• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Look at flying from Canada

ctdkite

Time of past OR future Camino
hoping
We live about equal distances from Winnipeg and Minneapolis. On a fluke, I decided to look at prices from Winnipeg. They are currently half the price of tickets from Minneapolis. This applied whether I was looking at Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, etc. We ended up purchasing tickets from Winnipeg to Lisbon for nearly 50% less than it would cost to fly from Minneapolis. The funny thing is that the first stop is . . . Minneapolis.

I thought I would pass this on. I suppose that many Americans, like me, would not have initially thought of looking at Canada.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I confirmed much lower prices on comparable distances all across the continent - Calgary vs Denver (to Madrid), Vancouver vs Seattle (to Madrid). This is really remarkable. Especially when your flight will actually stop in Minneapolis! I would love to know why there is such a large differential!?

That is really bizarre but very true. I looked at a flight from Toronto to Madrid and it cost $631 RT. The same exact fight from the Chicago leg to Madrid is $1271.RT. That makes no sense, imo. I wonder if I can buy the ticket and just get on and off in Chicago^^, probably not.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That will be a fist, us poor Canadians are so used to paying an unexplainable premium. Great news, especially considering the value of pur dwindelling dollar. Thank you for the info.

This raises a question for me. I looked at a flight from Toronto to Madrid RT 3/29 - 4/30. The cost is $631. a great fare. This flight flies through Chicago my home city. This flight changes planes in Chicago (ORD). The flight if you originate from ORD is $1271. RT. Does any one know if it is possible to purchase the Toronto origin ticket and just use the ORD to Mad portions. It seems possible to me but I have never tried it.

Might be best to try this in a separate thread but thought I would try here first.

Ultreya,
Joe

This raises a question for me. I looked at a flight from Toronto to Madrid RT 3/29 - 4/30. The cost is $631. a great fare. This flight flies through Chicago my home city. This flight changes planes in Chicago (ORD). The flight if you originate from ORD is $1271. RT. Does any one know if it is possible to purchase the Toronto origin ticket and just use the ORD to Mad portions. It seems possible to me but I have never tried it.

Might be best to try this in a separate thread but thought I would try here first.

Ultreya,
Joe
I'm pretty sure that the answer is NO. I think you have to use the different segments, in sequence. If you don't get on the first flight, your next will be cancelled.

I also agree with Anemone that the inexplicable price differential is usually the other way around!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm pretty sure that the answer is NO. I think you have to use the different segments, in sequence. If you don't get on the first flight, your next will be cancelled.

I also agree with Anemone that the inexplicable price differential is usually the other way around!

C clearly:

Thanks for your response. Is that an opinion or do you know that to be the case?

I have flown before where I bought a ticket that was cheaper to fly to London on a ticket to Dublin that stopped in London first. I realize this is different but if there are two separate boarding passes and you change planes, this might be possible. Anyone else have an opinion or knowledge of this process?

Ultreya,
Joe

C clearly is correct.
The entire flight is one itinerary and in the computers that way.

If you do not check in and use the first segment...you are a "no show" and the itinerary is cancelled.
A reverse flight from (example) Madrid to Torronto, with stop in ORD, could work as you simply don't continue on from Chicago..
Airlines frown on this but unless you are doing it on a regular basis there is nothing they can do..

C clearly:

Thanks for your response. Is that an opinion or do you know that to be the case?

I am certain that I have read this as a policy but that doesn't mean it is the case forever and everywhere. Only the airline selling you the ticket can answer with knowledge. If they say it is ok, I would suggest getting it in writing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
C clearly is correct.
The entire flight is one itinerary and in the computers that way.

If you do not check in and use the first segment...you are a "no show" and the itinerary is cancelled.
A reverse flight from (example) Madrid to Torronto, with stop in ORD, could work as you simply don't continue on from Chicago..
Airlines frown on this but unless you are doing it on a regular basis there is nothing they can do..

Grayland:

Thanks for confirming C clearly's response. I thought since there were two different boarding passes and two different airlines one might be able to skip the first leg and just board after the layover. It is pretty interesting that one can purchase a ticket for half price if you want to start from Toronto and go through Chicago versus taking just the Chicago leg. The back half is a bit of a no-brainer that I have done before.

