• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Choices

Kathy C

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2015)
Having finished (sort of) the Camino Frances Oct 2015, I want to return for more next September. I turned 70 on this Camino and ended up with severe tendinitis in one ankle and opposite knee. I rested and took transport after Carrion to Sarria but felt a bit like I "cheated" even though I did get my certificate. I feel like I have a gap in my experience. I am considering going back to the Frances to fill in the missed portions OR do the Camino from Lisbon to Santiago and then Finisterre/Muxia. I could fill the gap and just do the Porto to Santiago portion of the Portuguese. Time, budget and physical capabilities are all factors. Did I miss much? Is it worth going back or would the Portuguese be fulfilling in and of itself? Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Personally I think you would regret not 'finishing' your first Camino. And depending on time and budget there is no reason you couldn't do both. As for preventing another tendinitis - they key is to keep well hydrated and to change your gait frequently. Buen Camino! SY

Having finished (sort of) the Camino Frances Oct 2015, I want to return for more next September. I turned 70 on this Camino and ended up with severe tendinitis in one ankle and opposite knee. I rested and took transport after Carrion to Sarria but felt a bit like I "cheated" even though I did get my certificate. I feel like I have a gap in my experience. I am considering going back to the Frances to fill in the missed portions OR do the Camino from Lisbon to Santiago and then Finisterre/Muxia. I could fill the gap and just do the Porto to Santiago portion of the Portuguese. Time, budget and physical capabilities are all factors. Did I miss much? Is it worth going back or would the Portuguese be fulfilling in and of itself? Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.
Hola, Kathy!

I would second SYates. So many Caminos on Iberian peninsula (and even more throughout Europe), but I think Camino Frances has a bit of all of them. So why not "finish" the CF first and then decide to take another one. And another one. And another one ;)

As far as joints tendinitis/inflamation - it's quite common that when you first feel the pain in your left ankle the right knee will follow. And left hip etc. It's going like in zig-zag. So I would again second previous poster advice. Also check how your backpack is packed. Is it too heavy maybe? Or loaded unevenly, more weight on one side? Anyway, lots of good advices on this forum.

Wish you longlasting and pain-free love with Camino :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nobody does the Portuguese any more. It's too crowded!;)
Walking from Oporto to Santiago last June, I didn't have the impression that it was "too crowded". As yet!:D
However, it is true that this year, compared to last year, the numbers walking the Portugués increased considerably. The number of people who started from Ponte de Lima increased by 32%, Oporto 26%, Valença 26% and Tui 19% and the total of Portugués pilgrims already represent 36% of the numbers who walked Sarria-Santiago. :eek:The latter increased 15% compared to 2014.:mad:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To each their own, but I would try something new. I did the Frances this year and am planning to do the Portuguese in 2016. I don't consider sending your pack ahead (I didn't but would if necessary), or using a bus or taxi in "dangerous" sections or if injured, as cheating. Sometimes it just needs to be done. You still are seeing everything and being on the Camino. The only way you would be cheating would be if you said you walked from Sarria when you actually did not just to get a Compostela.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
To each their own, but I would try something new. I did the Frances this year and am planning to do the Portuguese in 2016. I don't consider sending your pack ahead (I didn't but would if necessary), or using a bus or taxi in "dangerous" sections or if injured, as cheating. Sometimes it just needs to be done. You still are seeing everything and being on the Camino. The only way you would be cheating would be if you said you walked from Sarria when you actually did not just to get a Compostela.
"Taking transport from Crrion to Saria" is not the same as having bags schlepted by transport. I think that if the OP was transported, and not just the backpack, she would have missed quite a bit. Asfor "dangeous parts", Kathy makes no mention of this regarding transport. And dangerous places along the CF? Where?

It is not a matter of "cheating" or anything so silly, it is more a matter of what you have missed. I'd want to go back and walk the sections not experienced. Whizzing past things in a bus or car is just not the same. Carrion to Sarria is a sizeable chunk.

