• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wild camping and legal alternatives

Pathfinder075

Time of past OR future Camino
Various Routes in (2016), (2017) and (2023).
Is their an alternative to wild camping for those that have to wild camp out of necessity? Do certain albergue allow a person to pitch a tent outside rather than sleep inside.

Through necessity i cant sleep in shared sleeping space, and am not rich enough to afford hotels.

Also from what ive read its impossible to cook a meal while walking a camino, since fires are illegal. This brings up the possibility of walking 300 miles without a hot meal.

You are probably scratching your heads about now, so i will explain.

I want to do a camino. But i have some problems. I outlined them earlier this year in a different part of the board. Basically i have a lot of allergies, mostly to nuts and oils. Basically sleeping in a shared space where someone might be eating or have eaten nuts, olive, sesame or almonds would result in me spending 12+ hours in a hospital. Also i am not rich enough to afford a hotel every night, in fact my budget for the walking part of the trip is unlikely to be much beyond 1000 euros. I can not eat in restaurants due to the above problem, which means i have to cook for myself.

So are their any alternatives people can suggest? Not doing it isnt a viable suggestion either.

I plan to walk at the start of April in the hope of avoiding the pollen issues from almond and olive trees, and return home by the start of June at the latest. The start of my walk will be Santander and I will probably look at air travel for the exit.

My current plans are to carry a light swag, and were to cook in advance once a day, over a lightweight stove, all my meals. I am intending to walk all day, with an aim at 15-20 miles per day, depending on terrain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
pathfinder, this is a little off topic, but but before you book it would be a good idea to be very certain of those flowering times, and revise your plans accordingly.
The trees were in full bloom on the CF this year (mid-late March) from Puente la Reina onward, except in mountainous and higher elevation areas--I especially remember the almonds between Los Arcos and Logrono. There were a lot of them. To me it was gorgeous (see attached pic)...but for you this would be the ultimate hell-realm. So while I don't want to be a killjoy, given the strength of your allergies I would urge you to consider an even earlier start--or perhaps even a winter camino?
It's totally understandable that not doing a camino is not an option, and you sound very determined so I am sure you'll find a way...but you will have to be extra-creative and flexible!
More on-topic, I never tried to camp but am sure others will offer their suggestions here--there was a tenting thread recently; have you checked there?
IMG_7404.JPG

Lots of campers set up in the little picnic groves that many towns have at the entrance or exit of town. Many of these have grills built of stone or brick, for picnickers to roast their weenies on. You can do your cooking there. When you get to town, just ask someone if there's a picnic area. A discreetly-placed tent will not cause a stir, unless of course you cause one of your own somehow.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am not the sort of person who causes stirs. I prefer to just get on with my own thing and not bother other people.

Thanks for the picnic area suggestion. Thats kind of what im after. Im not against stealthing the camps, but a swag is even less noticeable than a tent, but stands out in other ways. Im sure some aussies will spot it along the way. ;)

@Viranani, I was hoping that their would be less of them running across the Primitivo, and with the Norte being very coastal, that the same would hold true to some extent there. I was advised to avoid autumn, summer is probably a bad idea too, and now spring. So many things conspiring against me. :p

I will still walk in April. I will avoid as best i can, if not a mask maybe could be worn in bad areas, maybe a full face one, it would certainly open up points of conversation. :D

But seriously im damned if i will not go. I will probably pack double the medication now. I have options from that side that would make it do-able, but i would need to complete in 25 days or so (the max i like to take corticosteroids for). Thats the worst case scenario, but if taking 8 little tablets (on a step down regime) allowed me to complete then so be it.

I camped and it is wise to be stealthy and respectful. They are a little more easy going on the French Route but you still run the risk of a heavy fine. AND it does not hurt to ask. Many of the municipal alburgues especially in Galicia will let you camp. I did not eat many hot meals either. I especially stayed away from the Pilgrim's menu. Bread, cheese and fruits and vegetables can be found in most grocery stores. And certainly being prepared for eventualities or health concerns is also appreciated.

Is their an alternative to wild camping for those that have to wild camp out of necessity? Do certain albergue allow a person to pitch a tent outside rather than sleep inside.

My current plans are to carry a light swag, and were to cook in advance once a day, over a lightweight stove, all my meals. I am intending to walk all day, with an aim at 15-20 miles per day, depending on terrain.

I have much of the same issue with my MCS.
I have carried a lightweight screen tent and camped in some parts of the Camino.
There are several threads on this with people actually listing camping spots.
Rebecca is right on about spots right before or exiting villages.
As far as food, as obinjato said above, there are plenty of markets with fruits and vegetables.
I think what you're asking is doable. It will just take some planning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I walked the Norte last year there were several pilgrims with a tent, who camped outside albergues & were allowed to use showers and other facilities. Their experience was that if you just asked the hospitalero, they were mostly allowed to put their tent up next to the albergue. In fact, it was a win win for everyone involved, as albergues were sometimes full. I remember people camping at the albergues of Boo, Santillana del Mar, San Vicente, Cabuenes (the albergue is actually at a camping site), but I may have forgotten a few.
Hope it all works out for you. (the norte is a wonderfull walk)
Marc.

You may be pleasantly surprised at how little you are bothered by allergies while you walk.
I was on steroidal antiinflammatory regimens with alarming frequency before I moved to Spain -- I had out-of-control asthma triggered by allergies to nearly everything. My work and lifestyle were slowly killing me.
Now, nine years on, I live in an agricultural town with dogs, cats, chickens, fruit trees, gardens, etc. etc. going on all around me, but I am almost completely symptom-free. I still take over-the-counter allergy tablets in season, and the occasional puff of a Ventolin inhaler, but nothing more.
Which was unthinkable not so long ago.
By all means, bring your medicines and take necessary measures. But let yourself feel like you don't need them so much, and maybe you won't.

