• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Starting to Mess with my Head!

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
Its official; I am already starting to notice seriously worrying changes in my behaviour.
It started several months ago, when I got in the habit of popping 3 kilos of of rice into my backpack for training walks - to make it up to my Camino weight.
(Down to 2 kg of rice now, but will probably dispense with them altogether as did a 'test-weigh' of my pack to find it came in at over 10.5 kilos). Could be heading for a Lamb Bhuna tonight to start depleting the rice stocks! (Vegetarian options are available).
My longer walks are up to around 14 miles now, and with the exception of a few aching joints I feel pretty good on it.
The latest change I have noticed in myself, however, was weather-related. I had been deliberating for what seems like ages around the ponchos-waterproof jacket discussion and had eventually made my choice, buying a 'Mountain Equipment' jacket and some Burghaus trousers. The morning that I made the purchase, it was lashing down with rain; you know, the sort that comes in sideways. I drove home, clutching my new purchases and couldn't wait to try them out.
I raced into the house, quickly made up a backpack, and got as far as cutting off the labels off the new gear, when . . . the rain stopped, the clouds cleared and the sun came out.
I have never before been disappointed to see the sun before ( I live in the UK so we kind of treat the sun as a long-lost friend who only calls around on rare occasions), but as I say, the Camino is already messing with my head!
Can't wait for May next year ( I leave St Jean on May 4th) and hope to see some of you there ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Its official; I am already starting to notice seriously worrying changes in my behaviour.
It started several months ago, when I got in the habit of popping 3 kilos of of rice into my backpack for training walks - to make it up to my Camino weight.
(Down to 2 kg of rice now, but will probably dispense with them altogether as did a 'test-weigh' of my pack to find it came in at over 10.5 kilos). Could be heading for a Lamb Bhuna tonight to start depleting the rice stocks! (Vegetarian options are available).
My longer walks are up to around 14 miles now, and with the exception of a few aching joints I feel pretty good on it.
The latest change I have noticed in myself, however, was weather-related. I had been deliberating for what seems like ages around the ponchos-waterproof jacket discussion and had eventually made my choice, buying a 'Mountain Equipment' jacket and some Burghaus trousers. The morning that I made the purchase, it was lashing down with rain; you know, the sort that comes in sideways. I drove home, clutching my new purchases and couldn't wait to try them out.
I raced into the house, quickly made up a backpack, and got as far as cutting off the labels off the new gear, when . . . the rain stopped, the clouds cleared and the sun came out.
I have never before been disappointed to see the sun before ( I live in the UK so we kind of treat the sun as a long-lost friend who only calls around on rare occasions), but as I say, the Camino is already messing with my head!
Can't wait for May next year ( I leave St Jean on May 4th) and hope to see some of you there ;)
What ........:confused: ? You were all set to try out your new rain gear when the sun came out ...... and you didn't jump in the shower instead :confused: :confused: ?? No way is the Camino messing with your head! ;)

Brilliant thread. Really made me laugh this morning! As I've said before, we Camino walkers are all a little bit essentric--- the way we dress , the slight obsession (slight!!!) with the Camino,communal sleeping and eating etc etc.i love being a bit essentric---why not! I haven't met many people in uk who have done the Camino but when we met another obsessive Camino walker in Italy, it was like meeting a long lost friend even though we'd never seen him before!!!! Defenitely messed up are we not??? So good luck on your Camino next year and boldly go where so many have gone before you! Best wishes Annette

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good choice on the jacket, Mountain Equipment make high end quality jackets..as for cutting off the labels I would consider waiting till the warranty runs out.

I bought a rain jacket a week ago with my April Camino Frances in mind. I had to wait until Wednesday to try it out -- we had lots of rain and high winds here that day. I'm so excited that the jacket worked well! But my 'water resistant' pants will need to be augmented by full fledged rain pants, sigh.

I do not have my pack yet, and the longest I've walked this fall is around 10 miles (though that was up and down a mountain). By inches, I'm getting ready!

I'm with you on being in 'Camino Head'.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I bought a rain jacket a week ago with my April Camino Frances in mind. I had to wait until Wednesday to try it out -- we had lots of rain and high winds here that day. I'm so excited that the jacket worked well! But my 'water resistant' pants will need to be augmented by full fledged rain pants, sigh.

I do not have my pack yet, and the longest I've walked this fall is around 10 miles (though that was up and down a mountain). By inches, I'm getting ready!

I'm with you on being in 'Camino Head'.
Hola Priscilla, Lots of good advice from ladies on this forum re pack selection. A well fitted pack makes all the difference. Think about walking sticks as well. Buen Camino.

Brilliant thread. Really made me laugh this morning! As I've said before, we Camino walkers are all a little bit essentric--- the way we dress , the slight obsession (slight!!!) with the Camino,communal sleeping and eating etc etc.i love being a bit essentric---why not! I haven't met many people in uk who have done the Camino but when we met another obsessive Camino walker in Italy, it was like meeting a long lost friend even though we'd never seen him before!!!! Defenitely messed up are we not??? So good luck on your Camino next year and boldly go where so many have gone before you! Best wishes Annette
Thanks for the positive comments Annette; nice to know my slightly offbeat sense of humour is appreciated :). I can't wait for it to start now that I've got most of the kit together.
Probably 'speak' again on the forum sometime soon.
Frank

Just purchased my rain pants, all of the clothing line is together. We work out during the week and walk 8-12 miles each week end with out loaded packs, we get closer to March we will extend out mileage. We get to do a lot of rain walks here in Washington state.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ditto on the head mess. My first Camino is this spring. Instead of working, I have spent the last three days researching packs, trying on packs, buying packs, returning packs, loading and unloading packs, and walking up and down hills with packs full of dirty laundry. Still haven't settled on THE pack, but two more are set to arrive Thursday!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back