• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my walk april 2016

BillyB

Time of past OR future Camino
april 2016
Hello all,
I just found this site. Its fantastic. After months of contemplation, I've decided to start my Camino on saturday april 16th. Im from the USA and want to make sure I'm home for my sons Wedding on 6/3. I was actually thinking of having him meet me in Santiago for a few days when I finish. I have been reading all the books and watching all the videos. If anyone has any helpful information about leaving this time of year, I would greatly appreciate it. Im not quite sure about the temperature this time of the year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all,
I just found this site. Its fantastic. After months of contemplation, I've decided to start my Camino on saturday april 16th. Im from the USA and want to make sure I'm home for my sons Wedding on 6/3. I was actually thinking of having him meet me in Santiago for a few days when I finish. I have been reading all the books and watching all the videos. If anyone has any helpful information about leaving this time of year, I would greatly appreciate it. Im not quite sure about the temperature this time of the year.
Hi Billy, the temperature this year was great and not to much rain.
But it can be totally different next year, nobody knows.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hello all,
Hi Billy, I start on the 14th, you might catch up! Enjoy the planning ☺️

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the forum @BillyB - if you can't find the answer to a question (try the search function, or one of the tags on the front page) - then ask away. Lots of us to help. You might also want to put yourself on the calendar - and see who else is leaving on the same day.

Hello all,
it could rain a lot and be cold (5-15 ºC daytime), early morning swill be very chilly and nights as well. you could also be lucky and not see a drop of rain, meaning that we have a drought :-( during the day, if the sun is out, it can be rather pleasant, with temperatures between 15 - 25 ºC. all of teh above applies for the Meseta as well.
Buen Camino!
jeff

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi BillyB - keep a look out for two Kiwi's. My sister and I are planning our start on 15 April, so may just see you there :)
Will do Jen, Im getting into St Jean the 14th so I may be starting on the 15 too. I will leave when the weather is the best.

Hi Billy, I start on the 14th, you might catch up! Enjoy the planning ☺️
Hi,

We will start our stage 1 SJPDP on April 29th! Happy planning and for sure it's a gorgeous month, not so sure about the weather thou. Let's keep positive thoughts, good idea on what you are doing right now, You Tube's videos helped me a lot too! Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Billy. I'm starting from SJPdP April 18th. My thought from reading other forums--search for "April" and you'll get loads of information--is that weather can be cool and changeable. I'm debating whether to bring a lightweight down jacket. Know for sure I'm bringing a sleeping bag, a warm base layer, and rain jacket and pants. Hope to see you!

Hello all,
Hi Billie. Starting my walk on the 14th or 15th of April with friend Craig. Look for 2 old guys going slow and having a lot of fun. This will be my 3rd and longest camino.
Be prepared for 4 season weather conditions, especially RAIN. It's a long walk. Pack light, take your time, walk into your camino, avoid a set schedule, freestyle is the way to go. You can always make up time via a bus or taxi. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Hi Billie. Starting my walk on the 14th or 15th of April with friend Craig. Look for 2 old guys going slow and having a lot of fun. This will be my 3rd and longest camino.
Be prepared for 4 season weather conditions, especially RAIN. It's a long walk. Pack light, take your time, walk into your camino, avoid a set schedule, freestyle is the way to go. You can always make up time via a bus or taxi. Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Thank you for the advice! Im a first timer and traveling alone. I will probably be leaving on the 13th or 14th so hopefully we'll see each other. Im an old guy too so I'm sure i won't be breaking any camino speed records. I do hope to make Roncesvalles the first day. I have also read that the napoleon route was closed in one of the blogs. I don't know how you close a path. Have you seen that? I had planned on bringing a poncho for the rain, (lighter then a rain coat and rain pants). Do you think thats adequate for that time of year?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Billy. I'm starting from SJPdP April 18th. My thought from reading other forums--search for "April" and you'll get loads of information--is that weather can be cool and changeable. I'm debating whether to bring a lightweight down jacket. Know for sure I'm bringing a sleeping bag, a warm base layer, and rain jacket and pants. Hope to see you!
Hi Sabbott! My first camino so I'm gathering information too about clothing. I was thinking the same thing, wearing a ultra lite down Northface and a poncho. My only concern was that if it got wet, it would be cold. I really don't have any idea on what cloths to bring. Ive been reading that the weather should be 40-60 degrees. Some have posted that its 4 season weather. I see your from Vermont. My son went to UVM. Im a big fan of Vermont.