My husband had serious shoulder surgery just 5 weeks before we walked the Frances and he was still on a lot of opiate-based pain medication.
We carried a letter with us, in Spanish, with a full explanation and signed by his doctor and a solicitor. It was on letterhead and looked very formal. (We did this because we thought we might have trouble with customs entering the country, carrying those meds).
Perhaps carrying a similar document might help you too, if a local official gives you any problems.
Perhaps you could pre-empt the situation by being up-front, go to the local town hall or police station with your letter and ask where you might be able to pitch your swag - or go with it to the albergue and ask for special consideration.
People are mostly so nice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We were sternly rebuked by one hospitalero (just after Gernika?) for trying to put up a tent in the park opposite the albergue. He said that the rangers drive through all the time and wild camping is prohibited because it is an area of "natural beauty". Or something like that. We slept in his garage instead.

I am not the sort of person who causes stirs. I prefer to just get on with my own thing and not bother other people.

Thanks for the picnic area suggestion. Thats kind of what im after. Im not against stealthing the camps, but a swag is even less noticeable than a tent, but stands out in other ways. Im sure some aussies will spot it along the way. ;)

@Viranani, I was hoping that their would be less of them running across the Primitivo, and with the Norte being very coastal, that the same would hold true to some extent there. I was advised to avoid autumn, summer is probably a bad idea too, and now spring. So many things conspiring against me. :p

I will still walk in April. I will avoid as best i can, if not a mask maybe could be worn in bad areas, maybe a full face one, it would certainly open up points of conversation. :D

But seriously im damned if i will not go. I will probably pack double the medication now. I have options from that side that would make it do-able, but i would need to complete in 25 days or so (the max i like to take corticosteroids for). Thats the worst case scenario, but if taking 8 little tablets (on a step down regime) allowed me to complete then so be it.
Good news is that meds are super inexpensive in Spain, and often sold OTC, even if they really should require a prescription. This being said, olives are a common apetiser, bar food. Be forewarned. Pred is readily available, no questions asked, if that helps. FYI, not knowing anything about allergies, in May, on the Primitivo, I could smell the honey from the plants where it is harvested.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here in the US hikers do the appalachian trail, and they use a supported system for resupplies, with the Spanish postal service ( you could mail food for yourself ever so often) you could do very similar pack dehydrated foods, carry a 3oz alcohol stove and heat up your meals, it's not easy but with carefull planning it's duable.

Zzotte

Well if i can camp at albergues that solves the camping issue, and if i cant find one, or am just to tired, im sure i can build a camoflaged bivvy to grab some kip in.

Food it appears is sorted. I wont be eating out. I havent eaten out in over 5 years, its just to dangerous for me to do. I expect to live on rice, veg, meat and fish, and fruit for afters. At least that way i can control my diet. Occasional bottles of Rioja to help with sore feet, and a small bottle of Lagavulin for those times when a wee dram is required.

Medication, i will be carrying lots. The only things that are probably controlled will be the adrenaline and if i take a few caps of tram to cover that broken ankle in the middle of nowhere situation that will likely never happen (but its better to carry and not use, than need and not have). I will be carrying a medicine card pre-prepared with a list of the drugs i take, medical info for emergency services if it came to that, copies of prescriptions in case i need to restock anything.

One other thing i planned to do was to post out a resupply package using Ivar's luggage storage, just with a couple of epipens, meds, and maybe a second pair of shoes. Just so at the end if im running low on important supplies i know i have a care package waiting.

Anyways, thanks all for the answers and suggestions. I now have some ideas.

my budget for the walking part of the trip is unlikely to be much beyond 1000 euro

Then make absolutely sure you have a cheap sleeping mat or preferably an inflatable mattress, accept that you may need to beg, walk as lightly as you can but assume a need to sleep outside, but MOST importantly, remember it's your Camino, start to end, and get each morning up to walk as far as you like.

I'd advise getting all the medicine you need prior to departure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
..., accept that you may need to beg, ...

I don't think he will need to beg. 1000 Euro divided by 40 days for example results in 25 Euro per day. Not luxury, but completely doable. Buen Camino, SY

I don't think he will need to beg. 1000 Euro divided by 40 days for example results in 25 Euro per day. Not luxury, but completely doable. Buen Camino, SY
I agree, just staying away from the cafe con leche will help.

Ahh coffee. Will be carrying a bag of kenco. :) Probably 100 tea bags as well, so i can get the odd cup of Lapsang.

Since i have to avoid restaurants, it makes it somewhat cheaper. Since i can trust no processed foods, that makes it even cheaper.

@Jabba, yes i will be carrying everything medication wise i need, and probably a few things for those moments when it all goes to hell. I do the same when i go on any trip. Im afraid the light bit wont be happening though, the medication alone will probably take up about 2kg, bedding is about 6kg, rucksack unknown, etc. probably looking at 12-15kg. Ive been training by walking with two 10kg plates in a rucksack. I dont see any problem carrying that much given a correct pack setup.

While it will be bottom of the barrel level. I dont think begging will be required. As long as i have somewhere to boil a kettle or saucepan of water, have a steady supply of rice and veg, then life is fine. I can live that way for weeks without an issue (and have done in the past). The cost might be the odd bottles of vino i consume, and days of rest spent on campsites. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back