes endings are especially poignant...but a full moon in SdC seems a fitting bit of closure.
Alan, just curious after such a long and varied journey--just off the top of your head, what was (were?) the highlight(s) and what was (were) the low point(s)?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations! Now off to plan the next one ;-) What about the Via Francigena for example? Buen Camino, SY

Have you done the Vía Francigena?? I'm very tempted, but it's a long way (I WANT to do the whole strech, otherwise it's no fun) and my vacation would never let me do this... I have 5 weeks maximum, it's too short...

Have you done the Vía Francigena?? I'm very tempted, but it's a long way (I WANT to do the whole strech, otherwise it's no fun) and my vacation would never let me do this... I have 5 weeks maximum, it's too short...

Part of it in Italy, but so long ago that my experience wouldn't help you at all. Buen Camino, SY
PS @ivar runs also https://www.viafrancigena.me/

All the best to you and your future planning, Alan. I have similar feelings as you about having experienced so much of Spain, and next year, God willing, after finishing 4 weeks educating myself at a Spanish language school in Alicante, staying in a private house/family (which I am looking more and more forward to!) I may very well start off from there walking the Sureste, all due to your brilliant posts on that one. Thanks a lot, and I wish you many buen Caminos!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

And a congratulations from me as well.

Several years ago a friend sent me a photo she had taken of the footpath outside her apartment in LeuvenStJacobsKerk2.JPG
With your wayfinding skills starting in Belgium may be easier than the S Bernard's Pass, but still a challenge.

Many thanks for the many kind words. It's been a very good one, and, finally back home, it's hard to re-adapt to driving horizontal Cumbrian sleet and "normal" life of about 7 hours of full daylight if the clouds are kind, which they aren't being at the moment.

For the first time, nearing Santiago, I didn't get a feeling of slight depression that the year's little adventure was coming to an end. This time there was a real sense of completion, and I was quite looking forward to getting home - despite knowing that I would soon be ankle deep in domestic mud again.

Many thanks for the many kind words. It's been a very good one, and, finally back home, it's hard to re-adapt to driving horizontal Cumbrian sleet and "normal" life of about 7 hours of full daylight if the clouds are kind, which they aren't being at the moment.

For the first time, nearing Santiago, I didn't get a feeling of slight depression that the year's little adventure was coming to an end. This time there was a real sense of completion, and I was quite looking forward to getting home - despite knowing that I would soon be ankle deep in domestic mud again.

So, alan, how much readjustment time should I give you before I start bombarding you with questions about these routes? I was thinking I'd wait till after the holidays, but you never know, you may be in that post-camino camino dreaming phase again and may find them a welcome distraction from the mud and rain. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.