I'll be on the Meseta from April 7 on. I've checked avg temps and weather conditions in the region. I take daily walks to other buildings all over my research campus and every day have been experimenting with different layers of light jacket combo's and Macabi skirt with different layers of leggings (when it's been dreary and snowy like today). Just to get a feel for how many layers I'd need at the lower end of the temp averages. So far no down in the equation.

Hi Sabbott! My first camino so I'm gathering information too about clothing. I was thinking the same thing, wearing a ultra lite down Northface and a poncho. My only concern was that if it got wet, it would be cold. I really don't have any idea on what cloths to bring. Ive been reading that the weather should be 40-60 degrees. Some have posted that its 4 season weather. I see your from Vermont. My son went to UVM. Im a big fan of Vermont.
I'm a big fan of Vermont too, Billy! My son also went to UVM....Like GreatDane above, I've been doing practice walks with different layers in our wet and chilly VT weather. I had on my down jacket under a raincoat today, and even though it was just 35 degrees out, I became too warm. So I'm thinking: merino base layer, some kind of fleece shirt, and a rain jacket may be enough for those first few April weeks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You only need a rain coat, rain pants or poncho & a tight woven fleece. For mid April when it rains for days you will need something that can keep you warm when wet.
I love rain pants as the mud is an issue, that is very slick mud very many fall.

Thank you for the advice! Im a first timer and traveling alone. I will probably be leaving on the 13th or 14th so hopefully we'll see each other. Im an old guy too so I'm sure i won't be breaking any camino speed records. I do hope to make Roncesvalles the first day. I have also read that the napoleon route was closed in one of the blogs. I don't know how you close a path. Have you seen that? I had planned on bringing a poncho for the rain, (lighter then a rain coat and rain pants). Do you think thats adequate for that time of year?
Sorry to take so long to respond. there are 2 ways to go, over or around. The Spanish government starting closing the over route this year. Even when open you need to ask in SJPD if its safe to go over. The around route is open all year. SJPD to Roncesvalles is where most pilgrims hurt themselves with overuse injuries. If your older and this is your first camino I would suggest that you break SJPD to Roncesvalles into 2 days of walking. Poncho---I use a Ferrino Trekker RP L/XL. its a long sleeve zip up poncho like the Altus. You can buy them from Amazon. Other than sweat, I and my pack stay dry. On the negative side your lower pant legs will get wet and regardless of what kind of rain gear you wear, your feet are going to get wet. I'm adding lite weight gaiters this year because of mud. We may have to start in Roncesvalles due to a ongoing heart issue. Hope to have it fixed next week and when I'm cleared I can do some serious training. Time will tell. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

P.S. I'll be the one who responds to Buen Camino with Happy Trails.

Happy Trails
Hi Urban Trekker, I'm starting in SJPP on the 14th April, Hope to see you out there! I have just had confirmation of a bed at Orisson for that night (booked just in case, I'd like to keep going but it's security in case of weather. If I don't want it someone else surely will). I'm having a full day in SJPP the day before and will possibly be starting out with another forum member.
Cathy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Urban Trekker, I'm starting in SJPP on the 14th April, Hope to see you out there! I have just had confirmation of a bed at Orisson for that night (booked just in case, I'd like to keep going but it's security in case of weather. If I don't want it someone else surely will). I'm having a full day in SJPP the day before and will possibly be starting out with another forum member.
Cathy
Stopping in Orisson is a wise decision. Just remember to check and see if its safe to cross the mountains. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I have just had confirmation of a bed at Orisson for that night (booked just in case, I'd like to keep going but it's security in case of weather.
Hi, Cathy. I emailed Orisson both directly and through their site about 2 weeks ago about a room for April 18th and haven't heard back. How long did it take for them to reply to you? Thanks, Susan

Hi Susan, it took a while. I first emailed my request on Nov 5 and did't get a reply until Nov 26 (3 weeks). That email confirmed availability and said they would request a Paypal payment. I replied that day and asked them to forward an invoice for payment which I then received on Dec 6 (10 days later). I'm sure you will hear from them soon. Buen Camino!