Thanks,
Joe

I am certain that I have read this as a policy but that doesn't mean it is the case forever and everywhere. Only the airline selling you the ticket can answer with knowledge. If they say it is ok, I would suggest getting it in writing.

C cleary:

Thank you again for your response and suggestion.

Joe

Ultreya,
Joe
We do this things in EU all the time. Even with low-cost companies like RyanAir or EasyJet. Sometimes airfare ticket it's even cheaper if you book a hotel room in adition and never showed up there :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Generally correct, but they have to wait until check-in period until selling rest of the tickets. That's another option if you want to fly cheap. Kind of tenting on airports and waiting for last minute tickets. Friends told me they have traveld around the world for few 100€ ;)

Generally correct, but they have to wait until check-in period until selling rest of the tickets. That's another option if you want to fly cheap. Kind of tenting on airports and waiting for last minute tickets. Friends told me they have traveld around the world for few 100€ ;)
Is this in recent years? You need a boarding pass to get through security. I thought standby travel at cheap prices was a thing of the past except for airline employees.

Is this in recent years? You need a boarding pass to get through security. I thought standby travel at cheap prices was a thing of the past except for airline employees.
Yes, that was in recent years. They waited on airports until last call when they checked for available tickets at the air companies counters. Usually someone wouldn't show up or the plane wasn't full so the tickets were really cheap. Empty seat is the most expensive one for companies.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What is really amazing to me is this price and even a lower one $609 RT is still available. That fare would be gone in one day direct from Chicago. I am wondering what the driver is for this fare? Possibly travel from Canada to the U.S. ? These type of fares, to Madrid, exist at most of the major Canadian cities and go through a stop at an American city. They could just as easily go non-stop to Madrid. The most competitive Air Canada price I saw during a 3 day period was $718 to $870. Therefore, I assume the American airlines are trying to get the competitive air traffic to the states and making up the difference on the U.S. side. A typical flight from Toronto to Chicago is usually around $108.

Joe

I am getting ready to book tickets for April/May and will be leaving from Montreal rather than Boston. I live about equidistant from both. Montreal-Madrid r/t $654, Boston-Madrid $400 and up MORE for equivalent flights. Last year my husband and I travelled open jaw to Rome and returned from Paris. We saved about $350 each flying from Montreal. If you live near Canada, check it out. Oh, there are even cheaper flights, but I won't book a 29 hour flight to save $28. :)

I am getting ready to book tickets for April/May and will be leaving from Montreal rather than Boston. I live about equidistant from both. Montreal-Madrid r/t $654, Boston-Madrid $400 and up MORE for equivalent flights. Last year my husband and I travelled open jaw to Rome and returned from Paris. We saved about $350 each flying from Montreal. If you live near Canada, check it out. Oh, there are even cheaper flights, but I won't book a 29 hour flight to save $28. :)
Pong, out of curiosity, how did you book this flight? (Website). Thanks. Oh, wait wait. When the Americans are talking about their great discounts when flying from Canada, are the prices you are quoting in US$? In that case, prices for those of us in Canada would still be quite a nit higher with the currency exchange. Hoping that is not the case.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Pong, out of curiosity, how did you book this flight? (Website). Thanks. Oh, wait wait. When the Americans are talking about their great discounts when flying from Canada, are the prices you are quoting in US$? In that case, prices for those of us in Canada would still be quite a nit higher with the currency exchange. Hoping that is not the case.

Anemone:

I was quoting prices off the Kayak site and they were in U.S. dollars.

Joe

Anemone:

I was quoting prices off the Kayak site and they were in U.S. dollars.

Joe
Rats, that makes the price for us poor Canadians the same as usual. I was wondering what had happened with our airlines. :(:(:(

Yes, as Joe said, US $$. I usually check Kayak, but book on the airline website. These fares are for the American Airlines/Iberia/Finair/British Air aglomeration. Sorry if I momentarily got you excited for a great fare deal:(

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back