I don't like "highlights" of the CF because to fully appreciate it my view is that it all should be walked, but, but, but - the rest of the meseta, including Sahagun, León with its stunning cathedral, Pantheon of the Kings, and Parisienne atmosphere, Hospital de Orbigo's marvellous bridge, the wildflowers between Santibañez and Astorga, the chocolate factory, cathedral and Gaudi's palace in Astorga, the restored Maragata village of Castrillo de la Polvazares, the lovely villages up to Rabanal, the Cruz de Ferro, and down to Molinasecca through the valley of the nightingale with sistas roses in bloom everywhere, the prettiest villages of El Acebo and Riego de Ambrose clinging to the hillsides, with their wonderful overhanging balconies, Molinaseccas beautiful river, the fabulous Knights Templar castle in Pontferrada, the iconic climb up to O Cebreiro......And on and on.

Yes, that is a large piece of the Camino to miss but injuries do happen. And even by bus, you are still traveling along the Camino and at least seeing some of it. If that's all you can do, it's better than nothing. No, it isn't inherently "dangerous" but there are parts that would be quite a challenge if injured. As above, I was commenting that it isn't cheating if it's the best you can do with an injury.

Kathy was not asking for an opinion about what she did.

Let's not get sidetracked but instead answer her question - did she miss much and should she go back? Or do another route?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is not a matter of "cheating" or anything so silly, it is more a matter of what you have missed. I'd want to go back and walk the sections not experienced. Whizzing past things in a bus or car is just not the same. Carrion to Sarria is a sizeable chunk.

I don't like "highlights" of the CF because to fully appreciate it my view is that it all should be walked, but, but, but - the rest of the meseta, including Sahagun, León with its stunning cathedral, Pantheon of the Kings, and Parisienne atmosphere, Hospital de Orbigo's marvellous bridge, the wildflowers between Santibañez and Astorga, the chocolate factory, cathedral and Gaudi's palace in Astorga, the restored Maragata village of Castrillo de la Polvazares, the lovely villages up to Rabanal, the Cruz de Ferro, and down to Molinasecca through the valley of the nightingale with sistas roses in bloom everywhere, the prettiest villages of El Acebo and Riego de Ambrose clinging to the hillsides, with their wonderful overhanging balconies, Molinaseccas beautiful river, the fabulous Knights Templar castle in Pontferrada, the iconic climb up to O Cebreiro......And on and on.
Did 2nd Camino finishing October but after your 'travel documentary', I want to experience them all again....Sort of now! LOL

...I don't like "highlights" of the CF because to fully appreciate it my view is that it all should be walked, but, but, but - the rest of the meseta, including Sahagun, León with its stunning cathedral, Pantheon of the Kings, and Parisienne atmosphere, Hospital de Orbigo's marvellous bridge, the wildflowers between Santibañez and Astorga, the chocolate factory, cathedral and Gaudi's palace in Astorga, the restored Maragata village of Castrillo de la Polvazares, the lovely villages up to Rabanal, the Cruz de Ferro, and down to Molinasecca through the valley of the nightingale with sistas roses in bloom everywhere, the prettiest villages of El Acebo and Riego de Ambrose clinging to the hillsides, with their wonderful overhanging balconies, Molinaseccas beautiful river, the fabulous Knights Templar castle in Pontferrada, the iconic climb up to O Cebreiro......And on and on.
...Did I miss much? Is it worth going back or would the Portuguese be fulfilling in and of itself? Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

@Kanga has answered beautifully - there is so much between Carrion and Sarria. I am so glad to have walked this Way for all these wonderful big memories and all the smaller treasures that the journey gifted.

And the mere fact that you are asking, says to me that you need to live the question. For me, to complete the journey would mean that I could look back on the Camino Frances without regret. My husband missed a few days - Calzadilla to Leon - due to injury and he feels that disappointment still.

In the end, regardless of all our advice and opinions, your heart will choose your next path.

Buen Camino, whichever Road calls you...

I finished the Camino Frances 10/1/2013. I then went on to take a bus from Santiago to Finisterre. I was so sick from a cold that we never walked to what everyone calls "the end of the world". I couldn't wait to get out of there because of the cold. It still bothers me to this day not to have seen it. Although, it does bother me a little, I feel very fortunate for having the experience, the health, and opportunity to have walked the Camino Frances.
Towards the end of August 2016 we will travel again on Camino Frances and on to Finisterre. Maybe this time I'll make it to "the end of the world". If I don't that's ok.
In the end, I believe we each travel our own Camino no matter which one we choose to do. Long or short, bus or taxi, walking or biking, the journey is uniquely our own.