The email address I used is refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr

Buen Camino, Cathy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Susan, it took a while. I first emailed my request on Nov 5 and did't get a reply until Nov 26 (3 weeks). That email confirmed availability and said they would request a Paypal payment. I replied that day and asked them to forward an invoice for payment which I then received on Dec 6 (10 days later). I'm sure you will hear from them soon. Buen Camino!

Buen Camino, Cathy
Thanks, Cathy! They are no doubt busy.

sabbott
I, too, am starting on April 18th. Leaving Florida on the 15th, overnighting outside Pamplona on the 16th, arriving St. Jean on the 17th. Perhaps we can trade notes on packing for the April/May weather. Maybe we'll cross paths on the Camino.
Jeff Zimmerman

sabbott
I, too, am starting on April 18th. Leaving Florida on the 15th, overnighting outside Pamplona on the 16th, arriving St. Jean on the 17th. Perhaps we can trade notes on packing for the April/May weather. Maybe we'll cross paths on the Camino.
Jeff Zimmerman
Thanks for writing, Jeff, hope to see you at the start of the walk. I started a thread "Need help packing for two seasons" if you want to check out some of the helpful responses there. I'd be happy to share my packing list if you'd like. Still trying to decide on whether to take the down jacket...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Buen Camino, Cathy

My wife and I are going about the same time, and have the same experience booking Orisson........they move slooooooowly. Nevertheless, we are staying there the night of April 13th, and will take it one day at a time from there. Probably see you on the road.

My wife and I are going about the same time, and have the same experience booking Orisson........they move slooooooowly. Nevertheless, we are staying there the night of April 13th, and will take it one day at a time from there. Probably see you on the road.
HI Rick, welcome to the forum. I'm sure we'll cross paths somewhere.

Buen Camino, Cathy

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello all,
Billy B - I have not yet made my camino - yet I have been to Santiago before. It is the most amazing place. I wanted to live there. Perhaps having your son spend a few days there with you would be amazing!
Michele

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi People -- I am starting from Roncesvalles on April 15 (or 16) and am really slow, so expect will see some of you. Look for a little old lady moving like a snail. My clothes plan is layers. For top, have smart wool sweater, fleece, and rain jacket. Below, Macabi skirt, leggings light and heavy. Think a pair of lightweight pants, a couple short sleeve t-shirts, one long sleeve shirt. Getting excited!

... My clothes plan is layers. For top, have smart wool sweater, fleece, and rain jacket. Below, Macabi skirt, leggings light and heavy. Think a pair of lightweight pants, a couple short sleeve t-shirts, one long sleeve shirt. ...

Layers is good, but your plan sounds a bit like a portable sauna ;-) Buen Camino, SY

SYates what would you do differently with respect to stuff I have? Thanks!

It would be easier to answer that if you post your full packing list. Also consider that April is spring in Spain, granted the mountains can still be coolish, but mostly you will have warm, even hot, days with coolish evenings. Buen Camino, SY

Billy B - I have not yet made my camino - yet I have been to Santiago before. It is the most amazing place. I wanted to live there. Perhaps having your son spend a few days there with you would be amazing!
Michele
Michele,
I definitely plan on a day of rest and a couple days of celebration in Santiago.

sabbott
Jeff Zimmerman
Jeff,
Im just starting to plan my packing list. I have a house in jersey so i have been walking here in December. Unfortunately its been 60 degrees here so I'm really not sure how to pack.

Hi People -- I am starting from Roncesvalles on April 15 (or 16) and am really slow, so expect will see some of you. Look for a little old lady moving like a snail. My clothes plan is layers. For top, have smart wool sweater, fleece, and rain jacket. Below, Macabi skirt, leggings light and heavy. Think a pair of lightweight pants, a couple short sleeve t-shirts, one long sleeve shirt. Getting excited!

lmsundaze, I've been mulling over my packing list for a few weeks now, and decided to go with a lighter merino wool 150 weight long-sleeved shirt (rather than the heavier 250 weight) as I figure that will be good in warmer weather. For tops I'm also taking two technical tee shirts, a lightweight fleece, and a rain jacket with vents.

