• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some info about the Via Campaniensis (Rocroi-Vézelay)

GunnarW

Time of past OR future Camino
2011+ > Spain, Belgium, France
I walked from Couvin (border Belgium) to Rocroi (border France) till Vezelay. This route is called the Via Campaniensis.
000-map-via-campaniensis.png
The association RP51 which means Randonneurs et Pélerins (from the department) 51 is taking care of the camino. They made a guide with maps, addresses and things to see. The guide is reviewed every year. Here is their site. http://www.randonneurs-pelerins.com/ (click ENTRER)

During my camino, I met 3 volunteers of RP51. They will give you the last news like for example a change in the route or a sleeping place that is closed.

I started walking the 17th of September and arrived in Vézelay at the 1st of October. The navigator told me that I walked 434 km.

There is a place to sleep almost every 10 to 20 km. As there are many families who are receiving pélerins, you need to call the evening before.

My longest distance was from Hauteville till Reims: 50,5 km. Reason: it was Sunday and the place in between didn’t offer a solution. So I walked early in the morning and arrived at Reims 13 hours later.

I was almost alone on the camino. I checked some guest books and saw that at that period, every two days, there is someone walking. Many pélerins are from Holland.

I will share some pictures here below.
0010-COUVIN (30c).JPG
Between Couvin and the French border, I checked my GPS and walked through a forest. Very difficult but very nice.

0033-SEVIGNY-LA-FORET (4b).JPG
Start of walking on the Via Campaniensis just after Rocroi.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
0100-LALOBBE (12b).JPG
Finally it stopped raining in Lalobbe

DSC03882.JPG
Early in the morning after Hauteville. Distance left to Santiago.

DSC03938.JPG
There is also a Meseta before the city Reims.

DSC03941.JPG
Finally the cathedral of Reims, but still 9 km to walk.

DSC03955.JPG
Reims after 4 days of walk

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It looks beautiful. What are the arrangements for accommodation? Is it a list of families who are prepared to host pilgrims, or a more commercial arrangement - chambre d'hotes?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Kanga,
Indeed, the camino is beautiful. It's a mixture of some woods - meadows - vine yards - small villages and at the end some hills.
About the arrangements: it's a mixtures of families, private gites, some gites communales (albergues), some parish houses and a few hotels. All the addresses and phone numbers are published in the RP51 guide. There are also some phone numbers in certain regions you can call and they can tell you where you can sleep. During my camino, two gites communales were shut down because the new maire decided so. One of those gites was just closed two weeks ago. But the employees of the townhall arranged for me a place where to sleep.
When I was walking into Sézanne, suddenly a yellow car stopped and a guy came to me. Jean-Luc told me he was a member of RP51 and gave me the last updates. So I took my guide and note all the new places and some places where the owners were on holiday. Also he showed me the parts of the road not to take because of too much mud or obstructed by works.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Thank you so much for sharing your information.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
DSC04145.JPG
After Sézanne, you follow an old railroad track. The railroad is behind the marker.

DSC04149.JPG

DSC04177.JPG
After Clesles, your campagnon is an old canal.

DSC04180.JPG
From now on till Troyes, which is the next important city, you need to follow the old canal. You can walk at the left side in the grass or at the right side on the asphalt.
DSC04181.JPG
You can countdown the kilometers till Troyes: from Mery Sur Seine, 22 km to walk.

DSC04188.JPG
At the right side, behind the bushes is the river Seine, the most romantic river of the world sung in many songs... in Paris more exactly. So let's make a little detour to see how the Seine is in full nature.

DSC04186.JPG
The Seine, well hidden!

DSC04207.JPG
Back to the canal as there are still kilometers to walk till Troyes

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
DSC04219.JPG
Troyes. The house in front stands right, don't worry. But some of the old house aren't.

DSC04223.JPG
DSC04222.JPG
Leaving Troyes happens (now) on the Voie Verte: the green way. One hour of walk (5km) leaving the city without traffic, without noise.
DSC04257.JPG
After Troyes, the beautiful land of Othe
DSC04263.JPG

Last edited:
Heading to Flogny La Chapelle
DSC04276.JPG

DSC04279.JPG

DSC04286.JPG

DSC04287.JPG
Arrived at Ervy Le Chatel

It looks stunning. Beautiful photography. Now, if there were just a few more pilgrims to meet.....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Meeting some pilgrims could be nice. Searching for the advantage of not meeting other pilgrims: no rush for a bed.

DSC04309.JPG
After Flogny La Chapelle: again a walk along a canal: Le canal de Bourgondie, only during 4 to 5 km.

DSC04318.JPG
The small church of St Jacques at Bernouil built in the 17th century.

DSC04326.JPG
Chablis is the next town, known also for their famous wine.

Last edited:
DSC04343.JPG
Again a walk through the vine yards after Chablis. There are more ups and down here.

DSC04347.JPG

DSC04361.JPG
The village St Cyr Les Colons has a beautiful four stars auberge but it was too early for me to stop.

DSC04368.JPG
Back on the Via Campaniensis.

I took a picture of myself showing my credencial. The places where the Mairie (Commune hall) was open, I asked for "un tampon" (sello). The image on a communal stamp is always the same: it represents the Marianne, the female symbol of France. At my back, you can see the church of Cravant, another small and very nice town.
DSC04378.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A walk through Cravant
DSC04388.JPG

Leaving Cravant early in the morning hoping to arrive Vézelay in the afternoon. I took this picture just after Cravant on top of the hill.
0900-CRAVANT (16b).JPG

0910-BESSY-SUR-CURE (16b).JPG
Arcy-sur-Cure
0915-ARCY-SUR-CURE (5b).JPG
Close to St Moré
0920-ST-MORE (11b).JPG

0920-ST-MORE (28b).JPG

The first time you can see Vézelay is just behind this farm.
0930-ASQUINS-SOMBRE (6c).JPG
It was not described in the guide that Vézelay was already visible at a certain point on this difficult road.
0930-ASQUINS-SOMBRE (11e).JPG
The camera set on full zoom. Still 2 hours to walk.
0930-ASQUINS-SOMBRE (11d).JPG

0930-ASQUINS-SOMBRE (16b).JPG

0930-ASQUINS-SOMBRE (25b).JPG
The last village before Vézelay is Asquins
0930-ASQUINS-SOMBRE (29b).JPG

The last kilometer is quite challenging climbing up the hill
0931-ASQUINS-VEZELAY-SOMBRE (6b).JPG

0935-ASQUINS-VEZELAY-CLAIR (22b).JPG
Finally
0936-VEZELAY-presentatie-aankomst-5.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Gunnar, How is the asphalt ratio after Troyes? I read it gets a little better after that point. Kind regards, Frauke

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back