• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino inglés 2016 - advice needed

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Hi everyone,

I plan to do the Inglés in July 2016. A few questions:

- Is it possible to do it backwards, i.e. form Santiago to Ferrol? I would like to end in Ferrol. Or will I hurt my neck by looking for the waymarkers over my shoulder? :O)
- In that case: can I easily get back to Santiago from Ferrol by bus?
- How is waymarking in general on this route? (What do you think it would be like searching for them from behind?)
- Is late July a good time to go or what would be better?
- What not to miss/avoid?

Any information or advice will be appreciated, thanks!

/BP

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you do it Ferrol to SDC where and how will you get to Ferrol? Flights land in A Coruna or SDC your choice! Once you know that, trains and Autobus' travel between A Coruna and SDC (one hour /one & three quarter hours) to get from A Coruna to Ferrol is a short journey by either means of transport.
Given the choice myself and considering the excellent waymarkers, some may well tell you where you came from but leave you with little idea of where to go next if you do it "backwards"! I have done it in June it wasn't a too busy route, although we did have seven or eight camino friends each day.

If you do it Ferrol to SDC where and how will you get to Ferrol? Flights land in A Coruna or SDC your choice! Once you know that, trains and Autobus' travel between A Coruna and SDC (one hour /one & three quarter hours) to get from A Coruna to Ferrol is a short journey by either means of transport.
Given the choice myself and considering the excellent waymarkers, some may well tell you where you came from but leave you with little idea of where to go next if you do it "backwards"! I have done it in June it wasn't a too busy route, although we did have seven or eight camino friends each day.
In mid-September this year it was very busy, with albergues full. I imagine July would be busy, too. I assume that a credencial is still usable/necessary even if one is not on a pilgrimage to SdC? The general idea is to head towards there!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well way marked, even if you walk backwards!
Download Johnnie Walkers' s Ingles guide to your I- books from CSJ website.
Buses run from S de C bus station to Ferrol, 1 hr 15 mins.
It was a breeze this September, nowhere particularly crowded, thoughI don't do Albergues.
Light hearted account on myBlog:-
"ensuitepilgrim.wordpress.com"

Utreia!

ensuitepilgrim.wordpress.com

Oh,

I looked it through rapidly just now, will read it all later. What beautiful pictures. Makes me think of all the times I've said to myself I'll keep a blog when I walk. And still I never do it. :O(

Have you done other Caminos - what year, what months? I love reading other blogs about caminos I have done, to refresh my memories. Are they on the same page?

Thanks

BP

I quite like this Camino... though not backwards :). Its got great great places to be and to stay in and the walks are fantastic. Even the two difficult-ish bits are just fantastic. Will be back there soon.... I pray

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Okay,

Thank you everone for responding. Just to clarify: I will be reaching Santiago from the Camino francés, that's why I want to do it backwards towards Ferrol. Just pushing on, that is. I don't like taking the bus to Ferrol and then go back to Santiago, even if this time it is just transport and not cheating. And I have walked into Santiago so many times so for me it's just another stop... I prefer ending in another town (Ferrol) that I don't know anything about! :O)

Okay,

Thank you everone for responding. Just to clarify: I will be reaching Santiago from the Camino francés, that's why I want to do it backwards towards Ferrol. Just pushing on, that is. I don't like taking the bus to Ferrol and then go back to Santiago, even if this time it is just transport and not cheating. And I have walked into Santiago so many times so for me it's just another stop... I prefer ending in another town (Ferrol) that I don't know anything about! :O)
Thanks for that explanation - I still prefer walking the "normal" way to SdC - but just as well we're not all the same!
Bad Pilgrim [I don't believe it] - I walked both of the English caminos last year. You may find something of interest on my web-site - links to all pictures, photos etc.
Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will enjoy the beautiful caminos ...