For the bottom half, I'll have a pair of merino wool leggings, lightweight hiking pants, rain pants, and a Royal Robbins knee length hiking skirt. I figure I can wear all four at the same time if necessary!

I'm starting a few days after you, maybe I'll catch up and say hi. I have a reservation at Orisson for April 18th, should the Napoleon Pass be open.

Hi Imsundaze, I am setting off from SJPP on the 14th and have booked at Orrison for that night, then on to Roncesvalles on the 15th. So, highly likely that we may cross paths on your first or second day :)

Cathy
Hi Cathy, the albergue Orisson is a nice place to stay. You will have the evening meal
together and after everyone will introduce themselves.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It would be easier to answer that if you post your full packing list. Also consider that April is spring in Spain, granted the mountains can still be coolish, but mostly you will have warm, even hot, days with coolish evenings. Buen Camino, SY

OK here is my tentative packing list, 3 month ahead. All comments welcome.
Camino Packing List
(Including wearing)
3 pairs underwear
3 pairs socks
sea and summit day pack
sleeping bag
macabi skirt
1 pair leggings
travel pants
2 short sleeve shirts
1 long sleeve shirt
smartwool sweater
fleece
rain jacket
running shorts
hat
gloves
buff
camp towel
toothbrush
small toothpaste
small soap
toilet paper
medications
hair brush
crocs
trail runners
iphone
charger
ear buds
passport
credencial
debit card/credit card
sun screen
safety pins
ziploc bags

Comments in italics, where relevant:

travel pants - if you walk in the skirt and wear the leggings whilst skirt is drying you can leave that one at home.
2 short sleeve shirts/1 long sleeve shirt - one and one
smartwool sweater/fleece - either or
running shorts - pants, skirt or shorts, make your decision, you need two set of ' leg wear', not more.
trail runners - your main shoes/boots I assume?

Looks pretty good so far! Congratulations! SY

What about compeed ???? often needed and easy to pack, light and very usefull :)
And a little Swiss army knife to slice that Manchego cheese
See U in april
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Jeff,
Im just starting to plan my packing list. I have a house in jersey so i have been walking here in December. Unfortunately its been 60 degrees here so I'm really not sure how to pack.
BillyB
I live in Central Florida but spent the holidays in Ohio. My training walks had a few days in the 60's, but also many days in the teens and 20's. I've found walking with temps in the 20's is comfortable with layers. For the base layer, I use biking leggings and arm warmers( REI brand), a short sleeve base layer running shirt, a wind-resistant vest and then jacket and convertible pants. And gloves and a beanie hat. I also plan to pack a fleece jacket to wear when it's cold and I'm not walking. If the temps get into the 30's, I shed the arm and leg warmers. If it get's into the 40's, the vest or jacket comes off. Into the 50's, the pants convert to shorts. So I think I have the cold weather covered. As most have commented, packing for rain is key. You'll generate plenty of body heat by walking, but if you get wet, you'll lose all that heat quickly.
I arrive St. Jean on April 17, start walking on the 18th. So we'll likely meet up along the way.

BillyB
I live in Central Florida but spent the holidays in Ohio. My training walks had a few days in the 60's, but also many days in the teens and 20's. I've found walking with temps in the 20's is comfortable with layers. For the base layer, I use biking leggings and arm warmers( REI brand), a short sleeve base layer running shirt, a wind-resistant vest and then jacket and convertible pants. And gloves and a beanie hat. I also plan to pack a fleece jacket to wear when it's cold and I'm not walking. If the temps get into the 30's, I shed the arm and leg warmers. If it get's into the 40's, the vest or jackt comes off. Into the 50's, the pants convert to shorts. So I think I have the cold weather covered. As most have commented, packing for rain is key. You'll generate plenty of body heat by walking, but if you get wet, you'll lose all that heat quickly.
I arrive St. Jean on April 17, start walking on the 18th. So we'll likely meet up along the way.
Hey Jeff
Im in Jupiter florida . Ive been walking around 8 miles a day to get ready.
I just made my REI run too. I plan on wearing a merino wool long sleeve base shirt, light sweater and marmot rain shell. under armor shorts and hiking pants. I'm also bringing a fleece. I plan on starting my walk on the 12th or 13th so ill probably be a bit ahead of you. Enjoy your trip
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back