• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo female on Camino Portugal

Wendy Michael

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting my camino April 2014
I am a 56 year old female looking to walk the Camino Portugal from Lisbon, possible Aug-Sept 2015 or 2016.
Completed Camino Frances from SJP to Santiago in May this year. Have a few questions. Is there a problem with accommodation along the way, I tend not to want to pre-book if possible.. Also I gather that accom prices are dearer then the French Way. Are there many pilgrims walking from Lisbon to Porto as i really do not like being "Femme Solo"

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Wendy. I planned to walk solo from Lisbon this year in May. I'm not an experienced solo traveller and was a little anxious but determined to face the challenge. In the event I noticed on this forum that another solo female was setting off at the same time. Contact was made and we duly met up and shared accommodation in the city before setting off together, not knowing if we would stay in eachother's company for just a few hours or the whole route.

As it happened we got on famously and remained walking partners up to Porto. This was a great experience. We came across many more pilgrims walking the Lisbon/Porto stage than I was expecting. It was useful to be part of a 'couple' because there were quite a few overnight stops where we stayed in hostels and it was cheaper to share a room.

At Porto I took the plunge and walked the remainder of the route solo, which I also thoroughly enjoyed.

I would say you need have no worries about walking alone if that is what you choose. The accommodation might be a little more expensive until Porto, but overall it won't make that much difference, maybe 50 euros, depending on the stages you walk.

You have plenty of time to try and find a walking partner if that is what you want. For me, it was good to start this unknown adventure with a new friend. Even if it had just been for the first day, it would have given me confidence to continue alone. I will not feel so anxious on my next camino about setting off solo.

I'm sure you will have many questions to ask before your camino. You might find some helpful information about the route and accommodation by clicking this link to my blog.

Bom caminho!

Hi Wendy, I have just returned from my Portugese Camino which I walked solo in June/July. I started in Lisboa expecting the walk to be lonely and it was. I met a lovely Italian couple and two Americans along the way and it did happen twice that I was alone in a pension.It was a challenge to be all by myself and not meeting other peregrinos before Porto. At the same time I really enjoyed it, it was great just being me and being in charge. There are more kilometers between accomodation unless you want to check into a hotel, some days I walked 30 - 35 km in order to get to an accomodation listed in Brierlys guide. The accomodation would be a hostel or a pension at 10 - 15 € often including breakfast. Pensions also mean clean towels and bedcloths and possible the option of encountering a washingmashine like I did in Pensao Ribatejana in Vilafranca de Xira. It is possible to divide the long stretches into shorter walks, you can find information on that elsewhere on this forum.
After Porto I met other pilgrims, it was wonderful and I really enjoyed the talks, the laughs and the company. Maybe part of it was due to the walk without meeting other pilgrims.
I am grateful I got to walk solo out of Lisboa to Porto, it was a good experience and I'm glad I did it. I met so many friendly and welcoming Portugese people and never felt unsafe.
It seems like more people are walking the Portugese Camino, it is a beautiful camino and I will definitely do it all over again.
Buon camino to you and do not hesitate if you have other questions.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Wendy,
I too walked this way as a single female in June/July this year (Ekelund, I wander how close/far we were to meeting??). I was initially nervous starting out from Lisbon by myself not knowing if it was "safe" or not because I was walking solo, but I never had any problems. I didn't meet anyone for the first 8 days (and most nights was alone in the hostels), and then I met a Polish girl, a French man and an Italian man and we caught up most nights until Porto - it was terrific to have the company after a week by myself, but it was also an interesting experience having the solitude. There were definitely more pilgrims from Porto onwards.
What will always stand out in my mind is the generosity and friendliness of the Portuguese people, so many beautiful memories.
I wrote a blog about my experience here: followingthearrows.wordpress.com

Buen Camino!
kat

Read the blog mentioned above, it's a great read.