Okay,

Great plan, @Bad Pilgrim! Some parts of your first day on the Ingles might be a bit tricky. From what I can recall, a lot of the arrows in the forest between Sigueiro and SdC are on the trees. I found it hard at times to see them - I imagine it would be even harder when approaching from the opposite direction.
Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've done the Ingles twice in July and deserted both times - for whatever that's worth.

Getting back to Santiago from Ferrol is very easy: from the main bus terminal a ride will cost you about 9 euros and takes an hour.

I've done the Ingles twice in July and deserted both times - for whatever that's worth.

Deserted? Do you mean it was too difficult or that something happened to prevent you from completing it? ( nervous first timer planning the Ingles next year)

Okay,

Thanks for the clarification.
We met a couple who were walking as you plan, they had walked the Portugese to Santiago and were continuing to Ferrol. I would suggest that you get Johnnie's guide and then read it backwards (ie substitute left for right) so that when you find an arrow/mojon you can check where you should go and where the Camino has come from.
Buen 'reverse' Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great plan, @Bad Pilgrim! Some parts of your first day on the Ingles might be a bit tricky. From what I can recall, a lot of the arrows in the forest between Sigueiro and SdC are on the trees. I found it hard at times to see them - I imagine it would be even harder when approaching from the opposite direction.
Buen Camino.

Uh-oh,

So far it seems it's going to be tricky, according to what you all have written... I'll guess I'll have to reconsider it. It is just that... I know it sounds stupid, but... I'll be reaching Santiago from the Camino francés, and as I said it's "been there, done that" for me... Then the thought of taking the bus to Ferrol to walk to Santiago again and reach it for the 2nd time in one week... aaargh I've had enough of that city!! :O) Probably sounds like blasphemy for a lot of prilgrims, but... I am the Bad pilgrim.......... ;O)

/BP

I walked the Ingles early in September 2015 and it was practically deserted. In Mino I was the only person in the muni. The only albergue I encountered any kind of crowd was in Betanzos. I found the way markings a little obscure in several places and managed to get lost several times but it was easy to make corrections. Just a reminder the scallop shells point backwards in Galicia.

Uh-oh,

So far it seems it's going to be tricky, according to what you all have written... I'll guess I'll have to reconsider it. It is just that... I know it sounds stupid, but... I'll be reaching Santiago from the Camino francés, and as I said it's "been there, done that" for me... Then the thought of taking the bus to Ferrol to walk to Santiago again and reach it for the 2nd time in one week... aaargh I've had enough of that city!! :O) Probably sounds like blasphemy for a lot of prilgrims, but... I am the Bad pilgrim.......... ;O)

/BP
I said 'tricky', not impossible! I totally get your reasons for wanting to walk it backwards and for what it's worth, I think you should just do it.

I walked the A Coruna arm, so I can only comment on the section between Bruma and Santiago. But most of the Ingles seems to be on or near roads and I found the locals to be super-helpful when I got lost (which was always my own fault). As others have said, @JohnnieWalker's guide is really good and it should keep you right most of the time. Good luck - the Camino Ingles is a lovely walk.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Uh-oh,

/BP
I wouldn't be put off if I were you.
Earlier this year,after completing the Camino Frances,I walked part of the Norte in reverse direction from Arzua to Ribadeo.Although it was somewhat challenging at times and I occasionally took the wrong direction,I always arrived at my destination in good time.Even without a map or guidebook and with my very basic Spanish I managed to ask for directions whenever I saw someone.
Next year I hope to walk the Primitivo and then Santiago to Ferrol.
Go for it and Buen Camino!

I wouldn't be put off if I were you.
Earlier this year,after completing the Camino Frances,I walked part of the Norte in reverse direction from Arzua to Ribadeo.Although it was somewhat challenging at times and I occasionally took the wrong direction,I always arrived at my destination in good time.Even without a map or guidebook and with my very basic Spanish I managed to ask for directions whenever I saw someone.
Next year I hope to walk the Primitivo and then Santiago to Ferrol.
Go for it and Buen Camino!

Hi,

Same for me: Primitivo and the Inglés next year! :OD I will be on Primitivo in July - what about you?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.