• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on working as a Hospitalera please...

SafariGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Vía de la Plata, Primitivo, Norte, Lebaniego & Vadiniense,
Aragonés
Hi,

I've just returned from completing the Camino Frances (SJPP to SdC) and am very interested in going back in the Spring/Summer to work as a Hospitalera...for as long as possible. I understand that it is usual to spend no more than 2 weeks in this role at an individual albergue and would like to do this, moving from place to place along the way. Can anyone offer me any informed advice about the best way to make enquiries please?

I've tried emailing the Confraternity of James (I live in the UK) and am waiting for a response. I've tried searching on the web and very little current information comes up when I search.

My Spanish is extremely basic, but I'm planning to 'cram' between now and then to improve it...starting with 'phrases most useful when dealing with pilgrim scenarios'!

Any advice and/or signposts would be much appreciated :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks very much both. Really useful and much appreciated.

The link and related blogs/articles on 'being a hospitalero' were really good to read. Many thanks KinkyOne :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't train hospis anymore, but I can give you a good word of advice.
Go ahead and serve the usual two-week hospitalero stint. Do not sign on for more in succession after that, not until you've been there and done that. It really is NOT what it seems, after two weeks you really need some down-time, sometimes a whole lot of down time!

Once you've done the first stint, you qualify to serve just about anywhere. Whether you'll want to or not, that's another question.

Go ahead and serve the usual two-week hospitalero stint. Do not sign on for more in succession after that, not until you've been there and done that. It really is NOT what it seems, after two weeks you really need some down-time, sometimes a whole lot of down time!

Once you've done the first stint, you qualify to serve just about anywhere. Whether you'll want to or not, that's another question.
No beating round the bush. As always :D

Hi SafariGirl -

The CSJ refugio, Refugio Gaucelmo, at Rabanal, is a very, very special refugio to volunteer at. Volunteers return there time and time again to work. Everything is so well set up and organised for you - you won't have any doubts and you'll be able to carry out the volunteership with confidence. As you probably know, they also have another refugio at Miraz on the Northern route.

The CSJ hold a training day in London for new hospitaleros each year which is a brilliant day. I had the privilege of doing the training day with the CSJ in February last year before working at Rabanal the following July.

To be of service to pilgrims, and to be a part of village life on the Camino, is something that will stay with you - it brings so many rewards and is so fulfilling. You'll long to return!

Wherever you go, take joy in the wonderful hospitalera role.

Cheers - Jenny

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

It's doable, the downtime in between is essential. Speaking from experience having done this in Summer 2015. Much also will depend on your fellow hospitaleros. Good luck.

Serving (yes it is service and work!) as a hospitaler@ voluntari@ is an amazing experience, I have done the standard 2 week stint in Grañón, El Burgo Ranero, Ponferrada, Nájera and a few days in Zamora. But...as a few have mentioned, maybe best would be to plan on serving in one albergue or two then see how you feel. To be honest, I didn't "get" the two week thing until after I completed my first post in Grañón: it was the most exhilarating, emotional and exhausting experience I had ever had. But here I am 3+ years later still hoping to continue. For me the best combo is to serve then walk although this past summer I walked for a month then served in Nájera.

The Spanish Federation has not yet posted the courses for 2016. It usually happens after the yearly reunion in December (this year in Santiago to celebrate 25 years of volunteer work). Luckily I am off on Saturday to join.

Also I would emphasize: learn as much Spanish as you can. It will enrich your experience.

Good luck.

Cheers
Lee

Hi SafariGirl
I worked at Estella Parochial Albergue for 2 weeks this year and definitely echo the thoughts of others regarding doing a 2 week stint only, then a long break before doing it again. It is NOT a holiday. The Spanish federation require you to have walked a Camino and done a training course before they will post you to an albergue. I have written extensively about my experience but have not finished editing my draft yet, but send me a private message with your email address and I will send you my essay when finished (soon).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I enjoyed meeting you Camino-David early October. Friendly small albergue. Thanks for the chat and the hug :)

Hi SafariGirl
I worked at Estella Parochial Albergue for 2 weeks this year and definitely echo the thoughts of others regarding doing a 2 week stint only, then a long break before doing it again. It is NOT a holiday. The Spanish federation require you to have walked a Camino and done a training course before they will post you to an albergue. I have written extensively about my experience but have not finished editing my draft yet, but send me a private message with your email address and I will send you my essay when finished (soon).
@camino-david, may I also have a copy of your essay when you have finished it? I will send you a private message. I have a hope / dream of heading over to Spain, taking an immersion course in Spanish (I think other members have mentioned Alicante or Salamanca for this) then following it with a hospitalera stint and Camino. Still in the very, very early stages of this dream.......:)

It took me months of research before I was able to make any headway. I ended up in a training in Canada and then it was a few months waiting and emailing and finally found a placement. It was an awesome experience! I walked to my post in Granon from SJPP and then continued on to Santiago, Muxia and Finisterre.
The whole thing was very much worth the waiting and searching.
Do it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back