Hi Wendy, I have just returned from my Portugese Camino which I walked solo in June/July. I started in Lisboa expecting the walk to be lonely and it was. I met a lovely Italian couple and two Americans along the way and it did happen twice that I was alone in a pension.It was a challenge to be all by myself and not meeting other peregrinos before Porto. At the same time I really enjoyed it, it was great just being me and being in charge. There are more kilometers between accomodation unless you want to check into a hotel, some days I walked 30 - 35 km in order to get to an accomodation listed in Brierlys guide. The accomodation would be a hostel or a pension at 10 - 15 € often including breakfast. Pensions also mean clean towels and bedcloths and possible the option of encountering a washingmashine like I did in Pensao Ribatejana in Vilafranca de Xira. It is possible to divide the long stretches into shorter walks, you can find information on that elsewhere on this forum.
After Porto I met other pilgrims, it was wonderful and I really enjoyed the talks, the laughs and the company. Maybe part of it was due to the walk without meeting other pilgrims.
I am grateful I got to walk solo out of Lisboa to Porto, it was a good experience and I'm glad I did it. I met so many friendly and welcoming Portugese people and never felt unsafe.
It seems like more people are walking the Portugese Camino, it is a beautiful camino and I will definitely do it all over again.
Buon camino to you and do not hesitate if you have other questions.

Hi Wendy,
I am planning on doing the Camino solo in June. Is the way hard to navigate out of Lisbon?
Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am planning on doing the Camino solo in June. Is the way hard to navigate out of Lisbon?

Hi Megan, I started my camino in front of the Cathedral in Lisbon and on that day, there was a religious event going on in the Cathedral with a lot of flowers on the stairs in front of the Cathedral, right where the first arrow was. My guidebook told me to go to the right around the Cathedral and so I did and found the next arrow close after. I often find it hard to follow the arrows in a big city but I did not have any difficulties finding my way out of Lisbon. And it is a lovely walk through narrow streets and squares and along the riverfront.
Buen Camino to you.

I found it relatively easy to follow arrows out of Lisbon but, as is often the case, it is a bit harder when in large cities. The ability to follow a map will easily get you to your first stop although you may be on a parallel path to the yellow arrows. If you want to make life really easy, use an offline GPS map like the Here iPhone app.

Thanks for all the commentary. I start walking - on my own - from Lisbon on 12 May 2016. I am excited but a bit nervous at the same time. Safety is always a concern, especially with some of the scarey things mentioned on this forum, but I will trust in the way and hopefully meet some friendly faces along the way. I think the solo experience will be good for me and will provide a completely different Camino. All the best, Mel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for all the commentary. I start walking - on my own - from Lisbon on 12 May 2016. I am excited but a bit nervous at the same time. Safety is always a concern, especially with some of the scarey things mentioned on this forum, but I will trust in the way and hopefully meet some friendly faces along the way. I think the solo experience will be good for me and will provide a completely different Camino. All the best, Mel

Buen Camino, Stripey Socks. I hope you'll have a wonderful Camino!

Hi, Stripey Socks, the Portuguese Caminho is an extremely safe place. For years now, the Via Lusitana (Lisbon based caminho group) has operated a 24/7 Pilgrim SOS phone service.

They can help you in English, Spanish, Portuguese or German. 915 595 213

I know someone who called when lost in a eucalyptus forest and was able to navigate her way out with the help of a phone companion. These guys know the terrain and the Caminho very well. It's a nice reassurance to have in your pocket.

Bom caminho! Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Many thanks Laurie. I don't intend to carry a phone - one less thing to carry - but hopefully I will be OK. I intend to walk along the coast from Porto around to Valenca/Tui and have found some great maps.

This forum is such a fantastic resource for information AND moral support. All the best Mel

Hi Wendy it is now 2015 and I am planning on walking the Portuguese Camino in September 2016 from Porto to Santiago. Are you still looking for travelling companion? I will be 57 by then.

It is early days of planning for me but feel the excitement already. I will be doing it the simple way, walking and looking for economical places to stay and eat.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back