Thanks everyone. The Camino spirit is alive and well on this forum. I have decided I do want to fill in the gap. Kanga's reply tipped the scale. I know how I got my injury and think I can avoid a recurrence. I can hardly wait for next September but of course there is the training before that!

Thanks everyone. The Camino spirit is alive and well on this forum. I have decided I do want to fill in the gap. Kanga's reply tipped the scale. I know how I got my injury and think I can avoid a recurrence. I can hardly wait for next September but of course there is the training before that!

Good for you Kathy - for what it's worth, I think you've made a the right choice. You probably know in your 'logical' mind that you didn't cheat in any way, but you still have that niggling feeling that you missed something. There's only one way to get rid of that feeling :). And - as @Kanga said, you'll get to experience another lovely section of the Camino.
Buen Camino!

Hi Kathy, I saw the pain you were in and you didn't cheat in any way. You completed your journey the best way you could. I was totally amazed how you over came what you did and so sad I didn't see your email for dinner until the next morning in Santiago. I totally get you wanting to go back and finish the bits in between I think that us way I would do also and then go on to another. In hindsight the tendinitis seemed to kick in when people did too big a days with either long hard surfaces like into Burgos or the steep descents and went very quickly. I was blown away with how fit you are and want to be like you when I am 70. You getting your compestelia is more meaningful than some of us who walked injury free as you had to overcome so much more and your still managed to get to Santiago. And yes I would go back and do the bit I missed. Someone mentioned packs in an earlier post I didn't notice yours but I have never seen so many badly packed and fitted packs as on the Camino. I wish you all the best dear lady. You are inspirational

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh and I agree with changing the gait and keeping well hydrated it seems to make such a didferenc

@Kathy C gee, please don't blame me! But I do think you'll enjoy it - the second time round there is so much less pressure. My current injury prevention strategy is to stop before my body tells me it is time. My maxim is "no pain, lots to gain".

There is nothing wrong with sitting in a cafe and watching the world go by for while.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We went back to fill in our gap, and really enjoyed it. (And then we repeated a bit we really enjoyed to fill up the rest of the available time.)

I would definitely redo the missed part of the Camino. My fiancé and I did ours from September 6 to October 7, 2015 which is 32 days. We did, however, rent bicycles to travel from Burgos to Leon and we had a ball!! We did this because we wanted to incorporate two extra rest days, (and it's a good thing we did as we both got colds at different times) and it also allowed us to give our feet and knees a much needed rest. My friend Kelly recommended this as she was forced to do this for her camino due to injury, but we did it and were glad we did, although we have VERY sore bums in the meantime!! We rode through the meseta's 168kms in 2.5 days instead of the possibly six or seven it would have taken us on foot. I don't think this is cheating, as we got from St. Jean to Santiago by 'foot' power....so what if it was peddling a bike instead of suffering more injury by walking!! BTW - send your packs ahead if you rent bikes otherwise you get thrown off balance and end up in the ditch like I did!! (lol....I was fine as it was a ditch cushioned with old weeds that cradled my fall). I would redo it for all the things that Kanga said you would have missed, and then some.

Buen Camino!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On my1st Camino, from day 1, I met/walked with a couple,who the hear before had intended to ealk the whole CF but had to skip the Meseta due to injury and was redoing the whole thing to make up for that. And they did! I was so happy for them they were able to do it. That was also when I learned there are strange people wanting to keep walking. No wonder I am now one of them: I learned on day 1 about this addiction.

Each Camino is a personal journey. Don't get caught up in thinking you "cheated". There's no such thing. The CDS has,is and will be walked, crawled, ran, done on horseback, bicycle, etc. you get the idea. Where IS the start? Your home? SJPP? Paris? Who's rules do we use to determine if what we did meets a certain criteria? I say walk YOUR CDS, don't worry about what others criteria is. Follow your heart and you will never feel you cheated.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back