• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Quico a crazy uncle or is the house a cool place to stay? (Granja de Moreruela)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Damien,
I've stayed in the albergue in Granja, but I think it has since moved to new digs. When I was there it was connected to the bar at the entrance to town, and the Eroski site now shows a different building. Based on the comments, it seems to be newly renovated and nice. I've also stayed in the casa rural; the owners prefer to rent out the whole house, and if you're there on a weekend you may have trouble because it may be rented out. But we stayed there on a Sunday night -- called the day before and reserved a room. Rooms were very reasonable, but I can't remember the price.

Not much going on in town, but I walked out to the monastery in the afternoon and it was definitely worth the extra walking. Lovely romanesque apses, monastery in ruins, interesting tour.

Bottom line -- I think both places would be fine.

I stayed in the albergue this summer and it's OK. No kitchen but two restaurants in town. Small shop almost directly across the street. Might be quickly full because it's official start of Camino Sanabres and many pilgrims came by bus to start the next day.

Oh, no cold water in bathroom! Tough to walk in summer heat with warm water in bottles ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed there last March. Perigrina2000 is correct...the albergue is no longer attached to the bar (although you go there to pay). It is located to the left as you reach the main highway that runs through the town (bar is across the street to the right). Only two other pilgrims there when I stayed. Clean, heated and good hot shower. A decent meal at the bar. Small tienda located around the corner. I would stay there again.

From my notes:
"The walk today to Granja de Moreruela was pretty straightforward. Bar Rosemary was open at 7 so we could get a morning coffee. First place to be open for the peregrino desayuno trade since Sevilla.
The signs are reasonably easy to follow now with one exception but you end up in the same spot anyway so don't panic.
Granja has an interesting municipal Albergue. No kitchen in the building and no fridge. No plates or eating utensils of any description.
The women's bathroom? The door doesn't lock properly and when you have a shower the water goes all over the floor so put your stuff on the sink!
You get the key from the bar on your right (Teleclub) when you get into town and sign up there.
Don't expect them to be friendly. A bunch of bici-peregrinos turned up when there were only 2 beds free in the dorm and the chap refused to open the second dorm room for them because he couldn't be bothered cleaning the room the next morning.
We also have a young couple travelling as mendigos and begging their way dressed in traditional garb. When they asked if there was any chance of a free bed they got told to sleep in the bus shelter across the road. Now I don't agree myself with their approach and I do worry about their physical well-being because personally I think the garb is bonkers in this heat, but there is no need to be rude. I notice on Melanie's app that someone commented on their rudeness as well. So support the competition!

There is a tienda on the right hand side heading out of town with two nice ladies and another on the street where the Sanabres starts, and a bar on the left hand side that serves pinchos. Anything to avoid the Teleclub."

Not my favourite albergue due to the lack of basic kitchen facilities. I'd be tempted to try Uncle Quico!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nice description by @Donna Sch , I would second this.
After the village arrows lead you under the motorway (turn for Benavente is in the village) straight forward and around the bend to the right, but you may as well turn right and over the hill after the underpass. Maybe a bit tougher but quicker as I was overtaken by two peregrinos that started half an hour after me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Damian, you do realise the odds of meeting "the one" on that Camino is tiny, tiny, tiny?
But the women he would meet are exceptional! And tend to walk fast!
You do see lots of strangers across a crowded room

Curious to see how long that post on the other thread follows me around. Oh well, there are worse things to be known for.

More interested in quality over quantity, and so Donna's post is actually quite encouraging,

Curious about Lachance (Deb)'s reply, that could mean either: 1)With so many people around (on Frances, for example) you are unlikely have a person evolve from "stranger" to "interesting" status, due to the overall noise and competition for attention, whereas the VdLP may not suffer from the noise. or 2) With so many people around (on Frances, for example), and my own idiosyncrises, I am more likely to meet a compatible partner by sifting through the multiple opportunities. or 3) Something else.

Uggg... no expectations, seriously, I'm gonna walk and enjoy no matter what. I have struggled with this itinerary as the nature of this walk does not lend itself as well to my meticulous planning of Caminos of the past, though I am actually looking forward to some curveballs being thrown my way.

Damien

Damian: best way to approach the VdlP - no expectations (actually for any Camino). Maybe the ability to NOT do meticulous planning is a good thing. I had no expectations and a very rough plan when I walked in March. I ended up alone for over two weeks (saw no pilgrims and alone in the albergues), Ave train detours, getting lost (a lot), dogs, broke my phone so no wifi, guide or communication home, more dogs, freezing weather, etc... It ended up being exactly what I needed and one of my best Caminos.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A litle joke. A love song from the musical, South Pacific: Some Enchanted Evening.. You may see a stranger, across a crowded room, tra la

Agreed, with the exception of having Peregrina2000 help me score a reso that first night at Alcantara Pesca. Otherwise that might be a long long day, too too soon.

Agreed...I didn't have a guide, but I did print off notes on peregrina2000's recommendations, comments and stages. She is a great resource and I find her suggestions to be excellent.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back